Blind Immortal Sohei

TheNaga

Re: Blind Immortal Sohei

I want him to have abilities that help him get around his blindness. I would like him to be more then just a Daredevil copy. What Hand-to-Hand Skills should he have? Sohei are Japanese Warrior Monks. Also how do I give him a Shikomi-Zue (cane sword)?

10 points gets you Zatoichi. Basically targeting for normal hearing. You can add in Fully Discriminatory/Analyze on top of that if you want to get fancier (Another 20 if you want the entire sense group)....

Sword Cane is just a weapon right off the weapon list.

~Rex

Also how do I give him a Shikomi-Zue (cane sword)?

Inobvious, accessible Focus. Is explicitly useable for "hidden weapons".

Being blind is done by selling back your "Normal Sight":

-35 Blindness (this is not a Complication, you really just get the points for selling it back; 6E1 209).

Now you of course will need a targetting detect, preferibly a Ranged one. Bulding daredevil I would use a detect that is part of the hearing group. It is the one with the second best collection of free adders (worth around 25; so this will be relatively cheap). Of course it is also the second most likely group to be flashed, targeted with inivisibily or darkness fields (directly after sight).

The third best thing would be touch based - say a "tremor sense". It's the only Sense group still worth 10 Points. (Taste and Smell rate at 5 each).

Radio or Mental Group are also possible and offer at least a little bit for free, but Radio is more likely to be flashed (there are simply more Radio based long range communications than for any other Sense group).

Of course you can make a Independent Sense (a detect that does not belong to any sense group). It is near impossible to flash, or otherwise affect with Sense-Affecting Powers (you have to build them for that single sense). But it is really expensive (perhaps more than your sight is worth).

Take Spartial Awareness (6E1 211) and either define it as belonging to touch/hearing, thus getting some adders refundend (all those the group already offers for free). If you want I can give you exampels for different Alternate Targetting senses based on the Spartial Awareness.

I would like something or things that make him original. Right now I know he has radar sense, Heightened Sense of Hearing, Heightened Sense of Smell, and Heightened Sense of Touch. Would Radar Sense be totally fouled in the rain, snow, dust, sandstorms and by similar obscuring conditions? Also what would be the best way do his blindness as a Physical Complication?

Then just keep it simple if you want to be original. Dump the Radar Sense (you don't need it), buy Targeting for the Hearing Group, toss in Fully Discriminatory and Analyze for said group if you want to get really fancy.

~Rex

Heightened Sense of Hearing' date=' [/size']Heightened Sense of Smell, and Heightened Sense of Touch. Also what would be the best way do his blindness as a Physical Complication?

A broad range of Sense that are better. Perhaps just buying Skill Levels for Perception is the best way, as it should benefit any Sense he still has, but I am not certain if that is even possible.

Like I said above: Blindess is not a Complication. You just seell your sight back, giving you 35 extra character points you can spend however you like. This does not counts for characteristics maxima.

Why would I not need the Radar Sense? I was want to add somethings to him that Daredevil does not have.

Could he learn how to use his Inner Eye allow him to gain the super ability Radar Sense? Would the character since learnning how to use its third eye have the ability to see the invisible as well as Astral Beings, spirits, and ghost. This ability also reveals to the character the supernatural aura of being who are supernatural even if they disguise to appear human?

How would someone gain these abilities?

Why would I not need the Radar Sense? I was want to add somethings to him that Daredevil does not have.

Could he learn how to use his Inner Eye allow him to gain the super ability Radar Sense? Would the character since learnning how to use its third eye have the ability to see the invisible as well as Astral Beings, spirits, and ghost. This ability also reveals to the character the supernatural aura of being who are supernatural even if they disguise to appear human?

How would someone gain this abilities?

Take a look at the "Simulated Sense" Rule. This will answer thsoe questions. The supernatural Aura might be a seperate thing, maybe a simple 3 Point detect.

