basic rule book

L.Craig

Re: basic rule book

Even if you are the GM, you can get by with the Basic Rulebook. However, that's what you'd be doing: "getting by." The full core rules include many options, explanations, examples, and advice that the Basic Rulebook doesn't have. OTOH, the Basic Rulebook is much less expensive. Obviously, how you approach the trade-off has to be up to you. :)

Basic is as complete as the first three editions of Champions. You don't really need anything else.

However, other stuff is nice, and the GM probably would want to buy some of it later.

2nd and 3rd edition came with "campaign books" in addition to the rulebook, featuring some scenarios, sample characters, advice on character building and so on. The 3e version was about 32 pages, IIRC. Basic doesn't have that, and it would be useful for starting GMs. The Champions Genre Book is intended to fill the gap (apart from scenarios, which were absent in the 5e version at least), but is also quite a chunky and expensive book in its own right.

I've been thinking of throwing together a simple campaign book, based on the 3e model, aimed at helping a starting GM get up and running. It would be as much a starting module as anything else, with notes on modifying the included sample characters.

Basic is as complete as the first three editions of Champions. You don't really need anything else.

However, other stuff is nice, and the GM probably would want to buy some of it later.

2nd and 3rd edition came with "campaign books" in addition to the rulebook, featuring some scenarios, sample characters, advice on character building and so on. The 3e version was about 32 pages, IIRC. Basic doesn't have that, and it would be useful for starting GMs. The Champions Genre Book is intended to fill the gap (apart from scenarios, which were absent in the 5e version at least), but is also quite a chunky and expensive book in its own right.

I've been thinking of throwing together a simple campaign book, based on the 3e model, aimed at helping a starting GM get up and running. It would be as much a starting module as anything else, with notes on modifying the included sample characters.

Part of my Vigilante book is this concept. I intend it to be useable with the Basic Rulebook, and be a ready to run game...

Well, you can do wonders with a limited rule pool. For example, my charater Lady Heart was created with just Basic Rulebook and the Advance Players Guide 1. Yes, I did create the original 'Instant Change' power myself, but it was created with love and the Basic Rulebook. My first 6ed charater, Doctor Dair, was created only with the Basic Rulebook.

Still, I do plan to upgrade into the full system at a later date.

I have only briefly looked over the basic book and I hold to the idea that you should have at least one copy of Volume 1&2 in your group. I noticed that shape shift and a few other powers where not as detailed as they maybe should be, and if I remember right Summoning wasn't included at all. This probably isn't a big deal if you have experience in 5ed or an earlier version, you could probably get by though with out having played an earlier version with just the basic just not as easy I think as if you had the full two volume set.

I have only briefly looked over the basic book and I hold to the idea that you should have at least one copy of Volume 1&2 in your group. I noticed that shape shift and a few other powers where not as detailed as they maybe should be' date=' and if I remember right Summoning wasn't included at all. This probably isn't a big deal if you have experience in 5ed or an earlier version, you could probably get by though with out having played an earlier version with just the basic just not as easy I think as if you had the full two volume set.[/quote']

The entier ideal behind Hero 6ed Basic Rulebook is basicly Hero System 101. It is SUPOSE to be simple, for thoes who are just starting Hero and might be to putoff by all that detail of the full rules.

can you get by with 6ed basic to play champions or do you need the other books for 6th ed.

From a rules/system perspective, the basic rule book has everything you need (although maybe not everything you'll eventually want). As the name implies, it has all of the basic rules, dropping some of the more complicated bits. You can do long running campaigns with just the rules presented within (and, personally, for games at conventions I prefer it). Now, there is no campaign source material in this book (or any of the "rule" books).