Gremlin

TheNaga

Re: Gremlin

If being Impervious to Energy and Electricity is to much what could I replace it with?

Maybe Combat Luck from being unpredictable in combat?

I actually really like the idea that Gremlin has a super high ED. It's weird. Do both high ED & take Combat Luck if you want.

If I get rid of Impervious to Energy and Electricity I might get rid of EB: Electricity unless a gremlin would have that power. In that case I might go with him having gremlin-like powers. That might fit with the following which is part of his bio. I know that he will be able to see into the Infrared & Ultraviolet spectrum and have a healing factor beside being highly agile.

Lightning bolts are nice to have.

What about giving the mutant a limited form of destructive probability manipulation as a ranged attack power? It could be like a localized "Entropy Bomb". You could even have Demolitions as a required roll to make it seem more like "elements" within the environment itself were being played with by the Gremlin.

A tiny bit of Telekinesis w/ Fine Manipulation (e.g., for operating power tools remotely) would be pretty Gremlin-ish, too.

The children in Santa Fe' date=' New Mexico orphanage would tease him and call him names. The children also started calling him Gremlin because they thought he look like an actually gremlin. [/quote']

That qualifies as a Distinctive Feature.

Is having starting out character with a Dex of 30 be to much since one of his powers is being very physical agile?

A 15- Agility Skill roll is good, but it doesn't break the game. Not even a little bit.

30 initiative (on the other hand) is really really (really?) good. Depending on how lethal the campaign is, going first in combat can be essential to survival.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From now on he is only immune to electricity. What about him having the ability to control machines?

Systems Operation

Computer Programming

Vehicle Familiarities

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says he can just push buttons

• 2 weeks later...

I was asking if having the ability to control machines was a good idea since I am going more with gremlin base powers for him.

Some methods that come to my mind is 1) vpp limited to the type of machine. I.e. a paper copier is only turn on and create a paper mess (chane enviroment), but a nail gun can fire nails (RKA). 2) I believe that there is a machine class of minds under mind control. 3) Some form of telekinesis through a focus (machine). Or perhaps alittle of all three?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

What if he is a fae? Would cyperpathic powers be the best way to go with most of his powers?

What would be some ways he could first find out he can drain the power from machines?

What if he is always invisible to all machines?

I would like some help in changing his history so that it shows a playable character.

I am going to right now work only on this since he was my first superhero character to make.

How do I following since the book does not say much as to the cost and such?

Power. Also how should I do his PRE since is he extremely charismatic despite the looking like a gremlin from the movie Gremlins? The PRE Score is his best characteristic.

var Short Legs: x½ Running per Size Template (e.g., x½ for

Small, x¼ for Diminutive, and so on, but character

should typically have a minimum of Running 1m regardless

of size)

var Weak: -5 STR per Size Template (but minimum of STR 1)

var Less Impressive: -5 PRE per Size Template (but minimum

of PRE 1)

I would like any suggestion you can give me on his powers.

40 Lightning Blast: Blast 8d6

10 Hard To Hit: +2 DCV

27 Ohm Effect: Energy Damage Reduction, 75% (40 Active Points); Only Works Against Common attack (electricity; -1/2)

48 Sap Power: Drain BODY 4d6, any one Electronic Device power at a time (+1/2) (60 Active Points); Limited Range (40 m; -1/4)

28 Machine Destruction: Killing Attack - Ranged 3d6, Area Of Effect (1m Radius; +1/4) (56 Active Points); Only Versus Machines (-1)

10 Agile: +5 DEX

50 Machines Obey My Thoughts: Mind Control 8d6 (Machine class of minds), Telepathic (+1/4) (50 Active Points)

20 Ohm Effect: +30 ED (30 Active Points); Only Works Against Common attack (Electricity; -1/2)

24 Scaly Skin: Resistant Protection (8 PD/8 ED)

I again come back to what standard you are using. Since you are looking for a superhero, I'd look to Standard Supers. Looking at characteristics, and your comments:

STR probably pretty low, say 8 or 10

DEX probably high given your Agile - 30 or 33 would be high DEX supers.

