Back to Basics Designs

Cassandra

Re: Back to Basics Designs

A note about power levels

According to the DC Superhero RPG, Superman has a Champions STR 150, and Darkseid has STR 70. If thinks are lowered to a more reasonable level the effect is the same. For example, Superman STR 60 vs. Darkseid STR 30.

In the end its all relative. Personally I like your characters and enjoy reading them. Most of them would work pretty well in my games too.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A note about power levels

According to the DC Superhero RPG, Superman has a Champions STR 150, and Darkseid has STR 70. If thinks are lowered to a more reasonable level the effect is the same. For example, Superman STR 60 vs. Darkseid STR 30.

Are you using the conversions that pretty much crippled any character that had an 11 AP or better?

Eventually' date=' alas, you end up actually playing the game - and Star the Wonder Horse never ends up dating Wendy Wonder in the games I play in.[/quote']

These characters are made for fun. Not to play in a game so no they don't have to end up playing. And your inter-species dating rules have little bearing and make less sense. :)

I also use the principle first laid out in 2e Champions: a character needs a minimum of three powers - an offensive power, a defensive one, and a movement one. They are essential, everything else is nice.

I have the original Enemies Books and especially I & II follow this. I often wondered if this was a pattern. So I was right in my thinking. Thanks for sharing this tidbit.

These characters are made for fun. Not to play in a game so no they don't have to end up playing.

True.

And your inter-species dating rules have little bearing and make less sense. :)

Generally speaking the less inter-species dating a game features, the more it relies on face punching. ;)

That's important in this kind of activity, where characters can't usually afford to be good at both. You need to decide which aspect is the most important.

This matches the source material pretty well, though. Supergirl, in particular, rarely engaged in combat in her early stories. Building her on that basis would result in a character with lots of Change Environment and Transforms, with her combat stuff being downgraded.

On the other hand, Spider-Man, for example, would need to be balanced towards combat, since his stories tended to feature a lot of fights. (This was a significant part of the difference between DC and Marvel in the Silver Age, IMHO, although Batman got into a lot of fights as well.)

The three power model (Offensive/Defensive/Movement) works well for combat heavy characters, but is less suitable for mostly non-combat oriented ones.

I should whip up a couple of speedsters, to compare the two approaches. Maybe this afternoon.

Sounds good.

By the way, if you end up wandering over to my Else Earth characters thread...let me know if you can think of some good abilities for my team's more experienced (ie Point Constraints off) versions. I have worked a few of them out but the Dimensional Speedster gives me trouble.

I like to think I make pretty good characters but I always liked (I think it was yours) your build for the Invulnerable Brick that used Absorption.

I'm still 5e-ing it mostly as well.

I have worked a few of them out but the Dimensional Speedster gives me trouble.

Tricky. I'm planning on looking through the USPDs and Ultimate Speedster for suitable powers for my equivalent. Several chapters are potentially relevant. Heck, although I'd never personally use it, the Death Touch power in the Miscellaneous Powers chapter would be appropriate. (There was an early Wally Flash story involving him having a power of this sort.)

Reading lots of Flash, JLA and Teen Titans stories is a good idea. And any story featuring Quicksilver, Johnny Quick, Jesse Quick...

Hmm... Jesse Quick might be a good model for my Three Power Speedster. OIHID, Adrenal Strength, Flight, Speedster level CV, "normal" level defences. Nice.

I like to think I make pretty good characters but I always liked (I think it was yours) your build for the Invulnerable Brick that used Absorption.

Not one of mine. Far too clever. :)

I'm still 5e-ing it mostly as well.

Ditto. There are some pretty sweet things in 6e, but 5e is still my native language.

