How would you build a Wushu leap?

lamorric

It has been a number of years, but I am fianlly getting back into Champions. As a point of reference, I have 5th ed, but I am more used to 4th. Yeah, I know, way behind. :rolleyes:

I am looking to build a "Wushu Leap". Think of the wall running, tree leaping of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, and the fight in Big Trouble in Little China in the temple between the Wind dude and the scrappy asain dude. The character should be able to move across walls, ceilings, and liquids, execute long "leaps", change directions, and fight / deflect / block while doing it.

My first thoughts were of some sort of flight with limitations like must at least half-move every phase and touch a surface at least once a turn.

I am also looking for ideas on how to create the styles / powers in the animated Avatar: The Last Airbender TV shows.

Any all ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Re: How would you build a Wushu leap?

It has been a number of years, but I am fianlly getting back into Champions. As a point of reference, I have 5th ed, but I am more used to 4th. Yeah, I know, way behind. :rolleyes:

I am looking to build a "Wushu Leap". Think of the wall running, tree leaping of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, and the fight in Big Trouble in Little China in the temple between the Wind dude and the scrappy asain dude. The character should be able to move across walls, ceilings, and liquids, execute long "leaps", change directions, and fight / deflect / block while doing it.

My first thoughts were of some sort of flight with limitations like must at least half-move every phase and touch a surface at least once a turn.

Thanks in advance!

That's how I built it. The character also needed someway to justify a turn in mid leap (like bouncing off a surface or catching hold of something and swinging to change their course or at least an Acrobatic roll).

Alternate idea:

Extra Leaping, requires an acrobatics roll

Clinging with the limitation 'only when moving'; so long as you moved during your last phase, you can cling, but if you stand still during your whole phase, you drop.

Hm, how would you deal with liquid surfaces?

Also how much of a limitation is that, I mean point-wise?

thx

Well, in 6E thsi would be simply:

Flight, Only in contact with Surface (-1/4; includes "must move" and "run on watter", "run up wall" and "run on the ceiling"). It the basic built for spedster superrunning since it ignores thing that stop/affect normal running, like Icesheets or that watter can't carry a character.

No idea if this Limitation also existed in 5E.

Well, in 6E thsi would be simply:

Flight, Only in contact with Surface (-1/4; includes "must move" and "run on watter", "run up wall" and "run on the ceiling"). It the basic built for spedster superrunning since it ignores thing that stop/affect normal running, like Icesheets or that watter can't carry a character.

No idea if this Limitation also existed in 5E.

You could also by Running with the acts as Swimming advantage (+1/4)[with Surface Only(-1/2?) Limitation on the Advantage]

Neither of these actually allow a Wushu LEAP. Flight Only in Contact With Surface doesn't let you leave the surface thus is not "leaping".

I found a Wall leap and a "Leaping to the horizon" ability (+30m or more of leaping). One of the laters option is not build Leaping but as Flight 30m' date=' No Gravity penalty, Cannot Hover (half move/phase), No NCM, Only in Straight line.[/quote']

If you take out the "Only In A Straight Line" Limitation, you'd get the sort of Flight/Leaping the OP is talking about. I'd also say that the OP's desire for CTHD Leaping could be a form of Flight that can only 'hover" as long as you're standing on something (like a stalk of bamboo) with the constant touching and pushing off of surfaces as part of the SFX. Thus you can't simply leap across a really wide gap as there's nothing to support you if you can't make it in a single move (since you can't hover in between your Phases.) Does this make sense?

If you take out the "Only In A Straight Line" Limitation' date=' you'd get the sort of Flight/Leaping the OP is talking about. I'd also say that the OP's desire for CTHD Leaping could be a form of Flight that can only 'hover" as long as you're standing on something (like a stalk of bamboo) with the constant touching and pushing off of surfaces as part of the SFX. Thus you can't simply leap across a really wide gap as there's nothing to support you if you can't make it in a single move (since you can't hover in between your Phases.) Does this make sense?[/quote']

"Cannot hover" means you have to take a minmum movement per phase (in the example it was 1/2 move/phase) or the flight stops. And the text suggest to let the character "stand" on normaly impropable objects...

"Cannot hover" means you have to take a minmum movement per phase (in the example it was 1/2 move/phase) or the flight stops. And the text suggest to let the character "stand" on normaly impropable objects...

Yeah, I know that, I wrote it. The issue is also a case of what is meant by "Wushu Leap" -- in some films it's simply the ability to leap really far (lots of Leaping) in others it's out-and-out Flight. For CTHD leaping, you might use Flight with the Limitation of "Must Periodically Touch A Surface" (-0 or -1/4) and require characters to land at the end of each Phase (with landing being as simply as pausing while in contact with a surface, so a character can "fly" through a stand of bamboo without stopping.)

Now I understand our misunderstandings:

Only in straight line is one of the two limitation that makes flight to jump. It means you can't jump around a corner. It does not mean your entire movement action can only follow a straight line. Your movement action can be based on a dozen short leaps, each going in a sligtly different direction or even leaping in circles around a 1x1 meter tile.

You need something to land on to change direction during your leap movement but you can change direction as often as you want.

Standing on Poles and the like:

1 m Flight, 0 END (+1/2), Only to "Stand" on poles and similar impropable things without penalites (-1/2 at least); 1 Real Cost.

Now I understand our misunderstandings:

Only in straight line is one of the two limitation that makes flight to jump. It means you can't jump around a corner. It does not mean your entire movement action can only follow a straight line. Your movement action can be based on a dozen short leaps, each going in a sligtly different direction or even leaping in circles around a 1x1 meter tile.

You need something to land on to change direction during your leap movement but you can change direction as often as you want.

Standing on Poles and the like:

1 m Flight, 0 END (+1/2), Only to "Stand" on poles and similar impropable things without penalites (-1/2 at least); 1 Real Cost.

Also, using Flight, Only In A Straight Line, means you can leap as far as you want from a standing start. No need to run or anything like that in order to build up momentum. It removes some of the issues with using straight Leaping to simulate the stunts seen in anime, manga, and wuxia films.