Well, hello there, HERO System! (New Guy)

Fred Lang

Re: Well, hello there, HERO System! (New Guy)

for now, it's all cons for WORK

I can definitely sympathize with that. ;) But if you can come out and hit DDC for a day, please do.

As you get more into Hero, you'll find that Steve (and other Hero writers) often break the rules, just because they want a campaign to have a certain feel.

Just to be clear, Strongbow, when we do this, we try to make it clear what we're doing and why. We don't tweak the rules for specific settings just for the fun of it and then ambush you with 'em. Well, not often anyway. ;)

Welcome aboard, Strongbow!

While I am not the most frequent poster on these boards, it's the coolest gamers' community I've ever seen. I've seen discussions and even disputes fly back and forth, but in no other community have I seen its members keep on such an even keel. You'll find plenty of quirk, and also plenty of civility.

I've found two pieces of errata in my readings so far, and they aren't reflected in the official 6E errata section of the website, if this is where I'm supposed to look for that kind of thing: http://tinyurl.com/4wyt6q6

For some reason, the HERO site moves along at an excruciatingly slow pace--slow (or nonexistent) page loads, etc.--so I can't find a suitable place to post my finds. If some friendly HERO could link me there, I'd be happy to contribute!

Argh. I'm getting incredibly long delays on responses I post here--everything I say has to be personally approved by a moderator is the message I get when I post.

I am very interested in HERO, so don't mistake these delays for disinterest. It's frustrating to have the flow of the conversation interrupted like this...Grr.

;-)

Argh. I'm getting incredibly long delays on responses I post here--everything I say has to be personally approved by a moderator is the message I get when I post.

I am very interested in HERO, so don't mistake these delays for disinterest. It's frustrating to have the flow of the conversation interrupted like this...Grr.

;-)

Don't sweat it, once you make a enough posts outside of the NGD forums(it's either 10 or 50) there won't be a delay anymore.

I've found two pieces of errata in my readings so far' date=' and they aren't reflected in the official 6E errata section of the website, if this is where I'm supposed to look for that kind of thing: [b']http://tinyurl.com/4wyt6q6[/b]

For some reason, the HERO site moves along at an excruciatingly slow pace--slow (or nonexistent) page loads, etc.--so I can't find a suitable place to post my finds. If some friendly HERO could link me there, I'd be happy to contribute!

Send an email to Steve Longvwith the errata, just click on his name in the forum to get the drop down to send an email.

G-a has it right; just PM me with any errata you find -- that's the easiest way to be sure they're brought to my attention -- and I'll make a note in my files. Every few months I take an "administrative day" and do things like update the errata files, FAQ, etc.

I'm 40 pages into my first contact with the HERO System (6E), and I like what I see. I'm a sucker for giant rule books, and HERO does not disappoint!

In that first 40 pages, I've already seen ~8 mentions of ways to avoid abusing the rules. I wonder if the HERO system, because of its open-endedness, is more prone to abuse than other RPGs?

GURPS 4E, which I'm more familiar with, is another "Universal" RPG rule set, but there aren't nearly the same number of warnings about unbalanced characters and games in the rules for that system--and GURPS is as close as I can get to an "apples to apples" comparison, given my limited understanding of HERO 6E.

I'm looking forward to exploring HERO 6E and delving through the forum here.

Now I just need to find a game in San Francisco...

If you're looking for ideas, sample characters, gadgets, and, well just about anything else, allow me to recommend my website: http://surbrook.devermore.net/index/

Now I just need to find a game in San Francisco...

Not sure of any games in the city (ie San Francisco), but there's a hotbed of hero players all around the Bay Area. I know of active groups in the South Bay, East Bay and I think some are still playing on the Peninsula (where the Game originated).

Oh almost forgot. A good place to meet players is DunDraCon which is next weekend. http://www.dundracon.com/ This con is the big Role playing convention of the year. There are always tons of Hero System games to play there.

• 3 weeks later...

Strongbow said:

>>Though it may not matter to many, I am also really impressed with the look and feel of the HERO 6E rule books themselves. I love the blue covers, the solidity of the binding and overall construction of the books, the well-laid interiors, the highlighted subsections, and the visual breathing room inside the pages that make it less daunting than it could be with so many rules and items to follow. Add to that the thick pages that are easy to grasp and turn, a readable typeface and friendly tone to the prose, and I'm sold. (Yes, I admit that I am particular about some things, and printing is one of them. HERO 6E gets an A+ from picky Strongbow on this point.)<<

just had to second that emotion... I too am particular about certain things and while "looks" certainly aren't everything, HERO production values are clearly a priority... to my mind that shows clear love and attention from everyone involved... Steve don't just make the game, he plays it! :D

and in my experience, while HERO certainly has more potential for rules abuse, I personally haven't experienced much of that with the people I've played with. I've seen more min-max-munkin'ing from the D&D crowd. Maybe it's just that there's more D&D players or maybe I just got lucky with the people I knew.