Obviousness of Telekinesis

Steffen

I would like to build a power similar to the Telekinesis of Jedis which cannot be heard nor seen except for the hand gestures.

As an Attack/Standard power Telekinesis is obvious to two sense groups, probably Sight and Hearing.

I think the Jedi Telekinesis is invisible to the Hearing Group (+ 1/2) and because of the gestures inobvious to the Sight Group (+1/4). Is this correct?

Now I change the concept a little and define one of the sense groups as Radio instead of Hearing. I visualize it influencing electric/electronic devices so acoustic noises are heard on nearby phones or radios and electronic displays flicker etc. Is this obvious or inobvious?

Thank you for your comments. :)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Obviousness of Telekinesis

Some of the stronger uses of the Force, Like for Force Jump or Force Shove (High STR Telekinesis, only to shove) could easily be put into the same Mutlipower (together with your KA Lightsaber, deflection). Thier short time precognition could be simulated with a Overall Skill level or CSL's, OCV/DCV Bonus also put in the MP.

Most of thier powers should cost at least half endurance to activate and maintain, and only rare should be Persistent/Uncontrolled.

The character is just a telekinetic, not a jedi. The player would like to have a fully invisible Telekinesis but as it's quite expensive so I'm trying to figure out a build that does not include any light or sound effects.

I'd say the electronic interference is inobvious' date=' unless TK causing such interference is common enough knowledge that TK is the first thing people associate such interference with when they encounter it.[/quote']

Thanks, I also tend toward inobvious.

In my campaign superpowers are unheard of so nobody will at first associate TK with electronic interference.

Actually I think, that is what normal Telekinesis does already. That TK is Pervievable while in Use, may simply mean that you see and hear the floating object normaly and that anybody can see that the user is concentarting. The fact that Telekinesis is inherently indirect can actually mean that it has no percievable connection("path" for indirect) betwenn user and target.

It sounds like you have pretty good handle on how it should work. I haven't tried to update a Jedi-like TK into 6e rules yet but here is link to a 5e 350 point Jedi build you might want to take a look at.

Thank you.

That's interesting, you built it fully invisible with "gestures" as a limitation.

That TK is Pervievable while in Use' date=' may simply mean that you see and hear the floating object normaly and that anybody can see that the user is concentarting.[/quote']

But this would mean that a TK punch is almost invisible (except for the effect on it's target and the concentrating user) while a Force Blast with the same effect on the target is clearly visible. In my opinion this can't be correct as both are Attack Powers and the rules clearly state that you need to buy IPE to conceal a Blast (6E1 338).

Is it really that odd that a power untraceable to the character would be expensive? He can just stand around like an innocent bystander while opponents take damage from thin air - that sounds like something which should be expensive.

No, it's not odd, it's absolutely fair. The problem is that IPE increases the Active Points so that the power is not very useful besides being completely invisible.

I'm looking for a way to keep the special effect invisible to sight and hearing while not being completely invisible in game terms.

No, it's not odd, it's absolutely fair. The problem is that IPE increases the Active Points so that the power is not very useful besides being completely invisible.

I'm looking for a way to keep the special effect invisible to sight and hearing while not being completely invisible in game terms.

Don't forget that an Invisible Attack is very difficult to Block/Deflect/Reflect.

You want a power that is invisible, without paying for it? Not within the rules.

The only way to make it invisible to Sight/Heraing for free, would be to make it visible to equally common senses, thus defeating the point.

You want a power that is invisible, without paying for it? Not within the rules.

The only way to make it invisible to Sight/Heraing for free, would be to make it visible to equally common senses, thus defeating the point.

Please read my initial post.

Actually I think' date=' that is what normal Telekinesis does already. That TK is Pervievable while in Use, may simply mean that you see and hear the floating object normaly and that anybody can see that the user is concentarting. The fact that Telekinesis is inherently indirect can actually mean that it has no percievable connection("path" for indirect) betwenn user and target.[/quote']

Indirect has nothing to do with perception of the power.

The visual example of unadvantaged Telekinesis is a Green Lantern's green-energy contruct that always has a link back to the ring.

Invisible Telekinesis needs that advantage unless the character is for a psychic powers setting where everyone gets IPE on TK for free.

I did. Not within the rules, without buying IPE.

The entire point of obvious is that normal people can perceive the use of the power. If you don't want that, buy IPE. If that's to expensive, no can do.

The initial question was not if IPE was necessary (it is) but what the value of the advantage for the given examples is.

The initial question was not if IPE was necessary (it is) but what the value of the advantage for the given examples is.

I'd think Invisible to Sight and Hearing would cover it, with Mental being the third sense group. I suppose one could theoretically just do Invisible to Sight with Touch and Mental being the other two groups, but that might be a little sketchy.

As an unrelated note, I think the only reason Jedi used gestures was so the audience could get an idea of what was going on; helpful, but not necessary.

The increase to active points means it is more expensive. AP limits tend to shackle the players, preventing many interesting abilities, so perhaps the answer is not to strictly limit AP's. I'm pretty sure Steve has stated that AP caps are not part of the rules, and he will not design the rules around them. I know he mentioned that in at least one SETAC discussion.

A power which is difficult to detect, but not completely invisible, will logically be more expensive than one which is easy to detect and less expensive than one which is completely invisible. I would hold that being visible to the Radio and Mental sense groups only should be more expensive, higher AP and higher RP, than being visible to normal sight and hearing.