Ms. Marvel

Val Char Cost

50 STR 40

15 DEX 15

25 CON 30

10 BODY 0

13 INT 3

10 EGO 0

15 PRE 5

16 COM 3

20 PD 10

20 ED 15

4 SPD 15

15 REC 0

50 END 0

48 STUN 0

Total Characteristics Cost: 136 Points

Cost Skills

2 CSL: EB +1

5 CSL: HTH Combat +1

17 Danger Sense in Combat [sense] 12-

3 Tactics 12-

Total Skills Cost: 25 Points

Cost Powers

15 Damage Resistance 15 rPD 15 rED

40 EB 8d6

2 END +10, Only After Being Hit With Non-Magic Energy (-1/2)

5 ES: RPT, OAF: Avengers Communicator (-1)

20 Multipower (20 Points)

2 u) Flight 10"

2 u) Flight 6", Megascale [1 Km] (+1/4)

1 u) Transform: Instant Change [One Set of Clothes]

Total Powers Cost: 89

Total Cost: 250 Points

150+ Disadvantages

5 Disctinctive Features: Tall Beautiful Blonde Woman (Easily Concealable/Noticed)

15 Hunted: Enemies of Ms. Marvel (As Powerful/NCI) 8-

10 Hunted: Enemies of The Avengers (As Powerful) 8-

5 PhyL: Alcoholic (Infrequently/Slightly)

15 PsyL: Overconfidence (Common/Strong)

20 PsyL: Protective of Innocents (Very Common/Strong)

5 Rivalry: Rogue (As Powerful/Professional/Aware)

15 SocL: Secret Identity [Carol Susan Jane Danvers] (Frequently/Major)

10 Vuln: Magic, 1 1/2x STUN (Common)

Total Disadvantages Cost: 250 Points

Marvel Characters have more limits on their powers, and more psychological limitations. DC characters usually have one major weakness, but psychological more stable.

thanks enforcer

Think a (-1) disadvantages is appropriate for the END +10.

I'm using it instead of absorption to save cost.

I'm basing it on the issue where the Avengers were captured and gassed in South America. They are entangled and have no END to use their powers to escape. Ms. Marvel tricks a guard into shocking her, and gains END enough to break free. (I'm speaking in game terms.)

I use Cassandra's builds for my Gotham Knights Animated DC Campaign. I will admit to bumping Supes up a bit, but generally the characters are the Sidekicks with one or two forays into "Heavy Hitters" when the story calls for it.

We always have a grand time and nobody complains because their characters can't do something or they are too weak. Thugs and gangsters can pose a problem sometimes, just like in the cartoon. It's all relative. If you say that JLA characters are all 250-300 points, sidekicks are 150-200 points and thugs are 75-150 points then there is an internal logic that makes sense.

I'm a big fan. I'd just like to see tons of animated Justice League villains. More Villains!!!

What does Rep mean exactly?

It's a weighted measure of popularity.

If you approve of someone's post, you reputize it, which increases that person's reputation score. The higher your own "Rep Power" the more it's worth when you reputize someone; so if someone who just joined reputizes you, it may not effect your score at all, but if someone unversally admired and of long standing like Susano reputizes you, it's worth a lot.

Reputation never goes down, so even if Susano stopped posting for a year, when he came back he'd find his score unchanged. In the mean time of course other people have been accumulating reputation so his number may be the same but his relative position changes. Obviously, there is a kind of long term "inflationary" trend as the scores go up and up.

Personally, I don't care so much about the numbers; I like to be reputized regardless and I see it as basically a way for us to express approval to one another and perhaps even shape the overall character of the board by not only our own posts but by encouraging the kind of posts we like to see. I don't track the numbers at all, except in terms of how many discrete times one of my posts gets reputized (I think the record was 24) but I treasure the comments and the awareness that someone found my contributions interesting, useful, or pleasurable in some way.

You can only reputize a post once. So if you join, like something and reputize it, and then come back to the same post a year later when you've accumulated more reputation for yourself, you can't reputize it for more points. You can't reputize yourself of course. You can only do it so many times a day, which is why you may see people refer to "recharging my rep stick." And when you reputize one person's post, you have to go out and reputize several other people (not sure the exact number) before reputizing that person again - no matter how many times they post something you find reputable.

