Very flashy, acrobatic martial arts styles?

CrosshairCollie

Re: Very flashy, acrobatic martial arts styles?

Fwiw' date=' I watched Tekken (the movie). And they had a bonus video called Stunt Stars. It focused on Cyril Rafaeff, who according to the show, was instrumental in developing Parkour, and was the fight choregrapher for Tekken, District B13, and several Transporter movies.[/quote']

Did they actually say he helped develop parkour? Cyril has certainly helped popularize the art via his movie roles. But he came along after the core parkour group had already been working together for many years. The Yamakasi was formed in 1988. Cyril's first real exposure to parkour came on the set of Banlieue 13 back in '03 or '04 when he was working with parkour "founder" David Belle.

Mind you, he's a skilled acrobat, stunt man, street tumbler and martial artist, so a lot of skill overlap, I'm sure he learned various new movements fast and he's been doing it for nearly a decade now...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did they actually say he helped develop parkour? Cyril has certainly helped popularize the art via his movie roles. But he came along after the core parkour group had already been working together for many years. The Yamakasi was formed in 1988. Cyril's first real exposure to parkour came on the set of Banlieue 13 back in '03 or '04 when he was working with parkour "founder" David Belle.

Mind you, he's a skilled acrobat, stunt man, street tumbler and martial artist, so a lot of skill overlap, I'm sure he learned various new movements fast and he's been doing it for nearly a decade now...

The impression I got from watching the Stunt Star was that he helped popularize Parkour. Now mind you, it was late, (I was tired) and of course there was a the translation factor going on. So I could be wrong. ;) Still if you guys get a chance, the movie wasn't bad and watching the stunt star bonus was fascinating.

That's one kick heavy theoretical martial artist you got there ;)

Tang Soo Do and Tae Kwon Do have the same roots and a lot of technical overlap, with modern TKD tending to be the flashier of the two styles.

So I'm not sure that Tang Soo Do would add much to the mix...

Tang Soo Do and Tae Kwon Do have the same roots and a lot of technical overlap, with modern TKD tending to be the flashier of the two styles.

Of course, Tricking alone could probably tech a practitioner all the fanciest kicks from Wu Shu, Capoeira and TKD anyhow...

Of course, Tricking alone could probably tech a practitioner all the fanciest kicks from Wu Shu, Capoeira and TKD anyhow...

Well, you could throw in some "cinematic" Muay Thai, Ong Bak style, if you wanted jumping elbow strikes and whatnot. For that matter, lucha libre could probably kick in some flashy moves, too.

Knowing very little about Martial Arts as I do, I ask the question here ...

What are some very flashy, martial arts styles (preferably non-fictional)?

Several of the "Silat" styles use a lot of big acrobatic moves....most Korean arts can fit as well....

If you want more hand strikes, maybe Drunken Monkey(or Drunken anything), perhaps some other animal styles as well. Internal styles like Aikido and Taijiquan aren't all that flashy but conceivably the circular, flowing movement they employ could be made more flamboyant and yet remain effective.

I suppose it depends on a person's Idea of Flashy and Acrobatic. There's more then a few forms of Escrima that would fit the mold, and then entire Anime have been built around things like Hsing-I (Xing-Yi) and PaKua (BaGua). There's a few forms of Karate that would certainly fit as well, Gōjū-ryū and (eventually) Shotokan; Uechi Ryū shouldn't be left out either. Anything with explosive Linear strikes combined with circular movement and set up tends to have some flash involved by default.....

~Rex