If your heroes had gone down a darker path

Hermit

I've already started down that path with my players by introducing a former petty criminal super villian turned vigilante. He showed up ready to pick a fight just after the PC's peacefully resolved a hostage situation and accused the PCs of interfering and "stealing all the glory". So they just publicly thanked him during interviews and greatly downplayed their roles in the crisis and left him there with the press to finish everything up. As a GM I was amazed at well they did it as a group with even discussing it. They just played off each other and let it roll. Good stuff...

They have not, however, seen the last of him.

Wow. I have only one character who'd let somebody who did that actually get to claim unearned credit off me, and that's Starguard. Dr. Pain would matter-of-factly put out the true version of events at the press conference, but do so without saying anything unjustifiable about the guy. The Baron would... well, he doesn't *do* press conferences, so this guy can steal all the credit he wants.

And this guy could also find out that 10th-century German noblemen of Slavic ancestry consider falsely claiming credit for the deeds of another, especially *your* deeds, to be quite insulting...

Quasar would never go dark. From the first time I ever played him he has always been a very "Siver Age," alruistic "I'll do what I know is right even if NO ONE ELSE will..." character.

If Mind Maiden went dark, no one would notice. She's so reclusive and loaded with Psyc Lims that "abnormal" behavior is normal for her.

Shadowhunter couldn't go more dark with out becoming a mass murderer.

Quasar wants to see wrong doers brought to public justice. Shadowhunter just wants to see them punished.

I think a Dark Irving would have to be pretty much re-thought from his original concept, going into two possibilities:

1) His idealism sours and he becomes disgusted with humanity. A sort of low-powered Fiacho, if you will.

2) He has no intellect and is a golem-like minion of some group like DEMON.

Captain Social Justice

Captain Liberty's actual origin involved him being convinced not to become a radical Communist agent (in the 60s) by another of my heroes.

So while Cap might not be a villain out for filthy lucre and the degradation of society, he could certainly become an antagonist to a number of heroes as he takes justice in his own hands, attacks the symbols of capitalist oppression, redistributes the wealth, etc.

As it is, Captain Liberty is more of a Libertarian these days...

ShadowCross wouldn't change much. She might kill a few more people starting with her husband but she could not ally with a criminal force. She could ally with a dictator minded world conqueror should one happen across her and make her an offer. With the world (or a good percentage of it) under his benevolent control he could institute a Dr Doom-like harsh punishment code for criminals that would cut way down on the crimes that brought her into being. She would enjoy leading a security team to mete out 'Justice', and would look great in the outfit.

Sabre is a scientific genius who knows she's smarter than almost everyone and impatient with dealing with them. Even other geniuses are 'slow' to catch on to political shifts and nuances outside their scientific expertise so unless their field is hers, they have nothing to talk about. No friends, no family she associates with. Currently she oversees a corporation that finances her work.

For her to go bad... perhaps when she was young she fell in love and he was killed, or he spurned her and then went on to become a world reknowned hero and her hatred festered. Hiring cybernetic experts she ordered the creation of a robotic army, supplemented with cyborgs armed with her technology to punish the hero so she could visit him in the hospital, reveal that she did it all, and then pull the plug on his lifesupport and watch him die.

Her little army could then be rented out to Viper or other interested parties able to meet her price. By hiring cloning experts she could work on creating the perfect engineered footsoldiers to wear her cybernetics... amphibious, strong, sturdy... and with no memory, no life but to serve.

Ruling the world would be too much work, too much dealing with morons. But for the right offer she could work permanently for Destroyer or another like him.

Carmen going bad. I can picture several of her lieutenants doing so but not her. Salvo and Prima Donna easily. Salvo already conquered El Salvador and rules it, while Prima Donna (his girlfriend) can be seduced by power.

In a Mirror, Mirror universe however, Carmen would do well in political intrigues and power plays. With her carefully maintained friends beside her to take out enemies when expedient, and her natural charm and spanish beauty she could easily become the wife or mistress of someone very powerful and rule through him. She and Salvo have had sexual tension for a long time but there was Prima so nothing ever happened. But in an alternate universe something likely would although Prima would still be his girlfriend and stand by his side as his acknowledged consort. Her position secure Prima would handle the triangle with ease. I'd hate to see Salvo have to choose between the two women in his life.

While I can't see Zl'f actually going to the Dark Side, she could very definitely have become a shade of gray. She might have become a ""Dark Angel" type of character, helping people when she could but wanted by the police of several nations and always on the run. She might support herself by theft or other such minor crimes if she hadn't stumbled in with MidGuard and become a full-blown superheroine.

We had a scenario in whch our referee had at least a couple of us playing "evil duplicates" of our characters. He sprung this on us with almost no notice and I did a REALLY bad job of playing an evil "St Barbara". I do NOT want to do that again ! As far as whether "St Barbara" could become evil, well it would be simple enough. Push the right buttons (especially her "protective of chidren" mental disadvantage) and watch the multi coloured explosions fly ! We also had a scenario where a person was murdered in front of the team and we were unable to do anything about it. Imagine a little blonde super heroine ("St Barbara") hissing and spitting like an enraged kitten as she is (literally) hauled off over the shoulder of the teams 8ft gargoyle like muscle man ("Blackwing") ! Very Funny !