state of the art comm-suite

Enforcer84

Re: state of the art comm-suite

Hey guys' date=' I'm just trolling for some ideas, I've been using the scrambled radio power from Gadgets and Gear for years for my superteam comm-suite but was wondering if anyone had any builds they were particularly proud of and wanted to share (so that I can steal)[/quote']

I lack the book but think it's either darkness to radio Group/Radio Perception or something based on CE (perception penalty for radio group), with Megascale of course.

Any specific type of builds/powers (attack, utility) or special effect (gadgets) you are after?

Okay, now I read the Threads title again :)

The two obvious candidates are "HRRP" and "Mind Link, Works as Radio Not Mental power, Additionally affected by Hearing (and maybe Visual)" (this has the advantage that overhearing requires some sort of Telepathy with similar Modifiers, so it's very save).

Champions 6E 226 has two communicators.

One Standart Radio Perception/Transmission built (10 AP)

The other an HRRP built.

Both have the option for an "Scrambler". This one is built as VPP of languages, with Cryptography decripting/translating the current langue and normal changing (1 Minute, or Full Phase with Cryptograhpy/System Opeartions) of the VPP switching the language.

Okay, now I read the Threads title again :)

The two obvious candidates are "HRRP" and "Mind Link, Works as Radio Not Mental power, Additionally affected by Hearing (and maybe Visual)" (this has the advantage that overhearing requires some sort of Telepathy with similar Modifiers, so it's very save).

Champions 6E 226 has two communicators.

One Standart Radio Perception/Transmission built (10 AP)

The other an HRRP built.

Both have the option for an "Scrambler". This one is built as VPP of languages, with Cryptography decripting/translating the current langue and normal changing (1 Minute, or Full Phase with Cryptograhpy/System Opeartions) of the VPP switching the language.

yeah that's the one in G&G...IIRC it was:

HRRH

an on board computer (Follower)

VPP language scrambler.

I think some detect for tracking radio signals too.

Wardens Communicator

1. Radio and HUD Unit - 50 km Range: HRRP (Radio Group), Rapid: x10, MegaScale (1m = 1 km; +1); Sense Affected As Radio, Hearing and Sight Group (-1/2), IIF (-1/4)
  2. Satellite Uplink - 50000 km Range: HRRP (Radio Group), Discriminatory, Rapid: x10, MegaScale (1m = 1,000 km; +1 3/4); Limited: Point-to-Point signals to Satellite on Limited Channels (-1), IAF (HRRP Device and Satellite Network; -1/2), Sense Affected As Radio, Hearing and Sight Group (-1/2)
  3. GPS: Detect Location and Altitude 13- (Radio Group), Discriminatory, Rapid: x10, Tracking (16 Active Points); Sense Affected As Radio, Hearing and Sight Group (-1/2), IAF (GPS Device and Satellite Network; -1/2)
  4. Chronometer: Absolute Time Sense (3 Active Points); IIF (-1/4)
  5. Rangefinder: Absolute Range Sense (3 Active Points); IIF (-1/4)
  6. Voice Recorder: Eidetic Memory (5 Active Points); IIF (-1/4)

This is the implanted head set I created for our super group years and years ago . . .

Outsider Headset Mk3

Implanted Transmitter: HRRP (Radio Group), Concealed (-10 with HRRP PER Rolls), Requires Ground-Zero AI to function properly (+0), Remote Activation (+1/4)

Shielding: Radio Group Flash Defense (30 points), Hardened (+1/4); Only to protect Radio Percept/Transmit (-1/4)

Shielding: Power Defense (30 points), Hardened (+1/4); Only protects Radio Percep/Trans (-1/4)

GPS Circuitry: Detect Geographic Location 28-/22- (Unusual Group), Concealed (-10 with Detect PER Rolls), Discriminatory, Analyze, Sense, Transmit (37 Active Points); Always On (-1/2)

Life Sign Monitor: Detect Vital Signs 28-/22- (Unusual Group), Concealed (-10 with Detect PER Rolls), Discriminatory, Analyze, Sense, Transmit; Always On (-1/2)

Concord, couple of questions for ya. Why the "Rapid" on your Detects and HRRP? Another question, and it might be group/game specific but why two HRRP? Wouldn't the one cover both the short and long range transmissions? The way my group did was as long as there were satellites, you could reach any where on the globe.

Vanguard' date=' why the power Defense? Drains do not affect senses at all.[/quote']

Uh . . . . They don't?

I didn't think they could effect inherent sense groups like Sight, Smell, etc but thought they could effect Powers based on those unless purchased with the Inherent adder.

Huh, if that's the case then . . wow . . learn something new every day.

Uh . . . . They don't?

I didn't think they could effect inherent sense groups like Sight, Smell, etc but thought they could effect Powers based on those unless purchased with the Inherent adder.

Huh, if that's the case then . . wow . . learn something new every day.

Okay, I was only half right there. They do not affect sense in general as that is what sense affecting powers are there for.

6E2 13 goes into detail what adjustment powers can do to senses and how they work. For this built the dispel might be the biggest concern.

But you can just buy Defenses with a -2 Limitation "Only for Specific Focus" (6E1 378)

Also in 6E you can buy IPE instead of a lot of Concealed, to get completely invisible active senses.

