inflict berserk power

yukonhorror

I want to make a power that inflicts a berserk state upon a foe. In this way, he'll attack anyone adj (friend or foe).

I was thinking of doing this in one of two ways (but am open to ANY suggestions).

First, have a power like Aid strength with usable only on others and side effects (causes target to go into berserk). This is a power in the side bar and might be what I want to do.

OR

Use the cost of the complication as the active cost (possibly give it a +1/4 advantage so it is in weaponized form) with normal limitations like requires a roll, OAF, gestures, incantation, etc...

OR

something someone suggests on this topic.

I am leaning towards the first, but curious what you guys think. I am leaning towards that, then I could use it on allies if they wanted to take that risk.

Re: inflict berserk power

Or a Mental Transform (with Time Limit if you don't want it to last a very long time).

If the power is going to be used in an offensive fashion, I wouldn't do it purely with Side Effects. The way I've done this in the past is to use a Multipower with two slots: 1.) beneficial power with side effect that causes the detrimental effects; 2.) detrimental power with side effects that cause the beneficial effects. Technically you use slot #1 on friends and slot #2 on enemies, but once you've modeled it adequately that way, I wouldn't worry about what slot is active and such.

The APG suggests using Change Environment to inflict short term complications on people. Slap a 'Side Effect' of boosting their strength (which isn't a good idea vs opponents generally... especially if they make their EGO roll and just get strong-mad not Berserk)

So, use this power:

Change Environment (Inflict 45 Points of Complications) (45 Active Points); Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (-1/2)

to add this complication:

Enraged: Berserk Being Hit by This Power (Very Common), go 14-, recover 8-

As a GM I would allow neither construction. The first is essential attempting to use a Side Effect limitation to attack others, which goes against the first rule of power limitations. As for the second build, Transform is the power to use to inflict Complications on others.

Personally, I'd use Mind Control to force someone to attack the nearest target.

I want the str bump as it reflects the berserk status effect in final fantasy. I didn't think about transform (I'll look into that).

Also, mind control is an instant attack, so if I wanted the state to be prolonged, I'd have to take constant and actively use each turn (which is counterintuitive to its nature). (I haven't really looked into it as mental attacks and such won't be in the game except for specific cases) I want this to be an attack that I use, and that person is in a berserk state until the STR goes away or the person can shake himself free of the enraged state.

I say "I", but really I mean the player who has the power. I am the GM. But I want the power to be balanced.

Can you use change environment to target just one person and to stick to that person?

I want the str bump as it reflects the berserk status effect in final fantasy. I didn't think about transform (I'll look into that).

Also, mind control is an instant attack, so if I wanted the state to be prolonged, I'd have to take constant and actively use each turn (which is counterintuitive to its nature). (I haven't really looked into it as mental attacks and such won't be in the game except for specific cases) I want this to be an attack that I use, and that person is in a berserk state until the STR goes away or the person can shake himself free of the enraged state.

You could force them to Push thier STR when you cause them to attack with Mind Control.

going to ignore the strength effect when used against bad guys. I looked at transform, and they specifically mention complications. I'll take that as the best one.

So I built it as such:

Enfuriate: Severe Mental Transform 8d6 targets EGO not Body (+0) (120 active points); only works in combat (-1/2) Sentient beings only (-1/4) All or nothing (-1/2) fast healing (REC/turn) (-2) Extra phase (-3/4) Real cost: 24 pts.

The ego not body is +0 (not +1/4) because EGO in my campaign will be emphasized as the CON for non-physical attacks.

So thanks for the help.

As a GM I would allow neither construction. The first is essential attempting to use a Side Effect limitation to attack others, which goes against the first rule of power limitations. As for the second build, Transform is the power to use to inflict Complications on others.

Transform is the power to add complications on others in the long term... Change Environment is discussed in the APG as 'short term Transform', and specifically goes into adding complications via Change Environment

You could force them to Push thier STR when you cause them to attack with Mind Control.

I'm not sure I'd allow that as a GM. Pushing is supposed to be reserved for acts of extreme heroism; allowing it to be done not only when it's not heroic but when you've been forced against your will to do it? No way.

