room filled with water

ayinde

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: room filled with water

Doesn't work in HERO as you have no limits to the power. What size of room?

You also are not thinking what you intend the power to achieve. If it is simply to produce an amount of fluid then you can do that.

Do you mean the whole of the room completely filled or is it just that the water is a by-product and drenches the room. In the second scenario, it is simply SFX, in the former you are talking about a power...and it cannot be as absolute as you intend. If nothing else - rooms are rarely water-tight.

ok i see your point Doc. let me try to pair down what i want to happen

size 100 m rad 20 m deep

cant breath without special considerations (breath water, air supply, swim to above water level)

model mostly the combat effects

the best i can come up with is a Extra-Dimensional Movement to the same place only underwater with an area effect on it and you automatically return to the regular place when she is knocked out and a triggered double knock back energy blast to represent the water rushing away but that seemed cheesy

Creating water is a special effect.

Describing the intended result of creating the water is how you decide what game mechanic to use.

If you want the ability to potentially drown targets in the room then build an attack power like Blast with Area Of Affect and other appropriate Advantages.

If you just want to state that anytime the character uses his powers excess water is 'created' then just use the appropriate level of the Side Effects Limitation. But remember, if the outcome of the 'side effect' is more beneficial than harmful (to the power's owner in some way, if only their reputation) most of the time then it really isn't worth points as a Limitation and depending on how beneficial it is it may demand its own ability writeup as above.

Personally I'd still (usually) do this using Change Environment, using the CV penalties described for being underwater and using the "1 point of damage" effect as equivalent to having to hold one's breath (or use Life Support). Otherwise, it takes an awfully big Transform to create that much water....

Personally I'd still (usually) do this using Change Environment' date=' using the CV penalties described for being underwater and using the "1 point of damage" effect as equivalent to having to hold one's breath (or use Life Support). Otherwise, it takes an awfully big Transform to create that much water....[/quote']

That's my thought too. The special effect of the power is that the room is full of water. What matters, and what the OP seems to want is the combat effects that lead to this type of SFX. That's Change Environment. You can use CE to reduce movement and impart END expenditures and OCV/DCV penalties.

Build the Power as Change Environment and give it the modifiers you would expect it to have.

Would Severe Transform be able to turn air into water?

However, this doesn't cover situations where this is no air, and you may want to just conjure up water (which would force whatever gasses are around to a point where they can escape).

Personally I'd still (usually) do this using Change Environment' date=' using the CV penalties described for being underwater and using the "1 point of damage" effect as equivalent to having to hold one's breath (or use Life Support). Otherwise, it takes an awfully big Transform to create that much water....[/quote']

Rather than 1 point of damage, open up the Advanced Players Guide and make the effect "suffocation". Tack on the CV penalties for being underwater, and the CE now creates an aea of effect which is effectively underwater.

Would Severe Transform be able to turn air into water?

However, this doesn't cover situations where this is no air, and you may want to just conjure up water (which would force whatever gasses are around to a point where they can escape).

You keep trying to reason from a special effect.

HERO is all about reason from the effect you want to then pick the appropriate mechanic (Power) to build it

Still doesn't answer the question as to whether or not there is a way' date=' in HERO, to just create water.[/quote']

You don't create water in HERO, you create what you want water to do in HERO.

It's like creating a vehicle in HERO. There isn't one Power to do it. You create a collection of abilities describing what the vehicle does.

It's a conceptual thing.

Sorry' date=' but there are many paths to accomplish certain goals in HERO (as with most point-buy game). Mutants & Masterminds has Create Object, and GURPS has Create. I want an analogue for HERO.[/quote']

There is nothing preventing you from creating one in HERO for your game.

It's a campaign specific ability.

It's like having a Power to create a boulder.

It's asking the wrong question. The correct HERO one to ask is "What do you want to accomplish with the boulder?"

I remember a friend describe to me how they killed a dragon in a D&D game using the Create Water spell. They created the water inside the dragon's head. GM handwavium? Sure. But I get the feeling that at some level this is essentially what you trying to do.

There is nothing preventing you from creating one in HERO for your game.

It's a campaign specific ability.

It's like having a Power to create a boulder.

It's asking the wrong question. The correct HERO one to ask is "What do you want to accomplish with the boulder?"

There is no "wrong" question here. Both paths are equally valid.

I have no interest in writing up any Powers at the moment, but was just curious as to whether or not HERO has a matter creation Power I overlooked.

Still, if you were to use a Power as a framework for Create (in HERO), which would it be?

A Severe Transform can turn something into something else (including air...so I guess you could call that nothing). A Transform will create water. How much water? That depends a lot on what you are Transforming and how much water.

Hero doesn't always handle fractions well. Instead of reducing something to 1/16 we usually handle things by saying -Xm of Running. You can then always Limit it with: 1/16 Running or max of 2". If a normal character in the campaign has 20" of movement, you just purchase the CE with -18". In theory since you would be Limiting ONLY the amount of movement, you would need to purchase a compound power.

Water Filled Room: (Total: 150 Active Cost, 140 Real Cost) Change Environment (-20m of any mode of Movement), Area Of Effect (100m Radius; +1 1/2) (50 Active Points); Leaves Character with 2m of Movement (-1/4) (Real Cost: 40) plus Change Environment (-5 DEX Roll and all Skill Rolls based on DEX, Suffocation), Area Of Effect (100m Radius; +1 1/2) (100 Active Points) (Real Cost: 100)

There is no "wrong" question here. Both paths are equally valid.

I have no interest in writing up any Powers at the moment, but was just curious as to whether or not HERO has a matter creation Power I overlooked.

Still, if you were to use a Power as a framework for Create (in HERO), which would it be?

I don't have 6E with me, but 5ER specifically list Something from Nothing as one of the options for Major Transform.