Death Becomes me, help me figure it out?

johnvalentine

My GM wants to run a BLEACH world themed game using HERO system 5e. He wants us all to play low ranked shinigami and have us progress up to (hopefully) captain level of power and maybe if we play the story right Vizard rank.

But I am not sure how to do the bleach mechanics. Such as going from regular zanpakuto to shikai where the weapon changes thats about it, and Bankai. Then a different kind of changes to keep track of was going from shinigami to one of those human dolls so they can act in the real world, as well as the vizard transformation.

So how do you do this? I would guess multiform for the vizard thing, but I am not sure how to do the shikai-bankai thing. Also if anyone has premades for other shinigami abilities/demon arts, I could use the help.

I know it seems I only pop on to ask questions, but i would like to poll the other people in the HERO system community and the only other players here in chandler are my gaming group. and obviously our group is unsure how to do this right.

Re: Death Becomes me, help me figure it out?

My GM wants to run a BLEACH world themed game using HERO system 5e. He wants us all to play low ranked shinigami and have us progress up to (hopefully) captain level of power and maybe if we play the story right Vizard rank.

But I am not sure how to do the bleach mechanics. Such as going from regular zanpakuto to shikai where the weapon changes thats about it, and Bankai. Then a different kind of changes to keep track of was going from shinigami to one of those human dolls so they can act in the real world, as well as the vizard transformation.

So how do you do this? I would guess multiform for the vizard thing, but I am not sure how to do the shikai-bankai thing. Also if anyone has premades for other shinigami abilities/demon arts, I could use the help.

I know it seems I only pop on to ask questions, but i would like to poll the other people in the HERO system community and the only other players here in chandler are my gaming group. and obviously our group is unsure how to do this right.

Weapon powers are usually built as a multipower with a focus. In the case of bleach, you would probably have the base attack, then an attack that adds on the damage, then the bankai power based on what you want to do.

I don't think Vizards and the soul reapers are the same critter, but the hero being part hollow and transforming could be multiform or a form of duplication.

Unless the soul reapers are regularly visiting the earth, I don't think the artificial bodies matter. Otherwise they are a special effect of traveling back and forth between the afterlife and earth. This might be a gm call.

CES

Can you describe all that in plain English and we'll help you translate it into Hero language. Otherwise I can't help as I haven't a clue what you're typing about.

copied from wikipedia:

Bleach was first conceived from Tite Kubo's desire to draw a shinigami (term which is changed to Soul Reaper in the English adaptation) in a kimono, which formed the basis for the design of the Soul Reapers.[1] Before deciding the use of kimono, Kubo thought of giving black suits to male Soul Reapers any forms to female Soul Reapers, but thought that it was too generic and changed it to a kimono.[2] Several characteristics from them, such as the kidō spells and the zanpakutō swords are also based on Japanese literature.[3] Instead of using zanpakutō, Kubo wanted to give the Soul Reapers guns, with the exception of Rukia, who would use a scythe. Seeing that guns are not suitable for kimono, he changed them with swords.[2] When asked which of the 13 Court Guard Company Captains and Assistant Captains were his favorites, Tite Kubo answered by saying that he liked "all of them" and that he likes to "support" characters "disliked by readers."[4] Early plans for the story did not include the hierarchical structure of the Soul Society, but did include Ichigo's Soul Reaper heritage.[1]

Soul Reapers are departed human souls that have gained supernatural powers. Soul Reapers can only be seen by other spiritually aware entities, which excludes most humans. Additionally, they can be injured and die like regular humans, though it takes considerably greater injuries for the latter to occur than it would in regular humans. It is a rule that in order to be a Soul Reaper a person must have been human to begin with. Komamurra is the exception to this rule and Captain Yamamotto apparently is able to make an exception for him with Central 46 to which he has always been grateful.

All Soul Reapers possess a zanpakutō (斬魄刀?, literally "soul-cutter sword"), a weapon which reflects aspects of their soul and personality. Some zanpakuto spirits even possess certain physical traits of their wielders such has hair color and eye markings. By learning the name of the sword's spirit and through training, Soul Reapers can unlock more powerful transformations of their zanpakutō. The first transformation, known as shikai (始解?, "initial release"), changes the sword's appearance to better facilitate its special abilities. A shikai also acts like a binding contract between a Soul Reaper and the sword and assures that no one but the owner of the weapon can use it to the fullest. The shikai is usually released when the owner of a zanpakutō calls out their unique command or phrase followed by the name of the zanpakutō. The second transformation, known as bankai (卍解?, "final release"), can only normally be achieved when a Soul Reaper trains with their zanpakutō for decades. Once achieved, the Soul Reaper can unlock the full potential of their zanpakutō, increasing their own power several times over.[5] Though rare, it is not impossible for two people to manifest the same zanpakutō and spirit. This is considered the ultimate taboo of the Thirteen Court Guard Squads and the individuals who manifest the spirit are forced to fight to the death to determine the zanpakutō's true master.

