Gates and gating

Beast

I was thing about buying with XP a gate version Blip's Teleporting

Now here is the question

I buy mega scale t-port constant say x4 mass costs end to start up

could an object or a person larger than the mass goes through the gate at the x4 mass per Blip's phase

so a 1600kg car takes 4 phases

Blip would of course have to be at the gate holding it open

should she get knocked away or KO'ed anything in the gate would be bounced back

Re: Gates and gating

By raw?

Afaik No. T-port either covers the full mass or nothing moves anywhere. Also, using Megascale means a lot of extra Time to use the gate in the first place so we have even more time.

The extra Mass Replaces your STR when determining how much you can move with you, so propably the Encumberance Rules are a better palce to look.

By logic?

Ask your GM. Water should always be allowed to "seep" through, but otherwise raw says now.

Ooh! IS there a useful advantage there? What are the pros and cons of something like this? If you can teleport 100kg and there is a 1600kg car that you want to send somewhere then you need to advantage your TP to make that happen. However, if you did not want to spend that much what would be the value in allowing additional items to be sent with each additional 100kg requiring you to maintain the power for an extra step on the time chart?

I am thinking that it is a definite advantage but I am not sure where I would price it. I dont think that there is obvious abuse potential and there would be effective limitations on size by how long you would have to maintain the power (this would definitely attract long term endurance in my game).

Doc

using the time chart would make it a big time problem for really big things and not worthwhile IMHO

I think going with X amount per phase would be fine

Ooh! IS there a useful advantage there? What are the pros and cons of something like this? If you can teleport 100kg and there is a 1600kg car that you want to send somewhere then you need to advantage your TP to make that happen. However, if you did not want to spend that much what would be the value in allowing additional items to be sent with each additional 100kg requiring you to maintain the power for an extra step on the time chart?

I am thinking that it is a definite advantage but I am not sure where I would price it. I dont think that there is obvious abuse potential and there would be effective limitations on size by how long you would have to maintain the power (this would definitely attract long term endurance in my game).

Doc

I think all you need is the Increased Mass adder. If it takes a long time to move big objects, then have the first x2 mass with the limitation Extra Phase, the second x2 mass with Full Turn, etc. Really this is just a Teleportation with a set of partial limitations on the Increased Mass.

Up to 10 pts yes

But I was looking at even bigger things

1600kg Car was just off the top of my head

It does have Constant and that was what I was looking at to have as the mover of larger objects

The gate rules itself are pretty specific:

You need the Range (megascale, NCM doublings), the full extra mass and the higher valued "Area of Effect" for gates that fit large objects.

About the 10 points:

it would get you two doublings, if adding Adders via Pushing wasn't forbidden. The GM might allow it with a additional Power Roll one a case by case basis.

It would certainly be possible to make a fitting power (at the same Active Points) using the Power Skill Rules for high Power Campaigns in APG I 39, as a one time thing. It would require to sacrifice a lot of range to do it, but it would be possible.

If you go for extra Mass Route, consider "Cost x10 times Endurance" Limitation (-4). This is simulating being able to "push farther" very well. If you have a lot of advantages, consider to lower the Extra End cost until it fits the 1 to 1 conversion rate. It doesn't require any Rolls and you can add normal pushing on top of it (if you have the endurance to spare).

Doc

Can't you just push the TP power to accommodate the extra mass for a short time? As a GM I would allow it.

Given Pushing is for extra effort when it's really critical, a RAW approach would not allow this as an everyday occurence.

I think all you need is the Increased Mass adder. If it takes a long time to move big objects' date=' then have the first x2 mass with the limitation Extra Phase, the second x2 mass with Full Turn, etc. Really this is just a Teleportation with a set of partial limitations on the Increased Mass.[/quote']

I'd be inclined to agree. With 400 kg paid at full price, the next doubling to 800 kg should qualify for "extra phase". The next step is Extra Turn, which would cover 2.4 Tonnes based on 400 kg per phase. 2 more doublings accommodates that (3.2 Tonnes). A minute should get us up to 12 Tonnes (5x 2.4 tonnes) so 12.8 tonnes is to more doublings, requiring a minute.

60 tonnes in 5 minutes? Aren't you out of END yet? ;) 3 more doublings is 100 tonnes. 240 tonnes in 20 minutes? 2 more doublings (400 tonnes). 720 tonnes in an hour? 1 more doubling (800 tonnes). 2,520 tonnes in 5 hours? 3,200 tonnes w/ 2 more doublings. Full day? 12,096 tonnes? 2 more doublings. How long can you keep the portal open? That's the cap for time, so that caps the doublings.

As a GM, at some point I'm inclined to handwave it and say "OK, more time is more mass - if you have that much time available, you could ship the blasted thing, so there's no more advantage!"

I buy mega scale t-port constant say x4 mass costs end to start up

could an object or a person larger than the mass goes through the gate at the x4 mass per Blip's phase

so a 1600kg car takes 4 phases

My GM has allowed this, though it isn't a common event. The first time was a fire-fighting exercise with a gate in a lake and a calculation of the flow rate.

It once got used as a kind of psychological attack against baddies in a heavily armored vehicle. The gate disk was cast under the wheels and the car started slowly sinking through. The crew panicked and bailed out before it was half way down.

Given Pushing is for extra effort when it's really critical' date=' a RAW approach would not allow this as an everyday occurence.[/quote']

Yeah I think the GM has to use this sparingly. If you're trying to teleport a sinking boat fillled with civilians to a safe beach, this is probably a "really critical" situation and the GM should allow it. If you're looking to save shipping on your next powered armor invention, then no. Remember, if a character runs out of END and continues to spend "END", they start taking STUN and finally BODY. This could be a life threatening procedure, and self sacrifice is of course very heroic in the right circumstances and fits with the genre very well.

Yeah I think the GM has to use this sparingly. If you're trying to teleport a sinking boat fillled with civilians to a safe beach' date=' this is probably a "really critical" situation and the GM should allow it. If you're looking to save shipping on your next powered armor invention, then no. Remember, if a character runs out of END and continues to spend "END", they start taking STUN and finally BODY. This could be a life threatening procedure, and self sacrifice is of course very heroic in the right circumstances and fits with the genre very well.[/quote']

Even then, pushing cannot be used to give or increase adders. I could see it as okay for extra Mass (the same way a Speedster could boost his STR), but by RAW it's not allowed.

In Champions Villains vol. 1 they have an example of Skarn using his VPP to open a huge dimensional gate in front of a planet in its orbital path to transport it, and note that it takes many Phases to pass through because of its huge mass. I'm guessing that additional Phases equal to the multiple of the gate's Teleportation capacity would also be the norm, rather than needing to buy an Advantage based on steps up the Time Chart.

In Champions Villains vol. 1 they have an example of Skarn using his VPP to open a huge dimensional gate in front of a planet in its orbital path to transport it' date=' and note that it takes many Phases to pass through because of its huge mass. I'm guessing that additional Phases equal to the multiple of the gate's Teleportation capacity would also be the norm, rather than needing to buy an Advantage based on steps up the Time Chart.[/quote']

How big is his VPP(Controll, Reserve)