Dissecting Powers

Lucius

Re: Dissecting Powers

Not to derail the thread or anything' date=' but how is HERO more "stop motion" than any other game system? The stop motion effects might be more noticeable because HERO has SPD while most games (that I have played) just take turns back and forth. That makes HERO more granular so the "stop motion" effect may be more obvious, but it doesn't change the basic idea of "on my turn I move X distance." The only game I ever played that didn't work like that was Car Wars, but the nature of the game kind of demanded more careful accounting of movement.[/quote']

Shadowrun 4E also has a "Multiple actions per Turn" rule, once anybody boost their initiative passes (common cyberware or magic). There one "IP" can be as small as 3/4 seconds.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I don't want this to be "The Lucius Show" here's a set of Powers I lifted from Cassandra. Chosen semi-randomly as I just started scrolling the threads for one that looked like it would have characters, and chose one from the first such thread I entered.

These are all the Powers (i.e. not including Skills etc) of a 250 pt character.

Cost Powers

10 Armor +5 rPD +5 rED, OIF: Power Ring (-1/2)

33 Multipower (50 Points) OIF: Power Ring (-1/2)

3 u) EB 10d6

3 u) Entangle 5d6, DEF 5

3 u) FTL Travel 1000000 LY/Year [114 LY/Hour]

3 u) Force Wall 10 rPD 10 rED

1 u) Transform: Intant Change [Any]

13 Multipower (20 Points)

1 u) Flight 10"

1 u) Flight 8", Megascale [1 Km] (+1/4)

1 u) Swimming 20"

38 LS: High Pressure, High Radiation, Intense Cold, Intense Heat, Low Pressure/Vacuum, Self Contained, Usable Simultaniously (+1/2), Persistant (+1/2),

Ranged (+1/2), 4x Mass (+1/2), OIF: Power Ring (-1/2)

6 REC +4, END +10, OIF: Power Ring (-1/2)

18 STR +30, 1/2 END (+1/4), NFC (-1/2), OIF: Power Ring (-1/2)

Total Powers Cost: 157 Points

Without cheating by looking up the original thread, I'm curious what you (generic "any or all of you") can tell me about the character. I'd also like to see someone or several someones try "dissecting" this powerset and explaining it as if to someone new to Hero, like I did with the first power I presented.

Lucius Alexander

An a yellow palindromedary

A plain speak example of Lucius' power could perhaps be written like so:

Out with a bang!

The hero throws a small packet to the ground which promptly ignites with a flash, blinding any character within 16m of the hero who is looking at the hero without eye protection for one second; those within 8m are blinded for an additional second (two total). Further, the hero can choose to spend 1 END to leap up to 5m away while those around the hero are blinded. The packets are time-consuming to make, limiting the hero to 2 packets per week.

P.S. I love your power breakdown! I'll try to take you up on your challenge later.

Cost Powers

3 u) EB 10d6

3 u) Entangle 5d6, DEF 5

1 u) Flight 10"

1 u) Swimming 20"

38 LS: High Pressure, High Radiation, Intense Cold, Intense Heat, Low Pressure/Vacuum, Self Contained, Usable Simultaniously (+1/2), Persistant (+1/2),

First: That is 5E, so I hope i get the stuff right.

So definitions before hand:

Normal Damage: Does Little Body damage but rather high STUN. The typical Attack in Superheroic games. More likely to knock somebody out that to kill them

Killing Damage: Does somewhat more Body damage, but not as much STUN as normal Body attacks. Also only certain defenses work against the Body of it. It's common in heroic campaing (swords) and still worth it's points in superheroic when trying to destroy something inanimate or something the character considers not alife.

Active Points: The measurement how "powerfull" any given power is. A attack with 60 AP is obviously more powerfull than an attack with only 30 AP.

Armor

This is resistant Protection, wich help surving Killing Attacks. It is provided by a Ring that is obviously indentifiable as the source of the power but hard to just snatch away during a fight.