CON probably 23 - 25 - pretty standard, and you don't want to spend most of your time Stunned

INT not really suggested from your stats but let's say 10 - 13

EGO same, except he has some mental powers, so let's say 15 - 18

PRE you note you want high, so he's somehow very impressive. Say 30 - 40 would be high end Supers

OCV probably standard levels, say 8 - 10

DCV with that Speedy Small meme pretty high, say 13 (top of range)

OMCV probably a bit over starting, say 5, with his machine mental powers

DMCV say 5 - 7 again due to mental powers

SPD - 6 is an above average Super

PD and ED - usual range is 20 - 25 with about half resistant. You rely on avoiding being hit rather than soaking up damage, so could be a bit lower, but let's say 20, of which 10 is that resistant scaly skin

REC, END, BOD and STUN...

BOD probably moderate to low. Let's stick with 10

STUN - say 30 - 40, as the object is to avoid being hit, not suck it up

END depends a lot on power use, but he'll be acting at 6 SPD, so let's say 50 - 60

REC - he needs to get his END back - say 15 Both this and END could be lower if he takes reduced END on his powers - see how long he can last. Under a turn is bad, 2+ turns is lots.

Powers - back to the standards. 8 DC is pretty low. The norm is closer to 12. I'd bump the Lightning to 12d6 and Mind Control to 10d6. The machine destruction can stay the same, but I'd probably go with the Drain and let the KA go. I assume the intent is to Drain one electronic device power, not drain BOD.

Your investment in electricity resistance is huge - I'd pick one or the other. In my opinion, the limitation for "only one enerfy type" is far too low at -1/2, but that's the rules as written, so it's an issue I'd take up with my GM.

Expecting a 12DC typical attack, another 25 - 30 ED with, say, 10 resistant would pretty much do it. Or consider damage negation to reduce the DC's of electrical powers. This could be purchased as 5 points reducing the DC of any Electric based attack by 1 DC, so it would reduce a blinding Flash of lightning, a Taser that Drains DEX or a lightning bolt. 6 DC's would cut most attacks pretty significantly, so 30 points.

You probably want some movement, especially selling back running - perhaps a Flying or Teleporting Gremlin.

And having some Skills wouldn't hurt - take a run down the skill list and see what seems fitting. Given he's tiny, Stealth abilities seem reasonable. He can act as a scout that way. With a high PRE, he's good at any interaction skills selected.

What book are you reading? You need either the Basic Rules or the 2 volume Hero System rules if you're going to understand the game rules. The Champions book is not a rule book, but a genre book which discusses using the rules to build a Superheroes game.

Put that together and see how the point budget works out.

I am Using 400 points and 7s for Complications. I am using my friends Champions powers Book and the Main Books.

The reason from the high PRE was in the original setting he was from he had a very high Charisma score. Since he is smaller than a human he gets less PRE and STR Jus He has an IQ score wise of 130. I left out that he can regenerated Body and he has Infrared and Ultraviolet vision.

The character might get the ability uses his control of electricity to “latch onto” the electricity in cables or wires and travel along with it.

The Champions Powers Book has Machine Destruction as follows,

RKA 3d6, Area Of Effect (1m Radius; +¼) (67 Active Points); Only Versus

Machines (-1). Total cost: 33 points

I am Using 400 points and 7s for Complications. I am using my friends Champions powers Book and the Main Books.

I'm assuming by "Main Books", you mean Hero System Core Rules, the two volume bright blue books. I'll further assume your friend is either GM or player in the game you are making the character for.

1. Sit down with your friend.

2. Open Volume 1 to page 34. Confirm with your friend that Standard Supers is the baseline for the game.

3. Turn to page 35. Confirm with your friend that Standard Supers is the norm for abilities in the game. If not, find out what the norm is in this game.

Knowing this, you can sit with your friend and say "I'm thinking he should have a great PRE - what's the high level of PRE in this game?" or "He'll be hard to hit - what kind of DCV will that need in this game" or "He's going to have defenses on the low end of average - what are the typical defense levels in this game?"

