Gremlin

TheNaga

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Gremlin

Immunity is generally hard to do in HERO without houserules or handwaving.

In this case, you'd just buy the character lots of ED, ED Armor/Resistant Protection, and Energy Damage Reduction, since electricity, radiation, lasers, and ion weapons are all 'energy attacks' already.

Resistance to Stun would be Extra CONstitution with the limitation 'only to prevent Stunning'.

How do I give a character an immune to electricity' date=' energy attacks, radiation, stun, laser, and ion weapons?[/quote']

What level of immunity?

Immunity to "normal" sources of that damage or to "super" sources of that damage? There is a big difference.

Immunity to stun damage/being stunned can be done with automaton powers.

In either chase, be really carefully with all absolutes especially immunities. He can be very resistan so he usually has little problems with attacks but you should not make one enemy immune to the PC's attacks.

And for PC's I would want to hear a really good chase for why this guy is immune to X or even just super-resistant.

How do I give a character an immune to electricity' date=' energy attacks, radiation, stun, laser, and ion weapons?[/size']

WHY do you give a character an "immune" (sic) to electricity, energy attacks, radiation, stun, laser, and ion weapons?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary asks DO you give a character an "immune" (sic!) to electricity, energy attacks, radiation, stun, laser, and ion weapons?

His immunity to electricity, energy attacks, radiation, stun, laser, and ion weapons is part of his mutant abilities. His other mutant powers the ability fire Electricity from his body, Healing Factor, and Infrared & Ultraviolet vision.

I asked you if you meant "immunity to normal" or "immunity to superlevel sources". In superheroics there should be really no immunities to superlevel effects. High resistance is okay, but not imminuty.

The followign reason are in my mind:

- balancing. Simply ignoring the attacks of an enemy should only happen if you are way superior(he is 300 Points, you are 750).

- there is no absolute in the laws of physics. You can't be fireproof. You can only redirect or negate the energy with equivalent counter force. Redirection is limited, your ability to negate is limited.

- taking the often used example "but he is a living flame". First of, he is made of flames but not normal flames. They are somehow under his concious controll. As such his flames are not normal flames (since normal flames don't walk and talk). But his flames can still be negated by normal flames (or sombody elses flames) and the amount of energy he can channel is limited (Endurace). He can of course try to controll/subjugate the inbound fire (making them part of his flames) - but his ability to controll flames is limited too, otherwhsie he'd run around with the power of a small star all the time. So in either chase you can't really be imminue to flames on superhuman level. Normal Flames? No Problem. Really hefty resistance against Mr. Inferno? Okay. Immune to the heat of a Sun or 2000 Point god of flame? Dream on....

Why not give him loads of Energy Damage Negation up to the highest level that could be expected in the campaign? With moderate to high ED on top of that he'd be effectively immune to most energy attacks except for ultra high powered plot devices.

I never get the problem with a character being more or less immune to something. So one guy can't effect you? Unless he's the only atagonist in the world what difference does it make? Just beause Electroman can't hurt this guy (directly, there's may be ways he can) doen't make the character overpowered.

Claims its not "realistic" seems a hypocritical compared to all the unrealism strewn about the comic genre. Most superhumans violate several just be existing. Superpowers aren't realistic by definition and there are plenty of characters that can ignore the heat of star or even more particularly when you start bringing magic sfx into the deal. There's a difference between just not liking the idea of Immunity and claiming that its somehow "badwrongfun".

What bounses and penalties are there for have hollow bones which the character has?

The character might have a Vulernability to crushng/falling/Knockback damage. He'd be physically lighter and might take more KB. Benefits would vary. Whatever you think might stem from being lighter... more Swimming?

The immunities where to all form of electricity, energy attacks, radiation, stun, laser, and ion weapons. That includes magical, low techm and high tech verisons of them.

So hollow bones might be more of a hindrance then something good to have?

The immunities where to all form of electricity' date=' energy attacks, radiation, stun, laser, and ion weapons. That includes magical, low techm and high tech verisons of them.[/size']

Okay, I thought the effect might be tied into the name "gremlin".

I can't really think of any big advantage to them but others might come up with a few. Perhaps some extra Leaping since he's lighter than his frame might suggest. If he can fly/glide the hollow ones might be part of the rationalization for how he pulls it off (like the X-men's Angel).

Why not give him loads of Energy Damage Negation up to the highest level that could be expected in the campaign? With moderate to high ED on top of that he'd be effectively immune to most energy attacks except for ultra high powered plot devices.

I never get the problem with a character being more or less immune to something. So one guy can't effect you? Unless he's the only atagonist in the world what difference does it make? Just beause Electroman can't hurt this guy (directly, there's may be ways he can) doen't make the character overpowered.

It makes a big difference for the player of Electroman or the GM who has to create credible threats for Mr. Immune - without ripping him of by never having that SFX show up. Or having to covert enemys to a different SFX, because the immunity would ruin the day.