Here's the history of Daredevils Radar Sense for you. Pretty much covers the gambit of the character through multitudes of writers that fiddled with it. Essentially, Daredevil IS the comic character most known for Radar Sense though in the HERO system, it's actually Radar (radio detection and ranging), where as in the History of Daredevil, he's had everything from That, to what you would use Spatial Awareness for in HERO, to just a giant conglomeration of Discriminatory and targeting other sense's, to combinations of all of the above.

http://www.theothermurdockpapers.com/2009/12/a-history-of-the-radar-sense-6/

~Rex

When you want to use it as placeholder for sight, it will need to be/have:

- at least a 5 Point detect as basis. 10 point might be better

- Discriminatory Sense Modifier - so you can differntiate one person from another; normal sense groups get a free, weaker one (for the difference between free and full you need to look into the APG)

- Range Adder - without it, you can only detect things you actually touch (you can "fell" magic in an item or only "see" it when you touch it). It gives you a 120° field of perception and the ability to work on range

- Sense Adder - wihtout it, using your sense costs a half phase action - every phase. Not a good idea for your main Sense, so don't forget it

- Targetting - otherwise it will help you as much in battle as using normal hearing or smell

- (optional) Increased Arc of perception - Range only gets you a 120° field of perception. With that adder it becomes 240° or 360°.

- (optional) Penetrative - normally senses are easily blocked by some common material. With this, this problem is less severe (but there must still be some way to block it). X-Ray vision is build with that adder.

- (optional) Telescopic - neutralises Range modifiers, but only for percieving things. Not for hitting them with Ranged attacks (that are PSL's).

- (optional)Microscopic - neutralises Size Modifiers.

Other consideration:

Is it an active or passive sense?

Passive Sense rely on something making a "signal" that is percieveable. All normal human senses are passive. Radio Peception (and only perception, not transmission) is too.

Active alows detecting things regardless of them making any "noise" themself. However the using the sense can be detected by similar sense. Examples: Radar, Sonar, Scanners. Radio Transmission is also "visible" to other than their intended recepient. Will not be very fitting if not using the "Simulated Sense Rule" (how many people can really detect theta-ray signals?).

The "Simulated Sense Rule" (6E1 207) has two effects:

1. The sense is affected by any sense affecting power targetting that sense group. "Detect Beings Invisibile to sight, uses Sight" is usually a bad idea.

2. The get a lot of the above adders for Free, juts for beign part of the Sense group.

So it are two questions: How do you think can this sense been disabeled/relies on your normal senses? How much are you willing to pay for that sense?

What powers and abilities should I give a blind immortal Sohei pc I am working on right now?

Well, I keep telling you that you need to discuss these things with whoever is running your game. But if you keep asking here, I'm sure we'll keep giving you opinions.

I would like something or things that make him original. Right now I know he has radar sense,

How do you mean radar sense? He generates radio waves and then detects them when they reflect back off of objects? Why would a monk have built in radar?

[ Would Radar Sense be totally fouled in the rain, snow, dust, sandstorms and by similar obscuring conditions?

I was going to answer this, but I better wait until I know what you mean by Radar Sense.

Also what would be the best way do his blindness as a Physical Complication?

Technically, under the Current Dispensation, you don't do blindness as Physical Complication; you "sell back" the sense of Sight, which I suppose you'd record on the character sheet as a "negative Power" just like you could sell back your normal Running.

A broad range of Sense that are better. Perhaps just buying Skill Levels for Perception is the best way, as it should benefit any Sense he still has, but I am not certain if that is even possible.

3 pts for a plus 1 with all Sense Groups. For 4 pts you could have the bonus to all Perception and to Concealment when trying to find something hidden.

Like I said above: Blindess is not a Complication. You just seell your sight back, giving you 35 extra character points you can spend however you like.

Christopher is trying to say that since this is not technically a "Complication" it doesn't count against the total points you can get for Complications.

Could he learn how to use his Inner Eye allow him to gain the super ability Radar Sense?

It sounds like what you want is a Sense that's part of the Mental Sense Group.

Would the character since learnning how to use its third eye have the ability to see the invisible as well as Astral Beings, spirits, and ghost. This ability also reveals to the character the supernatural aura of being who are supernatural even if they disguise to appear human?

How would someone gain these abilities?

Are you asking how to build it in game mechanics, or how to account for it in the character narrative?

Mechanically, here's a package I'd use:

Blind Monk

I cannot condemn you for judging by superficial appearances. You do not have the advantage of not seeing them.: Blind (Sell back Sight) (-35 Active Points) Real Cost: -35

Two Eyes Blind, Third Eye Sharp: Spatial Awareness (Mental Group), Discriminatory (Detect Class of Minds; See Aura), Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees), Perceive into a related group of dimensions (Astral, Ethereal, Mind Zone, Near Past and Future), Rapid: x10 Real Cost: 55

Even a blind man can see it's a trap. : Danger Sense (immediate vicinity, any danger, Function as a Sense) Real Cost: 32

You cannot sneak up on my blind side. : Defense Maneuver I-IV Real Cost: 10

Read Aura: Analyze: Visions of the Third Eye Real Cost: 3

(This Skill is for interpreting auras and other information from the Third Eye sense: it can mean the difference between "I sense something strange about this pool" and "This pool is the home of a kappa" or between "I hear our visitor speak with a human voice, but that is no human presence I feel" and "Our visitor is a Kitsune.")