The way it is build it might be a persistant Force Field of some kind - it protects you 24/7 but it will be noticed when you use it.

Multipower(note: cost are wrong)This is a Multipower, a way to group powers. You cannot use all the powers at once, but you can have way more powers availible. This one is also built into the same Ring that provides the Armor.

I this specific build every one of the slots is a "ultra" slot. That means you can only use one of the powers at any given point and can only switch the powers once per phase:

50 points - the Multipower Reserve. The maximum number of Active Points you can use at once.

3 u) - the Real Cost of the power and the notice that this slot is an ultra slot. They are especially cheap, but no matter how few of the power you use you always have to assign it's entire active points agaisnt the reserve. That means it is very inflexible but also very cheap.

EB - Energy Blast. A ranged attack (also useable on HTH-range) that deals normal Damage. It will stun most enemies, ideally to disable the big bad guy and his legion of lackeys.

Entangle - Like the name sugest, an attack that somehow preventes the target from moving freely. Ideal to stop somebody moving or to set up a target for follow up attacks or attacks from Teammates.

FTL Travel - when you seriously need to get to proxima centaury right now. 1.000.000 times the speed of light. Don't forget that you nead to eat (the rest is taken care of below).

Force Wall: creates a Wall of Energy that must be sustained (you cannot switch slots and holding it up is taxing). Great for stopping attacks, block a way, protect civilians, and a few other uses...

Instant Change: Get from your civilian clothes into you costume with only 1/2-phase action. Practically when the bad guys show up and no telephone booth is in sight.

Multipower (20 Points) (Note: OIF Limitation is missing)

A Multipower only for movement. Includes a normal, slow flight (Flight 10"), a really fast but not maneuverable flight (Megascaled to 8 km/phase top speed). And a way to Move in water (propably flight that is not hindered by water).

LS - Life Support Powers. The names itself are rather self explaing. Note that they only protec against "mudane" problems of that sort. You are safe from catching normal radiation effects, but guys named "Fallout" and other atomic villians can still hurt you. This version can be given to others (up to 4 people). Again something you get from the Power Ring.

REC - Recovery determines how fast you get lost STUN and Endurance back. Having more rec also means being able to do strenous actions longer without exhaustion.

STR - you Strenght. This extra STR also only costs you haf the normal Endurance (1/2 END) but unlike normal STR it does not privodes durabilty (NFC - No Figured Characteristics)

And my guess for what this is: A Green Latern.

Cost Powers

3 u) EB 10d6

3 u) Entangle 5d6, DEF 5

1 u) Flight 10"

1 u) Swimming 20"

I guess it is incumbent on me to have a go at this, isn't it? :) Not close to my rulebook and so am making a couple of assumptions...

You are a normal man and can do anything a normal person might expect to. Until that is you put on The Ring.

With the ring you become superhuman. You are immediately imbued with the strength of ten men, you are almost impervious to small arms fire and have increased powers of stamina and recovery. What is more, the ring provides you with the ability to survive in a range of hostile environments: heat, cold, lack of atmosphere or oxygen all pose no threat to you. Indeed, you can use the ring to provide the same protection for up to four other people.

But that is not all. The ring allows you to fly and, if you want to focus purely on travelling you can get somewhere fast. (would have put speeds in but did not want to presume SPD). And you can fly through water as easily as through the air but not quite so swiftly.

Finally the ring has a few other powers that you can use, though only one at a time. You can project force from your ring powerful enough to kill a man with a single blow. That force could also be used to bind someone such that they would not be able to move or to create a wall of force around you that would be completely impervious to small arms and to most rifle fire. Alternatively, it would allow you, when in space, to fly a million times faster than the speed of light or to instantly change the clothes that you wear.

With The Ring you are a force to be reckoned with but that all depends on you retaining posession of The Ring. If you are rendered helpless or unconcious, anyone could remove The Ring from your finger, there may be other situations where you could lose The Ring and all of your powers would immediately be lost.

