Question: Multipower with Dissimilar Foci

sporeworld

We had a Supreme Court style discussion over the exact mechanics of a Focus Situation. Hoping you can shed some light.

A guy has a Multipower described as A-MAZING accuracy with weapons - the kind that can do ridiculous things (like shoot Green Lanterns ring off his hand). But other effects of bullets are in there as well (RKA for example).

We said this power MUST have a focus - ideally a gun (or bullet). To keep this simple and themed, we said it had to be a gun. So, OAF, replaceable.

The same character also has a Combat Suit (think Ghost from StarCraft) that includes a Targeting Helmet that improves Accuracy. This is ALSO considered an Obvious Focus - but in this case, Inobvious Accessible.

Now, let's say that player builds a MultiPower defined as "Combat Suit", with the Pool points limited "IIF". Then, he uniquely defines each slot (OAF for gun, IIF for suite, IAF for helmet). How does this play out when the SLOTS are differently focused from the Pool.

Example: Combat Suit Multipower: Inobvious Inaccessible Focus (the Suit Itself).

Targeting Helmet: +OCV as an IAF.

Gun: RKA as an OAF.

We're thinking that IF the Suit (IIF) is damaged, the pool is inaccessible. The helmet won't work, and neither will the targeting. But the fact that the gun (or any gun) SHOULD still work, seems to suggest that the power simply doesn't belong in THAT Power Pool. OR, the GameMaster can rule that if the suit is inert, the character can get text book damage for whatever that class of handgun can manage, and that's it.

Am I close...?

Re: Question: Multipower with Dissimilar Foci

We're thinking that IF the Suit (IIF) is damaged' date=' the pool is inaccessible. The helmet won't work, and neither will the targeting. But the fact that the gun (or any gun) SHOULD still work, seems to suggest that the power simply doesn't belong in THAT Power Pool.[/quote']

This right here. The different values of focus, the logical inconsistency, and the 'why is your always on helmet in a changable MP'. They are separate.

Chris.

I would question why you would put them all in a Multipower at all - with or without a "Focus" Limitation (and no, not all Powered Armor has to be a Focus, and not all guns are a Focus either).

You either using parts at a time, have a giant pool with a bunch of slots not using all, or most, of it, or are using Variable slots.

All the Powered Armor may share a Focus (OIF is common) without being in a Power Framework. The Gun is, if it has multiple settings, a good candidate for a Multipower.

As for shooting the Green Lanterns Ring off his hand - well, if the Lantern bought that ring IIF, he'll be wasting a whole Turn "shooting" and I would ask what SFX are involved in him doing that. If the GL didn't even bother using a Focus Limitation he'll soon find out what a useless endeavor that action was...

The key point here is that the helmet and gun should not be in the same multipower. The character isn't going to take off their helmet to shoot. Make them seperate focuses ( focii? ). And if the gun can be used in different modes, then that can be a focused multipower. But they should not be together.

If, instead, you had an "Arsenal" multipower with several guns, knives, swords and batons, then that multipower would be OIF, and each individual slot could have OAF applied.

Yup. I think we're on track. It's weird having multiple Power Pools, but it themes better as common energy (PSI) concentrated into distinct effects.

It'll probably look more like this:

MultiPower Pool 1: PSI ENCOUNTER SUIT - IIF

Personal PSI Powers flow through the suit (Ghost from StarCraft)

Invisibility OR Teleport OR a few other odds and ends.

MultiPower Pool #2: HELMET - IAF

Utility Powers - Targeting Lenses OR Flash Defense Lenses OR Heat Vision Lenses, etc

MultiPower Pool #3: TARGETING EFFECTS (maybe OAF?)

This is a natural PSI power to alter the trajectory pre-selected (OAF) moving objects (thrown rocks, bullets, etc).

Physical Damage OR RKA OR Modified Telekinesis (shooting a gun out of someone's hand), etc.

The helmet COULD just be Unified powers, or use the Linked modifier. But we prefer the mechanic of the pool.

