Gremlin

TheNaga

Re: Gremlin

I am missing the being as immune to electricity and lightning as possible and athe ability to attack with his bite and claws. The following is part of his description which clearly shows he should have the ability to attack with his claws and his bite.

I got11 points back by lower his DEX to 20.

Razor-sharp curved, blade-like teeth line his long deep powerful jaws. Fifty percent of his upper teeth are visible even when his mouth is closed. The wide monstrous looking hands are 50% larger than normal. A sharp claw comes out of each of his hand’’s fingers and thumb.

The thing with Heroes Unlimited was I get his ability to attack with his claws and his bite through mutations.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this new for 6th Edition? I was under the impression that Multipowers were drained as one abilty of the Adjustment power would reaonsably effect the entire thing be default.

I don't believe that has ever been the rule. I don't have the books in front of me though.

I am missing the being as immune to electricity and lightning as possible and athe ability to attack with his bite and claws. The following is part of his description which clearly shows he should have the ability to attack with his claws and his bite.

Razor-sharp curved, blade-like teeth line his long deep powerful jaws. Fifty percent of his upper teeth are visible even when his mouth is closed. The wide monstrous looking hands are 50% larger than normal. A sharp claw comes out of each of his hand’’s fingers and thumb.

The thing with Heroes Unlimited was I get his ability to attack with his claws and his bite through mutations.

In Hero, you pay for what you get. If I want multiple different attacks, all usable simultaneously, they will cost more than a single attack, or multiple attacks only one of which can be used at a time. Moving the Blast and Machine Control to the Multipower would free up considerable points (moving just one would be significant). Putting the Blast and Machine Control in the Multipower would allow you to boost them to 12 DC and save 68 points.

10 extra points of BOD for a tiny little guy seems like overkill to me.

You are spending a lot of points on flavour powers - electricity resistance (27), machine control and destruction (40 + 60 + 3 + 5, which could be shaved a lot with better use of the Multipower) and extreme skills. Your base INT roll gives you a 13-. You are spending what, 30+ points, to bump a few flavour skills to extreme levels. That's about 1/3 of your available character points.

I once again refer you to Damage Negation in respect of resistance to electricity. Hero operates on terms of resistance, not immunity. However, 30 points spent on Damage Negation would pull 6 DC off every electrical attack striking you. With typical Super level defenses (not the very minor defenses you have chosen), that likely would be immunity to most electrical attacks.

I'm going to ask again, maybe a bit louder since you don't seem to be hearing the question: HAVE YOU DISCUSSED THE CHARACTER WITH YOUR GM AND/OR OTHER PLAYERS IN YOUR GAME? They would have some ideas on how to make this more consistent with the power level and types of builds they use.

Is this new for 6th Edition? I was under the impression that Multipowers were drained as one abilty of the Adjustment power would reaonsably effect the entire thing be default.
Multipowers didn't work like that in 5E either, though I think Elemental Controls might have. I never used them much so I'm not sure...

I suspect you will find a 1d6 KA remarkably ineffective in a Supers game. Typically, characters either put a lot of variety of attacks in a Multipower, so they can use one at a time, or they focus on one or two significant attacks.

I will say it again, since you don't seem to respond Have you discussed the build with the fellow who loaned you the book and/or the GM to assess fit with the specific game?

You can spend your points as you see fit. I'm telling you, however, that a 1d6 HKA for a low STR character will be ineffectual in a typical Supers game. Again TALK TO YOUR GM and/or OTHER PLAYERS IN THE GAME THIS CHARACTER WILL BE PLAYED as they will know its standards. I don't know how much clearer I can make that. You seem to just ignore it, so I suspect you will either have your character rejected with a series of similar "he is deficient in these area for this game" comments much more precise than we can give, or accepted and will be ineffectual, frustrating you in game. But you seem determined not to take the advice offered here, and completely unwilling to communicate with your GM and other players familiar with the standards of this specific Hero game, so I don't know what more we posters can do.

I suspect the Gargoyle you refer to is the Bestiary writeup. Lots of Bestiary creatures have a 1 STR and a 1 pip HKA. They are not combat effective either. These creatures have unlimited points to match their conceptual structure, so they are often not efficient or effective builds. Animals especially, but other creatures get flavour powers as well.

