Companions of an Uncertain Fate

Nolgroth

MapTool Server Status:

My previously unnamed Colonial Fantasy HERO game finally found its name. As a result, I created this thread to better organize the disparate elements that have accumulated over in the Question: Anyone running any online games? thread.

Discussion Topic: Should we change Skills? Outcome: Overall consensus leave things as they are mechanically. Implement bonuses for Cinematic, Dramatic and detailed descriptions of skill use.

Discussion Topic: Should I hide NPC stats on Tokens from Players? Outcome: No strong feelings either way. For now things will proceed as they have.

Update: Removed MapTool Server Status. I wasn't updating it to coincide with when I had the server up anyway.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Companions of an Uncertain Fate

Companions of an Uncertain Fate

Recruiting Status: Closed

Start Date: Thursday, March 11, 2010. Game days will always be Thursdays unless the group elects to change them at a later date.

Game Time: 5 PM - 9 PM Pacific Time. Hours will adjust for Daylight Savings Time transitions.

Character Creation Guidelines

Base Points: 175

Matching Complications: 25

Starting Campaign Power Levels

CHAR Range: 8-15 (1)

Speed: 2-3

CV: 2-6

DC: 2-9

Def/rDef: 4-8/2-4

Active Points: 10-45. Recommend 25 Active Points for most powers. (2)

Skill Points: 10-50 Starting. Experience can exceed these numbers.

Skill Roll: 8-/13- (3)

Special:

1. All of the base Characteristics start out at 5 and must be bought up from there. Presence will have a much higher utility in the game, so the cost has been increased to 2 points per increment. Characteristics and Skill rolls have a base roll of 8 + CHAR /4. This gives a little more range of rolls. For Player Characters, there is a GM Freebie of +5 Body (for a starting value of 10).
  2. Some powers that are not immediately useful for combat may be higher at the GM discretion. Mostly this rule is intended for GM created powers withing a narrow range of effects (magical protection circles). Other uses may be considered on a case by case basis.

3. Each character may select a Specialized Skill and up to two Expertise Skills. All of these skills must be related to the character's raison d'etre and be tightly related to each other. The Specialized Skill may be purchased up to 15- (with skill levels and/or raw improvement of the skill). The Expertise Skills may be purchased up to 14-. Example groups might be Burglar (Lockpicking, Security Systems, Stealth) or Gunsmith (Weaponsmith, Inventor, Mechanics). These two examples are generalized and not necessarily required skill combinations. Skill sets subject to GM approval. As a note, I want each character to focus on different specializations so I may not approve two characters with the same skill specialization. Right now I see JD as the Thief, Rotman as the Inventor, and Hardesty as the Sailor. Not sure where I would classify Lulu or Cael, in terms of archetypes, at this point. This is not a required option. If you see your character as a generalist, this may not be the option for you.
  4. STR Minimum for weapons has been reduced by 5 across the board. 1 is still the lowest STR Minimum allowed for non-natural weaponry.

Starting Funds: 5 Guilders or Shillings. Perk option for additional starting funds. Income Perk to be added soon.

Setting Inspirations: Ars Magica, Colonial America, Lovecraft, Ravenloft, 7th Sea, Dresden Files, Treasure Island, Pirates of the Caribbean.

Actual Setting: Using Theah, the setting for 7th Sea, with the addition of a New World / Colonial America continent.

Warnings:

1. The 7th Sea setting, which I have heavily adapted for this game, portrays very Christian-like religions. While generally portrayed in a positive light, the very presence of them may offend some readers. If you are one of those people, this is probably not your thread.
  2. The magic rules tend to lean heavily into detailed descriptions of rituals.

Here are the HERO Designer Template and Campaign rules files. When creating a character use the ColonialFantasy..HDT file.

File > New Character > New Character (custom/non-standard rules) > Choose File
Browse to where you saved ColonialFantasy..HDT.

Then apply the ColonialFantasy..HDR campaign rules to the character.

Current Character > Campaign Rules > Load Campaign Rules
Browse to where you saved Colonial Fantasy..HDR.

