Need help for a low-level / street-level-campaign

Steffen

Although I’ve been running a superhero campaign for a few months now I still consider myself new to this genre.

While I have a fairly clear idea of the campaign in general, I’m in need of suggestions and tips concerning rescue missions, heroic deeds and stories suitable for low-powered heroes (standard heroic) that are not part of the overall storyline that I can occasionally throw at my players as a diversion and to show them that people need their help.

While the brick and the teleporter want to use their powers to help people, the electric energy projector doesn’t see a good reason to do so (the player is unwilling to play good, helpful characters) and the Nightcrawler rip-off is just… present (the player is unable to make decisions).

Maybe it’s also helpful to know that the year is 2003 in the “real” world and the characters are the first superbeings. Only a few people know about their existence, to the media and the public they are no more than an urban legend. There have only been a few sightings and just a few heroic exploits.

So, does anybody have suggestions for me or knows published modern-day adventures (game system is not important) including crimes, murders, non-super human opponents and detective work?

I’ll probably go to the “Internationale Spieltage SPIEL” in Essen next week and hope to find some suggested books.

Thanks! :)

Re: Need help for a low-level / street-level-campaign

I'd recommend putting the onus on the player' date=' and ask him what motivates his character and what kinds of adventures/scenarios would engage both the character and the player.[/quote']

I agree. If he "bought into" the original campaign concept, he's not holding up his end of the bargain. If he didn't...you need to reach some kind of agreement on what sort of game (and what sort of character) will suit you both.

Personally, on the occasions when a player's character isn't motivated to be a hero, I generally just let the player sit there while I deal with the engaged players' characters. But then, playing a character who can'twon't participate in the adventure violated Campaign Rule # 2 -- "If your character's personality, values, goals, hygiene, etc. make it unreasonably difficult or impossible for him to work with the other characters...choose another character." (Rule # 1 is "No silly characters. Nuff said.")

Gramercy Island had a 100 plot ideas in the back. The GM's guide had a set of adventures. One of those was about a growing blob that eats everything in sight.

RPG. NET, Palladium Heroes Unlimited, and the Angel forum generally have campaign threads to poach.

Crosshair Collie asked for low level heroes/villains from other sources on this board. Grab one of those books, or a synopsis, for an adventure.

Pick a movie from ten-twenty years ago like independence day and convert that.

The no ordinary family has a breakdown of that show.

Search the forum for adventure/game/story ideas.

CES

I tend to agree with the vengeance motivation.

Low-level and street gaming can be very interesting but you have to interest yourself (and the player) int othe Police procedures and criminal organisations.

Use what the players gave you for background in their private life.

Remember when uncle ben died because the birthing Spiderman let a criminal flee..

Remember what regrets Pete Parker still have years after.

This is a street based vengeance story.

There are tons of way to get the character involved by using their "normal" life. And it's the best imho to play such a campaign.

I use to say, in a superheroic campaign the main character is the Super. Not so sure in a low-leveled campaign ;)

He needs a vengeance motive. Get him involved in a gang war between your two favorite organized crime groups.

Your're probably right. Fights are what he likes most about RPGs.

Concerning the vengeance motive I suggested he should take the psychological complication “Justice, not Law” to explain why he liked to beat up bad guys but during play I had to explain that it didn’t mean “Killing criminals is okay”. I'm glad that he gave in, the police officer brick was already preparing to flex her muscles...

I'd recommend putting the onus on the player' date=' and ask him what motivates his character and what kinds of adventures/scenarios would engage both the character and the player.[/quote']

I did that already but I should probably do so again before we go on playing (I'm taking a break from GMing right now). Maybe he came up with something.

Problem is, his initial motivation was to find out how and why they got their powers. When they accomplished this (so they think) he had to find a new motivation which is right now simple curiosity (probably just the player who wants to see what happens next) and some sense of loyalty to his companions who are thinking about helping and saving people on a regular basis. This is enough for him to stay in the game but he also told me that he wants to find a better reason to help people than simply being a nice guy.

