The Millennium Bugs

BoloOfEarth

Re: The Millennium Bugs

I've been fairly busy for the past few days, and have a few things to post for comments and suggestions.

First, here is the first draft of the team writeup. It may well change, especially after I get the stuff on Clockwork Swarm and La Cucaracha, but I hope this captures the team feel adequately.

If there's anything in it that someone feels is incorrect or clashes with their view of the team, by all means let me know.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Next up is my writeup of Mantis. Previously, Badger had said he was too busy to write the character up but gave me permission to do so myself. My apologies in advance for the length of the Background text; I went with three snapshot scenes and got a bit verbose.

Badger: if you see this, I'd be especially interested in your feedback, since Mantis *is* your character concept.

And finally, I made some substantial changes to Doctor Worm's writeup (attached).

First, I added two powers that we really should have had on there to begin with. The main one was a Mind Scan to represent his locating a target computer remotely and connecting to do all his other fun stuff. The second was a general virus/malware, something that could be uploaded and then would infect other systems that the target system connects with.

Secondly, the original writeup bothered me in that, from the players' standpoint, there is nothing they can do to stop Worm's powers apart from cutting off access entirely. Also, there was basically no chance his powers *wouldn't* work on a target. So I added something that should have been there to begin with: Requires a Skill Roll. And to give the players something to literally do to try and stop Doctor Worm, I made it a Contested roll (in other words, a skill-versus-skill contest between Doctor Worm and the target, using his stated skill versus the Security Systems or what-not on the target computer, or target PC if he's going after a battlesuit computer).

True, this all adds a level of complexity. But I think that originally, Doctor Worm was almost a deux ex machina (pun fully intended). Adding Contested RSR to his powers brings him back down a notch.

As always, comments and suggestions and arguments welcome.

[Edit: I should note that Doctor Worm can spend additional time to get bonuses to his skill rolls, and would likely do so to increase his ability to break past his target's security.]

This may be obvious from what you've written, but you might want to plainly state that the Millennium Bugs are most useful when a GM is looking for something that does not lead quickly and unavoidably to a big battle. Players will get the most enjoyment out of detecting, tracking down, and foiling the MBs rather than hitting them.

Finally, you might note that some players have a tendency to have their characters use their most destructive attacks at full force against all opponents. Doing so against some Bugs members will result in a villain's death. Having to rush to the hospital the guy you just blasted might well be an exciting change for the players; and might suggest that they try using their powers with more care and consideration.

This may be obvious from what you've written, but you might want to plainly state that the Millennium Bugs are most useful when a GM is looking for something that does not lead quickly and unavoidably to a big battle. Players will get the most enjoyment out of detecting, tracking down, and foiling the MBs rather than hitting them.

Finally, you might note that some players have a tendency to have their characters use their most destructive attacks at full force against all opponents. Doing so against some Bugs members will result in a villain's death. Having to rush to the hospital the guy you just blasted might well be an exciting change for the players; and might suggest that they try using their powers with more care and consideration.

Good points. I could easily add both of these to the Campaign Use section, which really should be expanded anyway. When I get the info on the other two characters, I'll likely rewrite and/or add things to both the Group Relations and Tactics sections as well.

Thanks for pointing that out.

• 2 weeks later...

Clockwork Swarm part 1

Brady Cooper connected the last wire with a soldering gun. He smiled as he inspected the weld. It looked perfect.

He began assembling the cover around the small frame he had constructed in his lab. Sparks flew as he set everything in place and locked it down. His spider would be perfect.

"Dr. Cooper?" His secretary's voice drifted through the locked door. "Someone is here to see you."

"Tell them to go away." Cooper smiled as the spider walked on the table top. It moved better than he planned.

"Open this door, Cooper." The voice of the Davis Jeffries boomed through the wood. "I want to see you right now."

"Go away." The scientist glanced at the door. "I'm busy."

"Open this door right now!" Jeffries's voice climbed up several octaves. "Do it, or I'll break it down!"

"Hold on." Cooper placed a sliver of metal in front of his spider. It spread its wings for a second. He turned to go to the door.

He didn't have time for this.