The bestiary is an especially poor source of character examples for a typical Supers game in that most of its contents are much more relevant to Heroic level characters. Pulp, Fantasy and even Modern Adventure characters might fight a wolf pack. Supers will not. So the wolf is designed as a credible threat to characters in those genres, not the Supers genre. Similarly, the Fantasy creatures are designed for Fantasy game norms. That Gargoyle is a reasonable one on one threat for opponents built on 150 points, averaging attacks in the range of 6 damage classes and resistant defenses of about 5, with maybe 10 total defenses. With your 15 STR adding 1d6, that 2d6 HKA averaging 7 BOD and 14 STUN would slip 2 BOD and 4 STUN damage past such a character on a typical attack, which is what the Gargoyle can likely expect as well. A credible threat, especially with hit locations, but probably inferior to a typical 150 point character.

In a Supers game where defenses start at about 20-, 10 resistant, that same attack will accomplish pretty much nothing. Supers tend towards much higher defenses and damage classes. A Superteam is not threatened by a wolf pack, or a gargoyle. They will fly through a host of dozens of gargoyles dispatched by the Evil Lich Overlord with nary a scratch, showing how powerful they are, with their biggest challenge being preventing the gargoyles from harming normal people (and not killing the gargoyles in the process).

Coming back to the norms of THIS GAME issue, I can take a standard 3rd level D&D character and port him into pretty much any standard D&D game, and he'll probably fit. In Hero, the games are much more custom designed. Imagine a 3rd level character whose stats are all 18+, who has a couple of third party racial templates applied and who has +5 Everything, dumped into a standard D&D game. Or imagine a typical L3 character dumped into a game where these overpowered characters are the norm. In Hero, there is no similar baseline to the "standard D&D character". You need to know details of the game you are entering, not some imagined standard you set from looking at random character builds absent an context. My comments, and some others, assume a "standard Supers/Champions Universe" power level, since that's very common, but there's no guarantee that's the power level your game runs at. It seems reasonably likely since the 400/75 points is the usual standard for such games, but most groups have tweaked some of the norms to better match their playstyle.

[4 part harmony]Hero is customized.

Talk to your Game Master.

Talk to other players.

Tailor your character.[/4 part harmony]

Hugh, you keep harping on talking to the GM about power levels. That's all well and good, but not all GMs give specifics that you are looking/asking for. Last year I build a Pulp Hero character with very little info. I'm not saying that this is the best method by far, but it does happen. (my character did fairly well too!)

How do I give a character an immune to electricity' date=' energy attacks, radiation, stun, laser, and ion weapons?[/size']

Hmm. Handwave it.

Make sure that you include a psychological complication on the character sheet though: "Delusional".

Alternatively...Can I point out (if no one has already) that electricity, radiation, laser and ion are all forms of energy attack anyway, so decent energy defences will largely suffice, and stun can be ignored with automaton powers. In fact you could (with GM permission) make an 'Energy Automaton'. Buy the 'Takes No Stun' automaton power with a limitation 'only in respect of energy attacks'. That way the character is immune to stun from energy attacks or any sort and can only take Body. Buy up your resistant ED (at 3x cost as this bit is an automaton) and you can probably get to the point where you are pretty much immune to energy attacks. Top off with a bit of Life Support Heat and Cold and you are probably good.

Laterally...ask yourself why you want to be immune to energy attacks: what is the (albeit spurious) in-game justification? "I just am" is not good enough, and neither is "It is magic", because that is simply saying the same thing. Superman is not immune to punches, and being an energy being does not mean you are immune to energy; you are a physical being and you are not going to enjoy sitting on a drawing pin.

In most cases where people want 'immunity' they do not really need immunity

Hugh' date=' you keep harping on talking to the GM about power levels. That's all well and good, but not all GMs give specifics that you are looking/asking for. Last year I build a Pulp Hero character with very little info. I'm not saying that this is the best method by far, but it does happen. (my character did fairly well too!)[/quote']Then he should tell us that. He frequently asks a multi-part question(s), gets an answer, then ignores 90% of what was said to fixate on one thing, often eventually returning to his earlier question(s) giving no indication he has even considered the suggestions. It is hard to help someone who asks for help repeatedly and then utterly ignores you, choosing to throw on more questions instead of talking through a particular point. If he said "all I know is we're using the Standard Superheroic Guidelines in the book" a month ago on any of his dozen threads it wouldn't be getting harped on now.

When my GM gives points to make a character he gives 400 points for powers and such and 75 for complication.
Does he give any other guidelines like the ones Hugh has asked you about? Average CV, DCs, AP limits, et cetera? Have you asked the GM about those things?