As for shooting the Green Lanterns Ring off his hand - well, if the Lantern bought that ring IIF, he'll be wasting a whole Turn "shooting" and I would ask what SFX are involved in him doing that. If the GL didn't even bother using a Focus Limitation he'll soon find out what a useless endeavor that action was...

This idea is from a 70's comic where Green Arrow shot off Green Lantern's ring. We were thinking with enough skill at manipulating the trajectory of, say a bullet... the character could shoot off someone's ear ring, lock a car door, turn off a Doomsday machine, etc. Ha! Maybe even disarm a bomb!

I'm guessing the definition of "Obvious Accessible" would mean you could immediately determine it's remove-ability, right? So ring on finger SHOULD be removable... with the right approach.

To that end, we looked at STR Usable at Range, Telekinesis (Fine Manipulation) and Stretching as possible approaches, with TK leading the way. It would need serious (SERIOUS) explaining every time, but some things would be conceivable. Shoot a can ON a post - easy. Shoot the can OFF the post - potentially trickier.

Example: Opponent wears a Magneto-like helmet. We're imagining something from "Shoot 'Em Up" where the ability to fire several rounds to maneuver the person and helmet into position, allows for a final well-placed shot to pop off the helmet (it happened to me in Paintball - no lie - guy unloaded his smg from the foxhole below and shot my face mask and goggles about 3" out of position - what a mess).

The effect SHOULD be "unbelievable", since it really kind of IS. TK guidance is responsible, NOT the bullet, gun or the shooter's "aim".

Yup. I think we're on track. It's weird having multiple Power Pools, but it themes better as common energy (PSI) concentrated into distinct effects.

It'll probably look more like this:

MultiPower Pool 1: PSI ENCOUNTER SUIT - IIF

Personal PSI Powers flow through the suit (Ghost from StarCraft)

Invisibility OR Teleport OR a few other odds and ends.

MultiPower Pool #2: HELMET - IAF

Utility Powers - Targeting Lenses OR Flash Defense Lenses OR Heat Vision Lenses, etc

MultiPower Pool #3: TARGETING EFFECTS (maybe OAF?)

This is a natural PSI power to alter the trajectory pre-selected (OAF) moving objects (thrown rocks, bullets, etc).

Physical Damage OR RKA OR Modified Telekinesis (shooting a gun out of someone's hand), etc.

The helmet COULD just be Unified powers, or use the Linked modifier. But we prefer the mechanic of the pool.

It's worth a note that a group of powers using the same Focus do not have to be part of a Power Pool at all. Or Unified. Or Linked.

They could just share the same Focus. Then you use the Focus Damage rules to determine if and what functions are knocked out.

I'm guessing the definition of "Obvious Accessible" would mean you could immediately determine it's remove-ability, right? So ring on finger SHOULD be removable... with the right approach.

Yes you can pretty much tell immediately that an Obvious Accessible Focus is removable. However, that doesn't equal that a "ring on finger SHOULD be removable". Most people tend to build a ring as an Inaccessible Focus.

Lockout Limitation.

Might work

QM

Ah! Forgot about that one. Brings up a question: Can someone have a Lockout Limitation on a power in a Pool related to ANOTHER power in the SAME pool...? This WOULD be a limitation, if the powers were, say, both 40 Active Points, and the Pool was at LEAST 80 points. Right?

It's worth a note that a group of powers using the same Focus do not have to be part of a Power Pool at all. Or Unified. Or Linked.

Yup. In the case of the helmet, I COULD call each lens Linked and Locked Out, so I'd only use them one at a time. But the Multipower Framework is thematically correct, cheaper and allows for many more slots of different lenses - all usable ONLY one at a time (so, no telescopic infared vision... but that WOULD be pretty cool!).

We had a Supreme Court style discussion over the exact mechanics of a Focus Situation. Hoping you can shed some light.

A guy has a Multipower described as A-MAZING accuracy with weapons - the kind that can do ridiculous things (like shoot Green Lanterns ring off his hand).

