Remote directed Weapons & Stretching

Christopher

I have the idea for a character who has the ability to "telekinetically" controll two Chakram/throwing rings/Tron-style-diski and controll them from afar. And not only "throw and return" - but throwing then controlling them across multiple phases (somewhat like Freizas energy disks in Dragon Ball Z).

Generally I would just do that with "Telekinesis, Only Personal Weapon X (-2)" and call it a day.

But recently I had an alternative idea:

Stretching, Does not Cross Intervening Space (+1/4), Only to remote direct Weapon X (-1/4), Only to cause damage (-1/2)

The interesting part is that the two downsides of stretching - taking the effects of damage shields and being exposed to being grabbed - are already covered by the Focus on the weapon.

When the weapon is grabbed while "stretched" the character has the choice to either wrestle free (escape the grab) or let go of the weapon.

So, what do you guys sthink about it:

Usefull alternative to TK, or potentially unbalanced?

Re: Remote directed Weapons & Stretching

Then I could continue to affact the same target if I hit it in the first phase' date=' but not choose different targets every phase.[/quote']

Why couldn't you choose different targets every Phase? You'd have to make new Attack Rolls, but you would with Stretching or with TK-on-the-weapon too...

Why couldn't you choose different targets every Phase? You'd have to make new Attack Rolls' date=' but you would with Stretching or with TK-on-the-weapon too...[/quote']

Now I remember why not as well:

The attack isn't ranged. Continous does not helps me to attack targets at range in the first place. And using a Blast/RKA means I can't use STR either.

Now I remember why not as well:

The attack isn't ranged. Continous does not helps me to attack targets at range in the first place. And using a Blast/RKA means I can't use STR either.

Buy ranged + Continuous. Then you could still use strength.

Also Continous affects the DC-calculation.

Well, it is a pretty powerful combination.

I'd build it something like the following:

25 Tron Disk: Blast 10d6, Constant (+1/2) (75 Active Points); OAF (Tron Disk; -1), 1 Recoverable Continuing Charge lasting 1 Minute (Can be Grabbed; -1/2), Costs Half Endurance (-1/4), Beam (-1/4) - END=3

Since it uses the Focus rules a second 'disk' would cost 5 additional points.

If it's intended to be a killing attack just trade out Blast with HKA & Ranged.

Wouldn't this just be Indirect? If you can swing the energy disks around every which way' date=' it seems like just an attack with Fully Indirect. If you miss, the disk is still there, and then you make another attack roll as you swing it around for another attempt.[/quote']

Indirect without Range or Stretching wouldn't do much except possibly get around a 'shield bonus' like a Flail in Fantasy Hero.

Well ... actually he can get what he wants - just use the Stretching construct above. The only part that's custom there is the "Only to direct remote weapon X" limitation, and that's only -1/4. In fact, I've seen Stretching / Does Not Cross Space used to represent limited telekinesis before, and it seemed to work pretty well.

I've noticed that people are pretty quick to jump on the "stop trying to get free Strength, just use Blast" approach, and IME all it does is direct players to slightly different (and often more powerful/versatile) concepts. IMO, the Strength bonus on HA/HKA should either be eliminated, or it should be given out freely. Making it available but finicky to access just results in favoring certain concepts over others.

My question was:

If I already have a HKA with Focus, would it okay to use stretching instead of telekinesis to remotely control it?

Buy ranged + Continuous. Then you could still use strength.

Any (additional) advantage on teh attack would mean the active points increase (not a good thing for any form of Framework.

It would also considerably worsen how damage adds from STR, CSL and Maneuvers.

One real weakness in Hero, IMO, is that we have compound modifiers, and Focus is a prime example. Although it is, overall, a limitation, it comes with numerous advantages built in. I would much rather see modifiers that, certainly to a greater extent than we have at present, are only advantages or limitations.

OK, I'm ranting about that because , although this build makes me feel dirty, I can not exactly say why**, and I suspect it is because it will employ a focus*. I can not see anything wrong with the build, but I would, with GM head on, clarify that any weapon that is used with this form of stretching can not 'come back' without crossing the intervening space - I'm presuming that the 'only to remote direct weapon' accomplishes that: it is not the weapon that stretches.

Also I feel that 'only to cause damage' may not be worth anything whent he power can only be used with weapons. Most weapons only do damage.

*If the attack is not built as a focus, I've some other comments...if the thing that you are manipulating is not a focus i.e. if this is a heroic game power, then we have other issues:

1. What is a weapon? Can you pick up an opponent and use them as a weapon?

2. Does the weapon have to start 'with' you, or can you pick it up at a distance?

3. I'd be inclined in that instance to say that a bit of you has to be over there if you are 'holding' that sword/chakram/custard pie. Sorry, can not hold custard pies as they do no damage.

**Actually I can: you should not get advantages (immunity to DS/Grab) from limitations - see initial rant.