Custom Martial Art Skills

Ninja-Bear

Re: Custom Martial Art Skills

Another way to think of it is...what does Master alow the player to do what other things do not.

Master: A member in good standing of a martial art orgizenation. Can teach at a dojo. Alowes the player to set up a dojo dedicated to the orginzation in places where none exist. Can find shelter in such dojos when traveling. Can call upon other members for help. Subject to the whelms of other higher up members. Must be a black belt.

Grandmaster: As above, but dojos are more elabrate and in more populated or important citys.

Founder: Head of that orginzation, or of there famaly.

Lets expand on this ideal.

Master (lesser): 1 point cost.

Perks: Can teach students. Can set up a dojo to the org. in out of the way and less important cities. Can colect dues from students. Can expect room and bord at any org. dojo while traveling, but must work for it. Can ask for materials and help (but may not nessasary get it).

Duties: Teach students in the art. To pay a part of the dues to the main org.

Master: 2 points.

Perks: As above, but the cities increse in importance. Can expeect more quality equipment. Can ask the org. for a loan, if needed and the member is of a good standing.

Duties: Also as above.

Master (greater): 3 points.

Perks: As above, but more so.

Duties: As above.

Grandmaster: 4 points.

Perks: No longer can thay train students, Grandmasters train Masters. There dojos are in important cities, and thay are almost revered by the locals (let alone the org.). Can exist without funds (the org. provides all). May run tourniments.

Duties: To train masters. To select where dojos are needed, and who will go as master. Other duties as needed.

Founder: 5 points.

Perks: May train or not train as he sees fit. Can comand all the resources of the org. May select grandmasters from the master pool. Can run touriments.

Duties: To make shure the art survives, in any way posable!

I kinda thought that-but wanted to make sure. I believe Dispel power (with the right modifiers) would be the way to go. I've seen it brought this way for armor. The only problem is the cost. I was going to suggest standard effect, but the most expensive pistol is 49pt act (Desert Eagle) but that is also because of the +1 Stunx and +1 OCV. Perhaps a rules that 12D6 Dispel is sufficient, at SE, to dispel any pistol. I went with 12D6 because at SE you get 36 pts and the Desert Eagle's damage is 2D6+1 which is 35 act. pts. As I type, you could perhaps justify a lower dispel and rule that the real weapon lim. acts to lower the act pt needed to dispel it?

While a Dispel would be the RAW way to build it as a power, I still think I would let it be the SFX of a Disarm (depending on the style of the campaign of course). Sure, you make it so they can't fire the gun even if they retrieve it (at least until they put it back together), which might seem more powerful than the standard effect of such maneuvers, but it also means you can't pick it up and shoot them without taking time to put it back together as well, so I think it evens out.

Well Ragitsu is you go by Disarm, then its a random roll to see where the gun goes, and it becomes a wild card. If you define it as a takeaway, then the character has control of the gun, which means he can use it or dispose of it. (Also to lower the point cost, figure out the dispel based on charges, cause really he is just disabling one charge (bullet).)

Sterica with the perk upstream, I was thinking about expanding it as a function for buying martial manuevers. Of course this would be only useful in a game where the style lists are enforced.

1pt. Blackbelt - Buy any additional manuever from your style.

2pt. Master - Buy one additional manuever from outside your style.

3pt. Grandmaster - Modify a manuever, create a new (mechanically) manuever.

4 pt. Founder-Completely create a new system

Also each level might affect how many csls (and what point cost) and weapon fam and elements too.