NBC Revolution

Nolgroth

Re: NBC Revolution

The first thing that went through my mind after watching that scene was that they'd ripped off a

bit from Jericho (a secret network of folks with a [somehow] functional computer network).

Major Tom 2009 :cool:

Minus 40 and counting...

I thought of the magical IBM Selectric in Fringe.

I can just about accept all of the premises in the show--so long as I just assume that everyone's trapped in a VR simulation. The pendant and magical computer terminal would be a way of communicating with whomever is on the outside.

Alas, I don't think that the ultimate reason behind the bad science and stay-clean clothes will be that cool.

JoeG

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it was lame. Everyone was too clean and groomed for a PA/Dystopian future. Even the scumbags they ran into in the airplane fuselage. Acting was flat. The show was too derivative of others that came before it like Jericho, The Postman and Hunger Games. Maybe the show will get better, but at this point I don't have high hopes. And I expected better of director John Favreau. I guess he just didn't have much to work with if the screenplay was simply "meh"

Just finished the pilot. Sadly' date=' it's all I expected. I'm just hoping that

it's all a virtual reality simulation after the Singularity that the characters can't get out of. That would explain the wonky physics, the new clothes that don't seem to get dirty, the asthma inhaler that still works after 15 years, and the magical pendant that allows a computer to dial up another one for a chat. With any luck, that's a connection to the outside world, and we're actually looking at a Philip K. Dick story like [i']Ubik[/i]. Otherwise, it's a cheap rip-off of "Flash Forward", a bit of "Lost", a bit of "Fringe" and a clone of the lead from "The Hunger Games"

JoeG

And lets not forget the soldiers from "The Postman"

I thought it was okay. It's worth tuning in for a few episodes to see how it turns out. At least they explained why not too many people have firearms. The sword fighting scene was pretty good; I hope to see some unarmed martial arts thrown into the mix as well.

What was the reason?

Makes some sense. Except' date=' if civilization is falling apart the way they implied in trailers, not sure you have time to go keep up with civilians.[/quote']

The show takes place 15 years after the lights go out, so we don't have the details on what happend in the intirim yet.

They do mention multiple Republics that have sprung up across the country. So it might just be a hanging offence in Monroe Republic, the area around Chicago that is run by General Monroe and that is the background of the show thus far.

Some of Monroe's men had firearms, but several of them were black powder muskets.

I'm thinking of starting a San Francisco-based game in this universe.

Edit: I had thought about doing something like this a few years back, but one of my players wasn't interested in a post-apocalyptic campaign. Maybe he'll change his mind now. I would have set it at least 100 years after the apocalypse, though.

I'm thinking of starting a San Francisco-based game in this universe.

Edit: I had thought about doing something like this a few years back, but one of my players wasn't interested in a post-apocalyptic campaign. Maybe he'll change his mind now. I would have set it at least 100 years after the apocalypse, though.

I'd suggest Jack McDevitt's Eternity Road, though that takes place quite a long time after the event that depopulates much of the world. It's a much better setup than Revolution.

http://www.amazon.com/Eternity-Road-Jack-McDevitt/dp/0061054275

JoeG

The show takes place 15 years after the lights go out, so we don't have the details on what happend in the intirim yet.

They do mention multiple Republics that have sprung up across the country. So it might just be a hanging offence in Monroe Republic, the area around Chicago that is run by General Monroe and that is the background of the show thus far.

Some of Monroe's men had firearms, but several of them were black powder muskets.

I was metagaming a bit. It would be understanable that a tinpot general would be a bit wary of civilian guns after all. I was just pondering how practical it would be to enforce after everything falls apart. (as an afterthought, it might actually come down to gun attitude for the area before everything went bad. The Post-Texans would probably hang the people who tried to enforce it :doi:)

Actually there are quite a few others as well. I looked at the map they have at Battery Chamberlain, and there are still quite a few scattered across the Presidio and Marin Headlands. My favorite is the 5" pop up model they have on display at Chamberlain.

Yeah, I watched it. I was generally unimpressed, but I'll give it a chance. J.J. Abrams is kinda hit or miss with me. I hope he has a more coherent metaplot than he did for Lost... I gave up on it and have had a hell of a time motivating myself to finish watching it, despite the vast number of hours I've already logged.

Uncle Drunken Badass amused me quite a bit, I confess. He's totally the kind of character I'd play.

Everything did strike me as too clean as well. It just didn't really scream "We're 15 years after the Apocalypse" to me, and I really, really hope he gives us a semi-plausible explanation for the magic amulets (I know a plausible explanation for the magical internet is too much to ask)

Actually there are quite a few others as well. I looked at the map they have at Battery Chamberlain, and there are still quite a few scattered across the Presidio and Marin Headlands. My favorite is the 5" pop up model they have on display at Chamberlain.

Yeah, I watched it. I was generally unimpressed, but I'll give it a chance. J.J. Abrams is kinda hit or miss with me. I hope he has a more coherent metaplot than he did for Lost... I gave up on it and have had a hell of a time motivating myself to finish watching it, despite the vast number of hours I've already logged.

Uncle Drunken Badass amused me quite a bit, I confess. He's totally the kind of character I'd play.

Everything did strike me as too clean as well. It just didn't really scream "We're 15 years after the Apocalypse" to me, and I really, really hope he gives us a semi-plausible explanation for the magic amulets (I know a plausible explanation for the magical internet is too much to ask)

Oh, he was behind Lost. I think I change my mind about trying it. My mother quit watching Lost because she "got tired of being confused". She was wondering about whether to watch this. Better notify her not to bother.

Note: She was also got a bit confused a couple times with Jericho. I dont completely understand why. But, best not to ask.