The Millennium Bugs

BoloOfEarth

Okay, this is an experiment on my part, so please bear with me.

I’m going to try to coordinate the joint writeup of a supervillain team and its members, using one of the suggested groups from the Create a Villain Theme Team! thread: the Millennium Bugs. I’m hoping this group will appear in the next (September) issue of the Haymaker! APA-zine, with the creators of this team being guest contributors.

The posters on these boards that contributed to that team are:

• Cygnia: Doctor Worm
  • Badger: Mantis
  • Utech: Gnat
  • csyphrett: Clockwork Swarm
  • Legatus: La Cucaracha

While I can’t say that nobody else can make suggestions, I will say that the people above have final say on what does and does not go into their characters. And I’ll add that making a suggestion here doesn’t automatically qualify someone else as a guest contributor and entitle them to a copy of the ‘zine in which the team appears.

However, I would like to include both 5th and 6th edition versions of each character, and it appears that we are fairly weak on 6th Edition experience. So if someone else here wants to volunteer to help convert the completed characters from 5th to 6th edition versions, I would be more than happy to include that individual as a guest contributor as well.

More to follow soon.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: The Millennium Bugs

And here is the information that was provided before:

Team Name: Millennium Bugs

Members: 5

These high-tech thieves for-hire work almost exclusively in Millennium City, sometimes getting hired to steal prototypes and perform corporate espionage, but their true specialty is conducting industrial sabotage. If you want to use an insect or arachnid theme as well, feel free.

"They call me Doctor Worm! I'm interested in things!"

The not-so good Doctor's specialty is computer viruses and malware (he has a side venture hiring himself out to gold-farming spam sites for various MMORPGs and hacking legitimate game sites to add his malicious code). He loves cracking into businesses that claim their computer security is impregnable and driving them to their metaphorical knees. He really loves screwing over power-suited/"techy" heroes with his malignant works. By his moniker, he's also a rabid They Might Be Giants fan.

Mantis Kung fu martial artist in the mantis style. He was paralyzed by a freak accident. One of the millenium bugs (to be determined*) offered him the ability to walk again, if he would join them. (*I'll let some of the following creators decide which, or I might after we are done).

He was fitted with cybernetic nerve implants to help give him the ability to walk and more. (enhanced speed/strength to go along with his still impressive martial art know how). Although failsafes were implemented into the implants should he stray, it is unlikely as he feels he owes them, regardless of what they may be.

Nat (or Gnat) likes to call himself the "Face" without a face. Ordinary and forgettable to the point of near-invisibility, Nat has been able to social engineer his way into some of the most secure companies and facilities on the planet. It's not just that no one seems to take him as a threat, it's that no one seems to take him as worth looking at too closely. Captured many times by CCTV cameras, the photos distributed to security forces everywhere seem to end up in the circular file with nobody really able to call up a mental image of the man they were told to look out for.

It's not that Nat always succeeds, mind you. He's failed many a time. It's just that he can fail and fail and fail and fail at getting into the same location and no one seems the wiser. Quite capable of defeating most locks (mechanical and electronic), Nat never shies away from a little B and E when just the E is beyond him. Though Nat sometimes takes things out of buildings, he much prefers to put things in. Computer programs, bugs, monitoring devices, bombs...

Clockwork Swarm is Brady Cooper. Brady has invented a type of Von Nueman machine that reproduces around him. They resemble flying spiders made out of gears for the most part. They defend him, gather intelligence, do some sabotage, and sometimes fix things to work better as well as make copies of themselves when they need to do that.

CES

La Cucaracha: a mutant from Mexico; he looks like your average Latino guy, but he is very flexible and can stretch and squeeze. Unfortunately that requires a lot of strength and it hurts awfully, though the pain goes away when he is back in normal size and proportions. To perform certain actions is so painful that he has to take drugs before that, squeezing under a door e.g.