It was only hidden from those who search with their eyes: Concealment Real Cost: 3

+2 with all Perception, Read Aura, and Concealment (only to find things, not to hide them) Real Cost: 8

Lucius Alexander

My palindromedary sense is tingling

That's a nice build Lucius. Mind if I swipe it to use in my game this sunday? Got a bad guy that wouldn't mind having that on his sheet. :D

~Rex

I like to think people find uses for the things I post.

Lucius Alexander

Just put a little note on the sheet "Blind Monk Package Copyright Palindromedary Enterprises." Or not. It's not like I'll see it if you don't. Double check the value of selling back Sight, I might have erred on that.

Some decent suggestions by Christopher and lots of other additions however

Inobvious' date=' accessible Focus. Is explicitly useable for "hidden weapons".[/quote']

Inobvious is only usable when the focus is not obvious when it is in use. A sword cane is obvious when it is being used. I would provide a sword cane with OAF.

I do not think that the one off surprise is worth any points, or if it was, then I think it would be a one point perk kind of thing - surprise weapon.

Doc

Inobvious is only usable when the focus is not obvious when it is in use. A sword cane is obvious when it is being used.

Like is a Cane Gun or Glove-Blaster, wich are explicit examples of Inobvious Foci.

Of course we could go and declare it "Inobvious when not in use, Accesible Focus" for -3/4. Simply taking the middle ground.

I doubt using a perk is the right way to make the hidden part: After all it affects how easily the focus is detected as one and thus how easily he is deprived of using it.

Like is a Cane Gun or Glove-Blaster, wich are explicit examples of Inobvious Foci.

Of course we could go and declare it "Inobvious when not in use, Accesible Focus" for -3/4. Simply taking the middle ground.

I doubt using a perk is the right way to make the hidden part: After all it affects how easily the focus is detected as one and thus how easily he is deprived of using it.

Sorry for the delay - wanted to go and read the text. IMO, the examples of cane sword and glove blaster are bad examples.

If I was fighting someone with a focus then I would much rather that their powers came from a cane sword or glove blaster than a magic ring that did not glow or make any other sign that it was the source of the power. With the former I can make attempts to restrain or take away, it is obvious (note the use of the word) what is causing the damage. In the example of the ring, it is inobvious what I need to remove to remove the power.

As such, the second example should be worth less as a focus than the first two.

Doc

That is why I simple choose the middle ground.

Of couse we could go the really complex way and build a shape shift (sight, hearing, touch, smell, taste) for the sword, with IIF (-1/4)* and Only for Cane Sword (-2) and only when not using target (-1/2). :)

*The Obviousness of the Focus overrides the Obviousness of the Power. A inobvious Power (like shape shift) from an obvious Focus would be counter productive...

• 2 months later...

The character is turned in the following after found a giant brilliant red ruby-like gem while exploring a cave system.

He is a short hairless human with four arms who stands a little more then five feet tall. His outer skin forms a dense crust similar to rocky. The skeleton is robust. He has a powerful muscular build with a barrel-shaped chest. His thick long skull slopes low over his brain. The back of the skull has a bulge. The bat-like ears are as large as the hands found on the lower arms. The ears do not form a closed ring, but the edges are separated from each other at the base of each ear. His double-arched brow is large and ridged. His eyes are blank white orbs. Beneath his eyes, his face juts forward, making his cheekbones angle to the sides. His powerful jaws have forty-four teeth of a carnivore. The upper arms are oversize, thickly muscled, with large hands that have thick fingered claws tipped with iron-hard ridges. The lower arms are of normal size and appearance. The large feet are wide and flat.

The limited manipulaton limitation would be limitation to use if the upper arms are only use for lifting and carrying fighting and digging? The lower arms are used for the fine motor skills and other thing th upper arms can no do. tHow does this sound for him? The way he looks now is so he can live better underground Would you say he would have limited use in suface? I would like use in surface based compains.

How do I make his upper arms strength show when he does damage with the claws on his upper arms?

Could suggest some other complications he might have?

Upper Arm Strength: +10 STR (10 Active Points); Only usable with the upper arms (-1/4)

• 1 month later...