Guide to Street Supers

JmOz

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Guide to Street Supers

Was the airbag the problem? I wouldn't expect a "muscle car from the seventies" to have one' date=' although that might depend on local regulations.[/quote']

In the U.S. airbags weren't required by law until 1998. Seat belts weren't even mandated until 1989 if I remember right. Most commercially available cars weren't equipped with (legally optional) airbags until at least the late 1980s.

(I work in auto insurance.)

Humm...I was wondering JmOz, if your including in your optinal rules something like Weapion Mastery (an ideal I thought up, but I guess I shoulden't be the only one, from reading the APG 1, page 48-50)? Basicly, for 20 points your charater has as many Weapon Familiarity as the GM alowes and which would make sence to the charater based on his background, the setting, and what the GM alowes. (I wrote that twice to make shure I got that in...that the GM alowers...opps, make that 3 times).

I'm shure Steven has proably done something like this in APG 2, but since I don't own that book yet...I have no ideal.

I am thinking about including some house rules, clearly distinguished as optional. Weapon Mastery (which my version is somewhat different) would be a good idea. However, espesialy for the first book I want to try to keep it to the basic rules as much as possible,,,

I am having a serious problem, and it might seem minor to alot of you, but it is a major issue to me. I do not like the word Vigilante for this (wrong connotations), Street Super Heroes is to awkward, Street Champions, while I like the sound of it, I am afraid to use the term Champions for this as Atari owns it...I need a good term for this type of character...

I am having a serious problem' date=' and it might seem minor to alot of you, but it is a major issue to me. I do not like the word Vigilante for this (wrong connotations), Street Super Heroes is to awkward, Street Champions, while I like the sound of it, I am afraid to use the term Champions for this as Atari owns it...I need a good term for this type of character...[/quote']

Well, if you're planning to create a commercial product(i.e., for sale), then I guess it makes sense to avoid using the term "Champions". But if it's a free-for-use work, then I don't think you need to worry about it much. Is "Super Street Fighter" taken? :P

I am having a serious problem' date=' and it might seem minor to alot of you, but it is a major issue to me. I do not like the word Vigilante for this (wrong connotations), Street Super Heroes is to awkward, Street Champions, while I like the sound of it, I am afraid to use the term Champions for this as Atari owns it...I need a good term for this type of character...[/quote']

Atari hardly owns the word "champion". But I've always called them "Street Level Heros" and left it at that.

I've always liked CRIMEFIGHTERS--it all but screams action-adventure, and can carry a whole load of connotations above and beyond the street level and cover a range of themes from light and campy to grim and gritty. Plus it puts the players squarely on the side of law and justice--you'd have to be a criminal to not want to fight crime.

Hope that helps.

I've always liked CRIMEFIGHTERS--it all but screams action-adventure, and can carry a whole load of connotations above and beyond the street level and cover a range of themes from light and campy to grim and gritty. Plus it puts the players squarely on the side of law and justice--you'd have to be a criminal to not want to fight crime.

Hope that helps.

thats the ticket

if magic does exst you could adapt the power levels of urban fantasy HERO to fit your game
I read Urban Fantasy and I don't think it fits too well with what I have in mind. It doesn't address PCs with actual non-magical superpowers. The characters are either magic users or normals. I was thinking of something along the lines from the Heroes or Alphas TV series then sliding magic in slowly with some unexplained events.

I think one aspect is that "street super heroes" is a slightly broader category, archetype-wise, than masked mystery men and grim vigilante detectives. It includes (or can include) lower-powered supers of the more conventional Champions archetypes--bricks, martial artists, mentalists, blasters, etc.

It can also, campaign-wise, be more open-ended...the heroes can evolve into veteran elite street supers, and/or become full-fledged "regular" superheroes, with a big fancy base and world-spanning adventures, confronting master villains and VIPER and whatnot. They can go from defending their block, to defending their neighborhood, to defending the city, to defending the country, to defending the planet and/or universe. They can go from fighting the neighborhood drug dealers to fighting the city crime lord(s) to fighting Eurostar and Dr. Destroyer. Or they can wind up fighting the likes of Andreas Panthanatos and Card Shark(is that his moniker?). Open-ended.

Okay so a serious question... How is this book going to be different from Dark Champions:The Animated Series? Its been while since I looked through it but didn't that cover the whole Batman/Daredevil side of things for Dark Champions?

I found DC:TAS a huge disappointment. My biggest gripe with it was that I felt it was incomplete, more a character book than a real sub genre book. In all honesty I feel a better comparison would be with the original Dark Champions book, which I will admit I will be covering a lot of the same material, but with less emphasis on Punisher/Law issues and more on super powered individuals of this level.

Well that works for me. I normally do the big four color team games all over the planet and beyond. However, a more street level game is always a fun way to relax and make players remember exactly how powerful they can be at any level. Thank you both for the answers and count me interested!

• 2 weeks later...

I have the chapter of pregen characters almost done. I ran the first playtest last week, this week I made some revisions to the characters and am running through the second half of the adventure. The characters functioned well, but a couple things were lacking (the setting is a pacific city, and many of them lacked TF: Boats). However combat wise, and investigation wise, they did very well.

(the setting is a pacific city' date=' and many of them lacked TF: Boats).[/quote']

In fairness to them, I don't really see an automatic connection between "a pacific city' and requiring TF: Boats. If they really needed it, perhaps you should have suggested it.

Still, some things are a pretty big clue. If your game was set in Honolulu, for instance, it would be tempting to build a character who knows how to surf... I probably wouldn't bother in a game set in Suva or Papeete.

Hmm... the Gold Coast? I'd probably just go with a standard Australian character, and buy surfing with experience points. Likewise, TF: Boats, if I found I needed it.

Part of the project is a group of 6 characters ready to play for people who want to jump in. This is what we were play testing. You are right that it would not be absolutely needed, but most should have it (at least half of them)