Rings of Power

TheNaga

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Rings of Power

What would be a good way to go about figuring out how he will look like after he through transforming. I am thinking that he will gain the following features while he is still transforming?. His thickly muscled legs resemble the legs of a ram, a beard that grows in tufts (something like the catfish's lower whiskers), multiple wicked chains will be wrapped around his chest and torso, his wings will be dragon-like in appearance, a six feet long tail will sprout from the end of his spine, ending in a sharp poisonous stinger, and a double row of razor sharp pointed that line his long deep extremely strong jaws. Should his right arm in the end look like the left arm? The enormous left arm is bestial in appearance and long enough to drag on the ground. The left hand has five fingers and a thumb that each end in a large sharp claw that resembles a knife blade. The right arm is normal in appearance except for a housing for a long tentacle that is within his right arm. Here is where I got the idea for his enormous left arm. In 3.5 and earlier editions the creature in the link is a Yagnoloth. http://images.wikia.com/forgottenrealms/images/b/b7/Yagnodemon.jpg

I think it is safe to say that everyone that has been patiently trying to answer your questions in this thread have done so in hopes of one day being witness to you having your "HERO aha moment".

What something looks like is just a Special Effect. The rules of HERO have nothing to say on the matter. You just need to decide.

The rules of HERO are ALL about the mechanics of how a character's ability work, NOT what they look like.

...still waiting...

Where can I find the info on how to handle poisons so I can create his poisonous stinger's damage and his poisonous breath? He got the poison based attacks from his poison based ring which is a a brilliant emerald ring which he wears on right thumb. Here is his powers and abilities based his size and basic appearance.

• 6 Greater Mass: +3 BODY
  • 6 Heavy: Knockback Resistance -3”
  • 5 More Impressive: +5 PRE
  • 12 Long Legs: Running +6”
  • 3 Tougher: +3 PD
  • 4 Reach: Stretching 1”
  • 4 Super-Strong Lungs: Life Support (Extended Breathing: 1 END per 20 Minutes)
  • -5 Physical Limitation: Large, up to twice human size and/or mass (4m, or 2”) (character is at -2 DCV, and others receive +2 on their PER Rolls to perceive him) (Infrequently, Slightly Impairing)

tap...tap...tap...

is this mike on?

"Poison", "Stinger" and "Breath" are ALL just different Special Effects.

How to model them in HERO is a question answered by YOU deciding what you want them to do mechanics wise with the HERO toolbox.

...still holding breath for the aha moment....

my face has already turned BLUE :D

Where can I find the info on how to handle poisons so I can create his poisonous stinger's damage and his poisonous breath?

In most games these are built with NND (LS: Immunity) so that anyoen with he right Posion Immunity or Total Immuntiy to posions is not affected.

The Stingers Posion would propably be linked to the stingers attack.

The poision breath could be Damage shield, a Area of Effect centered on him or any form of Ranged attack.

I guess it would make little sense to give both posions the same effect. You shoudl varry the somewhat:

In on does Damage (NND's only dealö STUN damage), the other could be a drain. Or maybe a different form of Posions, something like a Skin Contact poision?

When you are not certain what to take, just take one Posion that does STUN damage and leave the other part for later.

He got the poison based attacks from his poison based ring which is a a brilliant emerald ring which he wears on right thumb. Here is his powers and abilities based his size and basic appearance.

• 6 Greater Mass: +3 BODY
  • 6 Heavy: Knockback Resistance -3”
  • 5 More Impressive: +5 PRE
  • 12 Long Legs: Running +6”
  • 3 Tougher: +3 PD
  • 4 Reach: Stretching 1”
  • 4 Super-Strong Lungs: Life Support (Extended Breathing: 1 END per 20 Minutes)
  • -5 Physical Limitation: Large, up to twice human size and/or mass (4m, or 2”) (character is at -2 DCV, and others receive +2 on their PER Rolls to perceive him) (Infrequently, Slightly Impairing)

Shouldn't he also get +3 ED from "thougher"? And shouldn't he have higher STR to compensate for his higher weight? My books don't have the example templates, but you should check those values again. I think you miss at least 1/4 of the stuff.