Another good side effect of his mutant powers is that he takes almost no damage from blunt attacks (fists, hammers, even busses).

As I said in my PMs to each of the contributors, you can provide as little or as much on your character as you wish. I want to include full writeups in the final article -- this includes Background/History, Personality, Powers/Tactics, Quote, Appearance, and Campaign Use, along with three Plot Seeds, in addition to Characteristic/Skills/Powers writeup. With things you don't want to do in full, I'm willing to create them, but any information you want to provide would be greatly appreciated.

For anything you don't want to post on these boards, you can email to me at RayL@haymaker.org. I do not have Hero Designer, so any character versions from HD will need to be printed as HTML or PDF or DOC or some other fairly common format before emailing to me.

You picked a neat team to feature. Any restrictions on power levels/point totals/damage caps or whatnot?

Good question. I'm thinking 400-450 points for 5th edition versions, with the conversion keeping things as close to the same power levels and abilities for 6th edition (so, probably about 450-500 points). I'm not big on damage caps, but this team doesn't seem like a major combat group, so I'd suggest they keep it to a reasonable level.

From my (admittedly only) experience in converting a villain team from 5th to 6th, it wasn't all that hard of a process. Bricks get hit point-wise, but I don't really see that as much of an issue for the Bugs. La Cucaracha seems closest to a brick, and he's more invulnerable rather than high-STR. IMO, he'd benefit from the Damage Negation power.

If we all create and balance them in 5th and then convert to 6th, I don't see it being too difficult.

For tying them together, I'm thinking either Doctor Worm or Clockwork Swarm (more likely the latter than the former) being involved in Mantis' cybernetic implants.

I'm also trying to figure out who would be best as team leader. I'm inclined toward Dr. Worm, though I could see Mantis being the default leader in combat.

As Dr. Worm's creator, I agree with Clockwork Swarm being the implant guy. I also have no problems with Worm thinking he's the team leader... ;)

Though I do admit I have some bastardly ideas in mind for the Personality section already... :D

Yeah, I did see Mantis as being likely the "enforcer" for the team. Since, you are doing it on here I might think of some ideas. Just dont hold me to it. I want have time to do a nuanced character sheet, though. But, I might can think of a little extra to add in. I see what I can think up the next few days.

One thing I did think of was the maybe Clockwork Swarm and Dr. Worm both had a hand. Clockwork built the enhancements and put them in. While Worm created a latent virus that could keep him in check. (unbeknownst to anyone most likely other than himself and probably Clockwork)

Yeah' date=' I did see Mantis as being likely the "enforcer" for the team. Since, you are doing it on here I might think of some ideas. Just dont hold me to it. I want have time to do a nuanced character sheet, though. But, I might can think of a little extra to add in. I see what I can think up the next few days.[/quote']

Anything at all you provide will be fine.

One thing I did think of was the maybe Clockwork Swarm and Dr. Worm both had a hand. Clockwork built the enhancements and put them in. While Worm created a latent virus that could keep him in check. (unbeknownst to anyone most likely other than himself and probably Clockwork)

That's a really good idea.

I slapped together a 350 point 5th version of Gnat while riding the train yesterday. I'll post what I've got for comment later.

I'm not sure how Gnat would have gotten to know the other members. There's the old chestnut about Gnat getting caught for the first time by X and deciding to work for X ever after -- but it's an old chestnut. Hope I can think of something more interesting.

I slapped together a 350 point 5th version of Gnat while riding the train yesterday. I'll post what I've got for comment later.

I'm not sure how Gnat would have gotten to know the other members. There's the old chestnut about Gnat getting caught for the first time by X and deciding to work for X ever after -- but it's an old chestnut. Hope I can think of something more interesting.

Given his near-invisibility, I'd think it would be the other way around -- Gnat catches one or another of the Bugs hitting the same place he's breaking into, follows that individual back, and decides he likes their goals / methods / whatever, so he approaches them about joining.

