I wonder how much Antique's Roadshow would appraise it for...

Escafarc

Re: I wonder how much Antique's Roadshow would appraise it for...

And to answer the question in the title, since there's no certificate of authenticity, Antiques Roadshow would appraise it for between USD 1000-5000. Rick Harrison (Pawn Stars) would probably go no higher than USD 100, maybe USD 150 if it's a pretty woman who brings it in. Paige Davis (Trading Spaces) would get a redneck couple from Alabama in to wallpaper it with 70s-style tapioca brown/lime green stripes.

Of course, it being an amphitheater makes it a bit difficult to carry.

Condition is a major concern when appraising antiques. I doubt this place is "mint."

Right. Only one is actually quoted in that article, and his qualifications aren't specified. Like UFOlogists, the ones with credentials are rarely the ones making the big claims.

The first article makes it sound like a huge unfinished game of soduku...

“We know that one of Arthur’s two main battles was fought at a town referred to as the City of Legions. There were only two places with this title. One was St Albans but the location of the other has remained a mystery.”

The recent discovery of an amphitheatre with an execution stone and wooden memorial to Christian martyrs, has led researchers to conclude that the other location is Chester...

it just seems to me that there is a logical step missing or the information has been abbreviated by either the article or the "historians."

It's like this was the scene: "Well boys, it seems that this place has a memorial to Christian Martyrs, AND an execution stone, and we've recently found it... so that must mean that there never were any other towns in the entirety of England that fit that description, even ones that may have fallen into disrepair or dismantled shortly after their decline."

"Yes sir, that sums it up."

"Alrighty then, we've found Camelot, Print that up for the AP, I'll get my tenure yet Jerry!"

At least the second article gives a bit more leeway as to whether this is a given.

More to the point, according to Geoffrey of Monmouth (who counts as an authority since he made a lot of the legends about Arthur up himself, or at least wrote down other people's made-up legends) Belinus "founded was a certain city on the bank of the River Usk, near to the Severn Sea; this was the capital of Demetia (nowadays South Wales) and for a long time it was called Kaerusc. When the Romans came the earlier name was dropped and it was re-named the City of the Legions, taking its title from the Roman legions who used to winter there." The city at that site is today known as Caerleon. So there you have it.

cheers, Mark

Chester was nice the last time I was up there (which was decades ago). I don't know if the zoo is still there, but I'm sure Caernarvon castle is still right up the road. A good walking and sightseeing town.