Rings of Power

TheNaga

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Rings of Power

Original is overrated. What powers do you want the character to have?

At a minimum, you need an attack power, a defensive power, and a movement power. It's not necessary for all of these to come from the rings - a character could rely on Martial Arts, Combat Luck and Running instead.

Are the rings technological or magical?

I was thinking that the character knows Martial Arts. The Character will born in Europe. . I would like one ring to have as one of its power the ability to fly. How about if four of the rigs are elemental base in their powers and abilities. The ring are magical and a few alter the wears appearance, I know that his eyes become luminous, sulfuric yellow orbs from wearing one of the rings.

Ring Powers that come to mind -

Summon Blue Hedgehog

Engagement Ring - Transform - Girlfriend into Fiance (or Ex) OR Mind Control (Males Only, Set Effect "RUN AWAY!!!!!")

Ring the Bell, Win a Prize! - +10d6 HTH Attack (Physical Manifestation - two-handed Hammer)

Ring Around the Rosie - NND (Plague) Attack, does BODY

The Squared Circle - MA Maneuvers (Boxing, Skills as Powers)

Ring of Fire - AoE Fire Attack, Continuous, No Range, Hole in the Middle/Personal Immunity

Ring of Truth - Mind Control, Set Effect (Tell me the Truth)

That Rings a Bell - Eidetic Memory, Activation Roll

Dead Ringer - Shapeshift, only to form of someone nearby/touched

Ring the Bell to Enter - Lockpicking 21-

Tinnitis (Ringing in the ears) - Flash Hearing Group, Continuous

Five Goooooold Rings - minor Wealth/Resources Perk

The One Ring - Invisibility/Extra-Dimensional Movement with Side Effect (Draw attention of Sauron/RingWraiths)

All Wrung Out - Drain END

Give Me a Ring - functions as cell phone/communications device

Ring Through the Nose - 20d6 Mind Control

Ring Mail - Armor

I would like the him to be able to summon armor from the rings which protect him from harm. Should this summoned armor enhance any of his Characteristics?

Well, it seems reasonable it would enhance his defenses.

What the armor should do depends on what you envision it doing and what points are available to the character. It could provide all his powers so the rings are only there to permit him to assume his armored OIAD form. It could just give him 5/5 Resistant Defenses. It could provide a Hand Attack because it's harder than his fists, Denisty Increase because it makes him heavier and Growth because it's bigger than the character. It could do anything in between, or any of hundreds of other choices. The armor is only a special effect for the powers you want the armor to grant.

In other words, what Hyper Man said!

I am using this as a start on what the armor will look like. I have to change the description up become it is most of the description of my Godling character who was encased in armor as punishment,

Should any of the rings enhance his STR, Body, END, DEX, and SPD?

He is a humanoid shaped creature that towers nine feet in height that is encased in sinister blood-red plate armor that is a living part of him. His helmet-like head looks like the head of some monstrous beast with bladed horns. Eerie white-hot fire blazes from within his eye sockets. Eleven-inch dagger-shaped teeth protrude from both heads’ upper jaws. These teeth are tapered to an edge on both the front and the back cusps. The pauldron are in the shape of a gruesome looking blood-red skull. The gauntlets are clawed. The poleyne are covered with wicked spikes.

Why not create your character to the maximum points for the game and post it and we can comment on it? Base it on 400 points and 60 active points maximum.

The idea with Hero is you do not pick a description of a monster you like and then try and make a Hero character out if it (99% of your requests are like this).

You pick a theme yourself and fill the character with skill and powers etc and then write a description of that character when you finish. As you may not have the points for the monsters you describe and some of the decriptions may not exist as you have to sacrifice them for useful powers. There is no point saying he has "Eleven-inch dagger-shaped teeth" which sounds like a KA when you finaly have a character who has no points for a teeth KA.

It is also good to start on one character and finish that character for one game. It just looks like you are trying to create a character based on about 20 monsters and none of them get finshed and you jump onto another monster / devil / evil god etc.