Another idea, not sure how well it would work, would be that the rest of the Bugs have no idea Gnat is even hanging around with them, he just tags along and helps out whenever he wants. IOW, he's the only one that knows he's part of the team.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, with thanks to Cygnia, here is the first draft of Doctor Worm (text and 5th edition writeup). I've reorganized Cygnia's text and added a few pieces, though I've tried to keep it as close as possible to what was provided. (Cygnia, I added something about TMBG t-shirts; hope you like it.)

He's a little higher points than I originally stated for the team, but I figured as team leader he could go a bit above. If instead you think I should cut one of his powers, I'm open to suggestions.

To represent the fact that all of this is remote hacking, I used MegaRange and, where needed, Indirect. And I used the Fully Invisible Advantage to cover Doctor Worm routing his hacking through various proxies all over the planet.

I'm more than willing to consider suggestions on either the text or the writeup. And if anybody wants to suggest plot seeds, I'll take the best three as well.

This probably isn't everything that's needed. I hope it's a good stab in the right direction.

Gnat Information

Background/History: Nat Crowley has always been forgettable. Maybe it's genetic. His mother always said that she forgot who his father was. Whether that was an intentional lapse in memory or no, Nat never learned.

The midwife who delivered Nat in his mother's home forgot to create a birth certificate. His mother kept forgetting to get one made up. He came home from day care unfed and diaper full.

Schools enrolled Nat and then failed to put him in a classroom. Teachers skipped his name when calling the roll. Nat wasn't the last kid picked for dodgeball -- he wasn't picked at all.

There were advantages. Nat went where he pleased when he pleased. He could shoplift at will. When adolescence struck, he wandered into the girls' locker room and showers without anyone batting an eye. Sometimes.

After being kicked out of high school by a rather confused principal, Nat decided not to go home. So he didn't. Never saw his mother again.

Nat was interested in computers. So he went to college. Didn't enroll, mind you. Just went. Sat in on classes. Learned stuff. Tried to be a hacker for a while but he couldn't hack it.

Got hooked on the thrill of talking his way into places he really shouldn't be. With some preparation time, Nat found that he could be noticed as pretty much whoever he wanted to be noticed as. A delivery guy, janitor, mail room drone, manager, or CEO. Or he could just sort of fade away and nobody saw him at all -- even though he was right there.

Nat was hanging out in a certain captain of industry's office when a sound at the door caught his attention. La Cucaracha was squeezing himself under the door. Nat watched with great interest. Watched La Cucaracha go through some files. Watched La Cucaracha pick out the one he needed. Watched La Cucaracha head for the door with a resigned look on his face.

That's when Nat opened the door.

La Cucaracha was rather unpleasantly surprised, but after a tense few minutes Nat was invited to follow La Cucaracha and to meet some friends...

Personality/Motivation: Nat both fears and dreams of being noticed. He suspects that he might be as unworthy of attention as others seem to deem him. He sublimates these feelings through passive-aggressive actions such as walking unnoticed into a secure building, leaving a bomb, and walking out. Boom! That got their attention.

Nat is very happy to be a member of the Millennium Bugs and tries his best to please the others. He's not always sure why they do what they do. Frankly, he doesn't much care.

Quote: "Could you get the door for me? Thanks."

Powers/Tactics: Gnat is a phenomenal actor (Shape Change). His ability to take on the characteristics of other people is so all-inclusive that he simply cannot be spotted for who he is through any of the five senses or mental powers. He uses this ability to talk his way into places he shouldn't be -- forging necessary documents ahead of time. When using this ability, people are certainly able to remember meeting Gnat and can give a full description. Which does not in any way match Nat's actual appearance.

