The "Essay"(ESSE/UEH) Project(Warning: mature/controversial content contained herein)

megaplayboy

• Replies 824
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: The "Essay"(ESSE/UEH) Project(Warning: mature/controversial content contained her

Things I'd be interested in seeing, and examples of each:

1. Sexual-based magic. Not a list of powers, but descriptions of real-life and fictional approaches.

1a. Can tantric sex be used to influence people, alter physical ablities, etc.?

1b. The sexual appeal of vampires or other legendary creatures and its ramifications.

1c. Intense sexual pleasure can lead to direct communication with a deity of love.

2. Cultural types that have very different views on sexuality.

2a. Would long-lived creatures be less monogamous, or maybe just serial monogamous? 2000 years with only a single partner? If you haven't even seen a sibling for 2000 years, do you even care they are related, or just go ahead and jump in the sack with them?

2b. What if reproduction and sex were two different things, either physically or mentally? This could be a species thing, or technological as all reproduction by cloning centers or perfect contraception available.

2c. Sex = dominance and/or violence. Orcs don't ask, they take. Foreplay is unknown, and sexual pleasure unimportant.

3. Sexual dimorphism and/or more than 2 standard sexes like in Alien Nation.

3a. If one sex is much larger than other, then division of labor and power will be affected.

3b. If one sex is much smarter, or one is basically a drone, how do you treat them? How does that affect how you relate to other species.

4. If in any system you come up with, the females are smaller, dumber, lower caste, etc., how do you do this without coming off as a mysogynist? Conversely, if the males get the short end of the stick, how do you convince male players they are worthwhile and you aren't a male-hating PC nut?

5. Relationships between physically different characters. Uplifted canines, alien tentacle monsters, gnomes dating trolls. You have all the trouble of different upbringing and culture, your parts may not fit together all that well, and everyone thinks you are some type of sick pervert for doing it.

That's a good start for non-rules based discussions.

Some of the links above pertain to your first question. As to the vampire issue, I think, based on observations of the genre, vampires have a certain supernatural sexual magnetism to them, plus of course frequently having the ability to hypnotize or "glamor" humans. The implications and repercussions of this? Well, for one thing, even if a society technically tolerates their existence(ala true blood), the level of suspicion, jealousy and distrust would be pretty high. For another, vampires in genre are frequently depicted as enjoying the "fringe benefits" of their mega-sex appeal. A more interesting question might be, "Whither the unicorn/virginal female thing?"

The Olympian gods, as presented, are a pretty good example of a sexually omnivorous culture--everybody sleeps with everybody else(well, Hera gets pretty shortchanged), regardless of kinship, marital status, gender, age or species. They pay no genetic or legal price for inbreeding. Humans in the same family don't tend to have sex with each other because of cultural and religious taboos, but also because of something called the Westermarck effect---basically, family members who are in close proximity to each other during a critical development period tend not to experience sexual attraction to each other. OTOH, there is a phenomenon known as Genetic Sexual Attraction, wherein family members who are not in such close proximity growing up, who meet later as adults may experience mutual sexual attraction. (I'd also note that the incidence rate for some sexual interaction between people with prohibited degrees of consanguinuity is shockingly high--1-2% or more. ) So, if a High Elf hasn't seen their sibling in 2000 years, they might well experience sexual attraction, and if their species tends not to carry a lot of defective genes(being magical and nigh-immortal, this seems like it might be the case), their cultural mores might leave them free to squick away the hours together.

If reproduction and sex were two different things, it seems like this might have a major impact on sexual morality. Either sex would be strictly prohibited as decadent and unnecessary and impure, or it might be virtually unlimited, so long as parties were capable of giving consent. If cloning were the norm, and people emerged already grown from the clone tank(and with some basic cultural programming already uploaded into their brains), there might be a great deal of leisure time freed up due to having no need to take care of dependent children. More leisure time= more sexy-time.

Sex as dominance? Okay. Sex as violence? Even if this were the case for a culture in a setting, I think it's hard to bring up the R-word(rape) without threatening to blow up a game group. Rapist orcs would seem almost cartoonishly, one-dimensionally over the top evil to me, but YMMV. I guess if you want to encourage players to think of them as subhuman savages unworthy of ever being shown mercy, having them (offscreen) commit some unspeakable atrocity as a matter of routine would certainly get the point across.

One example of dimorphism in genre: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Futanari

E.G., an alien species, the Amazar, are akin to the Amazons of legend. Muscular, tall women, whose clitori may swell to penile dimensions when highly aroused, capable of impregnating each other(or even self-impregnating).