Doc

Actually the combat speed in watter is twice as fast (thanks to swimming being cheaper). To bad it lacks Megascaled water movement.

Personally, I would have bought the swimming at the same scale as the flight as it would jar the storyline to suddenly be able to swim twice as fast in water as in the air.

It is possibly only when you try to describe narratively that some of those disconnects begin to be more apparent. The character creation process is pretty numerical and you are trying to fit your wants into the points available and sometimes you lose what should be the beginnings of a narrative thread which is why you end up buying twice as much swimming as flight - because the points say you can, not because the character demands that...

Doc

Personally' date=' I would have bought the swimming at the same scale as the flight as it would jar the storyline to suddenly be able to swim twice as fast in water as in the air. [/quote']

Ideal would have been "usable as swimming" (+1/4).

But I am also quite good at finding Gameworld/In Character reasons for things that are born out of the Rulesystem (why Desolid Movement prevents you from attacking). So I would say one of two thigns for this:

- The swimming is his top speed (equal to how megascaled Flight is his top speed in air), but his top speed is slower but more maneuverable.

- for some reason his ring works better at moving him through water. Perhaps it uses some specific quality of liquids and is somehow able to generate more speed.

But I am also quite good at finding Gameworld/In Character reasons for things that are born out of the Rulesystem (why Desolid Movement prevents you from attacking).

We all get used to doing things that way, sometimes too good at doing it.

It is my feeling that we should do it less and see how we can make the system do what the gameworld demands rather than the reverse.

Doc

First: That is 5E' date=' so I hope i get the stuff right.[/quote']

Yes it is. For the benefit of new people following along at home do you want to pick out some of the clues that tell you this isn't a 6th edition character?

Armor

This is resistant Protection, wich help surving Killing Attacks. It is provided by a Ring that is obviously indentifiable as the source of the power but hard to just snatch away during a fight.

The way it is build it might be a persistant Force Field of some kind - it protects you 24/7 but it will be noticed when you use it.

Well explained. So are several of your other breakdowns of specifics.

Multipower(note: cost are wrong)

Wrong how?

Multipower (20 Points) (Note: OIF Limitation is missing)

So it is. Maybe I should tell Cassandra. I'm sure she meant it to be there.

And my guess for what this is: A Green Latern.

I knew it wouldn't take long.

I guess it is incumbent on me to have a go at this, isn't it? :)

Doc

I don't know about incumbent but you did a great summary of the whole powerset.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary wants me to pick another power or powerset now.

Yes it is. For the benefit of new people following along at home do you want to pick out some of the clues that tell you this isn't a 6th edition character?

The powers Armor, EB and Forcewall. Use of " instead of meters. NFC on the STR.

And most notably: It is writeup of casandra!

Wrong how?

Nevermind. Actually made an error dividing 50/1.5 or perhaps somehow calculated 50/1.25 instead.

Submitted for Doc Democracy's approval:

Fang you Berry Much: (Total: 169 Active Cost, 19 Real Cost) Thorns of Legendary Viciousness - Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 2d6, Area Of Effect (1m Radius; +1/4), Constant (+1/2), Uncontrolled (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), +4 Increased STUN Multiplier (+1), Double Penetrating (x2; +1) (142 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Month, Growing time; -5), Limited Power Only attacks ONCE, when entering hex. (of course, attacks again if someone RE enters hex) (-1), IIF Expendable (Difficult to obtain new Focus; One seed, one bush; -1/2), Conditional Power Only grows in the growing season, and in appropriate climate and soil conditions (-1/2), No STR Bonus (-1/2), Reduced Penetration (-1/4) (Real Cost: 16) plus All but Impassible - Change Environment (-1 to either EGO or CON Roll to avoid backing out, -1 to STR Roll to push into hex, Long-Lasting Permanent), Area Of Effect (1m Radius; +1/4) (27 Active Points); Same seed, growing time, and growing conditions modifiers (-6), No Range (-1/2), Linked (Thorns of Legendary Viciousness; Greater Power is Constant or in use most or all of the time; -1/4) (Real Cost: 3)

Now available from QuestGuard, the land's leader in merit based security - The Fangberry Bush, the fastest growing trend in security landscaping! Looking for a way to protect your wizard's tower or hermit's cave from wandering monsters like annoying door to door solicitors or even more annoying clueless adventurers? Wondering how to prepare for possible misguided mobs of local peasants with pitchforks? Or have you just granted an entire castle's residents, especially the beautiful princess, the deepest and most restful sleep of their lives and want to make sure no one disturbs their slumber - ever?