I agree. If he "bought into" the original campaign concept' date=' he's not holding up his end of the bargain. If he didn't...you need to reach some kind of agreement on what sort of game (and what sort of character) will suit you both.[/quote']

It's already some kind of agreement. He's not into superheroes but the others wanted to try a superhero game so I build the campaign as a modern science fiction/fantasy story with normal people that acquire superpowers but don't wear flashy costumes to satisfy everyone. I'm trying to increase the level of superheroicness slowly.

Personally' date=' on the occasions when a player's character isn't motivated to be a hero, I generally just let the player sit there while I deal with the engaged players' characters. But then, playing a character who can'twon't participate in the adventure violated Campaign Rule # 2 -- "If your character's personality, values, goals, hygiene, etc. make it unreasonably difficult or impossible for him to work with the other characters...choose another character." (Rule # 1 is "No silly characters. Nuff said.")[/quote']

He is participating and his character does work with the others, it's just that he does not want to or cannot play a hero. He can't imagine why anyone would do so. He is just not very good at playing a PC with a some kind of personality as it would mean to do things and make decisions he, as a player, does not want to do or take, especially if they involve risking the life of his PC.

No matter what PC he plays, basically they are all Chaotic Neutral Half-Orcs. But we know that and can deal with it.

He is participating and his character does work with the others, it's just that he does not want to or cannot play a hero. He can't imagine why anyone would do so. He is just not very good at playing a PC with a some kind of personality as it would mean to do things and make decisions he, as a player, does not want to do or take, especially if they involve risking the life of his PC.

In my experience and opinion, yo're going to have to make everything personal with this player/character. I have had players like this. Generally to keep them involved, you have to go after everything they have.

You have to teach them how to be a hero.

CES

Here you go...a little expansion on my earlier advice that just came to me.

One organized crime group (A) knows he's not really hero material, and thinking he can be bought, goes to him and makes an offer to help them muscle in on some other group's (B) turf. If you want, they can have some leverage over someone he holds dear. He can either (1) help A and make B mad at him, (2) he can try to bust A and make A mad at him, or (3) he can tell them to piss off which makes A mad, but then B knows they met without knowing the outcome, so B thinks he's helping A, and now he's stuck in the middle. Considering he's got good guy friends, he's not likely to choose 1 unless he wants to infiltrate the group.

Here you go...a little expansion on my earlier advice that just came to me.

One organized crime group (A) knows he's not really hero material, and thinking he can be bought, goes to him and makes an offer to help them muscle in on some other group's (B) turf. If you want, they can have some leverage over someone he holds dear. He can either (1) help A and make B mad at him, (2) he can try to bust A and make A mad at him, or (3) he can tell them to piss off which makes A mad, but then B knows they met without knowing the outcome, so B thinks he's helping A, and now he's stuck in the middle. Considering he's got good guy friends, he's not likely to choose 1 unless he wants to infiltrate the group.

How do you handle it if the non-heroic player willingly signs on with the bad guys anyway (ie not infiltration)?

That's an interesting idea and may be able to use it with slight modifications.

A company involved in arms manufacturing knows about the existence of the PCs and also learned of the process that gave them their powers. As only people with a rare genetic condition can be transformed and the company hasn't found any yet (two prospects were freed by the PCs) they will try to convince the PCs to work with them, offering lots of money. If they agree the company will sooner or later betray their trust and try to brainwash them into supersoldiers.

I don't expect the police officer or the fire fighter to agree but maybe I can tempt the electric guy. He wants to use his powers to his financial benefit anyway.

Then the other PCs get to beat him down. And I think the guy probably metagames enough to know that's what will happen' date=' so he won't do it. Although if the GM is up to it, it could turn out pretty dang epic.[/quote']

You're right, the player will probably not do anything that could get his character kicked out of the group.

or the player could help the GM do the NPC voices then he could be part of the game

He has no intentions to leave the game. And he's definitely not good at portraying different personalities let alone funny voices. :)