regeneration and bleeding

feralucce

I know, I know, the book says you can modify rules due to common sense, but typically, when the book outright says "NO" I tend to listen.

The situation is that one player (you know the kind) wants to play a wolverine clone with ridiculous regeneration.

Can anyone think of a good reason that, in this situation, the bleeding should NOT stop? My instinct is to have the character stop bleeding when the regeneration first goes off

Re: regeneration and bleeding

This is the way that I see this issue -

Regen does not automatically by itself stop bleeding, but it does rapidly accelerate healing. As a result, the character will heal faster to the point that they reach the point that they will normally stop bleeding. Example: Wolverine Clone is injured to by 7 BODY. Every Turn the GM rolls 2d6 additional BODY. His Regen heals 2 BODY every turn. After a modified 3 BODY heals, the bleeding will stop.

Can anyone think of a good reason that, in this situation, the bleeding should NOT stop?

Some sort of extremely powerful anticoagulant, like a Ranged Continous BODY Drain. Maybe a poison custom-designed for the character, or an otherworldly monster possessing that as a power.

Hope that helps.

I have generally ruled that most forms of Regeneration prevent bleeding out, but Body damage is rare enough in my games it usually isn't an issue. The Regeneration is usually a minor expenditure in the 'it makes sense for the character', rather than 'I expect to take craploads of Body damage on a regular basis'.

Yeah... my games don't normally have massive amounts of body damage... but this is the same guy that attacked an MLRS system with a maul

Hm. Reminds me of a game once where I was playing a psionic character with an Intelligence Aid. Every time someone in the group said something stupid, I'd use it on them without asking, essentially my IC way of asking 'are you SURE that's a good idea?' :)

It seems to me that the automaton power adequately fits the need. Alternatively, extra Regen that only offsets bleeding damage would do the trick. The usual "lose one BOD per PS 12 is easily offset by 1 Regen per turn, limited for this purpose.

For really fast Regen, see APG. If you regenerate 1 BOD per phase or segment, that 1 BOD loss in PS 12 isn't as big a deal.

Simply adding Unified Power to the Does not Bleed, or buying the suppress, etc. to all Regen SFX powers, would solve that problem, but limited Regen can work just as well.

Is it really a big deal for the character envisioned to heal quickly to have some mechanic that prevents bleeding out? Equal points spent on more defenses generally reduces BOD damage a lot more than the pace Regen heals it.

Is your concern mechanical (ie you consider the desired ability unbalancing) or conceptual (ie you just don't want the character to have this particular ability)?