Cooper opened the door a crack. He peered outside. Jeffries blocked his view of the other room with his bulk. The doctor could see his secretary looking a little worried off to one side.

"What is it, Jeffries?" Cooper looked up at his boss. "I'm in the middle of something extremely delicate right now."

"You were supposed to be at a meeting this morning to talk about your project." Jeffries leaned on the door. He found that Cooper had braced to keep him out of the lab beyond the portal. "Miss Kincaid says you have been locked up in the lab for the last week."

"I'm really busy." Cooper held the door while looking over his shoulder. "Can you come back tomorrow?"

"No, I can't come back." The bigger man leaned more on the door. "I'm the division chief. You're supposed to inform me of everything you are doing."

"I will as soon as I am done." Cooper leaned on the door from his side. "Please go away."

"I want a report right now." Jeffries tried to reach through the crack in the door to grab his subordinate. Pain ran up his arm from his hand. "You hurt me!"

"Go away." Cooper slammed the door in his face. He threw the locks. "I'm busy."

The doctor put the small torch on the table as he went back to observing his spider. It chewed on the sliver of metal he had given it. He wondered how long it would last on just a metal diet.

He pulled on a helmet he had modified from a basic pilot gear. He plugged in a cord from the back to a mobile battery in a belt. He had gotten the idea from the radio gear worn by drive thru workers. He pulled the visor down.

The inside of the glass lit up with readings from the spider. He smiled. Everything was going exactly as the chart said it would.

He just needed to run tests on its duplicating ability. That was the most important test to his way of thinking.

Any idiot could build a robot. How many could build a robot that can make clones of itself?

"I'm back, Cooper!" Jeffries barely got his attention as he pulled on his gloves and turned them on. "Open this door right now!"

"Go away!" The doctor worked his fingers. Signals went out from the transmitters built in the wrist bands. "I'm busy and don't have time for you right now. Come back tomorrow."

Cooper smiled as the spider danced on the table top. The controls worked perfectly. This was better than he thought it would be. Too bad he only had five commands in the gloves. He needed to put in a vocabulary next.

The door slammed open. Jeffries filled the opening. Two men from security stood behind him.

"You're fired, Cooper!" The chief stepped out of the way. "Get him out of here."

"I go where I want, Jefferies." The doctor pressed three of the buttons on the palms of his gauntlets.

The spider took to the air. The security guards paused. What was this?

Then the spider began to shoot lightning at them. That sent them scrambling for cover. Cooper laughed as he walked toward the door.

This was excellent.

Brady stepped out into the outer office. He shut the door behind him. Miss Kincaid stared at him. He smiled back.

"You might want to run." She did, grabbing her bag as she went.

The doctor pressed the duplicate button on his glove. He listened at the sound of grinding metal for a moment. That function partially worked at least. Then more lightning burned the air.

The men screamed as Cooper laughed at their predicament.

He wondered how long they would remain alive in the lab.

He decided to leave. He had some dangerous things in the lab. A stray bolt of lightning could be deadly. He used his pants belt to tie the door to the secretary's desk. Then he stepped out in the hall.

He needed some more parts for another prototype. Then he could refine the process. Then he could build bigger spiders with smarter brains.

All of that would require money.

An explosion rocked the floor. Cooper shook his head as flames exited the office behind him. Apparently the spiders hit something flammable after all.

He hoped Jeffries enjoyed his preliminary view of Hell for the few seconds he got to see it.

Cooper pulled his helmet off as the sprinklers cut on. He doubted they would do much to stop what was burning in his lab. He smiled at the thought of the place burning down. That would be his happiest memory of the place.

He laughed as he walked toward the stairs. His little friends could change everything for him.

Could things be more perfect than this? He didn't think so.

Cooper laughed again as he headed for the exit.