Multiple genders can certainly exist for a fictional species or race--the challenge is coming up with a discreet or non-crass way of describing how the genders are different, and what roles they play in their culture.

I think your 4th question is more directed at a question of playing with gender roles in a campaign, maybe not so much pertaining to romance, but I'll give it some thought. Generally I'd say the best approach is to clearly show a balance in description, and establish a rep for good faith with the players.

Inter-species dating, it seems to me, is just a more extreme form of "opposites attract" or "forbidden romance". But clearly, if these things do happen, it might be helpful as a GM to think about how different members of different cultures may view it, and work out how to convey that to the players.

Re: The "Essay"(ESSE/UEH) Project(Warning: mature/controversial content contained her

One way to create a race where there's a disparity of competence/power based on gender is to say that one gender(or some outside force) rigged it that way--via magic, genetic engineering, psionic manipulation or what have you. A plot hook could then involve figuring out a way to right the imbalance.

One way to create a race where there's a disparity of competence/power based on gender is to say that one gender(or some outside force) rigged it that way--via magic' date=' genetic engineering, psionic manipulation or what have you. A plot hook could then involve figuring out a way to right the imbalance.[/quote']

I like this kind of cosmic background mystery.

It reminds me of Transmetropolitan where Spider Jerusalem gets clued in to the grand over-arching corruption of "government" from the mere fact that (despite the fact that humanity is super-advanced) there is a great deal wrongness about "present conditions".

Not only are no women posting at all, but just three of us are responsible for 60% of the thread. Just four of us account for almost three quarters of all posts, and of those who do post in this thread, almost half have only posted once or twice.

Lucius Alexander

Responsible for 100% of the palindromedaries

Sausage Fest: Summon 50 point character (10 Active Points) x4 beings (+10), Amicable (+1/4), Expanded Class of Beings (gamers; +1/4) [30 Active Points]

-Arrives Under Own Power (-1/2), Extra Time (1 Turn; -1 1/4), Focus (some type of personal computer; -1/2 minimum), Gestures (must type; -1/4), Limited Power (male gamers only; -1/2), Requires a Roll (KS: Hero Games Discussion Board; -1/2), Summoned Being Must Inhabit Locale (-1/2), Side Effects (if Skill Roll is failed, female gamers actually show up; -1/4) Real Cost: 6 points

I wonder what the base times would be for:

1.) Dating-->becoming sexually involved

2.) Dating-->entering a relationship

3.) Dating-->entering a committed long-term relationship(or getting married)

Offhand, for modern settings, my guesses would be 1. about a month, 2. maybe 3 months, 3. 1 year

I think it's unlikely that a Charm roll would be required to enter these stages, and would probably leave it to roleplay, but perhaps if a party is deceiving or manipulating someone into making such a commitment, then it'd be appropriate. In that case, it seems like Acting or Persuasion might be complementary skill rolls for such attempts. I'd also apply bonuses according to "knowledge of the subject"(+1 to +3).

One thing that would affect gender roles is when you add Shape Shift to things. Imagine a human-appearing race with the added ability to shift between male and female forms, not androgynous in general appearance with only reproductive organs changing but very clearly male and female appearance in human terms. Would gender still have a meaning in such a society?

If reproduction and sex were two different things, it seems like this might have a major impact on sexual morality. Either sex would be strictly prohibited as decadent and unnecessary and impure, or it might be virtually unlimited, so long as parties were capable of giving consent. If cloning were the norm, and people emerged already grown from the clone tank(and with some basic cultural programming already uploaded into their brains), there might be a great deal of leisure time freed up due to having no need to take care of dependent children. More leisure time= more sexy-time.

I can't help but be reminded of the Barbarella movie for some reason.

JG

One thing that would affect gender roles is when you add Shape Shift to things. Imagine a human-appearing race with the added ability to shift between male and female forms' date=' not androgynous in general appearance with only reproductive organs changing but very clearly male and female appearance in human terms. Would gender still have a meaning in such a society?[/quote']

It depends upon whether cultural values/roles are assigned by "gender", in which case you take on a particular set of roles once you shift to male or female. For example, a mated pair of shifters could have one become female and pregnant, and the other take on a protector/provider role during that period.

I wonder what the base times would be for:

1.) Dating-->becoming sexually involved

2.) Dating-->entering a relationship

3.) Dating-->entering a committed long-term relationship(or getting married)

Offhand, for modern settings, my guesses would be 1. about a month, 2. maybe 3 months, 3. 1 year

In my experience:

1.) hours... roughly 6 (the better part of an evening... not the best part, obviously).

