Spiderman's Web

dsatow

So, from the 6th Edition questions to Steve, I bring you

How do you make Spiderman's web to catch himself and falling people?

Conditions

1) The web needs to catch anyone falling in that area but not do damage to them.

2) Spiderman himself must be able to catch himself.

3) The people caught must be able to walk out of the web.

Please read

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php/84590-Entangle-2-the-next-generation

for information up to till now.

Note putting a barrier up will cause falling people to move through the barrier and take damage.

Note using a constant TK to grab people will prevent people from moving off the web on their own since there in effect they are grabbed and since you can't use TK on yourself the effect violates condition 2.

OK, true believers, how would you do this without violating the 3 conditions above or the rules of the game?

Re: Spiderman's Web

Could do it with a sort of AOE radius Flight usable by others only to prevent falling damage and limeted to the dimension of the web at an Up To movement restriction as well. Barrier could still work and you could toss in a PD effect usuable by others in contact with the barrier, then Pile on the body and keep the defense low.....bears thought, I think it's a good problem to toss out to my rookie players and see what nightmare they cobble up, heh. There's even an option for Summon I suppose.

~Rex

hrmm flight?

How would the flight work with existing momentum? If Spidey and Mary Jane are falling off a skyscraper, Spidey shots his web to catch them on phase 2. At their falling rate, say they hit the net on Phase 3. On phase 2 they fall at a velocity of 5". At Phase 3 they fall at 10". If Spidey only has 5" of flight usable on others at range area of effect, do they they slow to 5" or do they instantaneously stop negating any and all penalties for falling velocity?

Further more, if the power only affects up to N people, what happens to the N+1 person?

Stretching. If an anchoring point is within range Spidey can use his webbing to perform just about all the skills and manuevers that he can do at arm's reach, including breaking his or someone else's fall. His catch nets are like a persistent limited Extra Limb working with his Stretching.

for just Spidey and MJ

Swingline to slow velocity 10m per 2m traveled(physics would have him move towards what ever wall he attached to and slam into it with 1 strand, if 2 are used he now has much better control of their desent

For those not with Spidey but falling

Swingline area radius usable on others(you may need to attack them)

only to go down(they could just sit in it and wait for the NYFD)

persistant (this way he can go off to rescue others as they can climb/shimmy down 1 of the threads

at range

I like the stretching idea and extra limb. He does seem to use his webs like stretching and this fits in with a lot of non-entangle things he does with it. The only problem is, if things damage the web, he takes damage.

I think Telekinesis is workable. AoE TK would affect the user, unless he has Personal Immunity. Since it only prevents falling, it doesn't hold people in place. It has a Physical Manifestation and some other limitations. And it also catches falling debris, another common web trick.

On the other hand, why shouldn't the person stopped take some damage? Spidey killed Gwen Stacy stopping her fall too rapidly with a web. Maybe his Barrier should provide some extra defenses and some Damage Reduction to those caught.

I'm gonna go with the Flight UAA (or whatever its called in 6e) AOE and Uncontrolled*, Only to prevent falling damage.

(I believe this trumps the use of leaping or swinging as those are priced and function effectively as limited flight anyway. There is also a symetry with the rule for adding Usable as another form of movement to the most expensive movement power)

Uncontrolled is what allows the contruct to save a falling Spidey as well as anyone else (assuming he doesn't have to time to just save himself with a more traditional 'swinging' escape).

I like the stretching idea and extra limb. He does seem to use his webs like stretching and this fits in with a lot of non-entangle things he does with it. The only problem is' date=' if things damage the web, he takes damage.[/quote']

It's a Focus, not him. And thanks, glad I could help.

I think the idea is to model how Spidey can use his webbing to instantly create a 'safety-net' like those used by circus trapeze performers. His ability to create such structures is very similar in many ways to a Green Lantern's ability to create green-energy structures. The biggest difference being that the GL creations don't need to be anchored to anything and can be instantly dismissed by the GL who created them. Spidey's webs are far more fire-and-forget without any continuing control-link.

If it was a focus' date=' he'd stop being able to do it once the web takes damage - it's more a physical manifestation (but as an advantage - how would you cost such an advantage?).[/quote']

I see where you are coming from. There probably is a better way of describing the webbing itself, and Physical Manifestation is it. The webshooters themselves are the focus.

And as far as Damage Shields traveling back along the line, see Electro. :eg:

If you want to do this with breakfall and barrier, breakfall may be 18+ (to make the extraordinary roll possible):

"If the character succeeds with his Breakfall roll by half (after applying the height modifier), he takes no damage at all; if he makes an Extraordinary Skill Roll, he can survive (albeit

barely) a fall from just about any height regardless of the height modifier.

Furthermore:

"Landing on a soft surface (such as water, a cushion or mat, or a featherbed) would make the roll easier(+1 to +3)".

That gets me another idea: Persistant AOE Change environment, with enough "telekinesis STR" to catch/carry someone? Falling character makes move-through against telekinesis-strenght (or somehow falling speed is added to his "weight", perhaps just stepping up on the str/weight scale?). If the net is strong enough, it can catch him and can hold him. Add No Endurance, Physical Manifestation/Uncontrolled and things like that. Perhaps "Side effect: Very difficult environment" (ocv/dcv mali).

If the net fails, at least his speed may be lowered.

That's another good question, how do you break something in the first place (say, a car)?

One of our informal house rules is to try to use systems that already exist when coming up with unusual power builds so they are consistent in play. Their are rules for catching a falling character on 6e2 pg. 140. I might incorporate these rules by building the power as STR, Only to Catch a Falling Character, Area of Effect, Costs END Only to Activate, Uncontrolled, Physical Manifestation.

Falling is reduced 1d6 for every 5 STR. Damage not absorbed is taken by the faller and the catcher (the web). If the damage overcomes the physical manifestation BODY, the web breaks and cannot catch anyone else unless the power is re-used.

That's another good question' date=' how do you break something in the first place (say, a car)?[/quote']

Found it. 6E2, Page 26.

First you need to Grab (but we can ignore that for this effect, or asume DCV to be 0 for uncontrolled fall). The Moving object may make STR+Velocity Check to break free. (I would say, he does/tries that automatically the next segment, since gravitiy acts every segment).

"For every 5 points of STR a character has (including STR added from movement), he may subtract 2m of movement per Phase"

Since an AOE Change Environment stops affecting you when you pass trough the area, you may be slowed but not stoped (but that's what you can use multiple nets for).

Of course this could also be used to stop someone who is flying/swinging/leaping/running, but then some sort of grab-attack is nessesary (vs. what ever he has normally).

Their are rules for catching a falling character on 6e2 pg. 140.

That sound eqaully good, escpecially since there is a falling-speed table on the following page.

Of course you would need something around 150 STR to stop a max speed fall in one phase.

Edit: The basic rule for velocity, str and damage seem to be "2m speedchange equals 5 STR equals 1D6". Gravity pulls with about 25 STR/Segment (or phase, asumg it acts in every phase)

Wind resistence is a counter-force equall to 5 STR at a speed of 60m/segement.

Hitting the ground is then just the abrupt aplication of a "breaking" force, equall to 150 STR.