The question is "how much" is enough. I think somewhat near 1.5 times the allowed maximum AP for Defenses agaisnt that type of damage, you get a pretty good immunity, maybe even to much already.

For standart superheroic with the book guidelines, 34 AP seems to be the max (18 rED, 7 ED). So when you already have that much of defenses (effectively 25 normal ED, 18 rED) against the SFX/general type of damage and add 15-20 points of say Damage Negation you are pretty good protected.

Asuming the enemy attacks you with 12 DC, the damage negation reduce that to 8-9 DC - so superhumans with that SFX are only as dangerous as Agents for you.

Asuming you take the 4 times Damage Negation, this is what would happen agaisnt a 12 DC attack:

Normal Damage: 8 BODY, 28 STUN average. 3 STUN after defenses on average (wihtout the extra defense you coul expect 42 STUN - meaning 17 after defenses).

Killing Damage (8 DC = 2.5d6); 9 BODY, 18 STUN; Nothing after defenses (without extra: 14 BODY, 28 STUN but we are talking).

But, that is not so good once the enemy can make get a clean shoot (can haymaker and ad all his CSL to damage), but still way better than not having the extra defense.

When you would go up to twice the allowed AP vs. that SFX you would get:

18 rED, 7 ED, 7 times Energy Negation (35 additonal AP, limited agaisnt certain SFX's).

That reduces a 12 DC attack to a 5 DC attack that has to go against all your other defenses. It would mean even a haymakered attack is only a 9 DC attack (what we have above before haymaker).

All that asumes the GM in your Campaign will even allow you to buy extra defenses agaisnt certain SFX's at that level.

Claims its not "realistic" seems a hypocritical compared to all the unrealism strewn about the comic genre. Most superhumans violate several just be existing. Superpowers aren't realistic by definition and there are plenty of characters that can ignore the heat of star or even more particularly when you start bringing magic sfx into the deal. There's a difference between just not liking the idea of Immunity and claiming that its somehow "badwrongfun".

Afaik they never violated the laws of "Equal energies Negate each other" and "There is no absolute, only a strong power that can be overcome).

They either had just more points (until the source for that bonus power was taken away) or they had a big achilles heel - so it never was an abslute immunity in the first place.

Also there is a slight difference between being near the sun and taking a dive in it (just a few million degrees) or fighting someone who is build on 5 times your points.

If you know the follwing then would the character be better as an NPC or PC?

He will help and defend, protect and avenge follow mutants from human persecution. He hates humans much frequently raids human businesses, mugs innocent bystanders (often maiming or killing them), and engages in large and small terrorist acts, wholesale slaughter and other brutal acts of retribution to punish humans. In his mind, all humans, including women and children, are demons or vermin to be hurt, used and stomped out (killed) for their crimes against mutant kind. Any mutants and nonhumans who stand on the side of humans (like super-heroes) are traitors to be despised and either turned to see thing his way or destroyed.

The immunities I listed would be the only immunities the character would have the character have. Do you think it would better if give him gremlin-based powers since I used the Gremlins from the Movie Gremlins in making how he looks. The reason he has three eyes I like them alot thought it might make him look more evil.

A diminutive male walks in moving with grace and ease. Hard, smooth dark green scales cover his whole body. His bones are made of a strong internal network of fibers. His skull is short and massive. His pointed ears rise above his head. Above each of his three large ridged brows is a fin-like crest. Each fin-like crest runs across his head and down his neck. His three eyes are red orbs with the third eye being located in the center of his forehead. Razor-sharp curved, blade-like teeth line his long deep powerful jaws. Fifty percent of his upper teeth are visible even when his mouth is closed. The wide monstrous looking hands are 50% larger than normal. A sharp claw comes out of each of his hand’’s fingers and thumb. His prehensile tapering tail measures two feet in length. Both of his feet have three toes that end in a sharp two-inch long claw.

If you know the follwing then would the character be better as an NPC or PC?

He will help and defend, protect and avenge follow mutants from human persecution. He hates humans much frequently raids human businesses, mugs innocent bystanders (often maiming or killing them), and engages in large and small terrorist acts, wholesale slaughter and other brutal acts of retribution to punish humans. In his mind, all humans, including women and children, are demons or vermin to be hurt, used and stomped out (killed) for their crimes against mutant kind. Any mutants and nonhumans who stand on the side of humans (like super-heroes) are traitors to be despised and either turned to see thing his way or destroyed.

Depends on the campaign. Some campaigns allow evil/terrorist/murdering PCs.

It would not be a valid PC in any game I would ever run, but other GMs may feel differently.

Then what do I do to make playable in most games? Below is what made him hate humans and want to protect mutants.

The children in Santa Fe, New Mexico orphanage would tease him and call him names. The children also started calling him Gremlin because they thought he look like an actually gremlin.