CES

Simply put, higher-level characters in Bleach have two or more distinct power levels. Ordinarily they do not use the second power level unless they become aware that they are losing a fight. The meta reason for this is to extend the fights by reversing the trends. The internal reason is because the higher power level has greater collateral effects, and also greater energy costs. Normally a character is limited in how long they can keep bankai released and afterward they'll need to spend a longer time recharging before they will be able to do it again.

Weapon powers are usually built as a multipower with a focus. In the case of bleach, you would probably have the base attack, then an attack that adds on the damage, then the bankai power based on what you want to do.

I don't think Vizards and the soul reapers are the same critter, but the hero being part hollow and transforming could be multiform or a form of duplication.

Unless the soul reapers are regularly visiting the earth, I don't think the artificial bodies matter. Otherwise they are a special effect of traveling back and forth between the afterlife and earth. This might be a gm call.

CES

You might be confusing vizards and arrancars. Vizards were former shinigami who acquired hollow powers while arrancars are the opposite. Though, I dont know if I would allow the PCs to become a vizard, as it is extremely rare. (not impossible, but very hard to do) And it seems the early batch were forced out of Soul Society, so it comes with severe consequences.

But, the shikai, bankai thing it would probably depend on the type on how it should be built. Ichigo's bankai seemed to be almost like a multi-form. Whereas as many others like the 12th squad captain's (Kurotsuchi?) seemed more of a Summon. The vizard power seems like a multi-form too, by the way. Most of the arrancar resurrecions seem to be multi-form.

As far as when they are in the world of the living in gigai form (that doll thing you mentioned) I cant really answer, as it isnt a real interest for me, honestly, so I've never really thought about how'd that would work in depth. If it wasnt for the possibility you could be attacked in that form, I probably wouldnt bother, but since that would be a possibility......

Oh and remember to give the Espada the ability to have disembodied Mexican music follow them wherever they go.:doi:

I didn't realize that the vizards used to be soul reapers. I only read Bleach in the monthly shonen jump. Some of the weapons are just fancy powers. Aizen mindcontrols anyone when he pulls his sword. The blind guy creates a field of darkness to every sense. Gin's weapon has extra reach and speed. The one captain doesnt use his zanpakuto at all.

CES

Assuming the characters do a sufficantly large portion of their adventuring in the world of the living (as Ichigo did earilier in the series), the simplest way to handle the gigai thing is to use a modified version of the Astral Projection Duplication power. The base form would be the Soul Reaper inside his or her gigai and the Astral Duplicate would be him or her outside of it. The power would take the Focus limitation (soul candy or that glove Rukia was using) and the Duplicate would have Invisibility with the limitation Not Invisible To Other Spirits Or Spiritually-Aware Persons (-¼).* Unlike the usual Astral Form, the Duplicate here would not have Desolidification, since the anime/manga shows the Soul Reapers affecting and being affected by the physical world while out of gigai.

* Spiritual Awareness can be build as a simple Detect for spirit energy.

I didn't realize that the vizards used to be soul reapers. I only read Bleach in the monthly shonen jump. Some of the weapons are just fancy powers. Aizen mindcontrols anyone when he pulls his sword. The blind guy creates a field of darkness to every sense. Gin's weapon has extra reach and speed. The one captain doesnt use his zanpakuto at all.

CES

I dont know a whole lot about it mind you. But, from what I have heard Urahura, Yorouichi, and Tessai are in exile due to helping them when it happened.

Course, the top cpt. I believe his zanpakuto was supposed to be his cane. He most likely has a bankai, we just havent seen it yet. (most likely fire-based I would imagine, given his brief fight with the other 2 cpts, in the Soul Society Arc)

Assuming the characters do a sufficantly large portion of their adventuring in the world of the living (as Ichigo did earilier in the series)' date=' the simplest way to handle the gigai thing is to use a modified version of the Astral Projection Duplication power. The base form would be the Soul Reaper inside his or her gigai and the Astral Duplicate would be him or her outside of it. The power would take the Focus limitation (soul candy or that glove Rukia was using) and the Duplicate would have Invisibility with the limitation [i']Not Invisible To Other Spirits Or Spiritually-Aware Persons (-¼)[/i].* Unlike the usual Astral Form, the Duplicate here would not have Desolidification, since the anime/manga shows the Soul Reapers affecting and being affected by the physical world while out of gigai.

* Spiritual Awareness can be build as a simple Detect for spirit energy.

given your avatar, I should have expected you to reply.

I've actually been working on a Bleach type game for Hero (6th though), and I'm probably going to have tiers that have prereq's to make power levels distinct. Such as Only when down to 5 body, 10 stun or something like that. Then that allows for someone to be beat up, and even the possibility that someone could get taken out before they ever power up... rare but you see it in anime. Other wise work on building the powers and instead of giving normal exp (though there would be some normal XP of course), you hand them powers at the appropriate moments... making it closer, but not tied, to a leveled type progression...