La Cucaracha

Stats

STR 15 [5]

DEX 18 [24]

CON 25 [30]

BODY 15 [10]

INT 10 [0]

EGO 10 [0]

PRE 14 [4]

COM 10 [0]

PD 30 [27]

ED 15 [10]

SPD 4 [12]

REC 8 [0]

END 50 [0]

STUN 35 [-6]

Total Stats Cost: 116

Powers

"Rubbery Body": Stretching 8'', x4 non-combat (45 active points); always direct (-1/4), requires STR roll (-1/2) [Cost: 26]

"Squeezing": Desolidification (40 active points), doesn't protect against damage (-1); can't go through completely solid objects (-1/2), requires STR roll (-1/2) [Cost: 20]

"Rubbery Body": Physical Damage Reduction 75% (60 active points), only vs. blunt attacks (-1/2) [Cost: 40]

"Enhanced Metabolism": Running +4'' [Cost: 8]

"The Catapult": Superleap +10'' [Cost: 20]

"Fists To Clubs": +3d6 damage; HTH only -1/2 [10]

Total Powers Cost: 124

Skills & Talents

Acrobatics 14- [5]

Contortionist 15- [7]

Language : Accented English (Spanish is native) [3]

AK: Mexican-U.S. border 12- [3]

KS: Gardening 12- [3]

PS: Gardener 11- [2]

Concealment 11- [3]

Security Systems 11- [3]

Stealth 13- [3]

TF: Agricultural Vehicles [2]

Perk: Anonymity [3]

Total Skills Cost: 35 points

Total Cost: 116+124+35= 275

Disadvantages [base points:150]

Dependence (cocaine and marijuana every hour or 1d6 and Weakness) (Common, Addiction) [15]

Distinctive Features: Smells of marijuana (Conceal with Effort, Major Reaction, Detect with Common Senses) [15]

DNPC 8- sister with Downs Syndrome (Incompetent) [15]

DNPC 8- brother (normal) [10]

Psychological Limitation: Protective of Family (Uncommon, Total) [15]

Psychological Limitation: Depressive (all the time, slightly) [15]

Susceptibility (use of non-defensive powers causes 1d6 per Turn; Common) [15]

Psychological Limitation: Looking for Pain Relief [15]

Hunted by the Laredo Border Cartel (as powerful, 8-) [10]

Total Disadvantages: 275

Background: I am from Vera Cruz, Mexico. My name is Raoul Ortega Vasques, but they call me La Cucaracha, Cockroach. They always called me La Cucaracha. It started way back in school at the age of nine or ten. I always was smaller than the other kids and since my parents were mere peasants, I had to help in the fields every day. I had two older brothers and a younger sister. She was born when I was six years old. Unfortunately she was born with Down-Syndrome. From that day on she was the center of attention of my parents. To pay for her medical bills my father left home and crossed the U.S. border in order to find work and send the money back to his family. This worked for the next nine years. One day we received a letter. Our father had been involved in an accident and was confined to a wheelchair. As soon as the U.S. authorities found out that he was an illegal alien, they brought him back to Mexico. We now had one more mouth to feed and no income anymore. My older brothers, twins, found work on a fishing boat and so could support the family. But that was not enough. I had to leave school at the age of fifteen and find work.

I was too small and too weak to work as a fisherman, but there was no other work. I was a good gardener though and in the U.S. I could make good money as a gardener for the rich people, so my father told me. I tried to cross the border seven times, but I was caught twice and had to retreat five other times. I just couldn't get into the land of the free and the rich. A friend of mine saw that I needed a job deperately. He introduced me to some people, who ran the only business, taht was really prospering in Mexico, drug trafficking. I never wanted anything to do with that, but the money convinced me to do it. At first I only seved as an errand boy. Later I also helped to prepare the cars which smuggled the drugs into the States.

I worked for the cartel for almost three years when our boss got into trouble with another drug-trafficking organization. Things got worse and worse. Even I was handed a gun and I couldn't just say "No!". That would have been unacceptable to them and put me even deeper into trouble if not danger. One of our drivers was shot by our enemies shortly before an important transport. He was a small guy and we looked very similar, so my boss decided that it would be me who would bring the drugs into the U.S. this time. He knew that I was not happy with the whole business and had recognized that lately I had become very nervous and tense. So he decided it was time to let me go. If I brought the truck to its destination I would be given a false ID with U.S. residency and 10.000 dollars. I cannot explain how excited I was. This was the chance to fulfill my dream. I jumped at the chance. The border control was the most nerve-wrecking thing I had ever experienced, but due to unexplicable luck or a bribed officer, I made into the land of hope. That afternoon I delivered the truck. A guy handed me a package and said I was free to go and that I should go somewhere safe and stay away from the border and the drug business.