When you reputize something you may leave a comment (or not) and from your Settings screen you can see what posts of yours have been recently reputized and what people had to say about them. Mine curently include remarks like "Awesome" "Absolutely Awesome" "That was actually kind of beautiful" "Ignore this rep" "You forgot to supply an 800 number for ordering" (makes sense if you know what was being reputized) "Oh poo what fun is that?" and "I hope you realized I was making an oblique refrence to boobs" (as a matter of fact, no, I had no clue that's what he was talking about.) Did I mention that I treasure the comments? :)

Lucius Alexander

One guy reputized me and said it was because his wife loved the palindromedary

Captain Marvel

Val Char Cost

50 STR 40

15 DEX 15

25 CON 30

12 BODY 4

13 INT 3

14 EGO 8

15 PRE 5

16 COM 3

25 PD 15

15 ED 10

4 SPD 15

15 REC 0

50 END 0

50 STUN 0

Total Characteristics Cost: 148 Points

Cost Skills

Total Skills Cost: 5 Points

Cost Powers

15 Damage Resistance 20 rPD 10 rED

3 ES: PER +1

5 ES: RPT, OAF: JSA Communicator (-1)

2 u) Flight 10"

2 u) Flight 8", Megascale [1 Km] (+1/2)

2 u) Running +10"

2 u) Swimming +20"

2 u) Tunneling 4" DEF 4

6 KNB Resist -3"

19 LS: High Pressure, High Radiation, Intense Cold, Intense Heat, Low Pressure/Vacuum, Self Contained

7 Mental Defense 10 Points

12 Multiform 100 Points [billy Batson], Instant Change, Incantations ["SHAZAM!"] (-1/4)

Total Powers Cost: 97 Points

150+ Disadvantages

20 Accidental Change When Hit By Magic Lightning SFX EB (Uncommon) Always

10 Hunted: Dr. Sivana (As Powerful) 8-

20 PsyL: Code of the Hero (Very Common/Strong)

20 PsyL: Code versus Killing (Common/Total)

15 SocL: Secret Identity (Frequently/Major)

15 Vuln: Ambushes/Treacherous Attacks, 1 1/2x STUN (Very Common)

Billy Batson

Val Char Cost

15 STR 5

18 DEX 24

15 CON 10

12 BODY 4

13 INT 3

11 EGO 2

15 PRE 5

16 COM 3

5 PD 2

3 ED 0

4 SPD 12

6 REC 0

30 END 0

28 STUN 0

Total Characteristics Cost: 70 Points

Cost Skills

12 Combat Luck +6 rPD +6 rED

3 Contortionist 13-

3 Conversation 12-

3 Deduction 12-

1 FB: Press Pass

3 Streetwise 12-

Total Skills Cost: 25 Points

Cost Powers

5 EB: RPT, OAF: JLA Communicator (-1)

Total Powers Cost: 5 Points

Total Cost: 100 Points

50+ Disadvantages

15 Hunted: Dr. Sivana (More Powerful) 8-

20 PsyL: Overconfidence (Very Common/Strong)

Total Disadvantages Cost: 100 Points

Mary Marvel

Val Char Cost

50 STR 40

15 DEX 15

25 CON 30

12 BODY 4

13 INT 3

14 EGO 8

15 PRE 5

16 COM 3

20 PD 10

20 ED 15

4 SPD 15

15 REC 0

50 END 0

50 STUN 0

Total Characteristics Cost: 148 Points

Cost Skills

Total Skills Cost: 5 Points

Cost Powers

15 Damage Resistance 20 rPD 10 rED

3 ES: PER +1

5 ES: RPT, OAF: JLA Communicator (-1)

2 u) Flight 10

2 u) Flight 8", Megascale [1 Km] (+1/4)

2 u) Running +10"

2 u) Swimming +20"