2.) days... roughly 7 (after a solid week... if you've been good... I'd kill a man for you, easy).

3.) weeks... roughly 12 (e.g., a summer of love that lasts forever).

Romantic motivations

I listed some romantic subplots a while ago, but wanted to touch on this sub-topic--what sort of romantic motivations might compel a hero/villain?

1. I need to win the heart of X--...and think I can do it by being a hero/villain

2. I had X, lost X, need to get back to X--e.g., Silver Surfer--longs to return to his beloved Shalla Bal

3. My power is a curse and I need to cure/get rid of it in order to have a normal relationship with X--e.g. Hulk, Thing

4. I seek power and fame so that I can have anyone I want

5. X has spurned me and out of anger and revenge I'll become a villain!

6. Y killed X, and out of my need for justice I'll become a hero/vigilante

7. Hedonism--wine, women and song--pleasure is the only worthwhile pursuit, and heroism/villainy is a means to this end

8. Underneath this jaded exterior is a wounded heart, ready to love again

9. Pie! I need to make a decision about which one I want to be with(typical harem anime theme) AND stop the bad guy/girl(and they might be a viable choice as well).

10. Carrying a torch for a teammate

Romantic motivations

I listed some romantic subplots a while ago, but wanted to touch on this sub-topic--what sort of romantic motivations might compel a hero/villain?

1. I need to win the heart of X--...and think I can do it by being a hero/villain

Dr. Horrible! :D

Generic Hunk(or Generic Fitness Babe)

15 STR 5

12 DEX 4

15 CON 5

8 INT -2

8 EGO -2

15 PRE 5

4 OCV 5

4 DCV 5

3 OMCV 0

3 DMCV 0

3 SPD 10

5 PD 3

5 ED 3

6 REC 4

30 END 2

26 STUN 3

10 BODY 0

+2 meters running, +1 meter swimming: 3 points

I Can Do this for hours: Half End on STR, only for intimate activities: 2 points

Skills and Talents:

Really Easy on the Eyes: +2 Striking Appearance--6 points

Charm 12- , 3 points

Conversation 12-, 3 points

PS: Doing Romantic Stuff, 11- , 2 points

KS: Own Profession, 12-, 3 points

Persuasion 12-, 3 points

KS: Sexual Technique, 12-, 3 points

PS: Perform Sexual Technique, 12-, 3 points

Good in a Fight: +1 d6 Hand to Hand Attack, 3 points

Combat Luck(3PD/ED), 6 points

Miscellaneous options: 10 points worth of Martial Arts, Luck, Wealth, Streetwise, High Society, etc.

100 points

75+ Complications

10 distinctive features, noticeable--hunky guy(or hot fitness babe), concealable

15 various --In love with PC/Romantic Rivalry/Unluck/Protective of X/etc.

Reduced END only for intimate activities is a -1 limitation, right?

This raises some questions. How would you determine performance ability when speaking of intimate acts for a character? Maybe Long-Term Endurance rules come into effect? What about gender differences on performance?

Reduced END only for intimate activities is a -1 limitation, right?

This raises some questions. How would you determine performance ability when speaking of intimate acts for a character? Maybe Long-Term Endurance rules come into effect? What about gender differences on performance?

to address these questions:

1. Assume non-virgin adults have the Everyman KS and PS: Sexual Technique, on 8-(virgins, 6-). Partners who are familiar with each other may get a bonus to the roll. For being in the mood, another bonus. Succeeding on a Charm roll may give a bonus as well. This is an unopposed skill check, probably at a +0 modifier, getting easier if partners have greater familiarity/intimacy. Success means the character performed reasonably satisfactorily, critical success means their performance was particularly noteworthy or memorable.

2. LTE burn rate will vary according to the intensity of the lovemaking, but it seems like a burn rate of between 1 per minute and 1 per 20 minutes would be appropriate. For the net effect of the reduced end talent, just move the burn rate down one time increment(i.e., for intense lovemaking, 1 per 5 minutes instead of 1 per minute; for average intensity lovemaking(whatever that might mean), 1 per 20 minutes instead of 1 per 5 minutes; for slow, low-intensity lovemaking, 1 per hour instead of 1 per 20 minutes). There might be some slight gender differences in performance--perhaps women burn at 2/3 or 1/2 the rate(unless it's a position that makes her do the work), and you'd multiply the base period accordingly.

