If your heroes had gone down a darker path

Hermit

Inspired in part by the "Champions of Evil" thread here. As we know, good supervillains are hard to come by. Sometimes it's a good idea to base one on a succesful good guy.

So, using our own characters... what if your super hero(s) had "Joined the dark side"? What would have happened to do it, and what would they be like?

I think that its generally harder to see it happen once they're already established as a hero, barring major plot devices like insanity, "opposite alignment" thingamabobs, and so forth.

Pretty much anyone could work well with some origin changes - they're a different person at the point they get their powers, different circumstances lead them to create the power armor, etc. Change the basic nature/nurture input, get a different output.

Battlestaff was born a Light Lord, his twin brother a Dark Lord (and currently a member of DEMON's inner circle). In each generation a pair of Light/Dark Lord's are born, always siblings, always of the same sex, always immortal. The Light Lord is inclinde toward good, the Dark Lord evil. He was inclinded toward the light all along.

However, if he had been the Dark Lord, with his incredible speed, martial arts ability, and stealth skills, he would quite effectively have become an accomplished assasin. He could defeat a large force of agents, and get to the target before the target could react. All in all, a scary thought.

My hero is teleportation based using gateways instead of simply "blinging". He can use these gateways to "stretch" without crossing the interviening space. In addition, he has stealth, slight of hand, and a fairly strong case of kleptomania.

He joined the hero team he's on when all his friends at a party were killed by an evil martial artist from another dimension trying to get the attention of one of the members of the Hero team.

Had that not happend, I think it's easy to figure out what path my character might have followed...stealing whatever pretty pretty objects he came across =) Heck, his first super hero costume was stolen =)

Funny you should ask. With Anthem, there is a moment in the campaign where the character can turn, if I want. Though the character would be far less fun to play.

Uncle Slam has already had his preconceived notions of what the American Government stands for--shattered, and he's still on the "good guy" team. So it would take more of a public rebellion, with America itself turning on him. He'd likely go off somewhere and skulk, slowly simmer to where he'd decide that all the lives he used to take (before his CvK) and all the battles he fought were for nothing and that America must pay! But it would never happen.

Audra Blue... has already resisted a lot of evil in her life. To turn evil she would have to literally be corrupted. Being a hacker (cybernetic jacks and all), she'd likely have to have some kind of virus reprogram her. Either that or if the current team of heroes turned on her... She's actually the closest to the edge of any of my characters, and sometimes has to do things just the other side of the line.

Starguard -- would have to have an entirely different early life (i.e. -- an amoral little bitca from the wrong side of town instead of a nice young woman from a good family situation) and a different origin (merged with the dying essence of a demon prince, not a cosmic entity of Good).

And with that kind of origin, well, and you thought Dark Seraph was bad...

The worst part is, Starguard is *not* stupid -- she's actually a borderline genius -- merely naive and unexperienced. So while Dark Starguard would starts out as 'Hummingbird with a clear-cut case of sociopathy and the Power Cosmic', she will *rapidly* improve in dangerousness.

I foresee a strong Rivalry with Dark Seraph and the Crowns of Krim, and an alliance of convenience with either DEMON or Takofanes. (When you have Dark Seraph as a Professional Rival, even people with 80-point Cosmic Power Pools need backup.)

Dr. Pain -- hell, Dr. Pain *was* originally a villain in his original Ninja Hero writeup, I merely changed his backstory to that of a decent guy whose 'pro wrestling heel' career was merely a stage persona, and gave him 350-point brick powers.

If we keep the same origin story, he still has to quit wrestling -- his first power manifestation was too public to be concealable. Bitter and angry over losing his career, he'd definitely go supervillain. However, since he's not stupid, and has the painful examples of many low-end bricks to learn from (especially Bulldozer's), he'd definitely not go the 'Grog Smash Puny Armored Car!' route.

Instead, he'd go join VIPER... a 60 STR brick with an MBA (OK, so I improved Dr. Pain's IQ a little too) and public relations experience should find many job opportunities as either a Nest Leader or a Dragon Branch sub-commander.