I ran away and rented a hotel room. I sat down on the bed and opened the package. With the money and a new ID everything would change for me. As I opened the damn thing, green smoke arose from it and I inhaled most of it. When I awoke I lay flat on the floor and felt nothing but pain. They wanted me dead. That was for sure. But I was not dead. Not yet. The pain was overwhelming though. I couldn't think, I could barely walk, but I needed help. I stumbled out of my hotel room across the parking lot and onto the street. A truck hit me with full speed. I was knocked across the street. That had to be the end but I still lived. Not a single bone in my body was broken. The pain was still the same as before the accident. Was I dreaming? The driver of the truck saw me standing up. He hit pedal to the metal and screamed: "F***ing mutants!" Guess that's what I had become.

Quote: "Soy una cucaracha enojada y fumando marihuana."

Personality: Raoul still is a shy young boy. He is only 22. And he knows that it is not the right thing to do to hang around with supervillains. But on the other hand he sees no alternative for himself. He needs lots of money to support his family and to pay for the drugs that he uses regularly. His powers cause so much pain in his body that he cannot live without drugs anymore. He has become an addict. His addiction and his status as a supervillain have caused a massive feeling of guilt. Raoul became depressive and used more drugs to counter that, but he only got into another vicious circle. Most of the time now La Cucaracha is so stoned that he just does what the others tell him to do.

Powers Tactics: La Cucaracha's body is extremely elastic and can be stretched to great length. He is not a good fighter though and tends to leave the action to others. His specialty is infiltration. He can enter almost every building and hide in the shadows. If there is a mousehole or an airpipe he will get in. In a physical fight he cannot do much to harm most other superhumans, but he can take a beating. His rubbery body absorbs almost every damage done by blunt attacks, be it fists, boulders of rock or whole trucks, he'll survive it. Thsi doesn't work against energy attacks though and he will avoid such opponents. If necessary La Cucaracha can engage in a fight against a brick. He'll just take a pounding, so the enemy is occupied and can be taken on later by the others.

Appearance: Raoul is rather small (5'7'') and very slim. He has dark, short hair and the skin complexion of a typical Mexican. His facial features show that he is a descendent of the indigenous people.

Good work by the creators too.

Yeah, I'm really liking what they're sending me, and I look forward to the final product. I still need to do the 6th Edition conversions, but I don't think those will be all that difficult. Assuming I get the rest of Clockwork Swarm and La Cucaracha within the next two weeks, we should be well within deadline. (I'm really hoping to get at least some stuff by the 18th, since I'm heading up north from 8/19 to 8/22 and can devote some quality time to writing, editing, and layout.)

If this continues working out as it has thus far, I might do the same with another group from the Villain or Hero Theme Team threads for a later issue of Haymaker!. There have been some *really* cool ideas there that would be fun to see fully fleshed out.

So, I've been working on code words and phrases for the MB. Here's my list so far, but feel free to add to it or suggest changes:

• Queen Bee: Coordinate attacks on the enemy’s leader
  • Pillbug: Coordinate attacks on the enemy’s brick
  • Firefly: Coordinate attacks on the enemy’s energy projector
  • Bumblebee or Wasp: Coordinate attacks on the enemy’s flier or team vehicle
  • Centipede or Army Ant: Attack as many guards, police officers, or agents as possible
  • Termite: Cause property damage, usually as a distraction
  • Pesticide: Engage with lethal attacks
  • Cocoon: Go as defensive as possible
  • Bug Out: Escape by any means available (This is too obvious, so if someone has a better idea, I'd love to hear it)

Since I used multiple code phrases in a few other cases, I decided to take everybody's suggestions, and then some. (Hey, this is a mainly non-combat team. I figured they'll likely retreat more often than anything else.) So I'm going with:

Wing It, Bug Out, We’re Smoked, Flea, or RAID!!!: Escape by any means available

By the way, Legatus, I'm enjoying the additions to La Cucaracha. I've imported everything you've provided to date, and am looking forward to the rest. What kind of attack is he going to have --wrap-around and squeeze? Or something else?

