• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ragitsu

• Certified

• tkdguy

• Clonus

34 minutes ago, Ragitsu said:

spacer.png

tkdguy, what is the literacy rate in Middle Earth? Are run-of-the-mill commoners able to read?

It has never been stated, but I would assume Elves and Dunedain at least would be literate. Even the commoners in Minas Tirith may have some basic literacy. I don't know if the majority of the Hobbits or Men of Bree would be literate.

Aragorn would definitely be literate, since he was brought up in Rivendell.

On another note (literally)

6 hours ago, Ragitsu said:

tkdguy, what is the literacy rate in Middle Earth? Are run-of-the-mill commoners able to read?

5 hours ago, tkdguy said:

It has never been stated, but I would assume Elves and Dunedain at least would be literate. Even the commoners in Minas Tirith may have some basic literacy. I don't know if the majority of the Hobbits or Men of Bree would be literate.

Excuse me for butting in, but among the Hobbits of the Shire the upper crust could certainly read -- many many references to correspondence and borrowing books among Bilbo and Frodo's friends and relations -- but the everyday, blue-collared Hobbits mostly could not; Bilbo taught Samwise his letters, and Hamfast seemed to not wholly approve.

Steel Aces: Playing Jacks 2, Page 7: Rings of Fire
The fever battle outside the Chimera lab boils over as we learn where Bulwark has been as the remaining Aces deal with Drifters and the Slither Tank.  
https://housedok.com/comic/playing-jacks-part-2-page-7/

Enjoying the weekly updates? Join the Patreon to unlock bonus content, polls, expanded story seeds, and chat with us on Discord. Every Patron helps us in creating Steel Aces and Metahumans Rising content. https://www.patreon.com/Metahumans

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MetahumansRising
Itch: https://housedok.itch.io/metahumans-rising
Twitter: https://twitter.com/HouseDokPro

#Metahumans #Superheroes #TTRPG #TTRPGSolidarity #TTRPGRising #Comic #SteelAces 

"Message in a Bottle" -> A hive-mind microbial life form that absorbs all the energy you throw at it and is able to possess you.

"Bane" -> Aerial alien insects that transform their victims into more of their own kind (via mutagenic venom).

"Watergate" -> Sentient water that is able to possess you.

"Entity" -> An electronic life form that can control computer systems and is able to possess you.

With the black hole, the game is over more-or-less instantly; at best, you may be able to escape via a spaceship/starship or perhaps stumble across the "nuke the gate" solution. With the other planets, you are tackling unconventional horrors that cannot always be countered with brute force.

On 5/15/2022 at 2:06 AM, tkdguy said:

This is one of those factoids that truly seems trivial...until it actually matters. I really ought to remember that these quasi-medieval fantasy worlds don't possess literacy rates anywhere near those of worlds with industrialized societies (barring the omnipresence of magic or some other equalizing force that makes mass-education viable).

On 5/15/2022 at 7:39 AM, L. Marcus said:

Excuse me for butting in, but among the Hobbits of the Shire the upper crust could certainly read -- many many references to correspondence and borrowing books among Bilbo and Frodo's friends and relations -- but the everyday, blue-collared Hobbits mostly could not; Bilbo taught Samwise his letters, and Hamfast seemed to not wholly approve.

Your butt always has a place at this table.

On 5/15/2022 at 7:50 AM, tkdguy said:

I agree the upper crust among the Hobbits would be literate. Same thing with the upper classes in places like Bree, Gondor, and Rohan. I believe Elves and Dwarves would be literate regardless of social status.

Elves, absolutely: they've got the time!