Upon entering the All but Impassable area an intruder must make a STR roll at -1 to even force a way in. In the process, they suffer two 1d6 Killing Attacks that are double Penetrating and with +4 STUN Multiplier from the Thorns of Legendary Viciousness and the STUN damage adds together to make this hedge a truly Stunning addition to any enchanted garden. To avoid backing out - possibly right into an already-passed bush if you have made the hedge several meters thick - the intruder must roll against EGO or CON, again at a -1. This process must be repeated for every hex entered, so a swiftly moving intruder is simply shredded that much faster if the thicket is thick enough. Intruders have been known to stop in terror and confusion, afraid to move until the proprietor or a security patrol arrives to deal with them!

Just look at these testimonials!

"Perfect for keeping animals and children out of my garden. Except as fertilizer of course." Baba Yaga

"Now THAT'S the shrubbery we're talking about!" Knights who Said 'Ni!'

"Please don't throw me in THAT briar patch" Br'er Rabbit

"It's like a nightmare!" Princess Beauty

"Just what the Doctor ordered!" Igor

"Maybe this'll keep 'em out of my swamp." Shrek the Ogre

"I kinda like those berries." Princess Fiona

Now endorsed by BETTER GNOMES & GARGOYLES!

Note: the large and alluringly colored berries of fangberry bushes are ornamental and not meant for Human, Elven, or Dwarven consumption. Berries are known to have thaumaturgic properties and should only be handled by qualified alchemists, druids, witches, and apothecaries licensed to handle magical herbs. We accept no liability.

Lucius Alexander

copyright Palindromedary Enterprises - we sell more than just palindromedaries!

Submitted for Doc Democracy's approval:

And how could I say no?! :)

What I see here is a card in the GM's hand with the following information...

Fang you Berry Much: (Total: 169 Active Cost' date=' 19 Real Cost) Thorns of Legendary Viciousness - Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 2d6, Area Of Effect (1m Radius; +1/4), Constant (+1/2), Uncontrolled (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), +4 Increased STUN Multiplier (+1), Double Penetrating (x2; +1) (142 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Month, Growing time; -5), Limited Power Only attacks ONCE, when entering hex. (of course, attacks again if someone RE enters hex) (-1), IIF Expendable (Difficult to obtain new Focus; One seed, one bush; -1/2), Conditional Power Only grows in the growing season, and in appropriate climate and soil conditions (-1/2), No STR Bonus (-1/2), Reduced Penetration (-1/4) (Real Cost: 16) [b']plus[/b] All but Impassible - Change Environment (-1 to either EGO or CON Roll to avoid backing out, -1 to STR Roll to push into hex, Long-Lasting Permanent), Area Of Effect (1m Radius; +1/4) (27 Active Points); Same seed, growing time, and growing conditions modifiers (-6), No Range (-1/2), Linked (Thorns of Legendary Viciousness; Greater Power is Constant or in use most or all of the time; -1/4) (Real Cost: 3)

On a card for the player characters there is:

Now available from QuestGuard, the land's leader in merit based security - The Fangberry Bush, the fastest growing trend in security landscaping! Looking for a way to protect your wizard's tower or hermit's cave from wandering monsters like annoying door to door solicitors or even more annoying clueless adventurers? Wondering how to prepare for possible misguided mobs of local peasants with pitchforks? Or have you just granted an entire castle's residents, especially the beautiful princess, the deepest and most restful sleep of their lives and want to make sure no one disturbs their slumber - ever?