Orgasm, generally, involves involuntary muscle contractions and a flood of oxytocin. The effect is comparable to being "stunned", and it takes time to recover. It seems likely that this would also burn some LTE, maybe from 1 to 1d6 depending on intensity. Based on wiki, refractory period also plays a role, with refractory period for a teenage male being about 15 minutes, average male being about half an hour, and for a 70 year old male, about 20 hours. As noted, some lucky bastards have either no refractory period or one lasting as little as 10 seconds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refractory_period_(sex)

Orgasm, generally, involves involuntary muscle contractions and a flood of oxytocin. The effect is comparable to being "stunned", and it takes time to recover. It seems likely that this would also burn some LTE, maybe from 1 to 1d6 depending on intensity. Based on wiki, refractory period also plays a role, with refractory period for a teenage male being about 15 minutes, average male being about half an hour, and for a 70 year old male, about 20 hours. As noted, some lucky bastards have either no refractory period or one lasting as little as 10 seconds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refractory_period_(sex)

Orgasmatron!!!

Hard to Get Babe

10 STR 0

15 DEX 10

15 CON 5

15 INT 5

15 EGO 5

15 PRE 5

4 OCV 5

4 DCV 5

3 OMCV 0

5 DMCV 6

3 SPD 10

5 PD 3

5 ED 2

6 REC 2

30 END 2

30 STUN 5

10 BODY 0

(70)

Talents and Powers

+2 m running, +1 m swimming, 3 points

Totally Worth Chasing After: +3 Striking Appearance, 9 points

She's Not Going to Fall for a Line like that:+3 to resist Charm, 3 points

Not Easily Impressed: +10 PRE, only to resist PRE attacks, 5 points

Steel in her Spine: +10 EGO, only to resist Mind Control, 5 points

Strong Willed: +10 Mental Defense, only to resist Mind Control, 5 points

(30)

Skills

3 Charm 12-

3 Conversation 12-

3 Brawling, +1d6 HA

10 I can handle myself just fine, thanks: pick 3 martial arts maneuvers

3 AK: Local Region, 12-

3 CK: Campaign City, 12-

3 Streetwise, 12-

3 High Society, 12-

3 KS: Sexual Technique, 12-

3 PS: Perform Sexual Technique, 12-

3 PS: Own Profession(typically: Reporter, Businesswoman, Police Officer, Lawyer, Musician, etc.)

5 I've got money of my own, I don't need you to buy me anything: Comfortable

5 1d6 Luck

25 Various skills and abilities to personalize the character

125+ complications

15 Distinctive Features, causes major reaction(very attractive, impressive woman)

10 Unluck 2d6

15 Stalked by ex-boyfriend or similarly annoying pest

10 Dislikes womanizers and playboys

The HTGB is designed to be difficult to charm, seduce or super-seduce into going out with an interested PC. Difficult, but far from impossible. It will likely require more role-play than roll-play, and a fair amount of patience, to succeed.

The distaff version, the Hard to Get Hunk, should be pretty similar in writeup, perhaps with the extra points spent to make them more combat-competent. Either is a suitable peer for a heroic PC, or a suitable competent DNPC for a superheroic(or superheroic-level) PC.

Sex as dominance? Okay. Sex as violence? Even if this were the case for a culture in a setting' date=' I think it's hard to bring up the R-word(rape) without threatening to blow up a game group.[/quote']

If the campaign is about playing orcs and other evil races AND being evil, then I would expect murder, thievery, and rape to occur. Maybe even cannibalism. It might be done to the PCs, by the PCs, or just to NPCs they know. I would never play in this type of campaign myself, but playing the bad guys does seem to be popular.

Rapist orcs would seem almost cartoonishly, one-dimensionally over the top evil to me, but YMMV. I guess if you want to encourage players to think of them as subhuman savages unworthy of ever being shown mercy, having them (offscreen) commit some unspeakable atrocity as a matter of routine would certainly get the point across.

Frankly, if they aren't one-dimensionally evil, they aren't orcs. As far as I am concerned, that is part of the definition of the species. And yes, subhuman savages is a very good description of them. They aren't PCs - they are throw-away mooks.

If the campaign is about playing orcs and other evil races AND being evil, then I would expect murder, thievery, and rape to occur. Maybe even cannibalism. It might be done to the PCs, by the PCs, or just to NPCs they know. I would never play in this type of campaign myself, but playing the bad guys does seem to be popular.

Frankly, if they aren't one-dimensionally evil, they aren't orcs. As far as I am concerned, that is part of the definition of the species. And yes, subhuman savages is a very good description of them. They aren't PCs - they are throw-away mooks.