Baron von Darien -- seeing as how he's an 1100-year-old vampire elder, the timeline where the Baron is a *good* guy is the low-probability event. An evil Baron von Darien would be pretty much Baron de'Lear from 'The Mutant File', only more subtle... the secret Illuminated ruler of much of Europe, and probably the guy who actually created Eurostar by using his vampiric hypnosis to very, very subtly drive Danar Nicole insane and plant little suggestions in his brain... and then keep whispering...

Edit -- damn, I realized I'd have to find some way to keep Mentalla from noticing. Well, the simplest way is merely to bring her on board with the scheme... it's not like she *wouldn't* go for such a thing, and with a 45 EGO the Baron can actually hope to deal with Mentalla as a respected equal, not a 'mortal plaything'.

Oh, let’s see. Requiem would start by settling some old scores. The Bloodsabres killed her parents and kidnapped her as an infant and trained her to be a sword-wielding black magic shocktrooper. All of them would have to die. Every single one of them. Painfully.

This might create some tension between Requiem and her Code-Versus-Killing teammates, and the Knights Templar, the order of holy knights to which her parents belonged and which recently “purified†her through trial by combat. Requiem had never thought that wielding shadow magic was evil in and of itself – she thought of it as a tool, which could be used towards evil ends or good ends -- but several members of the team disagreed, and the Knights Templar disagreed, so they forced her to give it up. She’s still kinda sore about that. After that, her new powers were/are mostly channeled into her by her parents and the powers on high. They might try to pull back on Requiem’s leash if she brutally murdered all of the Bloodsabres, so if her holy powers suddenly dried up, she’d probably turn right back around and take shadow magic back up. She would then inevitably have to wipe out the Knights Templar, and probably her teammates along the way.

After that, she would probably just want to keep fighting against the forces of darkness and evil, using their own methods and weapons against them. Of course, after you slay your own team of superheroes and a secret order of holy knights mostly out of spite, your definitions of good and evil are probably open to debate.

So if Requiem went Evil, she would fight Evil, with Evil, for Good (in her own mind).

To answer what I didn't earlier, getting caught up in my enthusiasm for Elseworlds as it were...

For my heroic versions of characters to go down a darker path...

Starguard -- it's just not happening. Belldandy is easier to morally corrupt than this kid.

(Which isn't to say that a plotline can't be written where Starguard is *tricked* into doing the wrong thing, but the thing is, the instant she finds that out she'll move Heaven and Earth -- literally -- to make up for what she's done. Making her *knowingly* serve the Dark is about as close to impossible as anything ever gets.)

Dr. Pain -- easy. He's a pretty good guy now, but he is street-smart and a former pro wrestler. Have his heroic efforts met with enough ingratitude, shaft him over legally enough, and he can eventually become bitter enough to consider joining the bad guys' team... at which point, cue the 'Kevin Armstrong career path' that I outlined above.

Baron von Darien -- can possibly become frustrated enough with the shortsightedness and stupidity of mortals to believe that they actually need more than just a fair chance to set themselves straight -- they need a wiser, stronger figure to set them straight *for* them.

At which point the Supreme Serpent had really better watch his back, because the Baron would much rather take over an existing organization with compatible purposes than go to all the efforts of making his own, especially since they'd inevitably come into conflict anyway.

And for that matter, Nama might very well accept such a happening, because the Baron's more than competent enough for the job, and somewhat less egomaniacally prone to overreach than the current occupant.

Edit -- and correction to my post above. In a timeline where the Baron is already evil by the 19th century, forget him being a European villain mastermind... Nama would have tapped him for the original Council Of Thirty.

Ballistic - A supersuit excop, dismissed from the force for excessive violence (he shot and killed a teen gang member who was trying to use mind control on him, but that was never proven)....

The bad guy version would have gone more into the violence and death, becoming a ruthless murdering vigilante - not unlike the Punisher or the Blue Moon Killer (yes in my superhero campaigns these types of characters are villians).

Black Cat - She got possessed by her powers and went evil and got depowered. The badguy version never got depowered and really enjoyed the suffering she caused.

Originally posted by Lord Mhoram

The bad guy version would have gone more into the violence and death, becoming a ruthless murdering vigilante - not unlike the Punisher or the Blue Moon Killer (yes in my superhero campaigns these types of characters are villians).