Those two files set up the base characteristics, modified Skills, Skill Roll calculation, Perks and Talents, and the base Points.

The final step is to add in Powers

Characteristics +5 BODY Custom Adder (renamed to GM Freebie) -5
. Make sure Add to Base Characteristic is checked.

The forum limits file attachments to five per post. Savienien's character Rotman Woss will be posted elsewhere.

Here are the following PDF versions of the characters. The +5 Body rule was added after characters were initially constructed so I had to improvise and provide alternate abilities for some of the characters. Anything with the title Heroic Resilience is part of the GM bonus package.

Note to Players: If you see anything weird or incorrect regarding your character sheet, please let me know so I can correct the HDC file.

And now, as a general topic of discussion, I want to bandy Skill Roll value around. From my side of the screen, I notice that there are a LOT of failed skill rolls. This is bothering me a great deal and I wonder if the present skill roll mechanic (8 + CHAR/4) is the problem, the cap on Skill Rolls (and thus the lack of Skill Levels) is the problem, or the method in which I use skills. I would greatly value your input on this.

And yes, I know, the MapTool dice roller is altogether EVIL.

I don't think there is a mechanical problem. The difference in Skill Roll values for 9 + (CHAR/5) and 8 + (CHAR/4) are pretty insignificant at our CHAR range.

I think the relatively low occurence of skill rolls makes it seem like most of the rolls we are asked to make fail, because we are generally making them only when it is important, so failure is more noticeable.

I wouldn't change anything, in the longer run, I think you'll see things even out.

Great work boss, looking good.

Honestly, I think the current skill roll cap is fine in theory. When I roll by hand, I get routinely acceptable results for a 13-. It's just that this dice roller, through whatever evil machinations occur, seems to skew the average results toward the bottom of the scale. I'm not sure what is and isn't possible with fiddling with the code, but maybe a small built-in bonus to skills to try to bring it back into an acceptable range would work. This would also apply to NPCs to make it balanced. Or, one could increase the cap to make successful rolls more plausible. The only problem there is that it would only apply to skills, and attack rolls would still be difficult.

Wish I could be more useful, but I'm no MapTools wizard.

Just my own opinion here. If I read things correctly you lowered base stats to 5, under the old (and your own rules) this gives a 9- with no points spent. Normally under standard rules that would be 11-. So already the characters are at a slight disadvantage. As they will only gain one point over a familiarity with a given skill.

I think that this is probably the root of the problem, unless you allow for a lot of Skill levels or reset the normal 9+stat/5 (or 4 for that matter), the characters are not going to fair well on their skill rolls.

Personally I like what you have done, but IF you wish for more successes on the skill front, you may wish to rework it a bit.

Also' date=' Cael should have the "Cut" martial arts maneuver. (3 points total: +2 OCV, +1 DCV, half-phase weapon strike)[/quote']Noted and will add. Right now. Okay, not right now. How about Real Soon. Cuz Right now just passed by.

EDIT: Updated PDF posted in message 4.

Just my own opinion here. If I read things correctly you lowered base stats to 5' date=' under the old (and your own rules) this gives a 9- with no points spent. Normally under standard rules that would be 11-. So already the characters are at a slight disadvantage. As they will only gain one point over a familiarity with a given skill. [/quote']You know, now that you mention this, it stirred a memory of when I was building the campaign. When I was going through the planning stage I was comparing how I wanted to run this campaign versus my older campaign. In the older campaign I had high limits and applied a lot of penalties. I wanted to do this in an inverse style. Give more bonuses and have a lower initial skill roll limit. Thanks for your comment. It helped me a lot in figuring out "what went wrong." Not that it is wrong, but something to keep note of.

No matter how you figure the skill rolls, the biggest limit is the skill roll maxima. Right now you have it at 13-. That is no different than what Valdorian age did. Here is the question you need to answer. What is the top percentage that you want people to succed their skill rolls at? A roll of 13- is 83.8%, 14- is 90.74%, and 15- is 95.37%.