Sometimes Gnat prefers to just walk into a place without being noticed at all. Sometimes he fails to talk his way into a secure area and needs to disappear. That's when he concentrates on returning to his utterly uninteresting reality (Invisibility). In this "real" state, Gnat isn't noticed by people even if they're looking for him. He can't be found by any of the five senses or mental powers. His actions are noticed, so Gnat can't go around hitting people or opening doors without folks working out that some invisible presence is present.

Gnat has no interest in combat whatsoever. He'll try to avoid it. If forced into combat, he'll fade away or act like a bystander. Nat is well aware that he cannot stand up to a superhero in a fair fight. Heck, he can't stand up to a thug in a fair fight. So Nat never, ever engages in a fair fight.

Appearance: Nat's actual appearance is an utterly forgettable average height, average weight, brownish hair, brownish eyes, slightly swarthy skin, and anonymous voice. He can, however, appear to be pretty much any average person imaginable.

-----

Disadvantages: (Complications)

Accidental Change when embarrassed. Always changes to Invisible state. (This might be worth 20 points, but I figure it's worth fewer -- maybe even 0.)

Physical Limitation incapable of making Presence Attacks. (This might be worth 20 points, but I figure it's worth fewer, though probably not 0.)

Psychological Limitation passive-aggressive. Strongly inclined toward the following: speaking ambiguously and/or cryptically, chronically late, forgetful, fears competition, fears dependency, fears intimacy, unable to trust, makes chaotic situations, makes excuses for failure, obstructs, procrastinates, sulks, acts the victim. (This could be more than one Psych Lim. It's worth at least 15 points and probably more.)

Reputation as beneath notice. Even when Nat wants people to notice him, most immediately "recognize" him as pretty much worthless. (Probably worth 15 points.)

Social Limitation as unable to register the way others do. He cannot make reservations. Nobody thinks to put him on a database or mailing list. Although Nat can put himself on lists, he has to be proactive about doing that. (Probably worth 5 points or so.)

Unluck 3d6. (15 points.)

Vulnerable 2x Stun from surprise attacks. (10 points.)

Who's this Gnat person? I don't remember him... ;)

Seriously, though, I got a kick out of reading this. Being a fan of puns, my favorite bit was the "...but he couldn't hack it." I'm imagining his father's identity as a potential plot device.

The one thing I found just a bit jarring was the bomb bit, mainly because I didn't see him as someone who potentially kills. Basically, how "agressive" is his "passive-aggressive" nature?

As to the powers, you had his Invisibility as Costs END to Activate, but from the above it seems like it appears to be his natural state. If so, shouldn't it be 0 END and Persistent? (But not Always On, since he can will it off when he wants.)

I'll post a PDF of Gnat when I've got everything into the document, and people can provide feedback and suggest changes.

I'm imagining his father's identity as a potential plot device.

Definitely. For that matter, his mother's true identity.

The one thing I found just a bit jarring was the bomb bit' date=' mainly because I didn't see him as someone who potentially kills. Basically, how "agressive" is his "passive-aggressive" nature?[/quote']

I don't think Gnat would seek to kill people with a bomb -- just do a lot of damage to the building.

As to the powers' date=' you had his Invisibility as Costs END to Activate, but from the above it seems like it appears to be his natural state. If so, shouldn't it be 0 END and Persistent? (But not Always On, since he can will it off when he wants.)[/quote']

I considered this. It might be the best way to go. My thinking was that Gnat is not really unnoticeable in his "natural" state. If you saw him asleep, you'd see him. He's convinced, however, that being "invisible" is his natural state. Not sure I wrote that up correctly anyway . . . or if it's the right way to go. Thoughts?

I'll post a PDF of Gnat when I've got everything into the document' date=' and people can provide feedback and suggest changes.[/quote']

Many thanks!

Okay, here is the first draft of Gnat, as provided by Utech and edited by yours truly. I made a few minor changes (adding Combat Luck, increasing his Equipment pool, and modifying his Skills to use some Skill Levels), but most of this is Utech's work.

Feel free to comment, point out problems, and/or suggest changes.