Quoting myself sheesh...

Yes - Dark Champions is the sourcebook I would have put at the very bottom of the pile after Western, Cyber, Horror or Pulp.

Warp: Oh, this one's easy. Have his father (Franklin Stone, Champions Universe page 59) get custody of him when his parents divorced when he was five instead of his mother. When your father is the CU equivalent of Lionel Luthor, it's not that big a step into turning out like Lex.

Spectrum: Hmmm, the Progenitor Probe which gave him his powers could have also driven him mad when it mindlinked with him, causing him to turn into an insane and immensely powerful engine of destruction.

Mystic: Delving into the wrong types of arcane lore early in his career could have possibly driven him mad, or seduce him onto the path of darkness.

Proteus: Well, he was originally discovered in the abandoned lair of an unknown super villain by a super hero team. If the super villain had never left but had raised Proteus for whatever purpose he was originally intended for, Proteus could have easily turned out to be a villain.

Skyknight was an Air Force fighter jock who ran into trouble for failing to obey an order to saturation bomb an enemy controlled village during the Gulf War in order to prevent the death of the innocent civilians. To make him a villain, change that bit of origin and have him bomb the village...and LIKE IT. He would still recieve the experimental airborne combat suit since his father, General Tasker, was in charge of the project. Instead of suggesting he conduct the suit's field trials as a member of a superhero team, he "arranges" the suit's theft and takes up with VIPER as the supervillain, Strafe, the leader of L.A's Viper Nest airborne division.

So, using our own characters... what if your super hero(s) had "Joined the dark side"? What would have happened to do it, and what would they be like?

This one was waaay too easy. I'm currently playing as a PC a character who is an NPC villain in my own campaign. The idea was to go back to a point before he "went bad" and have him take a different path. So I know exactly what he would have been like.

My character is a disembodied shadow with abilities that have little to do with the question at hand. He believes he has been sent by a higher power to lead "his people" (all other shadows, whom he believes to be alive) from the darkness to the light - to save them in the messianic sense.

In accordance with his current philosophy, this means helping human beings (who he calls companions) since it is through a "training period" of subservience to humans that his people learn the lessons needed to make their journey into the afterlife. He thinks of human beings essentially as nothing more than cocoons. Of course, to protect his fellow shadows, he must protect their humans. Not very heroic from a human standpoint, but at least he's on the right side.

The character as a villain is mostly the same but he believes that human beings have enslaved their shadows and that his mission is to free them. As a villain, he leads a large cult dedicated to this purpose. The decisive moment came when he confronted and killed his human half (an innocent child) to be sure that he would never again be enslaved to him.

Mayday's parents died at age 2 in a fiery car accident, causing her to grow up with her grandparents who instilled a sense of noblesse oblige and responsibility in her that her parents would not have. The loss of her grandparents and parents both, could also have done it if the new guardian were out to hold onto what is rightfully hers and forced her to run away.

With her mental abilities beginning to show and the knack for lockpicking that she learned out of curiousity to know things (also hacking) it wouldn't be hard to fall into bad company and start moving up the food chain. She'd probably end up either in P.S.I., Eurostar (shes far easier to get along with than Mentalla but can be ruthless), or working for some brilliant megalomaniac as a Science Advisor/Trusted Lieutenant, wearing leather bustiers to work and learning how to use a bullwhip.

Our GM recently created a clone of Mayday. The French government decided two of their national heroine/mascot was twice as good. The clone is being raised by an Ambassador, believing him her father) and has all the wealth and gadgets she could want, a globetrotting lifestyle and not much to keep her on the Good Side. Overly heavy handed interference by the government could cause her to rebel. Offers of new 'toys'... opportunities to prove how brainy she is, even if she is only 12 could easily result in people dying and I dont see her being overly bothered if they did. Her mental powers are to be used, and invade minds she does.

Neither Mayday or clone grew up with siblings or friends their own age. Both are raised by elders of the WWII generation. Mayday has hundreds of people relying on her to keep her in line. The clone has none, and no emotional attachments to people to keep her in line.

