What have your experiences been with a Teleportation as an attack?

phoenix240

Re: What have your experiences been with a Teleportation as an attack?

Pretty sure that doesn't work. Force Walls/Barriers' date=' yeah, but I don't think Indirect lets you bypass damage shields.[/quote']

You're right on that as I said I don't use Damage Shields but just read up on it and "At the GM's option, attackers may be able to insulate themselves from the effects of the Shield by attacking the character with an object(such as a staff or chain), but this depends on the situation and the special effects involved." I would just rule that the special effect of Teleport based Stretching would work. But I would require the Indirect Advantage in order to Stretch through walls/barriers.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So let's make a power, I call it MTTDAMITWLIBSIAWOO (make the target Desolid and move it without letting it be stuck in a wall or object):

40 TK-STR, Works Like Teleport +0; 60 Base/Active/Real Cost

Works like Teleport:

Must affect whole object

Target does not passes through intervening space

Can only be used for and only last for one shove/throw/drag maneuver, but grants one of those for free (like grab does)

Cannot change facing of target (i.e. may not throw someone to the feet, only change his position).

Can do anything else teleport could do but I forgot.

Can't do anything else teleport could do, but i forgot.

The values is obviously open to debate.

Why buy a Blast? Just buy 60 STR TK, Works Like Blast (-1/2) for 60 points?

Works like Teleport:

Can't do anything but a Strike

Can spread for DC's or area effect

Instant

Cannot change facing of target (i.e. may not throw someone to the feet, only do standard knockback).

Can do anything else Blast could do but I forgot.

Can't do anything else Blast couldn't do, but i forgot.

The values is obviously open to debate, but I'm feeling pretty solid. After all, TK is the power you use to Punch someone at Range, so simulating that with a Blast would be wrong!

You could add Indirect to by-pass damage shields.

Then the point your Hand Materialises is not where he expects it. But Damage Shield just affects any HTH-Attack made by him or against him, no matter if it is made via streching or with normal Reach, no matter if the target is aware of the attack or not.

Adding "does not corsses interveening space" only means your "streched" arm can only be attacked/grabbed right at your body or your target point (instead of "along the entire streching path").

Indirect only means you can change target point/path and bypass barriers.

Then the point your Hand Materialises is not where he expects it. But Damage Shield just affects any HTH-Attack made by him or against him, no matter if it is made via streching or with normal Reach, no matter if the target is aware of the attack or not.

Adding "does not corsses interveening space" only means your "streched" arm can only be attacked/grabbed right at your body or your target point (instead of "along the entire streching path").

Indirect only means you can change target point/path and bypass barriers.

He knows that and has already addressed it. Twice in fact.

Why buy a Blast? Just buy 60 STR TK, Works Like Blast (-1/2) for 60 points?

[...]

The values is obviously open to debate, but I'm feeling pretty solid. After all, TK is the power you use to Punch someone at Range, so simulating that with a Blast would be wrong!

AP efficiency. With it, Endurance efficciency. Otherwise: Nothing.

But there is a difference between your argument and mine:

TK is the power to exert STR on Range

Blast is the power to do Normal Damage on Range, that can optionally move a target (KB).

Now the intended effect for our wich "Teleport, UAA" seem the perfect answer for you is:

"Move target against will, on Range".

The way to move a target against it's will is using STR agaisnt it, and STR on Range is TK. That is my interpretation of KISS.

Of course your target could be:

"Create an attack that cheats everybody with 60+ STR but normal weight out of their protections against unwanted movement for near nothing." - Wich is exactly why teleport UAA (or any movement UAA) is so unwated and on the list of the most likely abusive builds.

AP efficiency. With it, Endurance efficciency. Otherwise: Nothing.

But there is a difference between your argument and mine:

TK is the power to exert STR on Range

Blast is the power to do Normal Damage on Range, that can optionally move a target (KB).

Now the intended effect for our wich "Teleport, UAA" seem the perfect answer for you is:

"Move target against will, on Range".

The way to move a target against it's will is using STR agaisnt it, and STR on Range is TK. That is my interpretation of KISS.

Of course your target could be:

"Create an attack that cheats everybody with 60+ STR but normal weight out of their protections against unwanted movement for near nothing." - Wich is exactly why teleport UAA (or any movement UAA) is so unwated and on the list of the most likely abusive builds.

Reason from effect. The desired ability is to Teleport an opponent against their will, including sending them through object and all the other SFX already built into the Teleport Power. So, use Teleport UAA with GM approved Limitations as to the "common ways to prevent it's use" or build a convoluted, over-complicated build using TK, complete with Modifiers you had to invent and place an arbitrary value on? Hmmm... tough one.

I am not able to all when writing.

Allowing Indirect or SFX to counter Damage shield: Houserule

Allowing a Staff to be used that way without it taking the damage: Houserule.

Those are not house rules they are GM's options quoted straight from the book. 6E1 page 321

I wonder if invisibility vs Touch can avoid triggering a damage shield?

I don't think it would. It might evade a Power purchased with a Trigger "Whenever I am touched" since the Trigger situation couldn't be perceived.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if invisibility vs Touch can avoid triggering a damage shield?

Certainly not. The point of a Damage Shield is that it does not needs the users awareness or even consciousness (if it is persistent/always on) to affect an attacker. You grab the guy with a Falme Shield you take damage from the Flameshield.

After all Damage Shield is a form of Area of Effect, and AOE does not even requires the user to see all possible targets.