Upon entering the All but Impassable area an intruder must make a STR roll at -1 to even force a way in. In the process, they suffer two 1d6 Killing Attacks that are double Penetrating and with +4 STUN Multiplier from the Thorns of Legendary Viciousness and the STUN damage adds together to make this hedge a truly Stunning addition to any enchanted garden. To avoid backing out - possibly right into an already-passed bush if you have made the hedge several meters thick - the intruder must roll against EGO or CON, again at a -1. This process must be repeated for every hex entered, so a swiftly moving intruder is simply shredded that much faster if the thicket is thick enough. Intruders have been known to stop in terror and confusion, afraid to move until the proprietor or a security patrol arrives to deal with them!

Just look at these testimonials!

"Perfect for keeping animals and children out of my garden. Except as fertilizer of course." Baba Yaga

"Now THAT'S the shrubbery we're talking about!" Knights who Said 'Ni!'

"Please don't throw me in THAT briar patch" Br'er Rabbit

"It's like a nightmare!" Princess Beauty

"Maybe this'll keep 'em out of my swamp." Shrek the Ogre

"I kinda like those berries." Princess Fiona

Note: the large and alluringly colored berries of fangberry bushes are ornamental and not meant for Human, Elven, or Dwarven consumption. Berries are known to have thaumaturgic properties and should only be handled by qualified alchemists, druids, witches, and apothecaries licensed to handle magical herbs. We accept no liability.

There is no doubting your talent Lucius - the text is brilliant in what it does. Personally, I would not have come up with anything near as entertaining...

(Note to self: I need to rep more people so I can rep Lucius Alexander as often as he deserves...)

However I think I would have been stricter in separating the flavour from the mechanics - have friends arriving and so will submit suggestion later...

Doc

Eventually - time to get back to this...

Any intruder attempting to enter the All but Impassable area must force a way in. [1] The attempt, successful or not, will result in damage from the Thorns of Legendary Viciousness [2] making this hedge a truly Stunning addition to any enchanted garden. These thorns make any intruder think twice and only the bravest, or determined, will persevere to pass through the hedge. [3] These hedges are most effective planted in clumps, or Thikkits , so a swiftly moving intruder is simply shredded by each bush in the Thikkit. Intruders have been known to stop in the midst of a Thikkit in terror and confusion, afraid to move in any direction until the proprietor or a security patrol arrives to deal with them!

[1] - make a STR roll at -1

[2] - two 1d6 Killing Attacks, double Penetrating, +4 STUN Multiplier

[3] - make EGO or CON at -1

This one is from Susano.

First, a version I have stripped down to pure mechanics.

Val CHA Cost Roll Notes

13 STR 3 12- Lift 151.6kg; 2 ½d6 HTH Damage [1]

12 DEX 4 11-

15 CON 5 12-

8 INT -2 11- PER Roll 11-

8 EGO -2 11-

13 PRE 3 12- PRE Attack: 2 ½d6

4 OCV 5

4 DCV 5

3 OMCV 0

3 DMCV 0

3 SPD 10 Phases: 4, 8, 12

4 PD 2 Total: 4 PD (2 rPD)

4 ED 2 Total: 4 ED (2 rED)

6 REC 2

30 END 2

13 BODY 3

28 STUN 4

Total Characteristics Cost: 44

Movement: Running: 16m/32m

Leaping: 0m

Swimming: 8m/16m

Cost Powers & Skills

7 +15 STR; Only With Grab And Squeeze (-1), END 1

4 +2 PD/+2 ED, Resistant (+½); Requires A Roll (11- roll;

or Hit Locations 13-18; -½)

2 Knockback Resistance -2m

-2 Leaping -4m (total 0m)

4 Running +4m (16m total), END 1

2 Swimming +4m (8m total), END 1

Talents

3 +1/+1d6 Striking Appearance (vs. all

characters)

Skills

8 +1 with HTH Combat

7 Climbing 13-

0 Language: native for region (idiomatic)

2 Survival (Temperate/Subtropical) 11-

3 Tactics 11-

3 WF: Common Melee Weapons, Bows

Total Powers & Skills Cost: 45

Total Character Cost: 89

175+ Matching Complications (50)

10 Physical Complication: Large, roughly 5-7

meters long and 400 kg in weight (+2 to

attacker's OCV, +2 to others PER Rolls to

perceive) (Infrequently; Slightly

Impairing)

Total Complications Value: 50

Experience Points: 0

Here it is as Susano wrote it.