I wouldnt be surprised if the clone knew her government and 'father' had plans to use her, and had plans of her own to counter theirs. Plans involving alot of explosions both physical and otherwise. Growing up in an Ambassador's residence, with daily access to the mind of the Ambassador, his staff, and hence to the secret information passing through them... Using their own codes and passwords, it would be ridiculously easy for her to hack the systems.

Marjorie is ruthless but her goals are for an improved (in her view) world. If her ideas of 'improved' were a bit more dark she'd have a string of ghouls in control of major political positions, would control enough criminal enterprises to buy almost any politician she didn't ghoul. Ninja assassins would hunt and slay her enemies, the world would be less polluted (she likes greenery) but her methods for inducing a greener world would destroy alot of lives. Anyone that interfered with The Plan would have to be removed, by death or by destroying their ability to cause her trouble. Their offspring as well, none of this heroic revenge in 20 years stuff for her.

She was a sorceress at one time and the change to vampire was not her choice. She'd be taking her revenge in buckets on any vampire within her grasp with only the Ancient Vampires power to hold her in check. Destroying them would be a part of her ultimate plan however. It will simply take a long time to achieve it.

Pretty easy for Assault: he gets actively involved in trying to overthrow some of the many governments he dislikes. Instant super-terrorist.

In his earlier more mercenary days: less scruples about who he worked for. Essentially he was a superpowered security guard. Working for the wrong employer, he could become hired muscle for VIPER or someone of the sort.

Alan

Flare. Energy projector/absorber. Could easily have gone down a different path.

Character was very self-absorbed, follwed his own self-interest. He gained his powers after fusing with an energy being from a higher-order dimension who was a good guy fleeing from his evil society.

His rationale for becoming a hero is that the heroes get more chicks. He basks in the acclaim and popularity, but it is also due to the unconcious influence of his other half. As the character has developed his heroic side has emerged more as his powers increased and his two 'souls' have merged more fully.

Easy to see where his self interest might have been pushed if the being he merged with was not so altruistic. Start of with petty crime and go from there, getting worse as his power level increased.

Oberon

Re: If your heroes had gone down a darker path

Originally posted by Hermit

Scary to think about but fun. Hmm. My first character Neutron (sorry but I named him I heard of Neutron from The Conquerors) came from the old Viper background, getting powers from an experiment and busted out, realizing Viper didn't care about him at all. Yes, I also realize that was a run-on sentence. If he stayed on the dark side, he'd probably one of the most-feared villains Viper could throw at you, short of Viperia. He's around 650 experience now. His 'Neutron Explosion' attack can level a 10 story building to the ground.

For my character to go evil is all too easy, as my character is a mentalist who's powers are growing (read earning Xps with more games played). So it becomes easier and easier to control peoples minds.

As power currupts...

Mentalists in my opinion are especially prone to this.

I can set the world right, make it a better place for one and all, no more war no more suffering, everyone will be happy and peaceful, all I need to do is just "fix" that persons mind, and that person as well, and you, and you too...

And down the slippery slope they slide, where they stop... why world domination of course.

Because Mentalists "know" whats best for every one.

Do I need to draw little pictures too, or are you with me ?

:rolleyes:

All to easy for a poor little Mentalist to fall into the shadow...

My current character is easy.

Rune - A superpowered mystical weapon who was awoken from a millenia long sleep to participate in the coming battle between dark and light.

To make him dark, just make sure he is woken by someone with the power to control him. Had it been Dark Sereph who found him rather than some 3rd rate sorcerer, he'd be kicking a** and taking names for the dark side.

Argh. A section in my previous post doesn't make much sense. It should say:

(sorry, but I named him before I heard of Neutron from The Conquerors)

Anyways, this is interesting reading. I have a couple characters I simply can't see turning to the evil side. I think, upon reading these posts, that many of our characters would be fearful to meet if they ever turned evil.

Re: If your heroes had gone down a darker path

Originally posted by Hermit

Interesting idea...it took me a while to mull this one over.

Morningstar (a plasma EBer) would likely have gone the way of a typical villain. Sometime leader, sometime follower, sometime solo--I'd think he would be great as a recurring villain or a nemesis for someone.