Polishing a moon is too powerful for characters except for Angels' date=' Gods and Goddesses, and Demons.[/quote']

That's something. You always can create a list of stuff you don't want characters being able to do. I got ot say that strength has always seemed the easist to limit because of the lifting chart. Where as other characteristics can be dependent on other circumstances. Such as, well if I want my guy to shrug off small ammo rounds, and the highest small caliber listed does 2D6+1, then I must have at least 13 resistant defenses. Do you have an idea of what the maximum a character could do trick wise? Forget the mechanics for a second and just describe narratively what a character could do?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]44335[/ATTACH]

http://www.puzzlering.com/PhotoDetails.asp?ShowDESC=N&ProductCode=Puzzle-Rings-4WSM

The Puzzle of 4 Furies

anyone that dons this ring will be transformed into

a 5 headed hydra with thick scales that crawls on its belly

the ring bearer will remain in control of the body

while the other heads are fiercely loyal no range agents

each head have iconic characteristic representing greed, fear, hate, and war

That's something. You always can create a list of stuff you don't want characters being able to do. I got ot say that strength has always seemed the easist to limit because of the lifting chart. Where as other characteristics can be dependent on other circumstances. Such as' date=' well if I want my guy to shrug off small ammo rounds, and the highest small caliber listed does 2D6+1, then I must have at least 13 resistant defenses. Do you have an idea of what the maximum a character could do trick wise? Forget the mechanics for a second and just describe narratively what a character could do?[/quote']Making it rain enough fire and brimstone to destroy New York City buildings and inhabitants is pretty powerful trick which I could only see my Ifrit character or an Angel, God (Mythological) or Demon (98% are fallen angels) being able to do.

Transforming my Ifrit character from an male Iranian to an Ifrit permanently is a powerful trick as well. Becoming as tall as a the tallest mountain is also pretty powerful. (Mount Everest is 29,028 feet, or 5 and a half miles above sea level. This is equivalent to the size of almost 20 Empire State Buildings).

Making it rain enough fire and brimstone to destroy New York City buildings and inhabitants is pretty powerful trick which I could only see my Ifrit character or an Angel, God (Mythological) or Demon (98% are fallen angels) being able to do.

Transforming my Ifrit character from an male Iranian to an Ifrit permanently is a powerful trick as well. Becoming as tall as a the tallest mountain is also pretty powerful. (Mount Everest is 29,028 feet, or 5 and a half miles above sea level. This is equivalent to the size of almost 20 Empire State Buildings).

To which I can only say "so what?" What bearing does this have on the actual game? "Raining enough fire to destroy a city" seems like something that's been done by man a couple of times in human history. In comics, it seems like something many cosmic-level characters could accomplish. The only relevant questions, however, are:

(a) is it something you envision your character being able to do?

(B) is it something the game in which you expect to play the character would find acceptable, or overpowered?

"Becoming as tall as the highest mountain" could be a huge amount of Growth with numerous stat enhancements, or something done only for show (+X PRE and MegaScale Speech), or many things in between. So you need to start with what actual in game impact you want "Becoming as tall as the highest mountain" to have. If what you envision that ability granting is overpowered for the specific game (or just the specific character), then it is not an acceptable ability.

Ok let me try this angle' date=' what supervillian or hero the character can take on? Or like to emulate?[/quote']With all the rings at his disposal he could take on Thor.
To which I can only say "so what?" What bearing does this have on the actual game? "Raining enough fire to destroy a city" seems like something that's been done by man a couple of times in human history. In comics' date=' it seems like something many cosmic-level characters could accomplish. The only relevant questions, however, are: (a) is it something you envision your character being able to do? (B) is it something the game in which you expect to play the character would find acceptable, or overpowered? "Becoming as tall as the highest mountain" could be a huge amount of Growth with numerous stat enhancements, or something done only for show (+X PRE and MegaScale Speech), or many things in between. So you need to start with what actual in game impact you want "Becoming as tall as the highest mountain" to have. If what you envision that ability granting is overpowered for the specific game (or just the specific character), then it is not an acceptable ability.[/quote']Becoming as tall as Mount Everest is the tallest someone with the Growth power can become.

With all the rings at his disposal he could take on Thor. Becoming as tall as Mount Everest is the tallest someone with the Growth power can become.

There is no such limit. Maybe the growth table only goes taht far, but that is not a limit. It's just how far they wrote it up until you figure out how the costs change between levels.

And nothing in the book prevents me from just growing without positive effect (only get's easier to hit, not stronger, heavier or anything else).

What is a 100 times more important for any game, is if the grown character still fits into the campaign limits for STR, PD, ED, CON, Body and the like.

Hope you were refereing to Marvel's Thor!

http://www.sysabend.org/champions/gnborh/text/Thor-ms.txt

http://www.sysabend.org/champions/gnborh/text/Thor-sb.txt

http://www.sysabend.org/champions/gnborh/text/Thor-mi.txt

These Thor are taking from the Great Netbook of superheroes. And they are written up in 4thed. They should give at least a starting point for you power level, DC, and defs

Enjoy!

• 2 months later...

What would be some suggestions besides great strength, endurance, constitution, and PD/ED for the Ring of the Titans? This rings as powers based on the Titians of Greek mythology. This is the first ring he finds and he finds this rings in ruins of ancient Greek site. .

Considering there were 12 Titans (plus I believe some of their children were also considered Titans) it seems like you have lots of options to play with. So it depends what powers YOU envision the Titans having. Practically, the original Titans of Myth are much like a pantheon of deities, each having specific powers and abilities the others lack.