That is just a bunch of Target Size Penalty Skill Level. The ring is a (destructible) Focus.

We said this power MUST have a focus - ideally a gun (or bullet). To keep this simple and themed' date=' we said it had to be a gun. So, OAF, replaceable.[/quote']

By raw that would be "OIF, (Firearm of Opportunity; -1/2)".

Inacessible, because it is hard to totally deprive him of this power. Just taking away his one gun/sword isn't enough, you have to clear the entire area of guns/swords. And he could use all his guns for this trick.

Blast, OIF of Opportinity is often used for "Throwing Master" abilities.

The same character also has a Combat Suit (think Ghost from StarCraft) that includes a Targeting Helmet that improves Accuracy. This is ALSO considered an Obvious Focus - but in this case, Inobvious Accessible.

Now, let's say that player builds a MultiPower defined as "Combat Suit", with the Pool points limited "IIF". Then, he uniquely defines each slot (OAF for gun, IIF for suite, IAF for helmet). How does this play out when the SLOTS are differently focused from the Pool.

I think the usual approach is:

Take the minimum Focus limitation that all Slots must have on the Multipower (example: OIF).

Then apply that Focus limitation or a more severe to each slot (example: all slots are either OIF or OAF).

When your multipower includes inacaessible and inobvious Foci, then the best you can get is IIF on the Framework. Even if most of your guns are OAF's.

There are Durable and Indestructable Foci. Even if the GL Ring wasn't one of those (which it probably would be) pointing out that they can break something that they specifically said they want to simply take away/disarm (and may want to use themselves) is not exactly helpful.

That is just a bunch of Target Size Penalty Skill Level. The ring is a (destructible) Focus.

By raw that would be "OIF, (Firearm of Opportunity; -1/2)".

Inacessible, because it is hard to totally deprive him of this power. Just taking away his one gun/sword isn't enough, you have to clear the entire area of guns/swords. And he could use all his guns for this trick.

Blast, OIF of Opportinity is often used for "Throwing Master" abilities.

Makes sense. But how does that play out in Fantasy campaigns. A power with broad sword (OAF), and the sword breaksm then he borrows a friend's similar Broad sword. Are they both generally OIF of Opportunity, or is this built all wrong, and should be, say "+1d6 RKA, Only Usable with Broadswords". I'm a little confused. Presumably, Green Lantern doesn't need A ring, he needs THE ring. I also get confused about a power with charges, representing the ammo FOR the gun, not necessarily IN the gun. If a Green ARROW guy gets his bow broken, he can still hurl his arrows, or possibly take his arch enemy's bow and use his arrows with that, right? So how does THAT math out...? Are the arrows OAF? Is there some kind of 0 Range, must be hurled, thrown or launched?

There are Durable and Indestructable Foci. Even if the GL Ring wasn't one of those (which it probably would be) pointing out that they can break something that they specifically said they want to simply take away/disarm (and may want to use themselves) is not exactly helpful.

Right. And as I understand it; a ring that can only be used by the one character, is indestructible, irreplaceable and unremoveable, isn't really a legitimate focus at all. Correct?

Right. And as I understand it; a ring that can only be used by the one character' date=' is indestructible, irreplaceable and unremoveable, isn't really a legitimate focus at all. Correct?[/quote']

Right. But Inaccessable Foci are not "unremoveable". They generally can't be removed in combat. Knock someone out and you can take their foci. Ever see a magician take someone's watch and put it on themselves with no one noticing? In a non-combat situation a good Slight of Hand (or whatever skill the GM says would be needed for "pick pocketing" and such) may remove the ring. Someone with teleportation/apparation powers (such as Teleportation UAA designed for removing foci) could still get the focus and thus remove the powers granted by it.