How would it have happened? Simple twist of fate. His background relates a tense relationship with a relatively overbearing father. MS left his home and family to make a life for himself and ended up being a hero. It wouldn't be too much of a stretch to assume that he fell into the wrong crowd and was simply lured in by the darkside. He enjoys using his powers, after all, and it's not too outlandish to see him crossing the line.

Tempest--a super soldier type--could just as easily have become fed up with all the crap and taken it upon himself to make things right. He wouldn't be a traditional villain in that he doesn't see himself as such. Rather, it's simply a matter of not feeling that anyone else is qualified to judge him or to place restraints on his actions or morals. Thus, instead of a solid moral background turned to upholding all that is good and just, you get a (semi) megalomaniacal individual with an idea for some sort of metarchy (government by the superpowered).

And poor Blink, barely-out-of-his-teens teleporter...well, he just couldn't get a break, and really, if no one's gonna give him a break then he'll just make his own and screw 'em!

As a side note, this might be a good GM idea, just to shake things up. I could see running this as a one-night only scenario. Have the players run their characters as villains. Have them come up with the crime and carry it out. Assume things like "Code vs. Killing" has become "No Code vs. Killing", and "Honorable" becomes "Ruthless" or some such. It'd certainly be a diverting evening...

Re: Re: If your heroes had gone down a darker path

Originally posted by Vanguard00

As a side note, this might be a good GM idea, just to shake things up. I could see running this as a one-night only scenario. Have the players run their characters as villains. Have them come up with the crime and carry it out. Assume things like "Code vs. Killing" has become "No Code vs. Killing", and "Honorable" becomes "Ruthless" or some such. It'd certainly be a diverting evening...

In Assault's case, he would become a villain by acting on his heroic instincts. For example, George Dubya was in Australia yesterday - villainous Assault would have ripped his head off in the interests of world peace and ending terrorism. Or rather, he would have attempted to do so and been thwarted by the Presidential Superteam.

Alan

Evil Heroes!

Valentine, daughter of Cupid. Uh, let's not go there, these boards aren't rated X.

Raptor. Depending on who you asked, some people thought he already was a villain. I can't see him as the megalomaniac type, so he'd probably find the right idealist to join up with, become his most powerful leiutenant and assassin. Then whack the leader when his plan worked out.

Hope entered the campaign to fight against the Horsemen of the Apocalypse. Joining them seems the natural response, killing people and stealing their souls to fuel her powers.

This is a great topic I always like pondering...the "what ifs". I can't speak for the other members of our team The Millenial Men but I can speak for my main character Rook (no relation to the person posting earlier on this board with same name:D ). Rook actually started out on the dark path in his origins. He was an elite mob enforcer who killed more then his fair share of street thugs, undercover cops, beat walkers, rivals, vigilantes both super powered and not, and whoever else the Dons thought had lived long enough.

Its only because of what Rook sees as an act of god that Rook now fights for good guys (or "capes" as he contemptously calls them). Even with this new out look on life Rook has had a hard time adapting to the life of the hero. Its just not in his nature to save other people for no good reason. Bad habits die hard and some people have died because of Rook's self preservating outlook. He really tries to do the right thing though. Rook does have one thing keeping him going and doing god's work...the priest Father Mulcahey.

There are two ways I see Rook leaving the path of light and going back to the dark. Someone kills Father Mulcahey, or Rook finally gets fed up with the justice system and the revolving doors on the prisons and decides to be more "aggressive" and final in saving lives. Yes this means he would start killing villains and while he might just give the heroes who tried to stop him a good beating he would eventually kill them too just to keep them outta his way.

He wouldn't operate with anyone or team up. When a villain showed up he'd arrive on the scene and if a hero tried to stop him or get in his way then Rook would deal with the villain first ignoring the hero if at all possible to get the villain first then dealing with the hero. So far none of these issues have been a concern.

Rook still tries to save lives and do the right thing, but he walks closer the dark path then any of the other team members of The Millenial Men . Its pretty much agreed amongst the team that Rook is the most powerful member they have. If he turned back to the dark path I'd love to see how the other team members would react and just what they would do.