Very flashy, acrobatic martial arts styles?

CrosshairCollie

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Very flashy, acrobatic martial arts styles?

I also tend to have "use running as another mode of movement" naked advantage, and but it as flight (limited) and superleap. This allows for run, jump, bounce up a wall all in the same movement.

As for flashy martial arts - Wu shu, Capoeira and Tae Kwon do are you most in the air or acrobatic kickers.

You missed Climbing and Acrobatics. KS: Parkour could be included for those that know the history and terminology, CK or those that know their city well. Possibly French as a second language.

Frankly, I mostly just use Flight, No Turn Mode, with a very well defined -1/4 limitation "Parkour"

It's basically a variation of Only In Contact With A Surface. The character can use it for normall running, though they can't run on water, straight up a kite string or balance on things that couldn't realistically hold his weight like a speedster might be able to. They can make perfectly aimed leaps, even changing direction in mid leap if they have something to bounce off of. Normal human characters can only buy a max of 20m of Flight with Parkour and can only use half of their meters of Flight on any single uninterrupted Leap. This ability allows them to balance on just about anything that can actually bear their weight, so they can perch on ledges and run across narrow beams or high wires. They can of course still use it to run straight up or along walls, though they have to end their movement on a flat surface or otherwise have something to hold on to. I also let them use it to reduce falling velocity prior to making a Breakfall roll, to simulate (slower) climbing along ceilings, up treacherous surfaces or even to perform brachiation/swinging in an appropriate environment.

I sometimes add RSR for a bit of extra realism ;)

Awesome Guys, thanks!

Depends on the substyle. Stone Monkey isn't as flashy as Drunken or Lost, for example. There are many different kind of Monky Kung fu.

Here's an example of Tai Shing Pek KWar

While this is some Monkey style Wu Shu:

Karate's drawn a lot of influence from other arts in the last 40 years or so.

Back in the day (were' talking 1850-1940 or so), Karate didn't even have kicks above the belt.

The dramatic changes are attributed to Gigo Funakoshi influence on Shotokan, sparring rules (because no one with any sense of self preservation kicks high when the groin is an legal full contact target) as well as the influence of other arts. It's one of the things that made Shotokan so different from the older Okinawan styles. Shotokan is also the source of Tae Kwon Do, though few Korean martial artists wish to acknowledge that... Things eventually came full circle though.

The arts changed dramtically due to contact with one another in various open style competitions that started in the 60's and 70's. The forms circuit changed dramatically, especially in the 80's and 90's when people were allowed to get MUCH more creative with their forms and started liberally borrowing flashy moves form gymnastics and other martial arts like Kung Fu, Wu Shu, Capoeira and TKD. End result is you see things like this from Sport Karate guys:

As I said, the Tricking movement grew out of the forms circles in the late 90's...

As for Monkey style, I din't know that there was sub-styles, but that doesn't surprise me at the least. As for Funakoshi influencing high kicks? I disagree. He has in his kater-do Kyohan the highest point for kicks is the Solar Plexus. Now technically if your oppanent is standing straight, then it is above the belt. But even in practice, your opponent usually bends where the Solar Plexus is lowered. Did you know that Funakoshi recommends running away and spitting in your oppanents face as viable options in self-defence? as for Tae Kwon Do-Olympic style. In a nutshell, TKD was orginally Shotokan based. Even Hwang Kee recognizes this. Since Japan occupied Korea and forced a program of Japanese indocrtination, Koreans wanted to distigusih themselves from Karate and Japan. Which is interesting because the reason that Funakoshi introduced Karate to the Japanese was so the Japanese won't elimante it. Of course this leads to secret techniques and I learned the TRUE art, and what is mainstreamed is false. And for fancier techniques, I would even put that before the '90s, to groundwork was laid in even the '60s with American Freestyle Karate. Because in America we would steal techniques from other styles, and blend it in with what they were taught. I believe Dan Anderson was recalling a story about how in Karate they weren't taught the Ridgehand cause they were told it was a weak technique. After getting knock out he asked what technique was used, and low and behold, it was the ridgehand, so he learned the ridgehand.

Yeah' date=' I was pretty much looking for 'parkour with real punches and kicks added'. I probably would have asked for that in the OP, but I can never remember the word 'parkour'.[/quote']

For my Ninja Pc, I bought extra hand attack with the lim acrobatics roll.