2 u) Tunneling 4" DEF 4

6 KNB Resist -3"

19 LS: High Pressure, High Radiation, Intense Cold, Intense Heat, Low Pressure/Vacuum, Self Contained

7 Mental Defense 10 Points

12 Multiform 100 Points [Mary Bromfield Batson], Instant Change, Incantations ["SHAZAM!"] (-1/4)

Total Powers Cost: 97 Points

150+ Disadvantages

20 Accidental Change When Hit By Magic Lightning SFX EB (Uncommon) Always

10 Hunted: Georgia Sivana (As Powerful) 8-

15 Vuln: Ambushes/Treacherous Attacks, 1 1/2x STUN (Very Common)

Mary Bromfield Batson

Val Char Cost

10 STR 0

18 DEX 24

15 CON 10

12 BODY 4

13 INT 3

11 EGO 2

15 PRE 5

16 COM 3

4 PD 2

4 ED 1

4 SPD 12

5 REC 0

30 END 0

25 STUN 0

Total Characteristics Cost: 66 Points

Cost Skills

12 Combat Luck +6 rPD +6 rED

3 Contortionist 13-

3 Conversation 12-

3 Deduction 12-

3 High Society 12-

5 Money: Well Off

Total Skills Cost: 29 Points

Cost Powers

Total Powers Cost: 5 Points

Total Cost: 50 Points

50+ Disadvantages

15 Hunted: Georgia Sivana (More Powerful) 8-

Total Disadvantages Cost: 100 Points

Captain Marvel and his twin sister Mary Marvel are all terrain bricks. They have multiform true identities who possess investigative skills and are overconfident in their abilities. They both have contortionist to get the gag off and say SHAZAM!

I owe you a speedster. Actually, I promised you two, but converting this one to a more roleplaying oriented one should be trivial.

Cyclone

Tracy Storm

("3 Power" Speedster)

Val Char Cost

10 STR 0

38 DEX 84

20 CON 20

10 BODY 0

10 INT 0

10 EGO 0

20 PRE 10

10 COM 0

8 PD 6

8 ED 4

5 SPD 2

6 REC 0

40 END 0

25 STUN 0

Total Characteristics Cost: 126 Points

Cost Powers

6 Combat Luck (3 rPD 3 rED, limited as per the book)

80 Multipower (80 Point base)

10 m) Flight 20", Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4)

2 u) Flight 8", Megascale [1 Km] (+1/4)

8 m) Superspeed Punch: HA +8d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); Hand-to-Hand Attack (-½)

Total Powers Cost: 107 Points

Skills and extra stuff 17

Note: this character, as written, would be horribly dull to play, unless you did something cool with the unallocated points.

The "3 powers" are:

Offensive: HA

Defensive: Extra DEX (CV), Combat Luck

Movement: Flight

END usage is a problem, best fixed by OIHID.

I've merged her HA into her Multipower, to make it easier for her to add new powers. The cheapness of new slots helps ease the boredom problem.

An "interesting" version of the character would trade off DEX for more MP slots, chars, skills and perks.

Another thought: One of the factors making character modelling difficult is that there has been gradual power creep in the BtB values given for environmental and normal weapon effects. Take a look back at earlier editions and compare them to 5th and 6th.

It used to be easier to get those interactions "right". This is unfortunate, since those interactions are the only campaign neutral benchmarks we have for characters' abilities. (If nothing else, nobody can accuse your characters from being from Nerfworld.)

At the same time, the trend has been for characters to become broader in terms of skills and powers. The old "3 powers" characters look a bit dodgy these days.

Obviously the increase in standard starting points has offset that to some degree, but doesn't really solve the problem. And when we are working with 250 points anyway, we're up the creek without a paddle.

6e has probably made it worse for high CV characters, incidentally. My speedster goes way over the top pointwise once she has to buy her CV separately, even with dodges like swapping DEX for Lightning Reflexes. She's not particularly tough to begin with...