When it is all said and done, the PCs and the NPCs are affected the same. You just need to find the top percentage that you want.

I think that there just have been a lot of high rolls, that you are seeing.

No matter how you figure the skill rolls' date=' the biggest limit is the skill roll maxima.[/quote']Right you are. Okay. I feel better overall after all these replies. I'm all for sticking with what we have and reassessing later.

Thanks for all the input everybody.

I like the lower Skills, it will make those few skills that do eventually go higher seem to be worth much more, and if each Character spreads that out across different skills you'll truly see Niche Shine - the guy who is uber-stealthy will be so without needing an insane roll.

If you do want more success, I suggest a more liberal approach to positive modifiers. Here's one idea: the more specific a character is when making a Skill Roll, the more bonus they can get. Especially 'soft' skills like Interaction and Intellect; as example "I'm going to talk my way past the guards" vs "I'm going to chat up the guards about local events, to gain their confidence, and see if they're the type to take a bribe" -- both could be Beaurocratics or Charm Rolls; but the second could get bonuses, and possibly a Synergy from Bribery based on the players description.

Not saying the Player needs to go into detail - after all sometimes we want to play the smooth-talking rogue when we can barely type our own names - which is why we buy the Skills, but reward players for clever ideas more often. Sometimes even behind the scenes (after the roll and the player sees a failure that might actually be a success).

I like the lower Skills, it will make those few skills that do eventually go higher seem to be worth much more, and if each Character spreads that out across different skills you'll truly see Niche Shine - the guy who is uber-stealthy will be so without needing an insane roll.

If you do want more success, I suggest a more liberal approach to positive modifiers. Here's one idea: the more specific a character is when making a Skill Roll, the more bonus they can get. Especially 'soft' skills like Interaction and Intellect; as example "I'm going to talk my way past the guards" vs "I'm going to chat up the guards about local events, to gain their confidence, and see if they're the type to take a bribe" -- both could be Beaurocratics or Charm Rolls; but the second could get bonuses, and possibly a Synergy from Bribery based on the players description.

Not saying the Player needs to go into detail - after all sometimes we want to play the smooth-talking rogue when we can barely type our own names - which is why we buy the Skills, but reward players for clever ideas more often. Sometimes even behind the scenes (after the roll and the player sees a failure that might actually be a success).

What he said. ^^

Detail certainly, and cool factor also. For example, "While running away from the guards, I jump up and grab a tavern sign pole, swinging myself onto the roof" deserves a bonus whereas "I use acrobatics to get on to the roof" does not. The more cinematic it is, the more the players should be rewarded for it (within a reasonable limit.)

Next topic question: Should I hide the NPC stats from Players?

Currently, all PCs and NPCs (except the GM token) use the same Campaign Properties. This means that on a MouseOver action (hovering the mouse pointer over the token) some of the combat ready stats are displayed. Should I change that so only I can see those stats.

From the GM side of the screen.....

Pros: Maintains a sense of uncertainty when encountering bad guys. Allows me to "fudge" things by adjusting the difficulty "on the fly" for too easy or too difficult opponents.

Cons: Violates the "open" table atmosphere of the game. Tempts me to "fudge" things even when not necessary.

Discuss.

While I'm indifferent to the matter, I play both online and offline and am used to the table top where I can only see my sheet, occasionally see another players, and never see the characters the GM controls. So, if you hide them from us I wouldn't notice the difference.

If you want the open table feel, then you can leave them.

I really do not mind them being only visible to the owner of the token though. If you were playing at an actual table, you are not going to see all of that information.

I don't particularly care either way.

Seeing the mechanics is not why I play the game. The only time I actually look at any tokens with any interest that aren't mine is while working on macros. While I admit there are times when seeing an enemy token might remove some sense of 'mystery', I don't ever go out of my way to look, and I certainly don't base my actions around anything I might see.

So, basically, if you feel it's necessary and will improve the game, go for it. It won't lessen my enjoyment any, or alter my participation.