You may well find out that the ranges given in the book aren't the ones actually used in this game. That is extremely common in Hero. The powers aren't pre-fab, and the characters aren't pigeonholed by a character level. If, in this game, a main attack is 8 - 10 DC's, that's where your Lightning Blast should fall in. If it's 12 - 14 DC's, an 8 - 10d6 Blast will be laughable. A DCV of 13 may be virtually unhittable, or might be the broad side of a barn, depending on the standards in this game.

Build the character with guidance from a player/GM who is familiar with the norms of this specific game. Don't ask "Should I buy a 30 DEX?". Assess whether you think your character is sluggish, below average, about average, high average or the best there is as far as agility goes, and ask how much DEX that should translate to in this game. In some games, 30 may be the top of the range. In others, it may be average or below average. The absolute values aren't important - how this character compares to the other characters is important.

And keep your expectations reasonable - any given character should expect to be really good in some areas, and very poor in others. All the other characters will have areas they shine in, and areas of deficiency, as well.

The reason from the high PRE was in the original setting he was from he had a very high Charisma score.

Does that mean he is impressive, unshakeable and persuasive? All these attributes are derived from PRE. If he is highly persuasive, but not impressive, that sounds more like a suite of interaction skills and some skill levels with them (although I find skill levels are vastly overpriced compared to the actual stat - "PRE, not for PRE attacks" might be a better buy if he's both persuasive and hard to intimidate, just not very intimidating himself).

Since he is smaller than a human he gets less PRE and STR

If you want him to have less PRE and STR because he is small, buy him that way. Limited PRE works fine for that approach. If you don't want him to have less PRE and STR, then don't build him that way. He can be 1" tall and lift 75 tons if that is the character you want to build.

He has an IQ score wise of 130.

Get over the IQ issue. He is, or is not, quick thinking and perceptive. That is all INT means. Address his INT by comparison to the campaign norms, and how quick thinking and perceptive you envision him being. How does anyone set a baseline IQ score for a Gremlin in the first place?

I left out that he can regenerated Body and he has Infrared and Ultraviolet vision.

Then add them in. Regeneration and Enhanced Senses are in the rule book.

The character might get the ability uses his control of electricity to “latch onto” the electricity in cables or wires and travel along with it.

Sounds like a limited Teleport or Flight ability, maybe with Megascale. Decide what you want him to do and build it. Get your friend to critique it - how does he stack up against the other characters, and the typical adversaries? Be ready to alter his abilities up or down to fit your vision to the campaign norms.

The Champions Powers Book has Machine Destruction as follows' date=' RKA 3d6, Area Of Effect (1m Radius; +¼) (67 Active Points); Only Versus Machines (-1). Total cost: 33 points[/quote']

Unless I am misrecalling, it has all sorts of different power levels. The Powers book is not a straightjacket. It is an aide. These are sample builds, not Feats. Deviating from the published version of the power is normal, and many gamers don't even use the pre-fab powers books.

How much of a problem would it be to have him eating only electricty?

How much of a problem do YOU want it to be? It can be simple background fluff, or you can define a complication that makes prolonged lack of access to a high voltage power plant a life or death issue.

Get over the IQ issue. He is, or is not, quick thinking and perceptive. That is all INT means. Address his INT by comparison to the campaign norms, and how quick thinking and perceptive you envision him being. How does anyone set a baseline IQ score for a Gremlin in the first place?

IQ is a characteristic in what appears to be the character's original mechanics Palladium/Hero Unlimited. IIRC, its suggest that a character IQ score times 10 is there IQ as far as the test scale goes.

He is a mutant who I want to look like the Gremlins off the the first Gremlins movie. I did make some changes to the way the Gremlins in the movie Gremlins look to get his look.

I think feeding on electricity would fit with the way I have been think about going with the character so far. He would require two hundred thousand amps per day.

The Wechsler Intelligence Scale classifies an IQ Score of 130 as very superior intelligence.

IQ is a characteristic in what appears to be the character's original mechanics Palladium/Hero Unlimited. IIRC' date=' its suggest that a character IQ score times 10 is there IQ as far as the test scale goes.[/quote']

And, with no similar analogue in Hero, it becomes useless as a yardstick. Sucks on ice with a 3d6 system as well, considering how far the bell curve trails down at "only" a 13 INT if one considers that a 130 IQ.