He lived in an orphanage in Dallas, Texas until at age twelve when a carload of anti-mutant bigots burned down the orphanage. He barely escaped the fire. Unknown to him was the anti-mutant bigots want to kill her since was a mutant and the people harboring him. They also want to send a message that anyone harboring mutant would suffer the same fate as a mutant death.

Six months after turning nineteen he was attacked by a group of neo-Nazi skin and was left for dead if not for his healing factor. While in the hospital his best friend Nathan Daniels, who was also a mutant, was killed by the same neo-Nazi skinhead that tried to kill him. After his friend was killed, he chose to protect mutants from humans, which he saw as evil towards mutants.

Then what do I do to make playable in most games? Below is what made him hate humans and want to protect mutants.

The children in Santa Fe, New Mexico orphanage would tease him and call him names. The children also started calling him Gremlin because they thought he look like an actually gremlin.

He lived in an orphanage in Dallas, Texas until at age twelve when a carload of anti-mutant bigots burned down the orphanage. He barely escaped the fire. Unknown to him was the anti-mutant bigots want to kill her since was a mutant and the people harboring him. They also want to send a message that anyone harboring mutant would suffer the same fate as a mutant death.

Six months after turning nineteen he was attacked by a group of neo-Nazi skin and was left for dead if not for his healing factor. While in the hospital his best friend Nathan Daniels, who was also a mutant, was killed by the same neo-Nazi skinhead that tried to kill him. After his friend was killed, he chose to protect mutants from humans, which he saw as evil towards mutants.

This is a good back story. I would suggest though that even though he doesn't like normals, there is a reason that he will still help. Maybe he realized that beating up innocent normals are just giving fuel to the anti-mutants. Maybe he is "forced" to be in a hero group because of his past crimes and they are working on changing his mind. It seems that you have a great roleplaying oppurntunity here. You can do heroic things and still be a jerk-remeber Hanncock? Just don't take a psy lim like berserk versus normals for instance.

• 2 months later...

If being Impervious to Energy and Electricity is to much what could I replace it with?

If I get rid of Impervious to Energy and Electricity I might get rid of EB: Electricity unless a gremlin would have that power. In that case I might go with him having gremlin-like powers. That might fit with the following which is part of his bio. I know that he will be able to see into the Infrared & Ultraviolet spectrum and have a healing factor beside being highly agile.

Is having starting out character with a Dex of 30 be to much since one of his powers is being very physical agile?

[/size]Is having starting out character with a Dex of 30 be to much since one of his powers is being very physical agile?

The superhero archetypes and champions/chmapiosn enemies tend to max out with their DEX around 25. 20 seems to be a must have (but that might be from the last version, when Dex provided OCV/DCV).

High DEX works best with high Speed, high OCV/DCV but rather mediocre defenses. He needs to avoid attacks more often than taking him, but has the DEX/SPD to abort more often.

• 2 months later...

What bounses and penalties are there for have hollow bones which the character has?

It sounds like you want to be relatively realistic about this.

The character might have a Vulernability to crushng/falling/Knockback damage.

A Vulnerability to receiving broken bone injuries (due to the added trauma caused by splintering bone fragments) is more realistic.

He'd be physically lighter and might take more KB. Benefits would vary. Whatever you think might stem from being lighter... more Swimming?

That bird bones are lighter than other types is a common misconception. Bird bones, though hollow & delicate looking, are actually stronger and denser than ours. This could be simulated with bonuses to PD & BODY.

Tubes are architecturally more sound than cylinders, too.

However, this tends to make bird bones splinter badly when they do finally break.

The danger of digesting badly splintered bone fragments is why you commonly wouldn't give bird bones to a pet dog. This is not worth points, for sure. Why would a dog want to eat your nasty Gremlin, anyhow?

Beyond that, I'd give a small bonus to Persuasion if attempting to talk another character out of eating the Gremlin.

Interestingly, bat bones (though likewise extra strong & dense) are still not as dense as hollow bird bones.

Not for birds...

I can't really think of any big advantage to them but others might come up with a few. Perhaps some extra Leaping since he's lighter than his frame might suggest. If he can fly/glide the hollow ones might be part of the rationalization for how he pulls it off (like the X-men's Angel).

Hollow bones (from being stronger & denser) should be able to support a longer/thinner frame (like a bird); not necessarily a frame that is lighter than it looks, imho, ymmv.

Well the hollow bones in the system he was originally created for increased how fast he could run' date=' swim, and fly in mph. He cannot fly at all.[/quote']

Well' date=' some extra Running and Swimming as I suggested earlier would be appropriate.[/quote']

That sounds about right.

I bet this character's defecate yields high quality fertilizer. There could be a Hunted (by "biochemical/medical industrialists") in that.

On that note, the Gremlin seems like a veritable cornucopia of scientifically valuable body parts, to me.

~ Mister E