These forums are to help you finish off characters or help with a power build not build characters from scratch. You have to build it yourself.

What does yout games master think of your previous characters? He may prefer not to have a character that looks so evil if you are playing a hero on the side of good.

Also have you played any games of Hero recently with your characters? What did the GM and players think?

The GM and players are possibly the best people to help you with this one.

Or why don't you pick one of the many premade characters on these forums you like and play one of those. You could make up your own description of the character based on their powers.

I am using this as a start on what the armor will look like. I have to change the description up become it is most of the description of my Godling character who was encased in armor as punishment,

Should any of the rings enhance his STR, Body, END, DEX, and SPD?

He is a humanoid shaped creature that towers nine feet in height that is encased in sinister blood-red plate armor that is a living part of him. His helmet-like head looks like the head of some monstrous beast with bladed horns. Eerie white-hot fire blazes from within his eye sockets. Eleven-inch dagger-shaped teeth protrude from both heads’ upper jaws. These teeth are tapered to an edge on both the front and the back cusps. The pauldron are in the shape of a gruesome looking blood-red skull. The gauntlets are clawed. The poleyne are covered with wicked spikes.

What an ability looks like (like armor) and what it does mechanically within the rules of the Hero System (like provide defenses) are not required to be linked together in any way.

That is, you can choose it to LOOK like whatever you want & that decision has little to no bearing on what it DOES.

Hero is about reasoning from effect. The effect is the mechanical result you want. Reasoning means taking that desired mechanical result and modeling it via the Hero Powers. What that final ability looks like is just a special effect. Multiple characters can have the identical mechanical build but all have completely different special effects for those abilities. That is, all their powers look different even though they are functionally the same.

Until you "get" this concept you are going to continue to struggle with the Hero System so I strongly suggest focusing on this point before continuing to post these kinds of threads and questions.

You have a description for the character, one question is, is this how he always looks or is that a "heroic" identity? Dr. Satan comes to mind as a pulp hero who looked like the devil to scare the bad guys. Also I believe the true form of the Martian Manhunter is a monster too. So perhaps he has a ring to change his appearence to a 'normal' human? Perhaps a shapeshift and or images?

And Hyperman is right about reason from effect, but it took me along time to get that concept down, and sometimes it still is hard because sometimes to get the effect right, you end up using a different power than what you think you should use.

And fwiw, keep asking questions, I'll help as much as I can. I know that is how I learn stuff.

Here's an analogy to character creation that might help.

A couple just purchased a house and wants to redecorate the kitchen. They gather a bunch of magazine and pictures of ideas that they like and take them all down to the local home center and ask the staff for help. At some point the staff is going to ask the couple to make a decision of "this" vs. "that" for each item in the kitchen (cabinets, floor, lighting, etc...). The staff cannot and will not make that decision for them. They can offer choices based on what products they carry but that's about it.

Most games like d20 fit the limited choices of one store chain better than Hero. Hero is like shopping at Amazon. There are virtually no limits on the number of choices it offers.

How does that example fit into this thread. You're still at the magazine and pictures stage. You need to make a decision on what you want our help with actually designing and building.

The only things on the armor that would do any damage would be the spikes, bladed horns, and clawed gauntlets. A lot of times I use the saber-teeth in my description just because I think they look cool.

I have been think that he has one ring each corresponding to each element. I would like one ring to either provide the ability to fly or teleport the wearer. I am think one ring has the power called the Strength of the Earth which will for one will enhance the characters strength only when he is touch the earth (basically the same as how how Antaeus had great strength when he was in contact with his mother Gaea (Earth) and none when not touch the earth).

How do I give 4 of the ring the side effect of altering the users looks? I would like the more the person wears these specific rings the greater the chance the alter physical appearance becomes permanent (basically how the One ring altered Gollum the more he wore the One Ring).