Iron Man

Val Char Cost

15 STR 5

15 DEX 15

15 CON 10

12 BODY 4

18 INT 8

10 EGO 0

15 PRE 5

16 COM 3

6 PD 3

4 ED 1

4 SPD 15

6 REC 0

30 END 0

28 STUN 0

Total Characteristics Cost: 69 Points

Cost Skills

2 Bump of Direction, OIF: Helmet (-1/2)

3 Computer Programming 13-

3 Electronics 13-

3 High Society 12-

3 Mechanics 13-

15 Money: Filthy Rich

3 Navigation [Air] 13-

Total Skills Cost: 32 Points

Cost Powers

30 Armor +18 rPD +12 rED, OIF: Suit (-1/2)

5 CON +5, NFC (-1/2), OIF: Suit (-1/2)

13 END 100 REC 10, OIF: Reactor (-1/2)

33 EB 10d6, OIF: Repulsors (-1/2)

20 ES: HRRP, 360 Degree Radar, OIF: Helmet (-1/2)

3 Flash Defense [sight] 5 Points, OIF: Helmet (-1/2)

13 Multipower (20 Points) OIF: Boots (-1/2)

1 u) Flight 10"

1 u) Flight 8", Megascale [1 Km] (+1/4)

6 LS: High Pressure, High Radiation, Intense Cold, Intense Heat, Low Pressure/Vacuum, OIF: Suit (-1/2)

7 LS: Self Contained, OIF: Helmet (-1/2)

17 STR +35, NFC (-1/2), OIF: Suit (-1/2)

Total Powers Cost: 149 Points

150+ Disadvantages

10 Depend: Arc Reactor (Easy to Obtain) 1d6 STUN/20 Minutes

5 DNPC: Pepper Potts (Useful Normal) 8-

10 Hunted: Iron Man Enemies (As Powerful) 8-

20 NCM

20 PsyL: Protective of Innocents (Common/Strong)

15 SocL: Secret Identity [Tony Stark] (Frequently/Major)

I'm using the Arc Reactor he needs to keep himself alive as a Power Source for the Armor, as in the Movie. It's easy to obtain because I'm sure Tony will have a spare available.

Black Canary

Val Char Cost

15 STR 5

20 DEX 30

18 CON 16

11 BODY 2

18 INT 8

14 EGO 8

20 PRE 10

16 COM 3

7 PD 4

7 ED 3

4 SPD 10

7 REC 0

36 END 0

28 STUN 0

Total Characteristics Cost: 99 Points

Cost Skills

3 Acrobatics 13-

3 Breakfall 13-

2 CSL: EB +1

3 CSL: Martial Arts +1

3 Concealment 13-

3 Criminology 13-

3 Deduction 13-

3 Lockpicking 13-

4 Martial Arts DC +1

4 Martial Block

4 Martial Disarm

4 Martial Strike

3 Martial Throw

5 Offensive Strike

3 Security Systems

3 Shadowing 13-

10 SL: Overall +1

3 Stealth 13-

3 Streetwise 13-

Total Skills Cost: 73 Points

Cost Powers

16 Armor +8 rPD +8 rED, OIF: Costume (-1/2)

40 EB 8d6

2 Running +1"

15 Running +5", 8x NCM, No END (+1/2), Only on Appropriate Terrain (-1/2), OIF: Motorcycle (-1/2)

Total Powers Cost: 78 Points

150+ Disadvantages

10 Hunted: Black Canary Enemies (As Powerful) 8-

10 Hunted: JLA Enemies (As Powerful) 8-

20 NCM

20 PsyL: Protective of Innocents (Very Common/Strong

5 Rivalry: Huntress (Professional/As Powerful/Aware)

15 SocL: Secret Identity [Dinah Lance] (Frequently/Major)

Superman

Val Char Cost

35 STR 25

15 DEX 15

25 CON 30

14 BODY 8

10 INT 0

10 EGO 0

15 PRE 5

16 COM 3

7 PD 0

5 ED 0

4 SPD 15

12 REC 0

50 END 0

Total Characteristics Cost: 101 Points

Cost Skills

3 Conversation 12-

1 FB: Press Pass

3 Streetwise 12-

Total Skills Cost: 7 Points

Cost Powers

34 Armor +18 rPD +10 rED, Does Not Work During Red Solar Radiation Exposure (-1/4)

32 Multipower (40 Points) Does Not Work During Red Solar Radiation Exposure (-1/4)

3 u) EB 8d6 ["Heat Vision"]

