Scott Heine - Protectors

SAVeira

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 years later...

Re: Scott Heine - Protectors

Well, I have colored versions of the original illos for Quasar, Maelstrom, Brainstorm, and Doctor Wraithe from To Serve And Protect as JPEG files, which I found a while back on a now-defunct website. I'm actually trying to contact Scott Heine for permission to repost them. If he agrees I'll put them up here.

For what it's worth' date=' some of the illos being posted here are merely ones that other people have scanned from [i']To Serve and Protect[/i] and colored themselves (sometimes incorrectly -- Maelstrom and Quasar, in particular), and quality is pretty sketchy (Huntsman, for example).

I know that the Huntsman is mine (colored pencils, by the way, I hadn't learned digital coloring yet). It didn't scan well, at all. I'm not sure about the other two that you mention. They might be mine. It's funny how many different interpretations can be derived from a verbal description.

If possible, maybe you could post your "proper" versions of those characters. Pretty please. :)

For what it's worth' date=' some of the illos being posted here are merely ones that other people have scanned from [i']To Serve and Protect[/i] and colored themselves (sometimes incorrectly -- Maelstrom and Quasar, in particular), and quality is pretty sketchy (Huntsman, for example).

Let's see the descriptions from To Serve and Protect:

Maelstrom: "For a uniform, Dr. Ford has chosen a dark purple outfit with large yellow inserts. His hair is a tussled silver, and he is usually draped in a purple cloak with yellow striping." Looking at the original illustration, I would guess that all the black parts ih the colored file should have been purple, and the purple lining of the cloak should be yellow too.

Quasar: "In battle, Quasar wears an ornate white uniform with starry black sleeves and leggings. The trimming on his boots and gloves is bright gold, as is his hair and glowing eyes. His wings are a soft white." Sounds pretty close to the colored version attached here.

BTW according to his textual description, Dr. Wraithe's tunic is supposed to be dark blue, but otherwise his color scheme matches. Brainstorm seems just about bang-on.

Huntsman does look "off" (no offense to aylwin 13), but IMO the others look pretty good, particularly Quasar.

I wonder if Scott's Avatar comes from Quasar... specifically the starry night vibe.

If you read the thread' date=' Scott did say that Quasar was his character. My guess is that his avatar is Quasar's chest:[/quote']

Scott's avatar certainly looks like the symbol from Quasar's uniform in TSAP. Pretty snazzy, too. :thumbup:

LL,

Are you really arguing with guy who created or played the game with the people who created the characters? :P

Not at all, and I apologise if I gave that impression. I was merely comparing the colored illos with the textual descriptions from the adventure. As I noted, some are very obvious departures (although they don't look bad for that IMHO); but one could excuse whatever the colorists' departure was for Quasar's costume, given the text.