Often if an Inaccessable Foci is a Personal focus (no one else can use it) and an Indestructible focus (so it can't be damaged in combat) than if it ever is lost it is lost for some time. In other words the GM may make up for the lack of frequency of the limitation by making it more of an issue for longer when it does finally get lost/stolen. If it is a one-of-a-kind item (which unbreakable things magically usable by one person in the whole world often are) than losing it may require a long time to get it back or replace it, you can't just go down to the jewelry store and pick up another The One Ring. It all depends on the campaign, the GM, and making sure everyone is on the same page when the character/power in question is being built.

Makes sense. But how does that play out in Fantasy campaigns. A power with broad sword (OAF)' date=' and the sword breaksm then he borrows a friend's similar Broad sword. Are they both generally OIF of Opportunity, or is this built all wrong, and should be, say "+1d6 RKA, Only Usable with Broadswords". I'm a little confused. Presumably, Green Lantern doesn't need A ring, he needs THE ring. I also get confused about a power with charges, representing the ammo FOR the gun, not necessarily IN the gun. If a Green ARROW guy gets his bow broken, he can still hurl his arrows, or possibly take his arch enemy's bow and use his arrows with that, right? So how does THAT math out...? Are the arrows OAF? Is there some kind of 0 Range, must be hurled, thrown or launched?[/quote']

Fantasy Campaigns usually call that equipment and don't care at all how it's built.

But normally, OAF is far more accurate and accepted a build than OIF "gun of opportunity" for the actual gun. Trick shots (like a stand alone Autofire) are usually "OIF Gun Of Opportunity", not the gun itself.

Fantasy Campaigns usually call that equipment and don't care at all how it's built.

But normally, OAF is far more accurate and accepted a build than OIF "gun of opportunity" for the actual gun. Trick shots (like a stand alone Autofire) are usually "OIF Gun Of Opportunity", not the gun itself.

OK- so this has me back to calling the Trick Shot Multipower Pool carrying an "OAF limitation - must posses usable High-Velocity Projectile Weapon", or something more cleverly phrased. So much to consider.

Related Question: Could someone limit points of OCV as "Must be wearing corrective lenses" to represent someone who can't see squat without their glasses? If so, could this be applied to INT for purposes of Perception Rolls? Or Missile Deflection, etc?

The player in question couldn't grab just anyone's glasses. They'd need to be at or near their prescription level.

AND, if all this is possible, how can it be reverse engineered to represent "Targeting Glasses"...? For that matter, what about contacts (IIF)...? And in the case of glasses as a Focus, could standard knockback be enough to knock them off...?

(Sorry for the many, many questions...)

Makes sense. But how does that play out in Fantasy campaigns. A power with broad sword (OAF)' date=' and the sword breaksm then he borrows a friend's similar Broad sword. Are they both generally OIF of Opportunity, or is this built all wrong, and should be, say "+1d6 RKA, Only Usable with Broadswords". I'm a little confused. Presumably, Green Lantern doesn't need A ring, he needs THE ring. I also get confused about a power with charges, representing the ammo FOR the gun, not necessarily IN the gun. If a Green ARROW guy gets his bow broken, he can still hurl his arrows, or possibly take his arch enemy's bow and use his arrows with that, right? So how does THAT math out...? Are the arrows OAF? Is there some kind of 0 Range, must be hurled, thrown or launched?[/quote']

See the JLA thread in my sig below for example builds of Green Lantern and his Power Ring as well as Green Arrow. My 6e versions use VPP's for both the Ring and the Bow & Arrows. I dealt with the issue of the Ring(s) by building them as a follower AI which has a VPP with a Naked UBO Advantage. The PC wearer pays for the Ring by way of the Follower rules. How well another character can use the Ring is determined by the Ring/AI character sheet instead of the original GL sheet (since ALL of the Rings are identical). In the case of Green Arrow, the VPP represents the trick arrows and is essentially just a version of Batman's Utility Belt with far more emphasis placed on combat usefulness. The Bow is just the enabler of range for most of the abilities (defined by way of a limitation on the overall VPP if a bow is not available).

