Biochemical Body Control?

FenrisUlf

Wpuld like some advice here on a character I'm working on. He's got the power to affect other people's bodies on a chemical level (i.e., he can make them hallucinate by creating a microdose of LSD in their brains, can do an END Drain by filling them with fatigue poisons, etc.). I have just two questions:

First, what sort of powers do you think would be best for this character? His 'Biochemical Control' is done up as a Multipower, and his biggest limitation is he can't affect people with body-affecting powers (i.e., they can change their metabolism so quickly he can't 'latch on') and his powers are thus far limited to human metabolisms/bodies. He's got the two mentioned above as well as a NND flash (fills the eyeballs with fluid; it drains away in a few seconds) and a muscular paralysis Entangle. Any other ideas?

And does anyone know of any good basic books on biochemistry or the like so I can pick up something at least vaguely scientific sounding for Doctor Adrenaline to use when describing what he does? He is the team scientist/doctor; I really ought to provide him with a somewhat credible vocabulary...

Can't help you with the book though I'm sure various power drinks would have plenty of pseudo science about body enhancing properties of their product.

As to powers:

Drains- Fatigue poisons, vasal constriction, irreguler heartbeat, bronchial constriction, Kidney or liver shutdown.

Aids- Adrenaline release, seratonin release, endorphin release, increased oxygenation of the blood going to the brain

NND- effects would vary but stimulating the lungs or heart to behave erratically would stop any one with even a vaguely human biochemistry I'd phrase it in terms like inducing palpitations or cardiac flux.

Flash- All the bodies sensory systems trigger and run by chemical signals so screwing with those sounds rerwarding, Synestesia- a kind of cross circuiting of the senses where impressions from one sense, say sight, get misread by the brain and instead are recieved as impulses from another sense say hearing. Not only do you not see but you have a mental illusion of something utterly unrelated at the same time.

Mind control, with limitations can only trigger preexisting stress influenced psych or physical limitations- essentially putting someone through agonizing biochemical stress which triggers a physical lapse of conscious control like a berserk or withdrawing into a catatonic state. I suppose you could potentially manipulate most emotions.

Dispel- vs poisons and drug effect powers.-creating antitoxins, cleansing the system, anti venins etc.

RKA- many ways but just manipulating the Insulin levels would screw with most people nicely.

You've already got a good entangle

Drain vs skills, perhaps linked with Int drain- causing hypoxia-lack of oxygen to the brain.

Healing vs drains as wiping out fatigue poisons.

Effecting crowds by using a change environment, create caffeine in crowd, diminishes fatigue etc.

I'll try for more later.

There was a villain in New Warriors , part of the Psionex group, who could do things like that. Don't remember his name, though I'm sure someone here will shortly.

As far as books go, if you have a used bookstore nearby, esp. if it is a university town, go cruise their stacks - should be something close enough to use.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I'll offer one of my standard suggestions: check out The UNTIL Superpowers Database, specifically the "Body Control Powers" section. It's chock-full of powers that might be appropriate for the character you're describing; the Online USPD also has some powers in this category. And we've already done the math for ya. ;)

I remember a comic character years ago (think it was DP7), who had the power of "endocrine control".

Essentially, he could control your body through the chemicals you yourself manufacture. He was widely hated as a villain type.

He could release adrenaline to make you hyper, endorphins to make you happy, and could turn off your kidneys.

Re: Biochemical Body Control?

Originally posted by FenrisUlf

And does anyone know of any good basic books on biochemistry or the like so I can pick up something at least vaguely scientific sounding for Doctor Adrenaline to use when describing what he does? He is the team scientist/doctor; I really ought to provide him with a somewhat credible vocabulary...

No added ideas but Stryer's Biochemistry is a very good, readable book that you should be able to pick up cheap second hand.

A better solution might be Schaum's Outline of Biochemistry

which is essentially a study guide to biochemistry and so should give you all the techno-speak without the 'unecessary' detail! :)

A quick look on Amazon showed it to be available for $12 new and $8 used. If you are in a university town you might be able to pick it up even cheaper - or just consult it ad hoc in the library.

Originally posted by Steve Long

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I'll offer one of my standard suggestions: check out The UNTIL Superpowers Database, specifically the "Body Control Powers" section. It's chock-full of powers that might be appropriate for the character you're describing; the Online USPD also has some powers in this category. And we've already done the math for ya. ;)

THanks Mister Long, but I already have it. It's where I got the character's 'adrenaline boost' from. :)

I just asked here because I hoped there'd be someone on the list who actually knows something about biochemistry so I could get some quick pointers.

Thanks all.

Here's one I've given an NPC: Mental Illusion, Based on Con, No Range, Cumulative with the end effect bought up heavily, one to make the subject believe they're experiencing a biological effect, must meet the +10 "remember as real" value. This works better for the "emotion" powers than Mind Control in my opinion, as senses should be handled under a sense-related power eh?

How about inflicting them with fast-acting rejection? Modify either a particular body part or all the white blood cells so that they don't recognize the cells as being part of the same person. This will result in the body's immune system attacking organs and tissue, which would suck. (This is, IIRC, what happens with transplant rejection syndrome and rheumatoid arthritis. I'm not 100% perfect on the diseases, but I am more confidant about how it works). I would recommend a NND Killing Attack Does Body, perhaps with the Delayed Effect.

Resource

For terms and simple look ups:

http://www.hyperdictionary.com/medical

I use this one alot (I'm a DBA/programmer at a large hospital).

In general, you might also look at gradual effect or extra time for some effects, these can be really scary when the person affected has no idea how long it will go on for.

Simply put, you can do damage many many ways with biochemical powers. If you look at almost any chronic illness you will get clues how to do this. For example, if you mess with salt transfer between cell walls, yuo can effectively shut the system down by filling the lungs and digestive tract with mucus that is sticky and copulent (cystic fibrosis). Insulin levels were mentioned earlier (diabetes). Increasing angiotensin production in the kidneys could bring the onset of heart attack (narrows blood vessels).

Examples are easy, just peruse the web.

- Ernie

Drain PRE, defined as inflicting uncontrollable diarrhea on the unfortunate target of the attack - that tends to drain one's confidence and make one a lot less impressive.

I seem to recall Jean Grey doing this to someone in NEW X-MEN sometime in the past couple years.

BTW, messing with seratonin and dopamine (neurotransmitters) are also good ways to simulate depression (SPD/EGO Drain) and psychosis (Mental Illusions, no control over what hallucinaton the target experiences).