Spiderman's Web

dsatow

Re: Spiderman's Web

Just make the web a Barrier. Put a +0 Advantage on it "Does not inflict impact damage on objects crashing into it". It can still be broken if the object crashing into it does enough damage, but it is too springy to inflict damage itself. You can't use it to hurt a fast moving supervillain, but you can use it to save people from falling.

Consider we are trying to replicate comic book moves. Now if Spidey was just standing on the ground, he could catch MJ. Realistically her neck would be broken falling off a skyscraper and having her decent stopped over the space of a meter, but this is the comics and if you catch a falling person they are unharmed. So I don't see why you couldn't just define a Barrier to work the same way.

Just make the web a Barrier. Put a +0 Advantage on it "Does not inflict impact damage on objects crashing into it". It can still be broken if the object crashing into it does enough damage' date=' but it is too springy to inflict damage itself. You can't use it to hurt a fast moving supervillain, but you can use it to save people from falling.[/quote']

I agree with this.

Consider we are trying to replicate comic book moves. Now if Spidey was just standing on the ground, he could catch MJ. Realistically her neck would be broken falling off a skyscraper and having her decent stopped over the space of a meter, but this is the comics and if you catch a falling person they are unharmed. So I don't see why you couldn't just define a Barrier to work the same way.

That's how Gwen Stacy died....

N.B. If you were going to use Flight UAA, 1G is considered 5" or 10m every Segment, which amounts to 60" or 120m per Turn. Divide by your SPD (round up to make sure you get "enough"). A 5 SPD character could do it with 24m Flight, UAA, seasoned to taste. The way Steve puts it in his answer, the 10m/Phase would be enough to keep the target from accelerating during the "off" segments, but it might not be enough to keep the target from going splat, depending on how close to the ground he is. (Actually the 1" or 1m of Flight would be enough to keep him from falling faster, but it wouldn't do anything at all to reduce his velocity.)

N.B. the second. 1G is explicitly defined as 5 STR Telekinesis.

Teleport wasn't something I thought of and could work with the barrier. It would be a barrier with an area effect constant teleport to remove velocity.

Scarily, it gives me an idea for another issue I was toying with.

While I like the stretching idea, attacking the web to hurt spiderman indirectly just doesn't make the grade.

Maybe Barrier with Superleap, which allows Spidey to use it as a trampoline but that might be pretty costly.

In any case, thanks for all the ideas guys!

N.B. the second. 1G is explicitly defined as 5 STR Telekinesis.

Thats wierd, since that would only amount to a acellaration/deceleration of about 2m/segment. (Like would a STR 5 Telekinesis in no gravitation vacuum per phase). Perhaps the weight is somehow added to that?

Otherwise, light wind could would allow you to float when hitting you from the right angle.