OK- so this has me back to calling the Trick Shot Multipower Pool carrying an "OAF limitation - must posses usable High-Velocity Projectile Weapon", or something more cleverly phrased. So much to consider.

Related Question: Could someone limit points of OCV as "Must be wearing corrective lenses" to represent someone who can't see squat without their glasses? If so, could this be applied to INT for purposes of Perception Rolls? Or Missile Deflection, etc?

The player in question couldn't grab just anyone's glasses. They'd need to be at or near their prescription level.

AND, if all this is possible, how can it be reverse engineered to represent "Targeting Glasses"...? For that matter, what about contacts (IIF)...? And in the case of glasses as a Focus, could standard knockback be enough to knock them off...?

No need to apologize for any questions asked.

Well, you've touched on another topic - appropriate place to put certain character limitations (note lowercase). "Needs to wear glasses" is probably most appropriate as a Physical Complication with appropriate severity level to what it affects (reduced PER Roll, loss of access to Combat Skill Levels, etc...) and the you adjust the frequency level to how often you think this will affect them (losing glasses in combat, stolen outside of combat, etc). After that, someone targeting specifically their glasses should suffer a penalty to get them - they're located on the head (already a -8) and a specific part of the head (eye area, a suggest -12 IIRC - not on top of the Head Location, instead of). And then you can adjust for how easy they might get knocked off (do they have the held in place in any way special). You could decide on Dex Rolls for them being knocked off, Luck/Unluck Rolls, or Dramatic Tension - but ultimately it's driven by the Frequency/Severity of it all.

It's a bit of a judgement call honestly on that one. But if glasses are built as a Focus, then it just comes down to Accessible or Inaccessible as to how easy they are to remove - and there's rules for that in the book.

Makes sense. But how does that play out in Fantasy campaigns. A power with broad sword (OAF)' date=' and the sword breaksm then he borrows a friend's similar Broad sword. Are they both generally OIF of Opportunity, or is this built all wrong, and should be, say "+1d6 RKA, Only Usable with Broadswords".[/quote']

The one character that is better with broadswords, usually builds that with Weaponmaster Talent (or just CSL with broadswords). But that suffers from the DC-doubling rule, if it is in effect.

You could maybe buy +1d6 KA, defeined as working with Broadswords for no Limitation. (the fact that it can just add is enough to counter any limitation). Where this stands on the DC-doubling rule is a GM call. Technically it augments the base attack.

I'm a little confused. Presumably' date=' Green Lantern doesn't need A ring, he needs THE ring.[/quote']

Not the ring. A Green Lantern Ring. there are at least 3.600 of them in the galaxy. On the other hand, getting your hand on a ersatz-rign can be tricky - green lanterns don't seem to lend rings to another and a loen ring usually searches a new wielder. Plus the next GL tends to be a sector away. And we already got to the bottom of the Focus Limitation anyway.

So: "IIF (Green Lantern Ring of opportunity; -1/4)" on his "Green Energy Manipulation" Multipower.

I also get confused about a power with charges' date=' representing the ammo FOR the gun, not necessarily IN the gun.[/quote']

That is afaik covered by the focus on the gun itself. The same way a Grenade belt is built as:

"[Grenade Damage/effect], Area of Effect, Charges, OIF" and the limitation covers single grenades/charges being affected as OAF's.

If a Green ARROW guy gets his bow broken' date=' he can still hurl his arrows, or possibly take his arch enemy's bow and use his arrows with that, right? So how does THAT math out...? Are the arrows OAF? Is there some kind of 0 Range, must be hurled, thrown or launched?[/quote']

Do we talk about something he regulary does, or are this one of kind situations?

A variable Limitation or a handwritten one can solve that: OAF (Bow) or No Range (-1/4)

As one of a kidn thing, thsi can just happen. No need to write every last use down.

Related Question: Could someone limit points of OCV as "Must be wearing corrective lenses" to represent someone who can't see squat without their glasses? If so' date=' could this be applied to INT for purposes of Perception Rolls? Or Missile Deflection, etc?[/quote']

A bonus to his normal rolls? Overall Skill Level, limited (only OCV & Perception Rolls), Focus. The focus is personal.