Transform is the power to add complications on others in the long term... Change Environment is discussed in the APG as 'short term Transform'' date=' and specifically goes into adding complications via Change Environment[/quote']

True, but everything in the APG is deep in optional, only-with-GM's-permission territory.

Also, Mind Control is an instant power, but it's effects can last for a relatively long time.

Hmm. Actually on reconsidering it, I'm not sure the Strength boost is a detriment to the character with the Mind Control/Transform/whatever. Since you very well may be forcing them to attack their allies, giving them a bonus to Strength or something may well be a benefit to you. So maybe it'd be best as a simple Linked power.

I'm not sure I'd allow that as a GM. Pushing is supposed to be reserved for acts of extreme heroism; allowing it to be done not only when it's not heroic but when you've been forced against your will to do it? No way.

So villians can never Push?

Not unless they have an inspirational moment and commit an act of heroism' date=' IMO. That may be rare in a two-col...err, four-color setting, but it could happen more often in games with a little more realistic ("human") villains.[/quote']

I need page numbers for this.

I need page numbers for this.

There's no page number for the "IMO" part, but how's this, right under the topic of "Pushing":

Occasionally a character needs to exceed the normal limits of his abilities to perform a noble' date=' heroic, or life-saving action. This is called Pushing.[/quote']

and:

Seventh' date=' characters can only use Pushing for crucial, heroic, or life-saving actions.[/quote']

I want to make a power that inflicts a berserk state upon a foe. In this way, he'll attack anyone adj (friend or foe).

I was thinking of doing this in one of two ways (but am open to ANY suggestions).

First, have a power like Aid strength with usable only on others and side effects (causes target to go into berserk). This is a power in the side bar and might be what I want to do.

OR

Use the cost of the complication as the active cost (possibly give it a +1/4 advantage so it is in weaponized form) with normal limitations like requires a roll, OAF, gestures, incantation, etc...

OR

something someone suggests on this topic.

I am leaning towards the first, but curious what you guys think. I am leaning towards that, then I could use it on allies if they wanted to take that risk.

Against a Foe? Answer 1: Transform, answer 2: Mind controll: Emotion Only: Fixed command "Go mad with Rage!".....

Wow' date=' I guess we'll have to make a house rule. We have always allowed Pushing whenever it was needed along with viliians being able to Push too. And it's never been a problem.[/quote']

Yaeh I've also considered "Push" as a basic everybody thang, but others have problems with it. Some don't even like Heros pushing.....

Yaeh I've also considered "Push" as a basic everybody thang' date=' but others have problems with it. Some don't even like Heros pushing.....[/quote']

I think its acceptance tends to parallel the use of soft or hard caps in games (GM's using hard caps probably restrict Pushing more than those use soft or no caps).

Also' date=' mind control is an instant attack, [/quote']

I think you're misunderstanding something. Please read the description of Mind Control again.

Yes, it's "instant" but so are most damaging attacks. If I hit you with a Blast, and do damage, on my next phase I can attack someone else, dodge, jump up and down and whistle Yankee Doodle if I want; I only spend one phase making that attack, it's "instant." BUT, that doesn't mean the damage I did goes away on my next phase; if you took damage, you're still damaged.

Similarly, if i hit you with Mind Control, the attack is "instant" and once it's done, I'm done with it (unless I choose to keep pouring END into it, which does have some benefits....see below.) But if you're Mind is Controlled, it stays Controlled, just as your STUN and BOD might stay reduced after a Blast until you can RECover them.

The Mind Control doesn't end until the target makes a "breakout roll" to break free of it. If the Mind Controller keeps spending END, that roll doesn't get easier as it normally would over time - but even if it's "fire and forget" the target might stay under the influence for a long time.

I think Mind Control, possibly with a linked Aid STR, is what you're looking for.

Lucius Alexander

Palindromedary Control

I'd have the transform go against the targets ego instead of their body

an other way would be a mental illusion of their greatest enemy and have at

Personally, I'd use Mind Control to force someone to attack the nearest target.