And' date=' with no similar analogue in Hero, it becomes useless as a yardstick. Sucks on ice with a 3d6 system as well, considering how far the bell curve trails down at "only" a 13 INT if one considers that a 130 IQ.[/quote']

You asked where the score came from. I assumed it wasn't rhetorical and I don't know if you're familiar with Heroes Unlimited/Palladium's house system. IIRC, IQ isn't directly tied to skills, after a certain level you get a bonus to the base percentage chance of success. It's an odd system, particularl since in the versions I played there was never a penalty to skills so you could easily have a, say, a neurosurgeon with an IQ of 70 and he'd be just as skilled as one with an IQ of 110.

Edit: Though it is an interesting artifact of how Hero works that Int usually turns out to be, effectively, how "smart" a character though that's not what it officially means.

Actually, what I said was

Get over the IQ issue. He is' date=' or is not, quick thinking and perceptive. That is all INT means. Address his INT by comparison to the campaign norms, and how quick thinking and perceptive you envision him being. How does anyone set a baseline IQ score for a Gremlin in the first place?[/quote']

In other words, it makes no difference where it came from. What matters is its game effects and how to port the same flavour into Hero.

Given Palladium is, I believe, a 3d6 system, a score of 13 is a bit above average but not overly remarkable. With that in mind, I would port over the 13 into Hero. A 13 is a nice breakpoint for all rolls based on INT anyway. But if Meadyon views his Gremlin's intelligence placing him in the top decile, or top percentile, of the population, then a 13 is not high enough. The appropriate score would need to be determined with the parameters of the specific campaign addressing the top decile/percentile of the population.

The way the skills work in Palladium is odd, IIRC. They're percentile based with a chance of success that increases per level. High IQ grants a bonus based on a table but that's it. Interestingly, low IQ doesn't invoke any penalties (at least it didn't in the versions I played) which lead to some odd characters conceptually.

Hers is what i have on the character so far. I would like the character to have him being a Technophile if possible as a complication.

Characteristics:

15 STR

25 DEX

15 CON

18 INT

20 EGO

20 PRE

4 OCV

4 DCV

4 OMCV

4 DMCV

3 SPD

4 PD

4 ED

3 SPD

15 REC

30 END

20 BODY

30 STUN

Powers:

27 Ohm Effect: Energy Damage Reduction, 75% (40 Active Points); Only Works Against Common attack (electricity and lightning; -1/2)

40 Lightning Blast: Blast 8d6

50 Machines Obey My Thoughts: Mind Control 8d6 (Machine class of minds), Telepathic (+1/4) (50 Active Points)

24 Scaly Skin: Resistant Protection (8 PD/8 ED)

28 Machine Destruction: Killing Attack - Ranged 3d6, Area Of Effect (1m Radius; +1/4) (56 Active Points); Only Versus Machines (-1)

48 Sap Power: Drain BODY 4d6, any one Electronic Device power at a time (+1/2) (60 Active Points); Limited Range (40 m; -1/4)

10 Agile: +5 DEX

Skills:

9 Mechanics 15-

12 +3 with all Intellect Skills

9 Systems Operation 15-

9 Stealth 18-

Complications:

15 Distinctive Features: Resembles A Gremlin (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

15 Psychological Complication: Curious (Common; Strong)

Is "agile" before or included in his base 25 DEX?

Assuming this is for a Supers game, the character's OCV will prevent him hitting any credible opponent without an incredible roll (he should be OK at hitting inanimate objects). A 3 SPD is extremely slow for a Super. A typical 12d6 attack will get 30 STUN past his 12 total defenses, knocking him out to exactly 0 STUN. With his 4 DCV, an attacker will rarely, if ever, miss him.

You have spent 12 points for 3 skill levels with all intelect skills. You have two such skills, both already bought to very high levels.

Have you looked at the guidelines for a "Standard Super" near the front of Vol 1 of the 6e rules? Have you read the character examples for Supers games in the back of Vol 2?