3 u) Entangle 4d6, DEF 4 ["Freezing Breath"]

3 u) STR +40

3 u) Telekinesis 20 STR, Fine Manipulation ["Super-Breath"]

7 ES: N-Ray Sight [Not Through Lead], Concentrate DCV 1/2 (-1/4), Does Not Work During Red Solar Radiation Exposure (-1/4)

10 ES: Microscopic Sight 10x, Telescopic Hearing +2, Telescopic Sight +2, Ultrasonic Hearing, Does Not Work During Red Solar Radiation Exposure (-1/4)

16 Multipower (20 Points) Does Not Work During Red Solar Radiation Exposure (-1/4)

1 u) Flight 10"

1 u) Flight 8", Megascale [1 Km] (+1/4)

1 u) Healing: Regeneration 1 BODY/Turn

1 u) Running +10"

1 u) Swimming +20"

1 u) Tunneling 4" DEF 4

7 LS: High Pressure, High Radiation, Intense Cold, Intense Heat, Low Pressure/Vacuum, Does Not Work During Red Solar Radiation Exposure (-1/4)

7 LS: Self Contained, Cost END Only to Activate (-1/4), Does Not Work During Red Solar Radiation Exposure (-1/4)

Total Powers Cost: 142 Points

150+ Disadvantages

10 DNPC: Jimmy Olsen (Unaware Slightly Less Powerful) 8-

10 DNPC: Lois Lane (Unaware Slightly Less Powerful) 8-

10 Hunted: Lex Luthor (As Powerful) 8-

15 SocL: Secret Identity [Kal-El/Clark Kent] (Frequently/Major)

5 Suscept: Green Kryptonite Radiation, 1d6 STUN/Minute (Uncommon)

10 Vuln: Magic, 1 1/2x STUN (Common)

This is a More Powerful Superman who loses his power when exposured to Red Solar Radiation. He has stronger then normal human strength as a back up and because he is from a heavier gravity world. Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen are Slightly Less Powerful because they sometimes have superpowers.

I've got a version of Superman based on the 1950s TV series in the works. Unfortunately I'm working today, so later...

I have no qualms about the "Supermanness" of such a character, since both Whitney Ellsworth and Mort Weisinger worked on the show. In particular, if Mort said he was Superman, he was Superman.

Any chance you'll be doing Aquaman, preferably old-school Aquaman (y'know, with two hands and no beard, like on the Super Friends)? And in a perfect world, Apache Chief, Black Vulcan, and Samurai! :)

Your write-ups are very helpful to me, although I don't necessarily agree with the characteristics you've assigned (i.e., why does Hal Jordan have the strength of an all-time great bodybuilder? I think he should be more like 12--but I'm old and the only stories I've read are from the 1960s and maybe he started doing steroids since then).

It's really great that you are posting these as I am not great at building existing characters from the comics. You've made it a lot easier as I can just take what you have done and modify for my own purposes.

My 50s TV Superman will be a while. I need to sleep, eat, watch TV and generally chill. Maybe tomorrow, or very late tonight.

On the other hand, I've noticed that the Batman and Robin serial that I also have on DVD was only made a couple of years before the Superman show. The characters could be quite intriguingly compatible. This is the easiest and cheesiest version of Batman ever, with no utility belt, and a very mediocre Batmobile. I'll rewatch it after I get through the rest of the Superman episodes I have. (Season 2.)