Companions of an Uncertain Fate

Nolgroth

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Companions of an Uncertain Fate

Wow this thread is filling fast. I just found it and it's already on page two... Ok my catchup post ;D

On skill rolls, I like it the way it is with the suggestion for liberal use of GM mods. Maybe in the spirit of making each character "shine", the GM could on occasion allow a player to buy a single skill above the cap if it fits with the story, the character concept, and did I mention the story?

On the hiding of NPC stats... I am of no real opinion. I don't look at the NPC stats, as 99.999% of the time I have my own token selected to keep my macros handy. I know I could get a quick glimpse by hovering over the token, but I am usually too busy just trying to follow the chat, and manage my own character.

On the game this week. A break is ok. I can use the time to prep some camping gear. I am going to miss the nigt of July 15th as Terrie and I are heading off to a family reunion. I will be back for the game on the 22nd of July.

Not advocating a Maptool upgrade, BUT, just FYI...

Maptools 1.3b70 is out and whatever bug was bugging us when you tested with 1.3b68 has been fixed. I loaded 1.3b70, then I loaded my copy of your campaign file, and I was able to change maps, move tokens, and fire all of Hardesty's macros.

And who you callin a meat bag, you duracell dandy...

((makes note to self: don;t poke the sleeping GM with sharp sticks before game time :D ))

Yes. I'm pretty sure I confirmed that, but sometimes the voices in my head lead me astray.

A job is merely an offer until accepted. In other words, discuss all you want. I will, in true Nolgroth form, adapt and destr....overcome. :)

EDIT: Sorry if my responses seem flippant. Well they are flippant. Did you have something in mind. I am always open to ideas above and beyond what my mind cooks up. I was not kidding about being adaptable. Let me look up the thread for details on exactly what we wanted to do in game terms.

Yes. I'm pretty sure I confirmed that, but sometimes the voices in my head lead me astray.

A job is merely an offer until accepted. In other words, discuss all you want. I will, in true Nolgroth form, adapt and destr....overcome. :)

EDIT: Sorry if my responses seem flippant. Well they are flippant. Did you have something in mind. I am always open to ideas above and beyond what my mind cooks up. I was not kidding about being adaptable. Let me look up the thread for details on exactly what we wanted to do in game terms.

I don't know what you're talking about.

I don't know what you're talking about.
Really?

EDIT: On the chance that I am just being obtuse. It happens sometimes...

Yes. I'm pretty sure I confirmed that' date=' but sometimes the voices in my head lead me astray.[/quote']Translation: I thought we had settled on getting that Tainted Vision thing going for Rotman. I just didn't remember what it was we decided. The Voices comment was just pure strangeness. Sorry about that.

This was a directly indirect response to your question about planning for the next session. You essentially asked if we should or would the fact that I ended the last session with a job offer make that a moot point. I was in a strange mood when posting, so I continued my weirdness. In all honesty, you and the other players are always welcome to talk about, request or in other ways influence where the game is going. Just as Dalt mentioned that his Urban-based character was not able to shine in the wilderness around the town of Squall, you too can make a suggestion on where to take the adventure to.

The Edit was just me trying to bring some sense back into a mostly nonsensical post. I think I covered everything in the preceding paragraphs. Sorry about any confusion.

It's those darn voices.....

Translation: I thought we had settled on getting that Tainted Vision thing going for Rotman. I just didn't remember what it was we decided. The Voices comment was just pure strangeness. Sorry about that.

Yes. We did agree with it, but I left the costs in your capable hands. I was just wondering where you might have gotten with it. Trying to take care of stuff in this medium as opposed to waiting til the game starts.

Which, I may be late for. It is no excuse, but I blame it on my ex-wife.

Not advocating a Maptool upgrade, BUT, just FYI...

Maptools 1.3b70 is out and whatever bug was bugging us when you tested with 1.3b68 has been fixed. I loaded 1.3b70, then I loaded my copy of your campaign file, and I was able to change maps, move tokens, and fire all of Hardesty's macros.

Jeez. Got so caught up in the banter that I totally left out the substance of this message. Color me an idiot. Not sure what color that is, but there you go.

In regards to a MapTool upgrade, I will test it out over the coming week. I am not in any hurry at this point. b63 seems to be a very stable release and I want to be absolutely certain that b70 will be a worthy upgrade. If I am satisfied that it will be as stable as b63, then I will put it to a group vote.

If Dalt or anybody also wants to play around with a separate install of b70 and give me their feedback, I would appreciate that as well.

Also, I am coming up with a backup plan, but due to some furniture rearrangement, I am stuck in my bedroom on a WiFi connection. I don't foresee a problem, but if it comes down to it, I will have to host on my son's computer. I will have that contingency in place so that if we get to that point, we can enact it.

Just wanted to give a heads up.

Yes. We did agree with it' date=' but I left the costs in your capable hands. I was just wondering where you might have gotten with it. Trying to take care of stuff in this medium as opposed to waiting til the game starts.[/quote'] How about this...

Tainted Vision:

Detect Magic 12- (Sight Group), Discriminatory (10 Active Points); Requires A Roll (EGO roll, -1 per 5 Active Points modifier; -1), Side Effects: (1/2d6 PRE Drain, Delayed Return Rate: 6 Hours), Side Effect occurs whenever Power is successfully used (-1/2) Roll: 8- Real Cost: 4.

The special effect of this is that Rotman has been touched by his spiritual contact with the Hag. Now he can see magical energies from time to time and even will himself to. The problem is that the supernatural frightens him requiring him to force himself (EGO roll at -2) to try and see these things and leaves him shaken (PRE Drain) once he does see them.

The overall affect I am imagining is like Constantine's ability from the movie of the same name. The only thing is that Rotman has to focus himself and steel his courage in order to look into that world.

Note that PRE costs 2/1 in this campaign so that, at most, Rotman will be down 2 points (rounding up in this case).

I may also, from time to time, invoke GM fiat and have Rotman see something even without trying.

As an FYI, the server is listed as up in Maptool, but gives a connection timeout when attempting to connect. (Not a big issue at this time, I just still want to test the modified Attack macro). If this is not just me, it might need looking into before Thurs.

Hurm. Let me restart the server.

EDIT: NOT the server. Got a new IP when I switched back here to the bedroom. Had to change the Port Forwarding on the ol' router.

EDIT 2: I am so tempted to just set up the laptop as the server and plop it down out there with an ethernet connection and a bottle of wine. Okay, maybe not the wine. That way I don't have to worry about things exploding mid game. If my wireless connection drops, only I get affected.

Updated Campaign Guidelines on Page 1' date=' Message 2. These changes may be implemented at any time before the next session (if you have the spare XP) or at the next XP award.[/quote']

Neat idea! I would like to invest 2 points in my Master Helmsman: Combat Driving (sailed vessels only) bringing the roll to 13-, this would be my specialized skill. I would also like to invest 2 points in my Navigation (Marine) bringing the roll to 11-, this would be my first expertise skill. My final expertise skill I will designate as KS: Knots and Rope Use. For now I not add any to the KS skill, this should leave me with one point of XP banked.

See you guys tomorrow :D

Ok. The way I am going to designate is to add a character at the beginning of the displayed name. Specialized skills is with a *. Expertise skills with a +.

Edit: The PDF Print filter flaked out with that method. Instead I added Specialized and Expertise in parentheses at the end of the skill description. It's a little cumbersome, but much less ugly than random math characters at the end.