Guide to Vigilante Equipment: What would *you* like to see

JmOz

Okay, all you hero fans

First, I have no official connection with HERO games. Second, I like to start projects, finishing not so much, but right now I want to write a Powers book for equipment used by street level heroes (Think Batman, Daredevil, etc...). I am still working on a title but I would like to here your ideas for it. The current plan is to publish as a PDF

So this is what I am thinking right now

Chapter 1

Miniature Gadgets. This is a section of over one hundred gadgets with a small AP cost designed to assist the hero in the field. If anyone is familiar with my Batman Utility belt thread from a few years ago, well a lot of those devises will be incorporated...

Chapter 2

Signature Gear. This is going to be a section on other devices. Right now I plan on putting a battle stave multipower, Impenetrable shield, large section of trick ammo's

Chapter 3

Armor, including many sensory powers and a section on capes

Chapter 4

Vehicles (Have a helicopter, car, and boat already written up, a van will be coming). Mostly this will be options to add to base templates (Planning on 3 templates of 4 different types of vehicles, so 12 vehicles total)

Chapter 5

Bases, including computers

Chapter 6

Characters. A sampling of characters from different power levels, all will be part of the Fox family of heroes

So any ideas you would like to see?

Re: Guide to Vigilante Equipment: What would *you* like to see

One quick note, I will actually start exploring the possibility of publishing when I get it to about 75% complete, until then this is just a pet project. That is the point where I will talk to Jason and RPG Now about what I need to do to publish it

Thank you for the suggestion, I don't know if I will do that one, as it will extend the book more. But keep the ideas coming, and I will definatly consider it (I was already planning on a cop and a mechanic in the sample character section, so who knows)

Obviously you need to stay focussed, so be careful about including too many sample characters and non-equipment related stuff.

On the other hand, a big chunk of stuff about bases, vehicles and so on is a good idea, since it would differentiate your book from the 5e Gadgets and Gear, which already covers a fair bit of this material.

In fact, to be honest, it sounds a little like you are proposing to rewrite Gadgets and Gear, even if you aren't planning on covering all the same material. There's nothing wrong with that, but you might want to think about it.

Alternatively, you could really go nuts and rewrite DC:TAS, making it a bit more like the original Dark Champions. DC:TAS had potential, but to my tastes didn't quite hit the spot. I've used Pulp Hero as much as DC:TAS for that kind of setting.

Anyway, make sure you have a clear niche, and fill it.

Thanks Assault, I could not agree more about a clear niche. Looking over G&G and the 6th edition Equipment guide there is a lot of differences (It was a concern of mine as well). Obviously there are similarities, but I find both books to be more 4 color focus (a lot of blasters, jetpacks, etc...) than I am planning.

As for a spiritual rewrite of DC:TAS, maybe make that my second endeavor. I might save the characters for that, with only a few samples (The Fox, Vixen, and Cub)

Obviously you need to stay focussed, so be careful about including too many sample characters and non-equipment related stuff.

On the other hand, a big chunk of stuff about bases, vehicles and so on is a good idea, since it would differentiate your book from the 5e Gadgets and Gear, which already covers a fair bit of this material.

In fact, to be honest, it sounds a little like you are proposing to rewrite Gadgets and Gear, even if you aren't planning on covering all the same material. There's nothing wrong with that, but you might want to think about it.

Alternatively, you could really go nuts and rewrite DC:TAS, making it a bit more like the original Dark Champions. DC:TAS had potential, but to my tastes didn't quite hit the spot. I've used Pulp Hero as much as DC:TAS for that kind of setting.

Anyway, make sure you have a clear niche, and fill it.

I have some good news, and some bad news about this project.

The good news first: After talking to my partner, we have decided that this would be better as a trilogy of books.

The Bad news: We decided that this should be book number 2, not number 1

So while I will be monitoring this thread intently, another "What would you like to see" thread will be appearing n the next couple of days.

If anyone is curious by the way the three books are as follows:

Guide to Vigilantes, Guide to Vigilantes Equipment, and a character book. I hope that everyone will support the new book, and the whole trilogy.