Is he limited when not havign his glasses? Physical Complciation (Minor effect: -3 to perception and range combat rolls).

By definition any OAF can be disarmed. See Ranged Disarm in 6E2.

On the other hand characters retain thier grip on any OAF when knocked back (otherwise archers would be disarmed very often).

Contact lenses would for me not even be a Focus. You need very special training to notice/know of them, or remove them. A ring is IIF, something on the surface of your eye rather not.

Great responses!

Q: Concerning your (Ghost-Angel's) comment about how hard it would be to grab glasses - while logical, doesn't that circumvent the standard "Grab-Move-Neutralizes-focus) approach? If the focus presents (very?) challenging CV modifiers, shouldn't that diminish the value of the focus in the first place? Otherwise, players would have all kinds of bead-of-rice sized foci. Silly kids...

Variable Advantage you (Christopher) described seems like the cure-all. "...OAF (Bow) or No Range (-1/4)".

So, assuming the disarm OAF and "holds on to Focus during Knockback" stuff is on point, someone COULD have an OAF with a FURTHER limitation (goes flying from hand and rendered useless by ANY Knockback). Minus....? More than -1...?

This is SOOOOO off from the original point, but the glasses thing has me thinking the solution might be:

Physical Complication: Poor Eye Sight (Minor effect: -3 to perception and range combat rolls).

+3 to Perception Rolls (Corrective Lenses): OAF (-1), goes flying from head after suffering Knockback (-1/2).

...green lanterns don't seem to lend rings to another and a loen ring usually searches a new wielder. Plus the next GL tends to be a sector away. And we already got to the bottom of the Focus Limitation anyway.

So: "IIF (Green Lantern Ring of opportunity; -1/4)" on his "Green Energy Manipulation" Multipower.

That brings up an interesting point. In cases where the Focus (magical or otherwise) is deemed to be inhabited or controlled by "an intelligence", is THAT intelligence vulnerable to Mental or EGO attacks...? Or Mind Control...? Or PRE attacks? Or even just simple persuasion...?

That brings up an interesting point. In cases where the Focus (magical or otherwise) is deemed to be inhabited or controlled by "an intelligence"' date=' is THAT intelligence vulnerable to Mental or EGO attacks...? Or Mind Control...? Or PRE attacks? Or even just simple persuasion...?[/quote']

Do we talk about "plot point" vulnerable, or "any mentalist in the gameworld" vulnerable?

As long as the items intelligence is not written up as a Computer or Sefl-Acting Focus I would say any form of Mind Controll would happen on plot level only.

A small exception are all technological Foci. According to APG I 70 all technoligcal Foci can be affected by Cyberkinesis (Mental Powers vs. Machine Group).

It even goes on to list some "simualted Intelligence" scores (intelligence is used instead of ego to resist mental powers, when no ego score exists). Foci have a simulated Int equal to thier PD/ED/Body (AP/5).

Great responses!

Q: Concerning your (Ghost-Angel's) comment about how hard it would be to grab glasses - while logical, doesn't that circumvent the standard "Grab-Move-Neutralizes-focus) approach? If the focus presents (very?) challenging CV modifiers, shouldn't that diminish the value of the focus in the first place? Otherwise, players would have all kinds of bead-of-rice sized foci. Silly kids...

It's either Inaccessible or Not A Focus in that case. The Glasses - for example - as a Physical Complication are Not A Focus, the Character gets No Points Reduced, but they also get the benefit of that: it's really hard to knock their glasses off (at least a -8 Head Shot, or an even worse one for the glasses specifically). Not a Limitation = Not A Limitation. But A Complication does have it's own downsides and you can't ignore them, but they are under the purview of different specific rules and dramatic story points.

If they define it as a Focus, it's the standard attack against a Focus and Accessibility determines how easy it is to remove.