Taekwondo was largely derived from Shotokan, but it also has its roots in Taekkyon, which had been suppressed by the Japanese but was still secretly practiced. Gen. Choi Hong Hi (who trained in both arts) is credited with creating taekwondo, and he was definitely the major factor, but there were other masters who had their own schools (kwans) and joined with him to develop the art. The World Taekwondo Federation's denouncement of Gen. Choi was largely due to politics. According to what I read in the Tae Kwon Do Times years ago (I'm going by memory here, so I'm probably not 100% accurate), he taught the art in North Korea, hoping to help reunite the country. This act was viewed unfavorably by the South Korean government, which led to his exile in Canada and the World Taekwondo Federation's formation.

Dude, wrong Funakoshi ;)

You're thinking of Gichin.

If you reread what I wrote, I was talking about his son, Gigo.

Okay, you know I should've double ckecked. I believe Gigo is Gichin's son. Well then that means that Gigo was just trying to keep up with Tae Kwon Do? It is interesting that Krate debuted as an Olympic Sport before tae Kwon Do, yet TKD became an official sport whereas Karate never did. Fwiw, i once made a villian and gave him style disadvantage Olympic Style.

Taekwondo was largely derived from Shotokan' date=' but it also has its roots in Taekkyon, which had been suppressed by the Japanese but was still secretly practiced. Gen. Choi Hong Hi (who trained in both arts) is credited with creating taekwondo, and he was definitely the major factor, but there were other masters who had their own schools (kwans) and joined with him to develop the art.[/quote']

That's debatable... but not sure if you really want to get into that sort of discussion...

Well then that means that Gigo was just trying to keep up with Tae Kwon Do?

No... there was no TKD to keep up with when Gigo started changing Shotokan in the 30's.

That's debatable... but not sure if you really want to get into that sort of discussion...

No... there was no TKD to keep up with when Gigo started changing Shotokan in the 30's.

Hmmm, then I must find out more about this Gigo. ; ) The only reason I brought TKD was that some of the Art change for political reasons, which actually happens to a bunch of different arts too.

The discussion is probably a moot point, but what exactly do you find debatable? That Shotokan wasn't the only influence on modern Taekwondo? Or that Choi Hong Hi wasn't the only founding member? I guess it all depends on who you believe.

Give me some credit for knowing the history of my chosen martial art. I have after all studied more than just the physical aspects of the art, as well as others. You're not the only martial arts scholar here, you know.

The discussion is probably a moot point' date=' but what exactly do you find debatable?[/quote']

Well, the history of TKD is debatable, but my comment was mostly focused on the influence of taekkyeon.

Like I said, wasn't sure if you wanted to get into such a discussion, as it's a bit of a hot button topic ;)

And doesn't necessarily have much to do with the topic at hand either.

That Shotokan wasn't the only influence on modern Taekwondo?

These days, I think it's often accepted as having been the main component of the art.

There was also some very probable influence from Shudokan karate and possibly Shito-ryu.

Then some questionable influence from Yang style Tai Chi and Chuan Fa/Kung Fu.

The actual influence of taekkyeon, is probably the most hotly debated aspect of this, with some folks claiming it was a MAJOR influence on the art and others arguing that it may have had virtually no influence what so ever.

The biggest technical influence on TKD in the last 40+ years has been the contest rules of the art itself, though.

Or that Choi Hong Hi wasn't the only founding member?

Oh, he certainly wasn't. There were a lot of important names back in the day that helped shape the art.

Choi was a major player and allegedly a big factor in bringing the other kwans together under the TKD banner. Almost everyone was calling what they did some variation of "karate" prior to the mid 60's.

Give me some credit for knowing the history of my chosen martial art. I have after all studied more than just the physical aspects of the art, as well as others. You're not the only martial arts scholar here, you know.

I didn't claim to be and I'm sorry if it comes off that way :(

I have a question since I am not a scholar. Why the debate at all? Isn't there records of how component arts were used?

CES

A variety of reasons:

- there isn't always a good record. There's a lot of stuff that's lost to time because many aspects of the arts are passed down master to student via oral tradition. Often times, people don't realize what bits of history are important until it's too late and memories aren't always that reliable to begin with.

- even when there is a good record, things are often lost in translation, especially when dealing with foreign arts.