Character Name: Clockwork Swarm

Nationality: American

Hair/Eye Color: gray/blue

Place of Birth: Boston, Mass.

Date of Birth: 8/18/65

Height/Mass: 5'11"/165 pounds

Cost Characteristic Value

5 STR 15

20 DEX 20

20 CON 20

0 BODY 10

20 INT 30

30 EGO 25

10 PRE 20

0 COM 10

PD 3

ED 4

10 SPD 4

REC 7

END 40

STUN 27

OCV: 6 DCV: 6 OECV: 8 DECV: 8

Phases: 3,6,9,12

Cost Powers and Talents (END)

Robot bug 70 pt multipower

2u Bug on a wall: Clairsentience 30 points, bug must be present (-½) 20 points

7u Bugs got Guns: Ranged killing attack 3d6 45 points, autofire (+½) 68 points

2u Take a Bullet for me: Missile Deflection 15 points

5u Chew it up: Tunneling 6" 30 points, through 5 defense + 15 points 45 points

2u Bring me my pills: Telekinesis 20 str, 30 points Affects whole object (-1/4) 24 points

1u Catch Me: Gliding 8" 8 points

5u Let Me Take That Apart for You: Dispel Technology 15d6 45 points

4u Heavy Chewing: Drain Body 4d6 40 points

Send in the Bug Calvary: Aid 4d6 to multipower 40 points side effect: environmental damage (-½) 26 points

Lab coat: Armor (10 pd/10 ed) 30 points (OIF -1/2) 20 points

Bug Eyes: Combat sense 15- 15 points

Bug Eyes: Nightvision, infrared, ultraviolet vision 15 points

Radio Hearing: 10 points

Bag of tricks 24 + 12 point power pool 36 points

Cost Skills

3 Analyze science 15-

3 Computer programming 15-

3 Electronics 15-

3 Mechanics 15-

3 Inventor 15-

3 Systems operations 15-

3 Paramedics 15-

3 PS: Robotics 15-

3 PS: Insects 15-

3 PS: Physics 15-

3 PS: Quantum Mechanics 15-

3 KS: Cybernetics15 -

3 KS: The scientific world 15-

3 KS: The scientific underworld 15-

3 Streetwise 13-

3 Deduction 15-

2 WF: Energy weapons

8 + 1 all non-combat skills

40 + 8 DCV

3 Absolute range sense

3 Absolute time sense

3 Bump of direction

5 Eidetic Memory

3 Lightning Calculator

6 Speed reading

150 Points Disadvantages

30 Hunted by Police 14-

25 Hunted by Argent 11-

10 Casual Killer

20 Loves checking out tech to apply to his creation

5 Reputation: Cybernetic Genius 11- known to a small group

15 Rivalry with other gadgeteers

25 Dependence: pain killers, 1d6 damage. Incompetence and weakness every hour. addicted

20 DNPC Edna Cooper, Mother 11-

CHA Cost = 115

Total Powers Cost = 220

Total Skills Cost = 115

Total Cost = _______450/450___________

Background Information: Brady Cooper was an excellent student, researcher, expert in robotics and related fields. He landed a job constructing robotic devices for Silver Line R&D and became head of his division after a few years.

Brady suffered an accident. He was driving into work when he discovered a yellowjacket in his car. The hornet attacked and he wrecked his car. He began suffering headaches after this. He started taking painkillers and continued long after the headaches had faded.

This also led to Brady having an idea of designing a weapon based around flying insects like the yellowjacket, or bee. He threw himself into the project. Ignoring his responsibilities led to several confrontations with the management of his company.

Brady didn't care.

He perfected a prototype of his invention just in time to be fired. He quit with an explosion and the death of his immediate supervisor.

Brady joined the Millennium Bugs in the hopes of building better versions of his weapon. He has no qualms about keeping any technology he might need for his experiments.

What Brady didn't know was that Silver Line was a front for Argent, the high tech weapons dealer. They are not pleased by the fact he blew up one of their front labs as well as escaping with the knowhow to build as many robot insects as he wants.

They are on the lookout for him and have alerted their contacts to keep tabs on Brady whenever he surfaces.

Quote: "Let's swarm, babies."

