Using the covered Maneuver

LordGhee

Dear Sirs,

In the phase that my character acts, Detective Danger, half moves into the room and yells "Freeze" and after all modifiers need an eight on the dice to get a covered result on High Dex Villain with the Maneuver Cover.

I roll an Eleven.

Question one; I the player know I have blown the Maneuver dose my character knows he has blown the maneuver?

Question two; Will High Dex Villain know that I have blown my roll, even thou the steely eye detective never blinks?

Re: Using the covered Maneuver

I am only guessing, but it would make sense to have your detective make some kind of Ego roll to determine if he is self-aware enough to know that he blew it, and the villain make a Percept roll to detect that he isn't really covered, or you could have your detective to do some kind of Perception roll with some kind of penalty to bluff the villain.

Dear Sirs,

In the phase that my character acts, Detective Danger, half moves into the room and yells "Freeze" and after all modifiers need an eight on the dice to get a covered result on High Dex Villain with the Maneuver Cover.

I roll an Eleven.

Question one; I the player know I have blown the Maneuver dose my character knows he has blown the maneuver?

Perhaps I should check the rules, but if you're asking I'll assume there is no explicit answer there for this maneuver.

I'd say the character should make an INT roll, probably with a small automatic bonus, perhaps adjusted for such things as Overconfidence (worth a -2, -5, or -8 depending on severity of the Complication) and character knowledge (if the character knows the target has been hard to hit in the past, perhaps +1 or +2 to realize that once again, you'll probably miss if you pull the trigger.)

Question two; Will High Dex Villain know that I have blown my roll' date=' even thou the steely eye detective never blinks?[/quote']

Make a PRE roll. If it matches or exceeds the villain's EGO or PRE (or possibly, in this specific case, INT) he thinks he's covered.

Lucius Alexander

I have the palindromedary blanketed

I always make the cover roll after the Maneuver. What I mean is, the character declares and then that's it. No one at the table knows whether or not he was successful until the Covered Maneuver is challenged.

It's more dramatic and easier to keep track of. Try it.

This is brilliant. I'd rep you, except "Must spread, etc..."

Dear Sirs,

I roll an Eleven.

Question two; Will High Dex Villain know that I have blown my roll, even thou the steely eye detective never blinks?

I see two parts here:

The enterance that might entitle him to a Presence Attack (wich might give him extra time to get him covered) and the Cover Maneuver itself.

Regardign the question if the cover maneuver worked:

Yes, the target should notice it without any roll. Despite the "stop and go" nature of any RPG rule system, combat is fluid. Not making the attack roll during a cover maneuver means the target wasn't covered when it was his point to act. Having a gun pointed at you and not having a gun pointed at you should be obvious.

Detective Danger propably hesitated a little with poiting the gun, thinking that his impression would be enough. Pehaps he was also disctracted from taking a look into the room.