- lies and outright fabrication. All too often, histories are deliberately changed. Of course, there are also sometimes just honest misunderstandings and misinterpretations that never get cleared up.

- martial arts politics play a big part in all this. Even in small groups, human nature gets the better of the facts all the time.

- many people that practice martial arts aren't actually interested in the history. Those that DO have some appreciation for the history often do more harm than good because they frequently help perpetuate myths. Relatively few people do serious research about the martial arts (in part because few folks have the necessary resources, skills and background).

Politics causing a debate in the art's history is particularly true in Taekwondo. Given the politics and bad blood that resulted in the masters splitting the art into two major federations (the ITF and WTF), plus countless associated federations. Note that the ITF recently split into three factions (again due to politics), I guess you can count more than two.

It's not my story to tell, but I'll relate what my Grandmaster told the class when we were awarded our 2nd Dan belts. Our school had been a part of the ITF. When politics led to Gen. Choi leaving South Korea, many schools had to break with the ITF or the Grandmasters wouldn't be allowed to return to South Korea. Given the Grandmaster wanted to return home from time to time, he elected to change the school's affiliations to the WTF instead. I don't know if the situation changed (I doubt it has), but keep in mind how volatile the issue was back then.

As for Taekkyon, I wouldn't completely discount its influence. Nobody is disputing that Shotokan is the major influence on Taekwondo; it's obvious in most of its techniques. But several of the kicks and footwork are similar to Taekkyon kicks. That's my experience and observation at least.

And I'm sorry I got defensive earlier. I've been really touchy lately, and I took offense when I shouldn't have.

Politics causing a debate in the art's history is particularly true in Taekwondo. Given the politics and bad blood that resulted in the masters splitting the art into two major federations (the ITF and WTF), plus countless associated federations. Note that the ITF recently split into three factions (again due to politics), I guess you can count more than two.

It's not my story to tell, but I'll relate what my Grandmaster told the class when we were awarded our 2nd Dan belts. Our school had been a part of the ITF. When politics led to Gen. Choi leaving South Korea, many schools had to break with the ITF or the Grandmasters wouldn't be allowed to return to South Korea. Given the Grandmaster wanted to return home from time to time, he elected to change the school's affiliations to the WTF instead. I don't know if the situation changed (I doubt it has), but keep in mind how volatile the issue was back then.

As for Taekkyon, I wouldn't completely discount its influence. Nobody is disputing that Shotokan is the major influence on Taekwondo; it's obvious in most of its techniques. But several of the kicks and footwork are similar to Taekkyon kicks. And the Grandmaster taught us a few hand techniques I never saw in karate. That's just my experience and observation at least.

And I'm sorry I got defensive earlier. I've been really touchy lately, and I took offense when I shouldn't have.

Edit: But it is, as you said, a hot-button issue, so let's agree to disagree and not go off-topic. Peace.

si I've been referring to the World Taikwando Federation all this time?

:lol: Having done tkd longer than being exposed to internet forums, I was at first confused when someone typed "WTF is that?" or something like that.

Still, it could be worse. Look at the acronym for this organization.

• 1 month later...

Just got done working up a character for a new campaign. Wanted to base him on a modern version of the Tae Kwon Do and gymnastics I studied as a teenager some 30 years ago. (pfft Shotokan (lol) wink & jk)

So I built two packages for him that the GM has approved based on this same threads concept. Keeo in mind he's suppose to be a teenager so I kept it minimal with the idea he learned these skills while travelling with his father a Marine serving first in a French then Brazillian embassy.

Parkour

Acrobatics

Breakfall

Climbing

Fam: Parkour

French (conversational)

Capoeira

Punch

Kick

Dodge

Fam: Capoeira

1 skill level w/Capoeira

Portugese (conversational)

I plan on adding a Parkour skill level and Sacrificial Throw to the Capoeira as it combines well with Breakfall but points were tight and I want to give the character room to improve in both rhese skills as he gets older. I think Familar is more appropriate than a full blown knowledge skill for a teenager and once again points were tight and one doesnt expect much of an in game effect from a in depth knowledge of those skills backgounds. Also as with the other stuff gives the teenager room to grow and improve.

Fwiw, I watched Tekken (the movie). And they had a bonus video called Stunt Stars. It focused on Cyril Rafaeff, who according to the show, was instrumental in developing Parkour, and was the fight choregrapher for Tekken, District B13, and several Transporter movies.