Project Pterosaur

lemming

Re: Project Pterosaur

As long as you drop whatever you think about this going on in RL, this web site has a pretty much written up, ready to go, pulp adventure.

Project Pterosaur

either a Pulp adventure or the next plot for a SyFy Saturday night Dinosaur movie. Religious party goes into African jungle to become Pterosaur food.

I started reading it thinking it was a spoof -- I vaguely noticed a Landover Baptist link on the side, and that's one of my favorite religious spoof sites.

Then I realized they were serious.

That site is just full of unintentional humor! The Project Pterosaur mission is just the tip of the iceberg! They also want to shut down Landover Baptist, since they see it as overall anti-Christian (when it's really more of a site that makes humor at the expense of fundamentalists).

Wow! That's ten pounds of crazy in a one-pound bag.

I started reading it thinking it was a spoof -- I vaguely noticed a Landover Baptist link on the side, and that's one of my favorite religious spoof sites.

Then I realized they were serious.

That site is just full of unintentional humor! The Project Pterosaur mission is just the tip of the iceberg! They also want to shut down Landover Baptist, since they see it as overall anti-Christian (when it's really more of a site that makes humor at the expense of fundamentalists).

Wow! That's ten pounds of crazy in a one-pound bag.

Crazy for putting their money where their mouth is? There is a long list of discoveries because people havenn't listened to the learned men of the time. Somethings off the top of my head; the lowland gorilla was considered a myth until 1920's when someone went looking for them. Can't think of the name of fish that was considered extinct until foud around an oil rig in the North sea i believe. Sodom and Gamorah were considered fictional cities until archeologists found several thousand cunniform tablets referring to them. They were business tablets iirc. Also the city Nivenah was considered fictional-until dug up. Did you know that birds were not considered to be poisonus until they found the hooded pitohui? And I just saw in the news about a new species of frog the flying vampire frog whose tadpoles have fangs! Now do I think that they are going to find a pterosaur? I think that it is highly unlikely, but if there is a chance isn't more scientific to rule out the possibility than to accept the dogma of it is a dinosaur therefore it is automatically extinct?

I'd like to post a simple challenge before we go off arguing how ridiculous this site is. I'll believe the site is real when someone posts the GPS coordinates and web page link to this Fellowship University or the Mt. Fellowship Church. Because I can't find it, and that's a pretty clear indication that it ain't real.

I think that it is highly unlikely' date=' but if there is a chance isn't more scientific to rule out the possibility than to accept the dogma of it is a dinosaur therefore it is automatically extinct?[/quote']

Sure, and about a hundred and fifty years of solid effort has just about ruled out the possibility. At this point, going out into the wilds of Africa to hunt for dinosaurs is about as funny for biologists as the CERN research team was trying to find evidence of the four elements would be for chemists. Or finding the edge of the earth for a astrophysicist.

The first rule of science is don't go out with an expectation of what your result will be; your job as a scientist is to discover the truth, not confirm your beliefs. That's the main issue I have with this (fictional) expedition. Had they gone out to explore a barely explored jungle to find new species I'd bee happy to let them (heck, if they gave a good pitch I might donate to it).

Crazy for putting their money where their mouth is?

No.

Crazy because even if they are sincere and not satire (a point I take no postion on) and even if they actually found a live dinosaur, it wouldnt' prove what they seem to think it would prove.

Granted, sinking money into it doesn't make them any less crazy.

Lucius Alexander

On an expedition to discover a backandforthtrian

Uh, guys? Queen Victoria called. She wants "Darkest Africa" back.

Seriously, if there were a dinosaur in Africa today, it would be eating road kill, holding up traffic, and being snapped by a cell right now.

Or more likely, shot and carved up for bush meat.