Got Grimoire?

Alcamtar

I just did, and the verdict is...

COOL! I like it a lot. Forget what I said in a previous thread about having mixed feelings. It's not quite what I expected, but it's better. I was pleasantly surprised to find it included a few magic items and potions. :) There are a lot of really cool spell ideas too.

So, kudos to Steve! I can't want for Minion and Marauders.

BTW I don't think I ever said how much I like Fantasy Hero. Err, maybe I did, but it bears repeating. Excellent stuff!

Mike

[grumpy old man] "In my day, we didn't have handy supplements to help us with magic in FH! In my day, we had to create a magic system from scratch, and write all the spells out in chicken blood! And we didn't have any 'computers' or 'calculators' either. We did all the math in base 8 using roman numerals! And that's the way it was, and we liked it!" [/grumpy old man]

Seriously, this sounds great. I'll be picking this up very soon.

Originally posted by BishopofB&W

This is the perfect companion to the UNTIL Superpowers Database. Great job!

Now I just need my Ultimate fix. Ultimate Mystic and Ultimate Mentalist 5th edition!!!!!:)

According to the print schedule for the "Ultimate" line, it may be a while before either of those are available. But perhaps The Ultimate Brick will tide you over - it's tentatively scheduled for early 2004. :)

I just love having all this pre-gen stuff like USPD and the Grimoire. Quite apart from being a time-saver and idea generator, it's so satisfying to shove under the noses of HERO nay-sayers who whine about character creation taking forever. :D

Maybe the organization could have been different in the Grimoire

It's a tad hard to get to all the, say, protection, spells as they're scattered about between the various categories as Fire magic, Earth magic, etc. That's OK if you're doing magic based on elements, but not everyone is. I'd have preferred that the spells be grouped more by the power used (Armor,

or Force Field, or Change Environment, etc) or by intent of the spell (protect character, damage others, find out information, etc)

The spells themselves are pretty good. If I had to make a suggestion here, it'd be to put in a section of "really neat" spells (either in effects or in method of construction) just to demonstrate the true versatility of the system.

A sequel? Hey, no one ever mentioned a sequel.

Well, there's no sequel on the schedule or anything. It's just something I'm plinking away at in my "copious" spare time as the mood strikes me and the desire to put aside the normal day's work for an evening arises. But assuming it were to be a 128-page book, I've already got about a third of it written by my rough count, so the odds are good it'll see the light of day eventually. It covers a variety of types of magic, some popular and some rather obscure, that the FHG doesn't.

According to the print schedule for the "Ultimate" line, it may be a while before either of those are available.

In point of fact, The Ultimate Mystic is scheduled to come out just about exactly a year from now. It and UB are the two Ultimates on the schedule for next year. Depending on how it all works out we may try to wedge another one in there, but they take a lot of work, so that's not guaranteed.

The Ultimate Mentalist is, like The Ultimate Skill or FHG2 or G&G, one of those books I plink away at as the mood takes me. ;)

I picked mine up today. Steve has done it again! Congrats to him and the HERO gang for another great product. The art is impressive. Sometimes I set these new editions next to the stuff I bought in 1982-1992 and marvel at how far the game has come.

We are in good hands.

Re: Maybe the organization could have been different in the Grimoire

Originally posted by buynoski

It's a tad hard to get to all the, say, protection, spells as they're scattered about between the various categories as Fire magic, Earth magic, etc. That's OK if you're doing magic based on elements, but not everyone is. I'd have preferred that the spells be grouped more by the power used (Armor,

or Force Field, or Change Environment, etc) or by intent of the spell (protect character, damage others, find out information, etc)

That would be a really useful product for some hard-working fan to put together. List all the spells in the grimoire by different categories.

Examples:

Active Points

Protective

Combat

Difficult focuses vs easy focuses

and so forth.

Or suggest spells in other arcana that might reasonably be added to an existing one if you tweak the special effect a tad.

Of course, I don't have any free time :), but somebody might...

buynoski?

Bueller?

Bueller?

Bueller?

Derek?

Keith "shirking the burden" Curtis

How about an online Grimoire like the online USPD. It could be interesting to see the type of spells we GM and players can come up with. As a supplement there could also be a online magic item list too. Okay, I know you guys at Hero are really busy and don't need one more distraction like scanning through stuff we send in to determine postabilty, so I understand if something like this doesn't happen. After all I enjoy having great books like the Grimoire to use and want to see more of them.

G

Right now, the Online USPD is about all I can manage on top of my other duties. The concept of "spells" is so wide-open that I think an Online Grimoire could get really big (and potentially really unfocused) very quickly, so I'd rather not tackle anything like that just now. But perhaps in the future sometime.

Awesome , Amazing , Spetacular , etc ...

I know , I know , but Marvel Comics steals the best lines :) .

The Fanatsy Hero Grimoire is great . The Spells gave me more Ideas for Adventures than for Characters and the organization was just fine thank you . If you want to put toghter an OnLine Spell Lists that would probably satisfy most of us :) ...Probably .

I will confess to using HERO Sytem exclusively for Superhero RPGing , But YOUR products make it easy to make all my Campaigns Convert to HERO .

Keep up the FANTASTIC work folks .

And make mine a HERO by DoJ .

P.S. : Please give consideration towards the creation of the OnLine Grimoire/Spell Lists .

Thanks QM

We don't have any immediate plans to create an FHG Character Pack, for a couple of reasons:

1. AFAIK, no one person used HD to check every single spell, as someone did with the USPD powers. That means we don't immediately have access to something we can make arrangements to use.

2. The USPD Character Pack, while it's sold reasonably well, hasn't sold well enough to make us want to go out of our way and incur additional expenses to create another such product.