Okay, I was only half right there. They do not affect sense in general as that is what sense affecting powers are there for.

6E2 13 goes into detail what adjustment powers can do to senses and how they work. For this built the dispel might be the biggest concern.

But you can just buy Defenses with a -2 Limitation "Only for Specific Focus" (6E1 378)

Also in 6E you can buy IPE instead of a lot of Concealed, to get completely invisible active senses.

Ah. Okay, I haven't visited this Comm build since I created it in 5th Ed. Wasn't really paying attention to what Drains actually affected either. Thanks for the heads up.

And I didn't go with IPE 'cause I didn't want them completely invisible, just really hard to detect. :)

Ah. Okay, I haven't visited this Comm build since I created it in 5th Ed. Wasn't really paying attention to what Drains actually affected either. Thanks for the heads up.

And I didn't go with IPE 'cause I didn't want them completely invisible, just really hard to detect. :)

-10 in hero is basically -100% chance for a d% system.

Does power defense guard against Dispel?

-10 in hero is basically -100% chance for a d% system.
I don't think I agree with this. Comic book level military grade or specialty equipment could easily have an 18- on a Detect (or provide a bonus of +5 or 8 giving a talented person an 18 to 20- depending on how it is built). -10 to an 18- leaves you at 8-, which is Familiarity level with a 25% chance. This is part of why I hate people saying each +/-1 equals about a 10% change, it simply isn't true. It's like saying X amount of defense makes you functionally invincible, it all depends on the campaign. A super whose powers are based on manipulating radio frequencies might very well have a 20- in seeing radio waves (and might have Tracking as well, whether it is "realistic" or not) or a power armor or gageteer character with a small VPP might be able to whip up such a device, or even a detective archtype with access to really good tracking/bugging equipment.

Does power defense guard against Dispel?

Yes.

I don't think I agree with this. Comic book level military grade or specialty equipment could easily have an 18- on a Detect (or provide a bonus of +5 or 8 giving a talented person an 18 to 20- depending on how it is built).[...] A super whose powers are based on manipulating radio frequencies might very well have a 20- in seeing radio waves (and might have Tracking as well' date=' whether it is "realistic" or not) or a power armor or gageteer character with a small VPP might be able to whip up such a device, or even a detective archtype with access to really good tracking/bugging equipment.[/quote']

Instead of investign that much points into higher Detection Roll, it might be better to just have a "Detect hiddien Communications" - wich could in my opinion even overcome IPE vs Radio (if you don't put it into radio).

Yes.Instead of investign that much points into higher Detection Roll' date=' it might be better to just have a "Detect hiddien Communications" - wich could in my opinion even overcome IPE vs Radio (if you don't put it into radio).[/quote']Perhaps. Still totally dependant on the campaign. The -10 makes it functionally invisible, but still beatable. IPE makes it actually invisible needing a specific power purchased with the sole goal of negating the IPE. I know I'd rather game with a GM that chose the first choice over the latter. Either way a -10 does not equal -100% in all campaigns, especially superheroic ones.

Either way a -10 does not equal -100% in all campaigns' date=' especially superheroic ones.[/quote']

The base roll with Starting Characterics is 11-. When you have 20- you counter the -100% with your +90%. And come down 10% worse than an unmodified 11- (at 10-). As long as the difference is not greater than 5, the 1 = 10% rules get's pretty close.

The base roll with Starting Characterics is 11-. When you have 20- you counter the -100% with your +90%. And come down 10% worse than an unmodified 11- (at 10-). As long as the difference is not greater than 5' date=' the 1 = 10% rules get's pretty close.[/quote']"As long as the difference isn't greater than 5..." but we were talking about a -10 in the first place. -10 is a greater difference than 5 and you claimed it = -100%, which would still be 10% per 1 point adjustment. You are contradicting yourself.

Perhaps. Still totally dependant on the campaign. The -10 makes it functionally invisible' date=' but still beatable. IPE makes it actually invisible needing a specific power purchased with the sole goal of negating the IPE. I know I'd rather game with a GM that chose the first choice over the latter. Either way a -10 does not equal -100% in all campaigns, especially superheroic ones.[/quote']

Exactly. It's game dependent and in the game I was playing in, the -10 meant that some of the Super Villain teams we were going up against would have a 50/50 shot of detecting our communications, some of them would have an even better chance at detecting it.

Either way, if I was going to use that specific build in another game, I'd have no problems modifying the build to suit what the GM was comfortable with.

"As long as the difference isn't greater than 5..." but we were talking about a -10 in the first place. -10 is a greater difference than 5 and you claimed it = -100%' date=' which would still be 10% per 1 point adjustment. You are contradicting yourself.[/quote']

You are ignore the giant Bonus you have. You have a +9 on your Roll! For wich you have paid propably some points (in characteristics, Skill and other Bonus types).

Wich counters the -10 for Difficulty almost completely.

So you end up with a net -1.

Take a look at the bellcurve, 10- is 50% chance.

If you have a net penalty of 4 (-40%) you end up with a CoS of 10%.

If you ahve a net Bonus of 4 (+40%) you CoS is 90%

If you have +/-5 you only have 95%/5% respectively. The same chance as rolling a Autofail/Autowin in D&D.

Everything beyond that is only to protect you from more penalties/prevents additional Bonuses to translate to CoS.