The Expendables the movie, must see for DC players/GM

Barton

Just saw the movie, had great action scenes (excellent examples of fast draw for example). A good action movie that will give you ideas for DC games. Warning it is rated R and I would not recommend it for children; it was very violent and much bad language.

Re: The Expendables the movie, must see for DC players/GM

All of the heroes had various DC gun stunts. For examples, Rapid Fire (Naked Advantage of AF 5 on any handgun) and Machinegunner from Hell (Naked Advantage of AoE on any autofire weapon).

Not to mention, Autofire Advantages or massive levels only for Sweep. In Short that movie is a Dark Champions Wet Dream. Cobbeling together characters for it right now as we type, hence, all the crappy typoes.

~Rex

I didn't love the movie' date=' but it was a decent enough time killer. I really liked the Atchisson Assault shotgun loaded with explosive rounds making it into a man-portable Mk 19. It was a little unrealistic, but it was fun to watch.[/quote']

But it did seem the sort of thing you'd get when a PC is able to design his own unique ammo.

The automatic shotgun is called the AA-12 and the exploding round is called the FRAG-12. The AA-12 is man portable. And they both really do exist.

I knew about the AA-12, but didn't know the FRAG-12 was real. Sweet.

Hmm... looks like page 212 of Dark Champions has "Explosive Slug" ammo for shotguns. That sounds good enough. Although the rounds being used seem to simply do more damage to the target and didn't explode akin to a grenade.

The automatic shotgun is called the AA-12 and the exploding round is called the FRAG-12. The AA-12 is man portable. And they both really do exist.

I knew about the AA-12 from my days playing Morrow Project, and it was nice to see it on screen. I didn't know that the FRAG-12 round. The thing I thought was unrealistic was the amount of explosive power the combination seemed to have when used against emplacements.

I knew about the AA-12, but didn't know the FRAG-12 was real. Sweet.

Hmm... looks like page 212 of Dark Champions has "Explosive Slug" ammo for shotguns. That sounds good enough. Although the rounds being used seem to simply do more damage to the target and didn't explode akin to a grenade.

Yeah. It was fun to watch, but I don't think it would really work out that way. Movies tend to overdo all explosive ordinance though.

I should have known someone would have done a test and posted it on You Tube. Enjoy:

That looks like a steel plate in back there, probably less than an inch in thickness. If you were in a car, or taking cover behind a car, you would not be happy.

I've gotten to play with the AA12, and a lot of it's Magic Ammo. The fact that they haven't really had to play up it's capabilities now it 2 Awesome movies of manliness, bodes well for what is an exceptionally fine and easy to maintain combat weapon of utter destructiveness. The Frag 12 Round is especially nasty and versatile. However, the fact that the weapon system works, is relatively flawless, cheap, and effective, means we may not see it's general issue. :D

http://www.defensereview.com/auto-assault-12-shotgunfrag-12-high-explosive-round-comboweapon-system/

Future Weapons gave it an entire half episode as well where they run it through all it's paces, including vehicle and dual mounts, etc etc etc .....

~Rex

AA-12 and fancy ammunition in real life:

I love how bloodthirsty this ex-Navy Seal is in these shows. Its to the point of humor sometimes.

I gotta include this in the eventually Kazei 5 expansion supplement.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah. It was fun to watch' date=' but I don't think it would really work out that way. Movies tend to overdo all explosive ordinance though.[/quote']

And they surely overdid it in this movie. Oy gevalt, did they overdo it. Outdid even a Michael Bay film for petrol fireballs, and that, friend, is hard to do.

I finally saw the movie today, and I was impressed at the sheer amount of mooks mowed down during the course of the film.

Can anyone tell me what kind of pistols that Stallone's character was rapid-firing two-handed style in the big battle at the end? They sounded like cannons going off next to some of the other guns being used.

If anyone is planning to post characters, I'd love to see them. :)

It looks like a pair of cut-down 1911-pattern semi-autos. It also looks like he was fanning them, like you fan a revolver, except that a semiauto pistol has a slide which would chew his hand up if he tried that. He could have been working the slide, but I'm still very dubious about it.

But still, Hollywood, eh?

I finally saw the movie today, and I was impressed at the sheer amount of mooks mowed down during the course of the film.

Can anyone tell me what kind of pistols that Stallone's character was rapid-firing two-handed style in the big battle at the end? They sounded like cannons going off next to some of the other guns being used.

If anyone is planning to post characters, I'd love to see them. :)

It looks like a pair of cut-down 1911-pattern semi-autos. It also looks like he was fanning them, like you fan a revolver, except that a semiauto pistol has a slide which would chew his hand up if he tried that. He could have been working the slide, but I'm still very dubious about it.

But still, Hollywood, eh?

He had a pair of 1911 style semi-autos, but he also had some sort of single-action revolver in an S.O.B. holster that he used a couple of times to quick draw and fan.

If there is ever an attempt to do Western Hero again, fanning the hammer has to be a super skill based on a Naked Autofire Advantage. I can't remember how they dealt with it in 4th Edition before you had that option. Wasn't that when Western Hero was done?