Val CHA Cost Roll Notes

13 STR 3 12- Lift 151.6kg; 2 ½d6 HTH Damage [1]

12 DEX 4 11-

15 CON 5 12-

8 INT -2 11- PER Roll 11-

8 EGO -2 11-

13 PRE 3 12- PRE Attack: 2 ½d6

4 OCV 5

4 DCV 5

3 OMCV 0

3 DMCV 0

3 SPD 10 Phases: 4, 8, 12

4 PD 2 Total: 4 PD (2 rPD)

4 ED 2 Total: 4 ED (2 rED)

6 REC 2

30 END 2

13 BODY 3

28 STUN 4

Total Characteristics Cost: 44

Movement: Running: 16m/32m

Leaping: 0m

Swimming: 8m/16m

Cost Powers & Skills

7 Coils: +15 STR; Only With Grab And Squeeze (-1), END 1

4 Serpent Person Scales: +2 PD/+2 ED,

Resistant (+½); Requires A Roll (11- roll;

or Hit Locations 13-18; -½)

2 Large Size: Knockback Resistance -2m

-2 Cannot Leap: Leaping -4m (total 0m)

4 Slithering: Running +4m (16m total), END 1

2 Amphibious Form: Swimming +4m (8m total), END 1

Talents

3 +1/+1d6 Striking Appearance (vs. all

characters)

Skills

8 +1 with HTH Combat

7 Climbing 13-

0 Language: native for region (idiomatic)

2 Survival (Temperate/Subtropical) 11-

3 Tactics 11-

3 WF: Common Melee Weapons, Bows

Total Powers & Skills Cost: 45

Total Character Cost: 89

175+ Matching Complications (50)

10 Physical Complication: Large, roughly 5-7

meters long and 400 kg in weight (+2 to

attacker's OCV, +2 to others PER Rolls to

perceive) (Infrequently; Slightly

Impairing)

Total Complications Value: 50

Experience Points: 0

That's only 11 words, but it gives a much clearer picture of what this is supposed to be doesn't it?

Lucius Alexander

the palindromedary wonders how many people can guess without looking

That's only 11 words' date=' but it gives a much clearer picture of what this is supposed to be doesn't it?[/quote']

I thought that snake was a posibility once I saw the limited bonus to STR. Only the sectional Defense and the SA irritated me out of it.

Would also build the entire "Constrictor Snake fighting style" as a Martial Arts rules construct.

the palindromedary wonders how many people can guess without looking

You can take me out of the successful guessers.

I struggled with matching the physical complication with the WF: Bows. A snake centaur is not your usual kind of creature and not one that sprang to my mind.

Even reading Susano's write-up it took me a decent amount of time before I brought the picture of what the character was to mind....

Doc

I'd been sitting on this, meaning to post it eventually (perhaps after doing more work on it.)

Dissecting Powers

2 1) Forensic Medicine 10-

2 2) Science Skill: Comparative Anatomy 11-

3 3) Instruments: (Total: 7 Active Cost, 3 Real Cost) Killing Attack - Ranged 1 point, Attack Versus Alternate Defense (Resistant PD; All Or Nothing; +0), +2 Increased STUN Multiplier (+1/2) (7 Active Points); OAF (Inaccessible because there's more than one in the kit - and because you don't want to grab a scalpel without an armored glove...; -1), No Range (-1/2) (Real Cost: 3)

But sitting on scalpels got uncomfortable.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary doesn't think I'm finished yet