Guide to Street Supers

JmOz

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Guide to Street Supers

So one of my playtesters observed that the included team is very Batmanesque...I ask, is that a bad thing?

These are the team included, with very brief descriptions

Kit-Very Robin like, fencer

Kitsuane-Illusions/invisibility/Shape change (appearence)

Brickface-Micro Brick

Marksman-Trick Archer

Thunderbird-Armored character with electircal damage shield and whip like coils

Phoenix-WWII era soldier/Martial Artist who has been away for a long time

Nightengale-untested, Medic/chemist (uses darts)

I am concerned about the lack of "Powered" characters

Part of the concept of the book is that it is not just the Vigilante/Crime Fighter/Detective type, but also the Spider man, cloak and dagger, (wish I could come up with some DC examples). I do not want ot over empasise that one type of character, but at the same time I feel that it is a major cornerstone of the sub genre, so should be a major factor.

I made some changes to Kitsuane, giving her a OIHID thing for a fox like form and her powers more inate (Originaly they were from a magic item, now OIHID and IIF for her more projection based.)

Part of the concept of the book is that it is not just the Vigilante/Crime Fighter/Detective type' date=' but also the Spider man, cloak and dagger, (wish I could come up with some DC examples). I do not want ot over empasise that one type of character, but at the same time I feel that it is a major cornerstone of the sub genre, so should be a major factor.[/quote']

For DC characters I would think that any of the Outsiders past and present, especially the original crew of Black Lightning, Metamorpho, Halo, Katana and Looker--and of course, Batman--would fall into the category of superpowered street-level characters. And perhaps the Silver Age Flash, as most of his enemies of the time were non-powered robbers with signature weapons or gadgets--and still managed to give The Fastest Man Alive a hard time. He also took on non-powered, non-costumed criminals as well.

Hope that helps.

Black Lightning, Black Lightning, Black Lightning and Black Lightning.

Umm.... since we are looking at the Silver Age+ characters, none of the obvious suspects from before then count.

Hawkman? The Martian Manhunter? Both were powered folks with predominately street level opponents.

Robbie "Dial H for Hero" Reed. Neat powers, lame opponents.

Hero Hotline. I'm plowing this field myself at the moment.

Ragman.

Green Lantern during his "relevance" era. This includes the origin of John Stewart.

Hawk and Dove.

The Guardian and Gangbuster.

Black Orchid.

Meh. Lots.

Feel free to post a sample section here, JmOz. I'm sure we'd be happy to give you positive and constructive feedback! I'm still working on the "other end" of the supers gaming spectrum, and am posting periodic updates in that thread as I get different sections finished. It's a lot of work, but a labor of love. :D

SPECTRE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?! I will admit' date=' my reading of him has been spotty, but his power level seems WAY Higher than what I am thinking of...[/quote']

I think it's a reference to the fact that Spectre spent a lot of time going after street thugs over cosmic menaces, especially in the '70s.

SPECTRE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?! I will admit' date=' my reading of him has been spotty, but his power level seems WAY Higher than what I am thinking of...[/quote']

I was joking, of course, but a high proportion of his stories involve him meting out justice on a very individual level.

In some ways, the early version of the Martian Manhunter could be thought of as a Science! based version of the Spectre - they both apply overwhelming and poorly defined levels of power to fighting mostly non-powered evildoers.

Their conflicts with cosmic level threats could be considered something of a sideline. Then again, Superman fights a whole lot of gangsters too.

I was joking, of course, but a high proportion of his stories involve him meting out justice on a very individual level.

In some ways, the early version of the Martian Manhunter could be thought of as a Science! based version of the Spectre - they both apply overwhelming and poorly defined levels of power to fighting mostly non-powered evildoers.

Their conflicts with cosmic level threats could be considered something of a sideline. Then again, Superman fights a whole lot of gangsters too.

While there were some powered super-villains and cosmic threats running around, most of the bad guys of the pre-Silver Age period seemed to be either gangsters or just guys in costumes with a few gimmicks.

• 2 weeks later...

So, time for a tidbit to wet the appetite.

The Gang From Oz

Members: Dorothy, The Lion, The Woodman, The Scarecrow, and Munchkins

Dorothy is a cybernetic psychotic with abandonment issues. She has a device that allows her to mind control others (but she has to place it on them). The Scarcrow is a cannible with a taste for brains, The woodsman a robotic killing machine, The Lion a mutate hybrid of man and jungle cat. Finaly the munchkins, mind controled children packing small machine guns

good call on Creaper.

Deadman, maybe...

SPECTRE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?! I will admit, my reading of him has been spotty, but his power level seems WAY Higher than what I am thinking of...

He didn't so much fight crime as torture it to death.

• 6 months later...

So FYI, I am still making SUPER SLOW Progress on this. I have not given up, but that dang real life...

Anyways, we are starting with fresh characters soon. I am using the play test to help focus things for me.

So far we have (all player created this time)

A Blind martial artist

a highly perceptive detective

a Avenging demon

a Trick gunner

a ninja

a invisible armor guy

a undecided, but leaning towards a mentalist...