That's fine, I think I was mainly alluding to having zero interest in working out the mechanics of sexual assault. There's already a Game That Must Not Be Named for that. Having the PCs deal with an NPC who's been assaulted, or saving an NPC from an imminent assault, probably won't blow up a game group. Having a PC get sexually assaulted(or, worse, having one doing the assaulting) likely will.

Orcs, as a stand-in for any Other race in fantasy(maybe sci-fi as well), can be anything from one-dimensional mindless evil brutes to "noble savages" and "civilized but misunderstood" sophisticates. It just depends on what the players/GM want. I once played a "high kobold" who was orphaned as a child, raised by a human noble, highly educated and trained in fencing, who rode around on a thoroughbred racehorse, carried a masterwork sabre, perfumed, well-dressed and well-mannered, with his box of snuff and wrapped bits of chocolate. Don't want this thread to digress on a discussion of non-human civilization, except perhaps as regards love, romance, courtship, sexual habits and erotic lore(whatever that might be).

I can't recall if it was brought up in the thread yet, but has any discussion been made about complications yet?

Some are obvious when talking about attraction and romance such as Distinctive Features and "In Love With" or "Lecherous" Psychological Complications. Negative reputations like "Playboy" are also possible in some settings. Would it be a Negative Reputation on a woman to put "Easy" or is that more of a Social Complication?

One I thought could be interesting was from 5E's Dark Champions, a Physical Limitation called "Poor Social Skills" which was a -1 on all interaction skills. Perhaps even more extreme versions of this could be had, but a -1 seems serious enough.

What other attraction or romantic complications ate possible?

Super Hot Indistinguishability:

+10 w/ all Interaction Skills due in part from being indistinguishable from all other "Super Hot" people. [40 character points]

Super Hot Anonymity:

Perk: Deep Cover "A Super Hot person." [2 character points]

I can't recall if it was brought up in the thread yet, but has any discussion been made about complications yet?

Some are obvious when talking about attraction and romance such as Distinctive Features and "In Love With" or "Lecherous" Psychological Complications. Negative reputations like "Playboy" are also possible in some settings. Would it be a Negative Reputation on a woman to put "Easy" or is that more of a Social Complication?

One I thought could be interesting was from 5E's Dark Champions, a Physical Limitation called "Poor Social Skills" which was a -1 on all interaction skills. Perhaps even more extreme versions of this could be had, but a -1 seems serious enough.

What other attraction or romantic complications ate possible?

I think we've touched on it. Most complications have two qualifying elements: frequency and severity. For example, normally "In love with X" is considered a "Common, Strong" psych lim. However, if a character were obsessively, devotedly and unconditionally in love with X, would do anything to please them, including breaking the law or putting their life or the lives of others at risk, that might be "Madly in love with X" or "Loves X unconditionally, would do anything for them", and be "Very Common, Total". Social Complications can include "dark secrets"(e.g., involved in a forbidden romance, engages in a taboo paraphilia or fetish, having an illegitimate demon child, being a closeted homosexual in Victorian England, etc.), "alternate sexuality"(the character's orientation/preferences are known and the character is subject to discriminatory scrutiny and social opprobrium--this could include being promiscuous, in a culture that disdains promiscuity), "unsavory profession"(character is a stripper, prostitute, a witch, or in some eras, an actress--subject to social censure and discrimination), "ethnic minority"(or being a woman in most pre-20th century cultures), "slave/concubine/sex slave/android/etc."(character has limited or no civil rights and their freedom of action is tightly constrained), and so forth.

Negative Rep may simply cause a mildly adverse reaction--Playboy is likely to be at this level--or a more extreme reaction--Depraved Debauchee or Notorious Nymphet Chaser (or Known Pedophile). Whether being promiscuous counts as negative rep depends on the campaign setting.

If a character has a particularly strong affinity for a "type"--"Sucker for Busty Asian Beauties"--then that is likely to a) impose a penalty upon them when interacting with those who meet the criteria, and B) make any limited group SA that is suitably defined applicable against them. It also may, in campaigns where PCs aren't normally affected by interaction skills, make them susceptible to them when coming from the defined preferred "type". Why? Because it's a Complication, and a complication that doesn't adversely affect the character in some situations isn't worth any points.

Super Fine:

Invisibility to Sight Group, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½) (30 Active Points); Requires A PRE Roll (-½), Only Works In Groups of Super Fine People (-½). Total cost: 15 points.

~ Mister E (Haven't you ever seen a group of super fine people vanish into thin air?")