I also would to have after six months of wearing a rings the wearer/owner of that ring the wearer/owner and the rings can sense when they are with in a certain radius.

For the Armor look at damage shield rules and indirect at the +1/4 level. Indirect acan be used to change where the pc defines where the power comes from. For the rings then start with a multipower, ring of earth could be density increase with limitation only with contact on ground. Ring of air could be flight, Ring of flame could be a rka, and ring of water could be energy blast vs PD. I can think of other things each of the elements can do, but this is a start. The alter appearence would be a side effect, probally transform, set effect. Lastly, the sense rings would be a form of detect. The time it takes could be either experience or background or a trigger on the detect. As for the rings that sense the owner, you could build a sentient ring, it works like a computer, but oy vey! that is even more complicated than multiform.

Let me add, as for the saber-tooth, you can have that description, its just that you don't get any free abilities for having it. Let me explain, you can bite someone with your mouth, but it wont do any extra damage than a "normal" character. But if you want some abiities for it, then you have to pay points.

How do I give 4 of the ring the side effect of altering the users looks? I would like the more the person wears these specific rings the greater the chance the alter physical appearance becomes permanent (basically how the One ring altered Gollum the more he wore the One Ring).

I also would to have after six months of wearing a rings the wearer/owner of that ring the wearer/owner and the rings can sense when they are with in a certain radius.

How do you envision the rings being used? If the intent is that they are owned by a single individual, who will use them in game, you apply Distinctive Features to that character. If he can reverse the unusual features by removing the ring, it is much more easily concealable than if the change is permanent. The rings are only a special effect of the Distinctive Features.

Similarly with the Detect. If the owner of the rings has held them long enough to be able to sense them, he buys that Detect with his character points. If not, he doesn't. He might buy the Detect with experience, simulating acquisition of this ability due to extended contact with the rings.

Note that gear in a Champions game is purchased with points. It is not randomly encountered, or looted from fallen opponents. If my character defeats this ring-wielder, he cannot steal the rings and gain all their powers unless he pays the points to make these rings his own focus. These abilities are not properties of the rings, transferable easily between characters, but properties of the character who paid for the powers of the rings, and limited those powers with a Focus limitation. Any powers derived from a permanent change to the character would not have the Focus limitation.

I was thinking that the character knows Martial Arts. The Character will born in Europe. . I would like one ring to have as one of its power the ability to fly. How about if four of the rigs are elemental base in their powers and abilities. The ring are magical and a few alter the wears appearance' date=' I know that his eyes become luminous, sulfuric yellow orbs from wearing one of the rings.[/quote']

The four rigs of power!... Look out, boys, we got us a convoy! :)

I want one person to wear the rings as of right now. Though it would be interesting if he had to find each one.

If he wore each of the rings which alter his physical appearance for a year or more then the changes to his physical appearance are permanent. I would like the other three rings to alter his appearance to where he looks monstrous in appearance.

I was think that the physical changes to the character's appearance due some of the rings would make it where he could not go out in public without cause problems for himself. I have been thinking that possibly he can change back and forth from human to monster using his magic rings The only problem is that he slowly is turning into the monster he can turn into. I might have that in place of him gaining a few change to his physical appearance.

A lot depends on whether this is a PC or NPC. A gradual shift to a monster, or the gradual location of the rings, becomes a plot point for an NPC, where it would be an evolution of the player character, likely including spending xp for each new ring as it is discovered (and not running the next "new ring" scenario until the character has earned sufficient xp to purchase it) and possibly a "radiation accident" rewrite when the change to appearance becomes permanent.

By the way, to the saber fang issue, I would add that some GM's would look at the description, then look at the character sheet, then suggest that the fangs suggest he should have a bite attack, and you should either shell out the points for such attack, or revise the description to remove the fangs. A GM might also suggest the appearance mandates a certain level of Presence and/or Striki9ng Appearance. His appearance will have no game effect, however impressive and/or cool, unless (once again) you spend the points to purchase the desired mechanical effect.