Matt the Bruins' character art thread

Matt the Bruins

Hey everybody, just thought I'd show off some character art I completed this weekend. Since I have several player characters and a few NPCs that I at least theoretically want to do illustrations of, I figured it would be more considerate to keep them all in a single thread.

First up, my most recent version of Super Model (now in color!), whom I created for Clonus' proposed X-Wives Club game:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]39851[/ATTACH]

Based on a dress design by Yves Saint Laurent.

Re: Matt the Bruins' character art thread

Thanks guys. After finishing it I was a bit surprised by the resemblance to Brooke Shields, which I was totally not aiming for while drawing. (Though it works for the character regardless.)

Next up, I finally got the colors the way I wanted on this collage of Kurzhaan the Conqueror. He's my spend-as-many-points-as-you-want werewolf character:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]39852[/ATTACH]

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey everybody, just thought I'd show off some character art I completed this weekend. Since I have several player characters and a few NPCs that I at least theoretically want to do illustrations of, I figured it would be more considerate to keep them all in a single thread.

First up, my most recent version of Super Model (now in color!), whom I created for Clonus' proposed X-Wives Club game:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]39851[/ATTACH]

Based on a dress design by Yves Saint Laurent.

I've seen that Mondrian patterned dress somewhere before, and I liked it then. Nice work. That type of design would be nice for a light controller with holographic powers.

And I finally found the time and motivation to draw the last of my HERO characters, Young Scratch, who is about the midpoint of the spectrum between Daimon Hellstrom and Adam Sandler's Little Nicky:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40760[/ATTACH]

You have a great style. Are you using Photoshop for coloring over the black lines you scan in, or are you in Illustrator for the whole thing?

Thanks! It's a mix, depending on the drawings. Most of them are drawn (outlines and colors both) in Illustrator over a scanned sketch or reference, and I just use Photoshop to convert them to a JPG file for posting. The werewolf images were drawn traditionally, scanned, and then I applied color and ghosting in Photoshop.

• 2 weeks later...

Now that all my PCs have made it into illustrated form, I thought I'd start drawing a few characters I invented as NPCs with no intentions of ever actually playing them. First up is Devil Ray, an aquatic heroine who's the result of a mad scientist splicing Atlantean DNA with that of a manta ray:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40944[/ATTACH]

Usually I do these drawings with no backgrounds so they'll work well on a character sheet, but this one just demanded to have the character's environment depicted.

I was in the zone drawing this one last night, getting all focused on the laptop once I finished dinner and not looking up until I was done after midnight. This is Arclight, conceived as a sort of shiny electrical version of the Human Torch.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41067[/ATTACH]

I usually use some sort of reference, though I may change things up from the pose in the original source. This latest one I took the overall body position from a photo (concept came first, as I wanted the character to be floating in mid-air and wearing a costume reminiscent of gymnasts), though I changed up the angle and position of the arms to fit what I wanted him to be doing.

• 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...