Gravity power

Tech

I've had this idea for a gravity power for many years and until now, I've only toyed around with using it for a villain. I use 5th edition.

The power is a gravity power: whatever surface the villain is standing on is considered (for him) to be 'ground level'. If he is standing on a wall (or even a ceiling) 40 feet up, looking down to the heroes on the pavement, to him (at least) the wall/ceiling feels like the ground in terms of running, jumping, acrobatics, rolling to the side, etc. I thought of clinging but it doesn't work - if he leaps off his current surface, normal gravity would pull him down to the pavement. The same problem applies to the way superspeed is bought (flight - only touching surface). I suspect it would have to be a gravity field about 30-60 feet (5-10") radius from him. If another hero were to engage him in hand-to-hand combat, the hero standing on the wall (or ceiling, etc) would also be able to fight normally - an interesting experience for the hero indeed.

However, the gravity field doesn't change rapidly: if he were to knocked back from an attack farther than his gravity field (say 11"), normal gravity kicks in.

So, help a GM out here. :doi:

Re: Gravity power

If this only affects the character with the power' date=' then buy it as Flight, Only to simulate gravity field (-¼). Very similar to Only on a Surface, but it lets you jump and such without restriction, although doesn't let you walk on water.[/quote']

You'll need the adder that makes vertical movement the same as horizontal, too, but I think this is the way to go.

What happens at the points of intersection? In other words, if he as established his own gravity field on wall near the actual how does that work? Do people walking towards his wall suddenly fall face first into it when they get too close? Does the gravity just "naturally" taper so people approaching the wall instinctively move from walking on the ground to walking up the wall? Just wondering whether or not this power is an attack.

Here's a better question

What if the wall can't support his weight? Does it fall sideways or down? When the wall crumbles and his body starts to rotate which way does he fall?

I don't think this helps define the power. As GM, I'm not going to worry about this issue since I don't plan on it happening. Easily solved. :rolleyes:

I think Ockham's Spoon's suggestion is a good one, one that I was thinking of myself. As for Ranxerox's question regarding the special effects, I think will be a quick change in orientation - not instantaneous but quick. I might drop the area field effect but I doubt it.

I predict the common solution will be Change Environment. However' date=' EDM might be worth a second look as well.[/quote']

Well, Change Environment is the natural fit for this effect. Unfortunately it is a very expensive way to accomplish this effect. A Change Environment localized gravity field with combat effect of 10 STR TK and an 8 m radius would cost 75 points (and a whole bunch of END to maintain) and would only work on characters weighing a 100 kg or less.

A more cost effective way to do it would probably an area of effect TK with the limitation only to hold characters and objects up and push them against a surface with a STR equal to weight.

Well, Change Environment is the natural fit for this effect. Unfortunately it is a very expensive way to accomplish this effect. A Change Environment localized gravity field with combat effect of 10 STR TK and an 8 m radius would cost 75 points (and a whole bunch of END to maintain) and would only work on characters weighing a 100 kg or less.

A more cost effective way to do it would probably an area of effect TK with the limitation only to hold characters and objects up and push them against a surface with a STR equal to weight.

Interesting but it doesn't explain how the character would be able to move. Can TK be used on yourself as you describe? I think Ockham's Spoon's idea of flight works well.

Additionally, if you want a little realism, the effect would be extremely disorienting to anyone unaccustomed to it. I once spent an hour in a ship that had been beached about 20 degrees off of level. People inside would lean to the side in order to stand parallel to the walls... and fall over or stagger. The effect on the deck was less strong, but still disorienting. I think that a 90 degree shift would be easier to deal with, but from my observation, I acclimated quicker than most, and I took around a half hour to reach the point where I had a small rather than large tendency to unbalance. This effect could be done with change environment, personal immunity or if the GM allows a +1/4 or +0 advantage of reduced by acclimatization. I think that INT speeds the process, but it requires focussed attention for quite a while, which I think could be represented by a reduced effect based on INT that requires reduced SPD to obtain.