Kryptonian limitations

Fryguy

I have a an old character named Vanguard. He is a Kryptonian I built back in the 3ed days and he has 291 exp. The thing is...I only have the standard green kryptonite limitation on his powers (-1/4). I also have susceptibilities and vulnerabilities to the other types of kryptonite but I wondered if anyone had any suggestions on other limitations an alien of this type might have? Be gentle please...I am new here.

Re: Kryptonian limitations

Red Sun limitation on powers. Even if the campaign doesn't involve space travel, a Lex Luthor type can flood an area with "Red Sun radiation," rendering your character powerless.

Magic. This has come and gone over the years, it has always annoyed me that Captain Marvel has never been able to defeat Kal El by saying The Word then using the Speed of Mercury to streak away so it is Superman, not the captain, that gets hit by the magic lightning (a tactic he has successfully used against Black Adam).

More if I think of them.

Red Sun limitation on powers. Even if the campaign doesn't involve space travel, a Lex Luthor type can flood an area with "Red Sun radiation," rendering your character powerless.

Magic. This has come and gone over the years, it has always annoyed me that Captain Marvel has never been able to defeat Kal El by saying The Word then using the Speed of Mercury to streak away so it is Superman, not the captain, that gets hit by the magic lightning (a tactic he has successfully used against Black Adam).

More if I think of them.

I think he used that in the Kindgom Come graphic novels

I have a an old character named Vanguard. He is a Kryptonian I built back in the 3ed days and he has 291 exp. The thing is...I only have the standard green kryptonite limitation on his powers (-1/4). I also have susceptibilities and vulnerabilities to the other types of kryptonite but I wondered if anyone had any suggestions on other limitations an alien of this type might have? Be gentle please...I am new here.

His defense (but not any of the other powers) could be limited by having it not work against magic attacks. Probably a 1/2 limitation since magic is fairly common. (His attacks DO work against magic defenses), Red Sun radiation is another 1/4 limitation.

That's all that really comes to mind. His other trick weaknesses are better represented as Disadvantages.

I agree that his defenses wouldn't work against magical/supernatural foes (ala Action Comics Annual #1 where he and Batman battled a vampire), but he should have a Susceptibility to Kryptonite in general, with each color obviously affecting him differently ... Green = Damage/END Drain, Red = Transform, Gold = No Powers, etc.

If you have Champion Powers there's a power in the Solar Powers section It has a name like Solar Power Battery(or some such thing) the optional version based on Aid would work for some versions of Kryptonian write-ups.

Based on Aid? Could you explain that a little more please?

I think a long time period Susceptibility to lack of yellow sunlight that manifests as a Drain on all his powers would work better (at least for the modern version, who doesn't go instantly powerless under a red sun).

Kryptonians should also probably take a Physical Complication that restricts the strength they can use against magical Entangles to what would be normal for a human being of their build.

His defense (but not any of the other powers) could be limited by having it not work against magic attacks. Probably a 1/2 limitation since magic is fairly common. (His attacks DO work against magic defenses), Red Sun radiation is another 1/4 limitation.

That's all that really comes to mind. His other trick weaknesses are better represented as Disadvantages.

Kryptonians should also probably take a Physical Complication that restricts the strength they can use against magical Entangles to what would be normal for a human being of their build.

I'd take it as a Vulnerability to Magic, BODY, STUN, and Effect (that would make the magic transformations and entangles stronger), but he would still be able to use full power against magical defenses. On the other hand, a Legion opponent once took refuge in a Wizard's tower that even Superboy couldn't break into.