Clothes only TK

yamamura

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Clothes only TK

OTOH, the rules probably would not let you do that. I am wearing clothes. I can lift clothes by TK. If I am wearing the clothes I lift by TK, can I lift myself? A clear rules 'No'. Probably.

...and despite the fact thet TK is supposed to be reactionless.

That isn't a clear rules "no" - the way I read the TK rules, it would be perfectly legal, except you would add the person's weight to the weight of the clothing for calculating how much weight you are lifting.

It isn't any different than someone with TK lifting a platform, which happens to have people on it.

That isn't a clear rules "no" - the way I read the TK rules, it would be perfectly legal, except you would add the person's weight to the weight of the clothing for calculating how much weight you are lifting.

It isn't any different than someone with TK lifting a platform, which happens to have people on it.

But what if one of the people on the platform/in the clothes is YOU? Can't lift yourself using TK!

It is a teen Supers campaign. One of the character can manipulate cloth and we got into a discussion whether he could pick someone up by lifting the cloth. If I was the GM I would rule a little heavy handed that it violates the spirit of the power but I am not and the GM asked me to post a question. Personally I might allow it but if allowing the character to affect the person by affecting via the clothes, I would also allow the person being lifted to break out of the hold by using STR/Escape (with a chance of some clothes tearing).

It is a teen Supers campaign. One of the character can manipulate cloth and we got into a discussion whether he could pick someone up by lifting the cloth. If I was the GM I would rule a little heavy handed that it violates the spirit of the power but I am not and the GM asked me to post a question. Personally I might allow it but if allowing the character to affect the person by affecting via the clothes' date=' I would also allow the person being lifted to break out of the hold by using STR/Escape (with a chance of some clothes tearing).[/quote']

Prepare for a lot of naked protagonists then...

Okay this is just a general consensus question. If some one has bought TK limited only to clothes would you allow them to lift someone by lifting their clothes? Also if you do allow that' date=' would you allow the person being lifted a STR/Escape roll to escape the lift?[/quote']

Probably not, but depends on how the limitation is written.

Only works against Clothes and Must Involve Clothes are two very different limitations.

I would say it would depend on the cloth. Light clothing would probably rip off instantly while work clothes would last a little longer otherwise the limitation wouldn't be worth much unless your campaign involves a lot of nudist colonies and stripper clubs which would probably be inappropriate for a teen champions game.

I would say it would depend on the cloth. Light clothing would probably rip off instantly while work clothes would last a little longer otherwise the limitation wouldn't be worth much unless your campaign involves a lot of nudist colonies and stripper clubs which would probably be inappropriate for a teen champions game.

It also wouldn't affect powered armor characters, robots, vehicles, or just 'random stuff laying around' like trash cans or rocks. That's fairly significant, I think, though not outright crippling.

I was waiting for you to chime in on this. :)

It also wouldn't affect powered armor characters' date=' robots, vehicles, or just 'random stuff laying around' like trash cans or rocks. That's fairly significant, I think, though not outright crippling.[/quote']

Iron man doesn't wear Calvin Kleins? Seriously: it would be WORSE inside power armour...

...?

If your teen hero game involves a lot of teens, if I remember correctly, having all your clotes torn off was just the beginning of a memorable evening.

In a TEEN game, ABSOLUTELY not, your going to wind up with a lot of naked people if you allow this (it would be REALLY difficult to describe why someone couldn't just take off their clothes, esp girls in dresses, skirts and the like.) Also note that many clothes would not support the weight of their wearer if you tried this (and if you were flying them at any height/speed when they came out you would have no way to save them so it could easily result in their death.)

If I was GM i would allow at MOST a (-0) limitation stating that the target must be wearing cloth. It's not really restrictive enough to be worth more than that (unless only a particular kind of cloth can be manipulated, ie not synthetics, etc.) I would not allow you to remove someone's clothing either (unless I was playing some sort of Adult HERO game for some unknown reason, and even then would require fine manipulation.)

If you did allow something like this, i wouldn't require a roll at all. Slipping out of most clothes would be quite easy if you are willing to suffer the consequences (nudity and possibly falling). Maybe for some sort of tight pants a roll would be required...... but that would be about it (and would really be taking this campaign in an odd direction... Bedroom Hero anyone?)

I guess the real sticking point is how diverse you consider 'clothes'? Because, as it stands, it sounds pretty diverse since you'd be able to target everyone unless, as previously stated, the target's naked (or the guy in the power suit is going commando). You'd miss out on lifting objects and 'punching' with it but that's probably just a slight limitation (-1/4 to -1/2 at best).

With regards to the using it on your own clothing question, I probably wouldn't allow it as a GM simply because it's too similar to using it as 'flying'. It's a fine line there but using it like that sounds like they're trying to dodge the limitations on the power.

Side note, since I'm running a teen superhero campaign at the moment right now I have to give whoever came up with this idea props as it's gonna have some golden opportunities later on.

I think the sfx needs to be narrowed down a little further. Clothes doesn't tell us what materials. If all materials then why just clothes. Is it a psychological hangup and not really a limit of the power? If just specific materials it could lead to some funny results. "I can't affect them! They must be wearing polyester!" :D

I think the sfx needs to be narrowed down a little further. Clothes doesn't tell us what materials. If all materials then why just clothes. Is it a psychological hangup and not really a limit of the power? If just specific materials it could lead to some funny results. "I can't affect them! They must be wearing polyester!" :D

Or the shocking realization that said target is strangely unaffected by your attempts to give them a wedgie.