Personality: Brady's primary goal is to create better versions of his weapons. He checks out any new technology that comes his way for that. His addiction to painkillers has also made him extremely casual about violence to others, and property.

His only soft spot is his mother who lives in a sanitarium. He supports her anonymously in cash so she can't be used to track him down.

If something were to happen to her, he would go berserk trying to find the culprit.

Appearance: Brady is a scarecrow of a man who wears some type of lab coat everywhere he goes. He has built controls for his bugs in a microphone in the collar. Gold flying spiders surround him wherever he goes unless ordered otherwise.

Powers: Brady's powers beyond his intellect and skills are centered on his spiders. He uses them to spy, fire lasers at targets, dig through obstacles, take technology apart like mobile tools, and sometimes eat people.

He can also use them to do tricks that fit certain situations where applicable.

When he tells them to duplicate (the aid), the additional spiders come from whatever metal the originals can eat to produce them. More spiders means more danger to his enemies.

Plot Hook 1) Brady Cooper's mother has disappeared from the nursing home where she has been living. Brady is not happy, really not happy. As bigger and bigger clockworks start tearing up the town, can the heroes calm things down by finding Mrs. Cooper. Who took her and why? Did anybody take her at all?

Plot Hook 2) Mechanical Spiders are spreading through town, eating everything in sight. Did Brady lose control of his creation? Is this some kind of preclude to extortion? Can the heroes prevent the situation from escalating?

Plot Hook 3) Clockwork Swarm has been seen in town. So have other criminals. The word on the street is Argent is finally going to try and pay Brady back. Violence breaks out. Can the heroes save the villain from his worst enemy, or is the whole thing a scam? And where are the mercenaries getting their orders?

GM's Note: Brady is a deadlier House. Nothing exists outside of his obsession of the moment. He can be used by both sides of the fence as long as no one remembers he has no conscience or problem with killing his enemies.

His protection of his mother could be played for laughs easily.

(Right in the deadline. Sorry for taking so long. Have a nice trip. CES)

Looks great! And many thanks for getting it in by today. I assume you want the background from this incorporated into/after the part you posted previously. I'll try and have a PDF posted of the combined version and writeup early next week for your feedback and any corrections or changes.

Thanks again, and have a great weekend (a few days early). I plan to do the same.

A few questions on Clockwork Swarm:

Are the PS's and Cybernetics KS actually Science Skills? I'd think that would make more sense. I could see a PS: Research Scientist on there, however, and the Scientist skill enhancer would make sense if going with Science Skills.

Is the +8 DCV from bugs swarming around him? Or some other explanation?

Should the WF: Energy weapons be Weaponsmith instead?

Does the Aid only boost the Multipower pool, or the slots as well?

I found some differences in cost (e.g. DEX should be 30 points), so is it okay if the cost is different from 450? I'm cool with it if you are.

A few questions on Clockwork Swarm:

Are the PS's and Cybernetics KS actually Science Skills? I'd think that would make more sense. I could see a PS: Research Scientist on there, however, and the Scientist skill enhancer would make sense if going with Science Skills.

I don't see why not.

Is the +8 DCV from bugs swarming around him? Or some other explanation?

yes.

Should the WF: Energy weapons be Weaponsmith instead? I believe so.

Does the Aid only boost the Multipower pool, or the slots as well?

yes.

I found some differences in cost (e.g. DEX should be 30 points), so is it okay if the cost is different from 450? I'm cool with it if you are.

i was aiming for 450 from the guidelines but I admit that I was in a hurry this morning and do not have hero designer for either edition.

CES

i was aiming for 450 from the guidelines but I admit that I was in a hurry this morning and do not have hero designer for either edition.

CES

I'm not holding that as a hard-and-fast limit, I was just trying to make sure we don't have a 275-point character in the same group with a 550-point character. So no worries about that.

Thanks for the answers. I'll have the preliminary PDF of Clockwork Swarm posted probably Monday.

I'm not holding that as a hard-and-fast limit, I was just trying to make sure we don't have a 275-point character in the same group with a 550-point character. So no worries about that.

Thanks for the answers. I'll have the preliminary PDF of Clockwork Swarm posted probably Monday.

Gracias

CES